In no particular order;

X-Wing Alliance. Most awesome experience I ever had in the Star Wars universe. Yeah, I loved KotOR and Jedi Outast etc, but to play a part in the storyline of the original trilogy was just amazingly fun. Still remember my first encounter with Vaders Super Star Destroyer.... damn that thing was huge.

Mass Effect. Back in 2007 when the series began it just took my breath away. The setting, characters and universe... wow. I can only try to cling to that memory, instead of the bitterness I still hold from ME3.

Neverwinter Nights 2 : Mask of the Betrayer. Just like the OP said. The story was just mesmerizing, captivating, compelling. Well... just great fun. With it Obsidian also fixed their "Rocks fall, everyone dies" ending to NwN2. In a manner I personally found far more satisfying than what BioWare provided for their last effort.

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim. Loved Morrowind, got sick and tired of Oblivion. Didn't even pre-order Skyrim, just got it on a whim, and I've barely left the continent since.

Fallout 3. For fans of the first two, I can understand their disappointment. It's not really very similar. I loved it. Finally a real post-apocalyptic world. Desolate, crumbling, filled with craters, ruined skyscrapers, and those barely scraping by.

Yeah, when the SSD first appears in XWA it is actually awesome.  It fills the screen and still takes you 5 minutes to get within firing range.

So many games such a little window:

Warzone 2100 - To me the story and customization was fantastic.

Lords of Magic - Old school RTS turn base with up to 8 people. Loved the music for it as well.

Mass Effect Series - Um yeah...not going to go deep into this one but whoever played it I probably liked it for the same reasons.

Command and Conquer Series - ALL of them. That's right all 17 games or one franchise.

Starcraft Series - My favorite RTS series with a amazing storyline to boot. Also Kerrgan either infested or not is just smexy. Also Kate Lockwell. :P

I kinda cheated here but meh...

• 3 weeks later...

Planescape: Torment - without that game, I'd never had touched Baldur's Gate. Best story I've ever seen in an RPG and proving my philosophy that a well-written game can be highly entertaining and suspenseful without having to be afraid to die.

TES: Morrowind  A true first person RPG, relying much more on character skill than the following games did, and the main quest storyline was far superior to the subsequent main quests as well

Deus Ex: Inspired for its time, allowing the player to make their own judgments, devise their own solutions and play in a variety of ways that were practically unheard-of.

Bioshock: Showed how mature and story-driven FPS can be. Unfortunately, the sequels didn't convince me at all.

Civilization series: What shall I say? The fact this franchise has been with us this long speaks volumes. There'll always be aspects of one incarnation that one likes more and others that one likes less, but in the end, all manage to get you to say "Just one... more... turn..."

Honorable mention: The Witcher. Just an honourable mention because while of course CD Project made a great game, part of what makes the game great is the world, which is of course not original.

Dragon Age : origins ( honestly this game speaks for itself ^_^ )

Baldur's Gate 2 (to this day Mazzy is still one of my favorite all time npc/companions)

Mass Effect - series (yes even 3 which is a good game it just had a very non heroic ending for a truly heroic main character and it was disappointing ) 

X-com EU/EW ( I happen to like turn based strategy ) 

Vampire the Masquerade - bloodlines (I know a lot of old school VTM players hate this game and like its predecessor better, but I liked this game , all the backstabbing , deal making , and betrayls are what VTM is about, the story was just a little railroaded , doesn't mean I still don;t love the game.)

Well its not that easy :D

I dont have a specific "1 to 5" order....

So I just say which games/ game series are my favourite.

Mass Effect Series

The Elder Scrolls Series (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim)

Diablo 2

Guild Wars

Warcraft 3 (well actually I dont know which game I should take as fifth... have so many.

And uhm on Xbox.

Halo Series {Halo 1/2/3/4, Halo ODST and Halo Reach (Halo 1 and 2 also for PC)}

These kinds of lists are dumb here's games I really enjoy

Paradox grand strategy games, I like most of them, and I simply like to solve them and understand them and building empires while I listen to a podcast or some album.

F-Zero, greatest racing game of all time, no game can beat the feeling of speed, GX is the best but X still overshadows any competition.

Can't think of any strategy games better than Sins of Solar empire, 4x elements, long battles against the AI. Rise of Nations is the best from the old guard easy to understand mechanics games were neither too fast or too long.