What is your favorite The Elder Scrolls series game ?

Favorite TES series game ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite The Elder Scrolls series game of all time ?

• Arena
    • Daggerfall
    • Morrowind
    • Oblivion
    • Skyrim
    • Other ?????? (please let us know)

The most interesting poll of all the LL forums ! Yeah !  ;)

So, everything is in the title, the question and the answers.

You have multiple choice enabled, because we all know TES games are great and you can have 2 'favorite game of all time'.

Please, tell us why you've made this choice ! This is the most important thing here !

Morrowind; sorry Skyrim fans, but I gotta go with the one game that really started the modern western RPG.

Morrowind had a level of realism that Skyrim simply can't hold a candle to. Puzzle solutions posted on the wall behind the puzzle? No, go drown yourself. Really, that was a puzzle solution, you actually had to DIE (almost) to get past one puzzle.  

Quests actually made you wait, yeah that's right, you had to wait, as in, find something else to do before continuing the current quest line. Why? Because reading three books and communing with the moons and the ancestors takes time dang it. No, the quest giver couldn't do that in the time between you handing them the items and clicking on the next dialogue option.

Oh yeah, dialogue! That was something characters had before they were voice acted. And a 250 character limit for the text. Wow! Early slightly longer Twitter.

Oh, and skill wise? I'll take Mysticism for the Mark/Recall spells, Spear just because I feel like doing something different, Unarmored because that's funny, rectal bleeding to see if you're still reading, speechcraft so I can taunt people into fighting me with NO hassle from the guards, alchemy because it is massively OP, & alteration for levitation. Oh and I'll spend money training my Athletics skill so I'm not so slow. Wait, none of that exists any more? Well nuts.

And did I mention that mods are still being made 12 years after the game came out?  

Beast races looking like, well, beasts? Though I do admit that the backwards knees thing is a bit strange. 

People taking notice of your gender? And race? And who your friends are? And who hates your guts? I won't deny that "Why aren't you at your post?" does get really annoying after the third time you hear it (which will be between the time you get your first quest and when you leave that building). Not quite "I use to be an adventurer like you..." annoying, but close.  

Wow, fanboy rant much?

I like Skyrim, it has some good things in it. Actually seeing my assassin cut someone's throat or my warrior shove his sword through a Stormcloak's gut is really cool. And dragons are cool (with mods). What isn't cool are the sections of unavoidable dialogue that you have to sit through every freaking time you start the main quest. That's the kind of shit I expect from Bioware, not Bethsoft. Even Oblivion had some great things, the Dark Brotherhood, better sneaking, useful poisons, I'm sure I'll think of something else.

Really though, neither one can hold up to the standard of Morrowind.  

Morrowind-even if there was only one land,morrowind was realy detailed made,game was hard,whole word for explore,qust was nice and guild quest take while nad was fun,you can even build fortess here,spell maker was realy awesome,game was rewarding for exploring-most good item you need find it,sometime item was put on realy bad availible place.

daggerfall-was my first ES game,even if i never fiished it,word was realy gigantic and many guild,character make was unique,you got time limit for quest and there was in game holyday o.o

Morrowind: Interesting story, great and unique landscapes. When I first launched Morrowind it felt like an alien world , it just screamed "explore me".

Oblivion wasn't that great but I think Champion of the Cyrodill was badass. 

Skyrim becouse it works as a nice dress up game with dolls.

- I was dissapointed with this becouse you fought with wyverns, not dragons.

- also was made easier for casual audience

Ok let's put this a littlebit in perspective.

First time i played Elder Scroll was around '98 with daggerfall but it was not only bugged for me my PC was not realy perfect eather and i had alot of trouble those days win 98.

So my actual first real experience was in 2002 with morrowind on PC offcorse. I had a decent PC and was for me when i first enter Morrowind MINDBOGGELING-JAWDROPPING and my EYES POPPED OUT OF MY SKULL :D

I can't almost not discribe how awesome it was running in this world and amazed by the graphics at the time.

I was HOOKED for months stopped playing my favorite MMO at the time to play Morrowind.

This is something you most of time never get back anymore this feeling, so maybe not fair to next installments of series.

I hated Oblivion with a PASSION and started like the series a little more again with skyrim.

But the feeling and how HOOKED i was with this game never had it EVER anymore.

Elder Scroll III: Morrowind plus expansion's was for me my best game of ALL TIME.

Skyrim with mods is awesome but it still not come close to my experience back in 2002-03 with Morrowind.

