Downloading Fallout 3 GOTY now, anything I should know?

What I mean is, I'm used to working with Skyrim and it's mods. Are there mods for Fallout 3 that are almost universally required like how FNIS, SKSE, or SkyUI, are for Skyrim, but for Fallout?

Also, any good recommendations for mods, Ive got Fook 2 open beta, Fooks Iron Sights, NMCs Texture Pack, and Fallout 3 Redesigned going at the moment while the game is downloading.

Are there mods for better character creation like Skyrims Enhanced Character Edit?

Sigh, I just noticed I accidentally hit 2 instead of 3 in the title, I hate ergonomic keyboards

F3 goty not 2.

Theres not that many mods for F3 - it may look pretty much same as New Vegas but its scripting language was more limited so most modders focused on FNV becouse it gave them lot more options to use.

There are ofc weapon and armor replacement mods, some quest mods etc but all mods that require more sophisticated scripting were always made for FNV not F3.

Thats why some amazing guys decided to create TTW - Tale of the Two Wastelands. A mod that allows you to play F3 story in FNV. It is required by some mods.

OFC TTW require you to have both F3 and FNV.

I enjoyed FO3 more myself but way better mods around for NV now so TTW is worth looking into if you have both or they are on special. The money will bring way more enjoyment than a 6 cups of Coffee or Packet of Cigarettes or Burger, Fries & Coke ever will.

Guest carywinton

Actually there are quite allot of mods for just FO3, don't let anyone tell you different, long before FNV was even on the story board FO3 was coming along nicely and had mods that still trump both FNV and Skyrim, they are just more difficult to find, so some folks say they don't exist. Our fine developers of the Far East made some of the best mods I have ever seen for FO3. Just about all of them require FOSE (Fallout Out Script Extender). If development on FOSE had continued you would have found a much larger base of developers and supporters. Its not really a question of there being a huge difference in the two games or engine variants, it's just the limitations of the scripting. As Halstrom mentioned, the story and overall feel of the game is better than FNV, just due to FNV's lack of choices. I don't feel FNV was written as well either. You will find redundant and reciprocating dialog in both, to be sure. As to the TTW aspect, I cannot say, obviously it is being pushed here more due to it's ability to support the "Pet" project of "LL", Sexout. Which I am sure is a fine work and has many variables which can be explored, but for me the effort involved and it's clash with mods I currently use stopped me from exploring either one, Sexout or TTW. They both take a heap of requirements on top of requirements and are quite involved to setup and get working. I only recommend this path to a very advanced modder and gamer. Yes I feel you need Modding and developing experience to some degree for those two setups to be successful. At the very least a very thorough knowledge of both FO3 and FNV file types, directory structures and what is taking place in both.

I enjoyed FO3 more myself but way better mods around for NV now so TTW is worth looking into if you have both or they are on special. The money will bring way more enjoyment than a 6 cups of Coffee or Packet of Cigarettes or Burger, Fries & Coke ever will.

It isn't totally exact :

- Terran Starship Command is the best DLC sized mod you can find on FO3 (and nearly impossible to translate for TTW)

- The Institute is a great story mod

- Advanced Thermal Nightvision FO3 is better than it's FNV counterpart (more options)

- Ghost Armor HGEC FO3 version is fully scripted and better than it's FNV couterpart (and adds a quest too)

I may find more examples, but with only TSC ...

It isn't totally exact :

- Terran Starship Command is the best DLC sized mod you can find on FO3 (and nearly impossible to translate for TTW)

- Advanced Thermal Nightvision FO3 is better than it's FNV counterpart (more options)

- Ghost Armor HGEC FO3 version is fully scripted and better than it's FNV couterpart (and adds a quest too)

I may find more examples, but with only TSC ...

Fair point, but most mods can be translated reasonably easily with way more stuff under the hood due to NVSE & NX_Extender. There are just as many complex mods of equal quality for NV that will never be available for FO3 either :)

It isn't totally exact :

I may find more examples ...

Is there FWE for TTW? if there's not, I guess that still makes a HUGE difference...

The mothership zeta crew mod can be played for TTW. I've had it working for months.

After you download it and then download the converted version, open it up in fnvedit. If you check it for errors you'll see a few body part data errors. You need to match these with the original alien from the zeta esm's body parts.

There is also a mesh error that can/will cause crashes. However this doesn't affect the quests/scripts of the mod at all so simply use NVAC and you're game will carry on going even when the mesh problem would normally cause a crash.

After that the mod works flawlessly. I even started modding the tscvegas version to create a more believable 'bridge' between the two game (FO3 - FNV)

All you need is some basic FNVedit knowledge and a bit of patience and most of the FO3 mods can be made to work with TTW.

