Glitches, what they are, why they occur and how to fix them

baitlob

i've seen in a lot of threads 'i'm getting x happening and i don't know why' and i've stumbled across and fixed most of these errors myself. i'm still kind of a noob, but i'm hoping this thread will help people figure out why the mod they installed isnt working. i don't know all of the glitches or issues, nor do i know all the fixes, hoping as this thread gets older people can help me with fixes and such.. this isn't a walkthrough on how to get started, there's plenty of those, this is after you get started, why isnt it working properly. hopefully this will help people help themselves, rather than having to bug mod makers all the time.

Problem:

'help! x character (chest/legs/feet/head) is (purple/grey/missing)! why can't i see it?'

Cause 1:

If an armor that's being worn is missing its mesh, it'll be invisible

Cause 2:

If an item has shape, but is missing its texture file (.dds) it'll show up as bright purple.

Solution:

Make sure that you've gotten all requirements for the mod, MBP, XEO, MBP++, or maybe the mod is just an ESP and you need to get the original mod (japanese mod usually), and install it first.

You may have installed it into the textures folder, but it may not be in the correct place, consult the readme, make sure that the files are in the right path (path is very important to meshes and textures)

finally, load order. you see people posting their load order all the time, usually the readme will specify the load order you should have, and usually it's important. BOSS won't sort lovers plugins for you, so sadly you have to do a bit of reading and adjusting.

Problem:

googly eyes, one eye is black/grey on certain characters, general eye problems

Cause:

the problem is caused by incompatible eye textures being used on different eye meshes, has to do with the races and the eye textures available for that race.

Solution:

head on over to this illustrated and very informative thread which explains how to fix it yourself:

http://www.loverslab.com/index.php?topic=375.0

Problem:

'Sometimes females have this weird, pink translucent underwear when naked.'

Cause:

That usually happens when the textures are partially overlapping some other mod.

Solution:

Disable the mod and then get OBMM to invalidate the older files. see below for instructions on archiveinvalidated, solution thanks to sora3

Problem:

Help! my breasts stretch to away to infinity and beyond!

Cause:

your body is trying to use 'bones' that aren't there. your skeleton is incompatible. usually it's an issue with BBB armors and mods, but other objects can cause it too

Solution:

this: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27945 it's a skeleton that's designed to accommodate wings, penises, and boobs. yes boobs have bones, don't question the logic.

If for some reason you get an issue in first person mode, there is a seperate skeleton for first person mode.. if you have this glitch, try reinstalling your skeleton, something may have overwritten it

Problem:

'i just installed x (body/vanilla armor replacer/mod that turns all existing dogs models into sheograth) and it's not working'

Cause:

Anything that overwrites an existing asset, something that's already in the game, and requires no ESP, just a mesh or texture will not load, unless you have archiveinvalidated on.

Solution:

Activate archiveinvalidated, easiest way is through obmm, just go to utilities, archive invalidation, and BSA redirection.

Problem:

Sometimes someone will come up to me and it'll all be gibberish and i can't understand their moonspeak!

Cause:

English language versions of oblivion don't have the necessary fonts to handle foreign characters, what you're seeing is a garbled up text from some other language, russian, chinese, japanese, whatever. Unless you can read these languages yourself, there's no real need to do anything with it, there are patches so you can 'view' these text, but i can't find any right now. so no solution for you.

Problem:

Crash to desktop on oblivion load (before going into the game)

Cause 1:

the main one is missing requirement. if you don't have the right load order, it will quit after it determines this. double check your requirements, if you're running obmm, try the conflict detector, it'll pop up immediately saying 'x mod requires y.'

Cause 2:

non mod related, make sure you have the latest vc++ redistributable, and the game is installed correctly. try disabling all mods (it's just temporary, relax) then running, if it still doesn't run, reinstall the game, whatever installer you use (steam, cd, hax) will usually install the necessary pre-reqs first before

Cause 3: by mashi

Invalid or corrupt oblivion.ini(caused by OBMM/Wryebash being open at the same time and saving two sets of variables or saving a variable twice and causing a conflict) or

Using multiple installs of oblivion but not correctly changing your ini file.