Definitely Morrowind. I, too, was hooked on it the moment I'd installed it. It had depth, atmosphere, and substance for its time. But it was also my first attempt at modding with the editor, and I'd built a mage tower atop a rocky crag overlooking the sea as a home base within a month's time. It was also less buggy that any Elder Scrolls after it, and had no CTDs, freezing, or any lag that I can remember.

I also liked the fact that you could build your own home, and could wait for it to be built over the course of your adventuring, instead of just buying one outright.

And, this game is one of the few I still have the original discs to. So tempted to reinstall it, now......but I think playing with Win7 will be the biggest hurdle.

C'MON SKYWIND!!! If I'd had any modding talent at all (and time, a hassle-free job, etc...) I'd be adding my time and energy to this project for it's quick completion.

I made two votes. Morrowind and Skyrim. Morrowind was the first TES-Game I played, so it will always have a spot in my heart, though also this view might be heavily coated with nostalgia. I already voted Morrowind for being one of my favorite PC-Games of all time but ..

But if you force me to choose only ONE TES now, well, I guess I would take Skyrim, because I consider it to be better in some regards. Story (and the way it is told, though still Bethesda should learn a bit more how to do it...), dungeons (way superior), atmosphere (I liked Morrowind's Dunmer-Culture and all, but even then I just loved the Bloodmoon-Addon and Solstheim and the Nords, Skyrim gives me all this)...

So yeah, without the nostalgia-factor, and also to earn me some hatred, I'd rather put Skyrim on top...

Definitely Morrowind. I, too, was hooked on it the moment I'd installed it. It had depth, atmosphere, and substance for its time. But it was also my first attempt at modding with the editor, and I'd built a mage tower atop a rocky crag overlooking the sea as a home base within a month's time. It was also less buggy that any Elder Scrolls after it, and had no CTDs, freezing, or any lag that I can remember.

I also liked the fact that you could build your own home, and could wait for it to be built over the course of your adventuring, instead of just buying one outright.

And, this game is one of the few I still have the original discs to. So tempted to reinstall it, now......but I think playing with Win7 will be the biggest hurdle.

C'MON SKYWIND!!! If I'd had any modding talent at all (and time, a hassle-free job, etc...) I'd be adding my time and energy to this project for it's quick completion.

That's how I got into modding in the first place, that and thanks to Galgat

I made two votes. Morrowind and Skyrim. Morrowind was the first TES-Game I played, so it will always have a spot in my heart, though also this view might be heavily coated with nostalgia. I already voted Morrowind for being one of my favorite PC-Games of all time but ..

But if you force me to choose only ONE TES now, well, I guess I would take Skyrim, because I consider it to be better in some regards. Story (and the way it is told, though still Bethesda should learn a bit more how to do it...), dungeons (way superior), atmosphere (I liked Morrowind's Dunmer-Culture and all, but even then I just loved the Bloodmoon-Addon and Solstheim and the Nords, Skyrim gives me all this)...

So yeah, without the nostalgia-factor, and also to earn me some hatred, I'd rather put Skyrim on top...

Oh there are some really nice things that Beth has done with Skyrim that I really like. Not having to run back through three levels of a cleared dungeon praying that the feather potion will last the trip. I don't miss that from Oblivion at all. I'm actually replaying Oblivion at the moment and I was surprised about how much of the story I'd forgotten. The land (in Skyrim) just looks better than Oblivion, I'm not talking LOD or textures, it just looks more like a real country. Sure MW had some real issues, some things feel like they didn't get quite finished, and the player moving so darn slow to make up for the fact that the game world was smaller than Arena and Daggerfall. But some times I feel like I'm moving through Skyrim way faster than I should be. I mean, Riverwood is said to be between 3-5 miles from Whiterun' but it's what, a five minute run on foot? Damn, I wish I could run that fast. Maybe I'd get off my flabby ass and do some running then.  My real issue with both Oblivion and Skyrim is the way the game is paced. It almost feels, especially with Skyrim, like I'm being pushed and the game wants me in, out and done as fast as possible while still drawing out the mid-game in an attempt to prolong things.

Oblivion has a special place in my heart and always will.

It's one of those games that bring me good memories and a pleasant feeling overall when I remember the days I played it.

At the time I've even been able to play it vanilla more than once, much more than once... flaws and whatnot.

Last year I felt quite often the urge to play it again, lack of time and my Fallout-comes-first sentiment have delayed it,

as soon as I can I want to go for an extensive trip in my beloved Cyrodiil again. :heart:

Morrowind, of course.

