Updating graphics card

First time really asking a question on a problem.

I have recently started getting black screens display driver recovered from this error the last time it happened I had the side off and felt the underside of the graphics card and it was pretty fricken hot to the touch so I think it's starting to take a shit. There is nothing wrong with the drivers those were updated and are up to date. Right now I have the computer in safe mode the underside of the graphics card is barely warm so that to me that is a indication that it's on it's way out.

The graphics card is a Geforce GTX 470 I was thinking of getting a new one but then thought why not just get one of the newer/newest updated version to replace it instead. 

I have looked at the GeForce GTX 660 Ti and the GeForce GTX 670 I think they are newer versions but not sure.

So my question is what should I get to replace the Geforce GTX 470 with?  The GeForce GTX 660 Ti or the GeForce GTX 670 or something else in the gerforce series that you can upgrade from the Geforce GTX 470 to? I just want to make sure to get something that will work and isn't something that will not work.

Thank you for your time.

Myuhinny

GTX 770 with 4GB of VRAM.

4GB of VRAM is for HD textures. Plus many(most?) games on PC are console ports and 'new' consoles are a bit better then old ones.

But if you are willing to spend extra, I'd go with 780 with 6GB if VRAM.

Depends on your budget and card info. A 660 TI might be better than a 670 just depends on the information. I personally recently upgraded to a GTX 660 Ti OC 2gig card. I have no problems running Skyrim with all the graphic mods I want. At this point my monitor is my choke point for getting better display.

Well I can afford something good but I'm not going to get the GTX Titan that nvidia links to when you click to go to a store that sells GTX cards. That thing is 3k+. Think I might get the *MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card - 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), Overclocked - GTX 780TI GAMING*

Cool can't wait to get it and check it out tired of not having sound and only being able to do somethings and everything being huge since I have to load the computer up in safe mode to be able to do anything at least Gerra6's converter runs in safe mod so I can keep converting armors/outfits.

What motherboard and processor you have? Remember this card can be overkill and your mother board or processor be bottlenecking this card if its all gen1.

It's not a real problem it all will work fine but you won't ever get the full potential of the card and thats a shame when paying so much for card.

There are cards alot cheaper doing the job just fine can run almost all games on ultra released these days for 200-300 dollars cheaper.

Just a suggestion.

But card is good it's just way over priced.

Good luck.

@EvasiaDutch

I went with the MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card - 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), Overclocked - GTX 780TI GAMING that I posted a link to a few posts back it cost 698.03 and will be here tomorrow. I would never buy a graphics card that costs more then my computer did I only posted the geforce GTX titan Z in reply to Mygoodness777 post that says the 780 Ti is really expensive. To me 600 to 700 or so isn't expensive it's when things get into the 1k+ that I consider it expensive.