Problem:

Crash to desktop when loading a savegame

Cause 1:

Corrupt savegame. this happens for a number of reasons, usually something didnt quite mesh, or something was screwed up, it's a magical glitch that isnt possible to fix, be glad you save often and not always on the same spot, right?.... right? right.

Cause 2:

Non-clean save, missing dependencies. You're in a dungeon.. and wearing some kickass mod armor. you save and exit. you ruminate and decide the armor isnt very kickass anymore, so you disable it's ESP... you load up.. and the game tries to find the armor you're wearing. 'whoops' it crashes. sometimes it's not an armor, but a function of a mod that's running in the background.

Cause 3:

mod conflict, happens sometimes, mod makers don't always talk to each other and there's so many from so many countries they may do things that conflict. it's rare but it does happen. easiest way to diagnose this is try and start a new game. if new game crashes, it's usually this. if newgame works, it's one of the others (usually).

Cause 4:

System resources.. oblivion is kind of silly, it loads up everything in an area and holds it into memory until you're done with it. that's why the more mods you have the longer the loading time. it's good for performance. but if it runs out it just gets an error 'whoops' and crashes. this is especially common in the market district and anvil docks, which are heavily populated with NPC's and clutter.  mashi in another thread recommended a neat little app that may help with this: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php , i haven't tried it myself, but if it works as directed, it should allow you to use more memory than normal, good for 'kickass rigs' that could use more ram, but are limited by oblivion's 32 bit nature

Cause 5:

Not running the proper requirements, mentioned before in cause 2, make sure you're running the right version of OBSE, and that you have all the requirements, and that they're up to date.

Cause 6: by mashi

Bad or invalid OBSE/Pluggy save data.  Pluggy can fix itself most of the time(blue sky reset warning), buggy/corrupt OBSE saves which are caused by a mod, are unrecoverable.  Can sometimes be recovered by making a clean save. (disabling the problem mod, loading up oblivion, saving.. then exit oblivion, reload the problem mod, with the save, may/may not work)

Problem:

My OBSE mod isn't working right, I'm trying to do something and what's supposed to happen isn't. / I updated a OBSE mod, and not stuff isn't working right or is broken.

Solution: By mashi

Create a clean save.  You will lose all of your existing saved info for that mod however.  This might be a bit more of a pain depending on how the mod handles OBSE.  You may need to delete your obse save as well, losing all obse saved data.

Problem:

My save games are HUGE and/or crashing.

Solution: By mashi

Create a clean save.  Find out what mod it is, and contact the author.  Save game bloat, can also create crashes when loading saves(too much data).

Please feel free to suggest any other common glitches and solutions in the thread and i'll try and keep it updated.

If you're using LoversBed, and your character is sinking through the bed or assuming really wacky positions, check to see if you have any other mods changing beds after LoversBed in the load order. Moving LoversBed down in the load order so that it loads after other mods that affect beds may fix the problem.

Not sure what causes this' date=' but Sometimes females have this weird, pink translucent underwear when naked.

It happened when I activated HGEC_Body_with_BBB_v1dot1-34442

[/quote']

That usually happens when the textures are partially overlapping some other mod. Disable the mod and then get OBMM to invalidate the older files.

By far good stuff other stuff to add for the "Crash to desktop on oblivion load (before going into the game)"

Invalid or corrupt oblivion.ini(caused by OBMM/Wryebash being open at the same time and saving two sets of variables or saving a variable twice and causing a conflict) or

Using multiple installs of oblivion but not correctly changing your ini file.

