90s memories

IowaHawks12

for those old enough to remember the awesome decade of the 90s, what do you remember most about it ? what do you miss most about it ? For me, it was the TV, the Music, the Movies, it was a great time to be a kid because our kids shows were great, and entertaining. Tell me what you remember & miss most about the decade. 90s kids Unite !! :D

In no particular order:

My time in the military. My time in Uni and organizing huge cross faculty parties. The year or two I was drunk, almost literally. High school. The birth of Internet for common man. Mobilephones appearing. First love and the one who got away.

Too much to mention.

Nostalgia too strong. Grunge bands, action movies. Birth of internet. Rise of video games. Rise of anime into western culture. Rise of geek culture. The first love I had to... let go.

I will include the fall of the Berlin Wall. I lived in West Germany for a time and was baffled how the 2 sides shared the same national identity could be separated by a slab of concrete.

The music and the awesome music equipment (Black midi HIFI systems with twin cassette players and a record player on top with a digital display, a 6 CD Changer and a bass boost button (those were the days) TV was better for everyone in the 90s, now its only for attention seeking little girls or pansy boys who want to be famous one day, smiling for the camera showing there stupid white teeth alot and playing with there mop haircuts,

people weren't so egotistical and women weren't such feminist butt-heads, 

The high street shops were better overall there were record shops, cheap VHS stores, cheap food because it was past its sell by date (now banned in my country thanks to "health and safety laws") you could smoke in pubs with your mates while having a cheap pint, a pack of 20 BnH was cheaper (moved on to Ecigs because its cheaper and i can smoke in pubs again, soon to be banned...yay :/ )

Also i miss Real Friends Real People (not facebook fake friends, fuck that site id rather be alone)

Sorry to come across arrogant but i miss the 90s like a heartbeat, From 2003 onwards it feels like some sort of nightmare i cant wake from

for those old enough to remember the awesome decade of the 90s, what do you remember most about it ? what do you miss most about it ? For me, it was the TV, the Music, the Movies, it was a great time to be a kid because our kids shows were great, and entertaining. Tell me what you remember & miss most about the decade. 90s kids Unite !! :D

No games? The 90's had some of the best games back then, both on consoles and on PC. But strangely enough, while the quality on kids shows dropped badly here in Sweden, the Danish spent more time with quality kids shows (not that they're doing that anymore).

You people kill me. lol

I guess there's no point in starting a 'Where were you when you heard JFK was assassinated?' thread?

That's even before MY time and I'm probably older than most on here. :lol: I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, and was partying so much I hardly remember the 90s at all. :P

Guest corespore

I remember giving up my time living in the wild and decided to re-join the human race. I did for the food and access to clean water more than anything.

I remember buying my first PC with money i earned working odd jobs and bought a copy of ElderScrolls Arena....on floppy.

And leaving home, i moved out at 14, best decision ever!

I ended up trading my shotgun and tomahawk for a PC and a public education. Still not sure if it was a good trade or not.  

Guest corespore

My secondary school's life and a lots of friends I hang out back there doing many stupid things. Also music and X-Files!

(whispers) x-files...........(deep breath)......

.....How could I have forgotten about X-files.

I miss this one blonde chick who presented the kids show in my country. It was a thing in 90s France to have people presenting everything, and that blonde girl was like, the almighty goddess of animated stuff, she's the one who introduced Dragon Ball in France and put it in her show. 

She went with me all the way on that road from the innocent state of "why the hell do I want her to keep talking when I'm here for the cartoons ?!" to that dreadful and twisted period that polite people call "discovering one's own body" (masturbation, I'm talking about masturbation, I masturbated in front of the TV, I did).
Ah, Dorothy ... 

There's also the jelly little men that stick on walls then slowly crawl down, blowing in a Nintendo game before putting it in the console, Pokemon card battles (no one fucking knew how to play this shit, we just threw them on the ground with our pinkies and if it touched another card scattered there we claimed it for our own), dad coming home every week with a new Walkman since my sisters kept breaking those we had, hip hop and rap songs with a meaning even though the adults kept saying that it was only angry noises... 

Also the most important thing that I've just realized : THE PEOPLE ON THE STREETS ! I was just a kid during most of the 90s but I remember clearly that the streets were crawling with people after 5 pm, people would rarely go straight home to their computers and shit, and all those people were chilling and actually talking in the buses and watching the street performers do their shit ... I can't believe I've never noticed the fact that the streets are becoming more and more empty. 

OH! Remember when MTV actually had music videos! And Liquid television! Eon flux?......yes please

True enough, when it actually had substance. I used to hit it every morning, get my fix of Daria, or let Pearl Jam blast in my ears.

(Not fucking today as MTV has become a k-pop shill.)

Hmmm... Computers -- still in beige, flick-switch Baby-AT or full-tower casings -- back then cost about, what, twice or thrice for what you pay for today's souped-up gaming PC (and almost by the end of the decade, even more when it was a built rig from Falcon)... and 3.5" hard drives had as much capacity as your current USB thumbdrive.

Guest corespore

OH! Remember when MTV actually had music videos! And Liquid television! Eon flux?......yes please

True enough, when it actually had substance. I used to hit it every morning, get my fix of Daria, or let Pearl Jam blast in my ears.

(Not fucking today as MTV has become a k-pop shill.)

Hmmm... Computers -- still in beige, flick-switch Baby-AT or full-tower casings -- back then cost about, what, twice or thrice for what you pay for today's souped-up gaming PC (and almost by the end of the decade, even more when it was a built rig from Falcon)... and 3.5" hard drives had as much capacity as your current USB thumbdrive.

Ah, the beige case  :lol: I remember dropping nearly 2 large on a beige cased Intel Pentium that ended up having the infamous "FDIV bug". I got a replacement for free from Intel but by then the chip was already out-dated.  

The 90's, ahh, there are far to many things that i could mention and reminisce about, i'd be here typing for houers if i even tried. Well, let's just try to keep this a little more general and short why not..

To me, the 90's were a time of rebellion against the superficiality and materialism that was the calling card of the 80's. Gone was the yuppie culture, the neon coloured look, and the strive for that Miami-Vice flair and pomp. Grunge was the new shit, it and alt-rock was what got played on the Radio, the fashion trends were informal and relaxed (hell you could almost say you were rewarded for putting as little effort or care in as you could), and people cared more about what kind of person you were, than what tag adorned your expensive designer jeans or how much money you had on your bank account.

For my country, it was also a time of healing, Denmark had been hit hard by the Oil-crisis of 1979, so for us the 80's were a time of shared poverty, skyrocketing unemployment and recession, all whilst people were trying to keep up with the expensive styles of that time. The 80's fucking sucked here, there's no two ways about that, it's known to us as "the potatoe diet" and the "Pauper Eighties", and i grew up dirt poor in the 80's as a result. The 90's was the time when my country started to recover from this and life suddenly got a lot better, it was a time of prosperity and peace for us, much needed ontop of the dark times we had just been through (and then came the 00's and a whole new recession right after... ugh, but that's a different story).

A recovering economy, awesome music, a relaxed atmosphere and a focus on people rather than what brand they wear, the golden age of videogames, by and large, this is what the 90's were to me, and they were awesome! There was crap too of course, like "X-TREEEEEEMEE!!! MARKETING!" and nonsense like that, but what decade didn't come with a side-order of crap? 

I miss the 90's, i really do, what i woulden't give to have Kurt and Chris back on the Radio instead of Gaga and Bulldog :lol:

Archived