Skyrim is chrashtastic!

Dro

So for some months now, I've been trying to do a full playthrouth with Skyrim with mods. But It hasn't worked. And I now truly believe this game is not meant to be played with mods.

For what? 7 months now I restart Skyrim every few days, because Skyrim just constantly crashes, just keeps crashing. I've tried and done everything in existence that is suppose to stop crashes. Nothing works. Cleaning files, using bashed patches, following stability guides. Nothing. Nothing changes anything.

Skyrim is one big fucking Crashfest.

Since the only place I haven't asked for help is here, I'm wondering if anyone can offer something that might just end this. I only have around 35-40 mods installed with 89 plugins.

Or I might just have to play Skyrim without mods, or not play it all.

If you could post your load order, and possibly your papyrus logs. They would be very helpful in tracking down the problem.

More explanation of when the crashes occur would be nice also.

To enable Papyrus logging open your Skirim.ini, and change these lines 

[PAPYRUS]

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

They should read exactly as above

… You noticed it now? No wonder there are people who still believe that Skyrim is a great game, let alone for it being good. 

Personally Skyrim without mods is pointless, unless you play on consoles. The world is so boring you'd wonder where in the 3 years of development did Bethesda actually spend their time in the game.

Since the person above me has already suggested what should have been said, I'll add on to it:

If you're not using SKSE use it. You have absolutely no reason to not use it. It even comes with a feature that fixes certain error logs that can potentially cause a save bloat. Don't be one of those sad guys on the modding forums that avoid using SkyUI, SKSE and express their disgust. Really, fuck those guys.

Not sure if SKSE has been lifted from its on-going so called "alpha" build of version 1.7. Anyways if you don't want alphas or betas or even deltas, go get Memory Block Log. Butt seriously, fuck those guys. Just leave them alone in a cave, then burn the whole cave before they begin feeling comfortable. You want something else that doesn't use MCM? *points middle finger* Sorry but that's not a suggestion, that's an excuse and frankly just plain whining.

And of course the Unofficial patches etc. Unless you're one of those, "specially sensitive" guys, you will eventually find one of those essential mods like these unofficial patches. Don't get SMPC though, still really skeptic about a lot of the mod. Something extra that's more of a burden then being useful. Just so unnecessary.

Well it generally should be fine, not sure why it would take you 7 full months to be still finding this issue, but unless you have a poop computer, Skyrim should run okay.

Also don't follow out-dated performance/stability guides. Theres a heck load of difference from version 1.0 to the latest Skyrim, thou its not really different at the same time. Yep, Bethesda can't patch properly. Another tip if you haven't realized.

… You noticed it now? No wonder there are people who still believe that Skyrim is a great game, let alone for it being good. 

Personally Skyrim without mods is pointless, unless you play on consoles. The world is so boring you'd wonder where in the 3 years of development did Bethesda actually spend their time in the game.

Since the person above me has already suggested what should have been said, I'll add on to it:

If you're not using SKSE use it. You have absolutely no reason to not use it. It even comes with a feature that fixes certain error logs that can potentially cause a save bloat. Don't be one of those sad guys on the modding forums that avoid using SkyUI, SKSE and express their disgust. Really, fuck those guys.

Not sure if SKSE has been lifted from its on-going so called "alpha" build of version 1.7. Anyways if you don't want alphas or betas or even deltas, go get Memory Block Log. Butt seriously, fuck those guys. Just leave them alone in a cave, then burn the whole cave before they begin feeling comfortable. You want something else that doesn't use MCM? *points middle finger* Sorry but that's not a suggestion, that's an excuse and frankly just plain whining.

And of course the Unofficial patches etc. Unless you're one of those, "specially sensitive" guys, you will eventually find one of those essential mods like these unofficial patches. Don't get SMPC though, still really skeptic about a lot of the mod. Something extra that's more of a burden then being useful. Just so unnecessary.

Well it generally should be fine, not sure why it would take you 7 full months to be still finding this issue, but unless you have a poop computer, Skyrim should run okay.

Also don't follow out-dated performance/stability guides. Theres a heck load of difference from version 1.0 to the latest Skyrim, thou its not really different at the same time. Yep, Bethesda can't patch properly. Another tip if you haven't realized.

Bro, chill.