I don't want to repeat myself as to why, so I'm just gonna re-paste from another Topic:

Some say Gothic 2, but to me beating that game was like a path to repentance, a path full of cheap deaths and beginners traps rendered in a trial-and-error fashion. Which is why when it comes to exploration, Morrowind outperforms any competition in my personal league. I remember the shock: so I can go, like, anywhere? But going anywhere wouldn't actually mean bat shit aside from freedom of movement, if not for the world: strange, mysterious and full of secrets. You could never know what lies in a dungeon: some trashy iron dagger, or a super rare Daedric artifact? Especially memorable and imagination inspiring were shipwrecks (why the fuck there are no shipwrecks in TES games anymore!?). I remember it was a beautiful summer back then - birds, sunshine and shit - but I couldn't stop hiking through that dark and cold tombs, looking for forgotten treasures. Too bad that never again would Bethesda deliver such a good game, ruining all the fun with retarded level scaling in the latter installments of the series.

Morrowind by a mile.

OK, so out of the box:-

The meshes are dreadful and need replacement. (Easy done).

Especially the Bodies and Heads.

The textures are awful and need replacement. (Easy done).

Numerous bugs, but many of those have now been finally fixed by non-Beth developers who can code.

Quite why Beth chose to use dreadful monolithic kf files when other options for 4.0.0.2 WERE available, I can only put down to technical incompetence. Never-the-less, there are improvements available.

BUT:-

The Main Quest is unmatched in any other ES game, Guildquests are excellent and there are so many guilds you don't have to join them all. The Sidequests are good too on the whole.

Instead of fast travel we have a plethora of 'real' modes of transport to use,

I could wax on, but in so many ways, it's the best Roleplaying game they ever did.

Well, since i've only played Oblivion and Skyrim, i'm afraid i have to say Skyrim :(

While they did attempt quest design and storywriting in Oblivion, as well as some deeper mechanics, what matters to me most is how it plays*, and as a whole Skyrim just works better.

*Recent exception to that: Alan Wake. The gameplay was fucking annoying shit (that even caused one Alt-F4, Shift-Delete rage quit :lol:), but i suffered trough it for the storyline. And am glad i did ^_^

I vote for Daggerfall. But it was close call to Morrowind.

Sure it was bugged. Sure Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were better graphic-wise. But Daggerfall was my first game of the TES series and I loved it as hell. The storyline was awesome. Tragedy and treachery. Hunger for power by all factions. Struggle for recognition. Vengeance! Oh, I'll never forget Daggerfall city by night... The music was nice too. Especially when it was snowing or the store music. Generally, I haven't found yet another game that had such feeling as Daggerfall. Maybe it's because it was the first I've played. Maybe because I was at my innocent/romantic years (16 yo). Who knows...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, random side rant first.  The site REALLY pisses me off at times.  Hit a key accidentally and end up on a completely different page in the middle of a long post, cut and pasting links never works for me, and the link button locks up my browser. >_<

/End of rant

As for the games...  Morrowind got my vote, with Skyrim coming in a VERY VERY close second for me.  All the games had at least something going for them though.

ARENA: I loved it's absolutely HUGE game world even more than I hated the goblins constantly yelling "mule lick".  For the time,  there was nothing like it in terms of the size of game world.  The randomly generated dungeons were kinda nice also.  It kept you guessing and was a nice way to handle the limits of computers and HDDs at the time.

DAGGERFALL: More dialog and a more detailed game world.  Being able to explore High Rock and the northern-most part of Hammerfell was fun.  I imagine some people found it a pain, but I really loved the in-depth faction system in this game too.  It did a great job of reflecting that even the city-states of High Rock were constantly scheming against each other.  Having to find the right witches coven on the right day to summon a daedric lord was also fun and realistic.

MORROWIND: What's not to love, other than the now dated graphics?  For the time though, they were epic.  The unique and creative landscapes and creatures made this the most fun for me though.

OBLIVION: Well, it'd probably be my least favorite of the series but was still a good game.  Nice graphics, etc...  It just lacked the innovation that the previous games had.  I also didn't like the leveling system working against non-combat skills.  Characters trying to focus on sneaking and persuading were at a REAL disadvantage in combat vs monsters that leveled with ever increasing combat abilities.

SKYRIM: Awesome most of the way around.  A wider variety of voice actors, better graphics, mostly good story lines, etc...  The few gripes I have against the game are things like the majority of the civil war that got left on the cutting room floor.  That quest series in particular ended up feeling incomplete and poorly thought out because of that.  Also the fact that (like Oblivion) they made the game world so blasted small.  Skyrim was supposed to be the biggest country in the Empire, and they made it the size of a small county or a large city.  Something's wrong when I can walk from the east border to the west in 2 game days.  This was forgivable with Morrowind and to a lesser extent Oblivion when computers were more limited.  I expected more this time around though.