The makers of FWE made Project NEVADA. It's essentially a more advanced version of the same thing, just without Alternate Start. And it works just fine with TTW.

The basis Project nevada don't work well with TTW but a translation exists.

The mothership zeta crew mod can be played for TTW. I've had it working for months.

After you download it and then download the converted version, open it up in fnvedit. If you check it for errors you'll see a few body part data errors. You need to match these with the original alien from the zeta esm's body parts.

There is also a mesh error that can/will cause crashes. However this doesn't affect the quests/scripts of the mod at all so simply use NVAC and you're game will carry on going even when the mesh problem would normally cause a crash.

After that the mod works flawlessly. I even started modding the tscvegas version to create a more believable 'bridge' between the two game (FO3 - FNV)

All you need is some basic FNVedit knowledge and a bit of patience and most of the FO3 mods can be made to work with TTW.

Are you sure of that ? http://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/mothership-zeta-crew-discussion

Everyone who has tried to convert this od (FO3 version) has failed.

Absolutely positive, I've played that mod and loads of it's addons from start to finish more than once in my TTW build. I spend a lot of time on those forums and have talked about this there a lot too.

If you look around on there and read what is making people crash you'll see that it's almost always in the same spot in the mod, because of a broken mesh. (Seems to be a broken placeable water mesh)

Now I haven't 'fixed' that mesh, I just don't get a crash due to it. (thanks to NVAC)

Also because it's not a script crash or broken quest stages etc, it doesn't have ANY adverse effects on your game once you stop the CTD.

Download the original zeta crew mod then use the converted esm from the nexus.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50886/

Make the small fixes to the alien body part data I mentioned earlier and make sure you're using NVAC.

Works perfectly from start to finish.

Beyond what you already have, I'd say Marts Mutant Mod is pretty much manditory, as is DC Interiors (which is way more comprehensive than it's NV counterpart). Both of which really add a large degree of variation and exploration oppertunities to the wasteland. Busworld is like DC Interiors, but for busses and trains, and is really useful as shelter from nuclear storms if you have Project Reality installed. And speaking of Project reality, if you have that installed you'll want to grab Fallout Street Lights to help dress up the darker nights - and maybe a nightvision goggle mod.

Also in the "Required" category would be EVE for more spectacular energy weapon visuals (It really makes a huge difference) and Conelrad Radio, which adds a ton of great nuclear era songs and civil defense alerts. It really fits in well with FO3's atmosphere (much moreso than NV) and gives a much needed break to Three Dog's little carosel of songs.

Better Rivet City Church doesn't really add much, but it adds a few small touches that makes it feel like an actual Catholic Church, and it's one of my required mods at least.

If you're into decorating your home (especially if you have DC interiors and have all the crazy collectables it brings to the table) you'll want Feng Shui which allows you to scale items, precicely rotate and position them, then lock them in place so they don't go apeshit and fly across the room the next time you enter your home.

You'll probably also want to stick with Imaginator/Dynavision/Cinematech and Directors Chair for graphics enhancements. I've tried just about every ENB for FO3, and a number of NV ENBs in FO3 and they almost universally look like shit in that game. The exceptions being AspenGlow for NV and Blackout for NV, both of which needs some tweaking before they look alright in FO3.

As for character overhauls, the only one I've really taken notice of were Nuska's, which are amazing work, but the nature of the extensive overhaul prohibits the use of hair packs and other beautification mods. I could deal with that for Oblivion because of how horrid the vanilla faces were... but I think the returns aren't worth the price in FO3/NV.

Hey guys, I've been a TES addict,but decided to give both FO3/FONV a try.I've had a look at TTW,amazing that you can play both at the same time(like Morroblivion i play mostly)!

some questions if I may:

Which body/face/cloth replacers should I choose,FO3 or FONV?

Do all custom races work for TTW?

Which version of Sexout should I install?

Is there any popular mod that conflicts hard with TTW so I'll have to avoid it?

I could always try play them seperatelly,but limited time and HD space makes me choose TTW.

Custom races aren't supported in TTW. (you can get them to work but you'll not get any support in regards to them via the TTW team. Generally it just requires you to use GECK/FNVedit to add a child and old aged stage for your custom race. (For vault 101, tranquility lane and the after-end game scene introduced in Broken steel.)

With regards to mods that WILL screw up your game when you try and use them with TTW.

The mod team say NVEC isn't compatible, however I've used it along with a comprehensive patch that can be found on the site. Finding it (after a bit of adjusting with fnvedit) to work really well.

The only mod I can think of that will 100% ruin your life if you try and use it is readius. (the handheld pipboy replacer. The handheld pip2500 will also ruin your day, the 2500 that is mentioned on the TTW site refers to the direct replacer, arm mounted version)

Archived