First, I actually do like Skyrim and the landscape/world is one of the things I like the most about it and it's story. So I'm not one of those Skyrim Haters, Skyrim has some cool things and concepts and I like them. I use mods because I played vanilla already and wanted to add some new flavors to it.

Second, I use SKSE since it first appeared and just recently switched to the alpha build because sexlab said I needed the latest version.

Third, all the information I use is recent and not to long ago covered by Gopher.

Forth, my PC is not made of "poop", it's decent enough. I'd say mid range. I spent all these months because sometimes it would work correctly for long periods of time, and I'm an immerssion/roleplaying fan, therefore my playthrouhs last months.

After this, take a nice cold drink and relax. I'm going to perform what wildtangent asked.

Cool, I wasn't really talking to you when I said all those in the first place. I kinda had the feeling you weren't the kind of guy that met what I was criticising. Except only those first two sentences. 

Also, try following the suggestion of what the guy above me was saying about logs and load orders.

I was actually drinking iced lemon tea while typing that up. Funny how I wasn't angry in the first place.

Cool, I wasn't really talking to you when I said all those in the first place. I kinda had the feeling you weren't the kind of guy that met what I was criticising. Except only those first two sentences. 

Also, try following the suggestion of what the guy above me was saying about logs and load orders.

I was actually drinking iced lemon tea while typing that up. Funny how I wasn't angry in the first place.

You're quite something.

If you could post your load order, and possibly your papyrus logs. They would be very helpful in tracking down the problem.

More explanation of when the crashes occur would be nice also.

To enable Papyrus logging open your Skirim.ini, and change these lines 

[PAPYRUS]

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

They should read exactly as above

Here is my log and I'm no expert, but I think I know what caused all these problems.

It seems little NMM hasn't been deleting my mods properly, but then again, I downloaded Skyrim all over again when I made the current setup. But it mentions files from mods I no longer have. :\

My crashes mostly happen either when I die, and the game is reloading the save. Or, when I'm entering a new cell.

When you reinstall you have to go to documents/my games/Skryim and delete that whole Skyrim folder. If you don't then old crap gets into the new install.

NMM is a junk program and it doesn't always remove your old mods. And even when it does it doesn't always replace what it removed or overwrote while first installing those mods. It leaves your Skyrim folder a mess in most cases. You can avoid this by making the switch to Mod Organizer. It won't mess up your installation since it doesn't put anything into the Skyrim folder to begin with. And it does a lot of other cool and useful shit.

Right here in the Skyrim Technical Support subforum is a thread called "[GUIDE] Want a fast....Skyrim?" (or something like that :D). Read it and follow the steps outlined in it. This will reduce your crashes to almost nil. And make the game smoother/faster as well. It just takes some TLC to prepare the game before modding it and playing it. If you do these things and use MO then your Skyrim folder stays awesomely clean and TLCed.

So for some months now, I've been trying to do a full playthrouth with Skyrim with mods. But It hasn't worked. And I now truly believe this game is not meant to be played with mods.

For what? 7 months now I restart Skyrim every few days, because Skyrim just constantly crashes, just keeps crashing. I've tried and done everything in existence that is suppose to stop crashes. Nothing works. Cleaning files, using bashed patches, following stability guides. Nothing. Nothing changes anything.

Since the only place I haven't asked for help is here, I'm wondering if anyone can offer something that might just end this. I only have around 35-40 mods installed with 89 plugins.

I say quit and go play some console game seriously. If after 7 months you claim skyrim only crash it's YOU DOING SOMETHING wrong not the game.

We know that skyrim is buggy and it's not best game released code.

But with selective and carefullly install the right mods in right order SKYRIM DON'T CRASH ALL THE TIME.

I play sometimes for 10 hours straight without a single CRASH so it's you who is doing something wrong.

Give up your doing it for 7 months lol you spare yourself some anger and frustration it will make you more happy i guarenteed you ;)

BTW i got 1750 hours into Skyrim so i know what im talking about.

Good luck PC gaming and modding is not for you i gues.

I say quit and go play some console game seriously. If after 7 months you claim skyrim only crash it's YOU DOING SOMETHING wrong not the game.

We know that skyrim is buggy and it's not best game released code.

But with selective and carefullly install the right mods in right order SKYRIM DON'T CRASH ALL THE TIME.

I play sometimes for 10 hours straight without a single CRASH so it's you who is doing something wrong.