Other stuff for: "Crash to desktop when loading a savegame"

Bad or invalid OBSE/Pluggy save data.  Pluggy can fix itself most of the time(blue sky reset warning), buggy/corrupt OBSE saves which are caused by a mod, are unrecoverable.  Can sometimes be recovered by making a clean save.

Problem: My OBSE mod isn't working right, I'm trying to do something and what's supposed to happen isn't. / I updated a OBSE mod, and not stuff isn't working right or is broken.

Solution: Create a clean save.  You will lose all of your existing saved info for that mod however.  This might be a bit more of a pain depending on how the mod handles OBSE.  You may need to delete your obse save as well, losing all obse saved data.

Problem: My save games are HUGE and/or crashing.

Solution:  Create a clean save.  Find out what mod it is, and contact the author.  Save game bloat, can also create crashes when loading saves(too much data).

mashi i haven't had any of those problems myself, to create a 'clean savegame', could you elaborate? do you simply mean 'disable the mods', load up the savegame.. save. then load up the mods again? or is there something more elaborate involving pluggy/obse?

Cause 4:

System resources.. Yep. This one can be a real bugaboo. Especially if you happen to be running something like MMM Increased Spawns. Those 5 goblins milling about the cave entrance, suddenly become 20. The game engine has to keep track of all 20 of those goblins. You would not believe what that does to your system resources. Ouch!

Guest Donkey

Oblivion engine was not optimized to encounter more then 5 enemies at a time. You will notice this when there are several npc entering where you are, it takes more time for any npc to reactivate. That is why they stand still for while then start working again.

Fallout 3 was major step forward, wish oblivion was this well optimized, since both use the same engine.

mashi i haven't had any of those problems myself' date=' to create a 'clean savegame', could you elaborate? do you simply mean 'disable the mods', load up the savegame.. save. then load up the mods again? or is there something more elaborate involving pluggy/obse?

[/quote']

A clean save is an existing save loaded with the misbehaving mod unloaded.  Then a new save is created, game exited fully then new save reloaded.  There can be more elaborate stuff with OBSE related mods, because it depends on how the OBSE mod behaves, and what info is supposed to persist across saves.  In which case you need to delete the *.obse named saves separately.  If pluggy finds that there's bad data it'll erase the existing save, then resave with new data.  But it's always a 'what, if, maybe' type of thing with pluggy just like OBSE.

May I add another annoying glitch?

You are about to explore a new cell when suddenly your game stops for a moment, then you get the expression you zoom out of the picture for about half a second in a kind of jerking motion and then the game crashes to desktop.

Has anybody else experienced this too and what are the solutions?

... zoom out of the picture for about half a second in a kind of jerking motion and then the game crashes to desktop.

Has anybody else experienced this too and what are the solutions?

That's a cell buffer problem, or too many existing cells in memory and the game running out.  Do a search for the oblivion tweakguide and apply the memory tweaks.

You mean something like this: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_9.html

Looks good, I will give it a try when returning from work later this day. Thanks for pointing me there!

My preliminary solution was to deactivate some PIs I did not really need on the long run which helped to solve the problem for now.

EDIT May 29, 2011: I used the entrys into the registry as suggested on the page in the link above. Works like a charm, I got far less crahes by now. 

I've got a couple of bugs that I'm hoping someone has an easy fix for, and I don't want to start another new thread about it, so:

Any rape which occurs in cells with guards (and sometimes just with high responsibility NPCs), all NPCs will immediately attack the rapist.  This seems to be tied to Lovers with PK directly, as disabling all other lovers mods except that and RaperS/Joburg/CrowningIsle still causes it, and I haven't found a mod that will stop it.  This is particularly bad in crowningisle, since basically everything is considered rape by the game and the guards go crazy and kill tons of people if you proposition someone in a public place.  Curiously, if the "rapist" is a guard, the reaction changes to all nearby guards charging the player, watching him/her get raped, and then proceeding to the murder...