BATTLESPIRE:  It was hard to get past this one being more of an arcade game in terms of play style.  Starting out at level 1 and expecting players to fight past hordes of daedra was silly also.  If there had been more healing potions and MUCH less bugs, it could have been a great game though.  It was the only game that had BUILT IN the option to be nude instead of wearing the ugly underwear they come up with.  Gotta love that. :D

REDGUARD:  A lot to love in this one.  Again a different play style than traditional TES games.  Great storyline though.  My main gripe with this one was the difficult combat system.  Cyrus was a fencer, which left you at a disadvantage against distance fighters.  Even with melee combat, you had to be able to block, and the game did a VERY poor job of letting you know when.

It's tough choice. At first, I were completely blown away by Morrowind. But sadly, I had a really shitty PC at the time, and game kept crashing constantly. So I never got deeply involved with it. Also, sadly I never returned to it. Also, I were starting to get more and more, into RPG's as well, so when I had a new PC, Oblivion were the next game for me. I liked the game alot at first, but the more I played, the more stuff I stumbled acrossed that made me dislike the game, to some extent.

Skyrim were my next target, and I did not like the game at all first. Took me maybe a year, before I felt I could play it without raging. Thanks to the mods that is.

Honestly, I can't decide between Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion had a few things right, that Skyrim does not. And vice versa. It does lean towards Oblivion, just because it had a greater impact on me than Skyrim. But it's very close call.

OK, random side rant first.  The site REALLY pisses me off at times.  Hit a key accidentally and end up on a completely different page in the middle of a long post, cut and pasting links never works for me, and the link button locks up my browser. >_<

/End of rant

As for the games...  Morrowind got my vote, with Skyrim coming in a VERY VERY close second for me.  All the games had at least something going for them though.

ARENA: I loved it's absolutely HUGE game world even more than I hated the goblins constantly yelling "mule lick".  For the time,  there was nothing like it in terms of the size of game world.  The randomly generated dungeons were kinda nice also.  It kept you guessing and was a nice way to handle the limits of computers and HDDs at the time.

DAGGERFALL: More dialog and a more detailed game world.  Being able to explore High Rock and the northern-most part of Hammerfell was fun.  I imagine some people found it a pain, but I really loved the in-depth faction system in this game too.  It did a great job of reflecting that even the city-states of High Rock were constantly scheming against each other.  Having to find the right witches coven on the right day to summon a daedric lord was also fun and realistic.

MORROWIND: What's not to love, other than the now dated graphics?  For the time though, they were epic.  The unique and creative landscapes and creatures made this the most fun for me though.

BATTLESPIRE:  It was hard to get past this one being more of an arcade game in terms of play style.  Starting out at level 1 and expecting players to fight past hordes of daedra was silly also.  If there had been more healing potions and MUCH less bugs, it could have been a great game though.  It was the only game that had BUILT IN the option to be nude instead of wearing the ugly underwear they come up with.  Gotta love that. :D

You can do a nude run on Daggerfall, it isn't easy, but it is possible, same with Morrowind but that requires mods.  Is there a way to fix the blasted annoying control setup on Arena? I just can't go back to using the arrow keys. I've been a WASD nerd for way too long.

It's tough choice. At first, I were completely blown away by Morrowind. But sadly, I had a really shitty PC at the time, and game kept crashing constantly. So I never got deeply involved with it. Also, sadly I never returned to it. Also, I were starting to get more and more, into RPG's as well, so when I had a new PC, Oblivion were the next game for me. I liked the game alot at first, but the more I played, the more stuff I stumbled acrossed that made me dislike the game, to some extent.

Skyrim were my next target, and I did not like the game at all first. Took me maybe a year, before I felt I could play it without raging. Thanks to the mods that is.

Honestly, I can't decide between Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion had a few things right, that Skyrim does not. And vice versa. It does lean towards Oblivion, just because it had a greater impact on me than Skyrim. But it's very close call.

Since you now have a better computer, try going back to Morrowind. With mods it becomes a really fun game.

yeah I know that Morrowind and Oblivion have nude mods. :)   Battlespire, all you had to do was go in and select nude in the options and IIRC enable a simple parental control or say you were over 18, lol.  Daggerfall I don't recall the nude option at all.

As for your question on Arena, I honestly don't recall.  It's been years since I played it.  From what I do recall, the control setup options were REALLY limited though.  Hopefully somebody else will have a better answer for us.