Give up your doing it for 7 months lol you spare yourself some anger and frustration it will make you more happy i guarenteed you ;)

BTW i got 1750 hours into Skyrim so i know what im talking about.

Good luck PC gaming and modding is not for you i gues.

How rude of you. It seems I even have more playtime then you since I'm going on 2104 hours of playtime. And I most likely have been playing games on PC far longer then you have, like what the hell?! Don't know how to mod? I helped a great deal in the construction of Conversion mods for the Total War Titles. And I've created plenty of mods for myself in Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm a bloody 3D modeller and animator myself for fuck sake!

What the bloody Hell is wrong with you people around here making judgements without having a damn clue about what their talking about.

I've found the source of my issue. It has been Nexus own doing, not mine. Nexus failed to remove my mods completely and left traces of them.

Are you running an old save? If so then try running this on one of your saves.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

If you uninstall mods that have scripts running. Those scripts will be stuck in your save, and cause a lot of problems. So try that if you already havn't, and see how it goes.

No, no old saves at all. I just created this save about 2 days ago or something. And before I installed Skyrim I deleted my old folder. But for some reason, NMM installed things that I no longer even have on my hard drive. I think the big cause of all these issues is behind NMM, I'm almost certain of it.

I'm going to check that link out anyway, but I'm going to change to MO and perform another pure clean install of Skyrim. I'm now pretty certain of what has been messing my game up.

EDIT: I've had already read everything on that link. :)

How rude of you. It seems I even have more playtime then you since I'm going on 2104 hours of playtime. And I most likely have been playing games on PC far longer then you have, like what the hell?! Don't know how to mod? I helped a great deal in the construction of Conversion mods for the Total War Titles. And I've created plenty of mods for myself in Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm a bloody 3D modeller and animator myself for fuck sake!

What the bloody Hell is wrong with you people around here making judgements without having a damn clue about what their talking about.

I've found the source of my issue. It has been Nexus own doing, not mine. Nexus failed to remove my mods completely and left traces of them.

It seems you had a stroke of bad luck with your thread here. There are a few retards running around on LL, but they're the minority. Most of the folks here are friendly and helpful but like every community, LL has a bunch of bad apples lying around.

Also, don't use NMM. It's a piece of crap and only good for activating and disabling .esp and .esm files but not for installing stuff. For that you should either use ye good olde manual install (that's what I am doing) or Mod Organizer. There are quite a few around here who use mod organizer and there's even a thread for it: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/20492-mod-organizer/

But no matter what you do, don't use NMM, please.

It seems you had a stroke of bad luck with your thread here. There are a few retards running around on LL, but they're the minority. Most of the folks here are friendly and helpful but like every community, LL has a bunch of bad apples lying around.

Also, don't use NMM. It's a piece of crap and only good for activating and disabling .esp and .esm files but not for installing stuff. For that you should either use ye good olde manual install (that's what I am doing) or Mod Organizer. There are quite a few around here who use mod organizer and there's even a thread for it: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/20492-mod-organizer/

But no matter what you do, don't use NMM, please.

I know. I've created topics here in the past and I always received kind and helpful responses, so this was the first time I got this shit treatment.

And yes I learned the hard way not to use NMM, I already removed it. Right now my Skyrim is still downloading, when it's done and I've setup everything correctly, I'll run my papyrus log again and check if there are still those issues in it. Although  I'm pretty sure this time everything will go fine.

Skyrim, particularly modded,  crashes. Even on a super duper gaming rig Skyrim crashes.  People who say they haven't crashed at all in however many hundreds of hours of play, well colour me skeptical, I'm not saying they're utter bullshitters, just that they probably have selective memories. This game's engine can sometimes croak at the slightest provocation, other times it won't crash no matter how hard it's working.

You can minimise the causes for sure, throw a load of resources at it, run a very tight ship and still the game will sometimes get out of bed on the wrong side and say

"Nope, fuck off".  If you're getting a lot of fuck offs in one session, that's when it's not the engine being it's usual cranky bitch self and you need to get all CSI. 

edit: my first ever game of Skyrim crashed within the first 5 minutes of Helgen, always the same place, when Hadvar shouts "stay close to the wall!" *BOOM*. And it did it over and over again until I found a solution online. And that was with a freshly minted, pristine install. So there you go. 

Archived