Many of the Creatures animations play with the creature oriented backwards.  It's mostly the animal creatures: dogs, horses, etc... and it generally only happens on the animations that are added by the mods that add on to Creatures, like the extra animations that Donkey's made or the ones from cursed armor, but still, it makes Creatures and LoversBitch really hard to mess with when the dog/horse/deer is trying to have sex with the back of your neck.

There's also this weird glitch that makes NPCs jump around randomly during sex: they continue to play the animation flawlessly, but they will suddenly move about a foot to one side for half a second then flicker back.  When it does happen, it seems to occur regularly at about 3-5 second intervals, but it's most pronounced in the kennels in LoversBitch (when I occasionally test to see if some new fix has worked), and the dogs will flicker from side to side so fast they start to blur out...  I think I saw a thing somewhere on these forums about this being related to clipping or collision getting weird in small spaces, but hopefully there's some way it can be fixed.  Something I've tried with limited success is opening the console and using tcl to kill collision on everything nearby, but it usually does nothing or at best makes the flickering less frequent.

Anyway, thanks for any help/advice.

I think loverstopcombat(ex).esp is the plugin that helps keeping the guards from killing rapists, do you have that installed? I know some other mods can cause conflicts with the guards as well. It seems to be hit or miss cause I've seen that some have been using Rens Guards for example but that made all guards glitchy for me.

You mean something like this: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_9.html

Looks good' date=' I will give it a try when returning from work later this day. [u']Thanks for pointing me there! [/u]

Indeed that's exactly it.  There was a mod on TESnexus ages ago that would force cells to be emptied after a shorter period of time(more disk thrashing though), but it really helps some people.  I know there's one for FO3/FO:NV, but if it's missing I can probably kick up a new one sometime this weekend.  Long as I don't get too sidetracked building my sisters new PC.

Has anybody else faced the Terror of the Fuckgeist?

When I enter a cell where creature rape is taking place, there's sometimes a naked Imperial thrusting into the air as he floats around. He's labeled something like "LoversTestObject" or similar. I have no idea what's installed that's causing this.

Also, in regards to the invisible/'WTF missing textures?'/blacked out body texture problem, it is possible that the meshes are incorrectly referring to the textures. If invalidation doesn't work, you need to load up the meshes with nifscope and change the texture path accordingly. Some of the modders may have accidentally put their own path file and caused this issue. Some mods I know that has this issue are the Dawn Wraith armor and as well as the Black Lotus armor.

Boobs stretching to infinity can also be due to animation mods having their own skeleton and are incompatible. To remedy this, copy the BBB enabled skeleton to that animation mod. So example could be MAO's animation mod which uses a different skeleton.

I think loverstopcombat(ex).esp is the plugin that helps keeping the guards from killing rapists' date=' do you have that installed? I know some other mods can cause conflicts with the guards as well. It seems to be hit or miss cause I've seen that some have been using Rens Guards for example but that made all guards glitchy for me.

[/quote']

I've tried using that, but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything.  I've heard that using it with escaperapevplayer (sp?) might cause problems, but even if I turn that off and just use stopcombat it still happens...

I have this problem with the loversbackup2 mod that came in the lovers mod minor pack, please someone help.  whenever I start a game everything but it seems to be working fine so far and I cant really continue because it keeps saying that the file cannot be found therefore not function, and keeps stopping the game to tell me that every time!  help anyone?  and I know I put the file in the spot properly twice.

Well i have another one, but i still dont have the answer.

Several sounds are missing, the drinking effect, doors opening, etc ... The original voices are also missing, but not everything, i still hear the "goodmorning" and stuff like this when u are close to an npc, i hear footsteps too. With the mod i hear some sounds of xlovers, estrus too, but none with cursedarmor.

I tried to disable all the mods, just running with oblivion.esm, but it is still the same thing. I made a new install some weeks ago too, and i deleted the folder mygames/oblivion.

I'm french but i am using the english version of oblivion.

Archived