High polygons for Skyrim; need your opinions

s666

Hello,

for the next new mod of Blabba, the CITRUS project, i try to add new meshes for vanilla armors and clothes (maybe more for the future) in game.

I have some troubles with textures for the moment, (just that don't working), but i going to try to find a solution.

Why have more polygons?

1- it's really more realistic

2- more beautiful

3- it's essential for bodyslide mod.

This is the result when i going to finish :

733163Capture.png158440Capture1.png470758Capture2.png522520Capture3.png

What do you think?

Looks awesome!

I still have to touch up and finish my 3dsmax Script for Bodyslide export as part of it was because I wanted to allow for increases in polycount as you have just shown.

At the very least, if the above seams too performance heavy to do for all meshes, I would suggest maybe doing partial subdivisions across areas that get distorted too easily.

(Like boobs, butt and maybe legs for some) Using Partial Subdivisions, this way you can save some work on skinning and UV'ing the new meshes :)

Anyway keep up the great work!

Yeah i trought to the same idea, but i tested in game i have invisible armor for the moment (textures don't work) but nothing loss FPS, that stay playable for Skyrim, if i will use toomuch polygons, 3dsmax block the conversion. (i believe it's 65k max, but i don't remember.)

it looks like, on the monk robes is it?, you're running 16 or 20 to 1 polygons.

That 1 outfit will use up as much resources as looking up the first street in whiterun. Cuz it's not just the polygons, it's the passes.

That outfit IIRC is max 1500 polys. After 4 render passes (diffuse, msn, spec, alpha) that's 6000 rendering polygons to be accounted for. Granted it's not REALLY that simple, as modern video cards will -- for lack of a better phrase -- "mash" some data together per pass, but it still has to do the math and render it. Even so, it's not out of line to think of it this way when budgeting scenery. Daedric takes it a step further by adding a glowmap (another pass)

Bottom line: A 10k polygon outfit = 40k budgeted polygons... I'm pretty sure that eats the lunch of even the most complex scenes in skyrim.

TBPH if you did nothing more than double the polygons, you'd have a severely dramatic improvement in visuals without destroying a modern rig on a 3 yo game. Even then, a better MSN and a parallax pass on something like robes and especially on daedric armor, could give a TON of depth but only add a pass or two on the rendering. And this is exactly what msn and parallax layers were made for: adding depth and detail to a scene with minimum impact to performance.

it looks like, on the monk robes is it?, you're running 16 or 20 to 1 polygons.

That 1 outfit will use up as much resources as looking up the first street in whiterun. Cuz it's not just the polygons, it's the passes.

That outfit IIRC is max 1500 polys. After 4 render passes (diffuse, msn, spec, alpha) that's 6000 rendering polygons to be accounted for. Granted it's not REALLY that simple, as modern video cards will -- for lack of a better phrase -- "mash" some data together per pass, but it still has to do the math and render it. Even so, it's not out of line to think of it this way when budgeting scenery. Daedric takes it a step further by adding a glowmap (another pass)

Bottom line: A 10k polygon outfit = 40k budgeted polygons... I'm pretty sure that eats the lunch of even the most complex scenes in skyrim.

TBPH if you did nothing more than double the polygons, you'd have a severely dramatic improvement in visuals without destroying a modern rig on a 3 yo game. Even then, a better MSN and a parallax pass on something like robes and especially on daedric armor, could give a TON of depth but only add a pass or two on the rendering. And this is exactly what msn and parallax layers were made for: adding depth and detail to a scene with minimum impact to performance.

Good theory, terrible implementation.

Parallax looks horrendous on anything capable of turning independently of the rendered viewing angle and will stretch the hell out of the affected map relative to the viewer at anything other than a level view at a head on angle.

We're already dealing with W/MSNs in the 80meg range after optimization passes, so the approach he's taking is actually the right one on any card after the nv500X/r100x series, where three of the passes you're talking about are fully resolved before a line of rasterization ever occurs on screen with little overhead.

I did full depth cued parallax passes on DooM ]i['s monsters and HL2's Combine, and it wasn't pretty.

Parallax is fine on static or rotationally fixed/constant items, anything with mesh deformation or capable of independent rotation relative to the viewing angle (you know like characters, props, monsters, weapons, tree that animate)  looks like absolute shit at anything other than directly viewed angle, edge-on or otherwise and as if it's bugged or has a fucked up normal map, especially as it nears a right angle relative to the viewer.

I am currently using Demonica with a slightly modified skeleton and custom HDT.xml. High poly models when rigged correctly are far more realistic than the lower poly character models.

pclp did an exemplary rigging job on the TBBP version of Demonica and this shows with the extra polygons.

High poly is worth it when it comes to realistic levels of physics.

Yeah i trought to the same idea, but i tested in game i have invisible armor for the moment (textures don't work) but nothing loss FPS, that stay playable for Skyrim, if i will use toomuch polygons, 3dsmax block the conversion. (i believe it's 65k max, but i don't remember.)

You can detach parts of the mesh (like left arm + torso + right arm or whatever) and then you can export more polys. The downside is then you have to make a bsdismember for each part.

Archived