Interest check - reworked 'vanilla' hairstyles from scratch

I've considered for a while now to completly remake the vanilla hairstyles. I'm not talking about a mere retexture like many have done before me, but reworking the styles down to their very braids into the layered/realistic look that the more popular hairstyles currently have. Why not another retexture you ask? Because you cannot polish a turd. The stock hair models are low detailed and solid, they could really do with a redesign. What I wonder is how many people would be interested in such a mod. It'd certainly not be a months work, but rather a typical it's done when it's done project with a release date of soontm. As a bonus though, I'd make all styles more or less compatible with all races, because why wouldn't I when I'm reworking it anyway. So, yay or nay?

No, that's a retexture.

To the OP, this was started on nexus and I followed it with great interest, but the project (like most things I track) died. I think the problem was that even tho' the meshes were new high(er) poly versions and intended as replacers you still had to do the facegen data for each game (user) individually so the Vanilla NPCs would use them.

I would be interested in a good Vanilla (read immersive) high poly hair replacer. So: yay.

ill love that, belive i got like 300+hairs, but can use just like 60-70 because if covers breasts area will occur hdt distortions, if you can do the retextures im really glad, some are very unique and cute, but the textures are horrible.

No, that's a retexture.

To the OP, this was started on nexus and I followed it with great interest, but the project (like most things I track) died. I think the problem was that even tho' the meshes were new high(er) poly versions and intended as replacers you still had to do the facegen data for each game (user) individually so the Vanilla NPCs would use them.

I would be interested in a good Vanilla (read immersive) high poly hair replacer. So: yay.

I don't think the facegen data includes hair as long as the hair is made to the shape of the original heads.

SMIM for vanilla hairs? YES, PLEASE.

More or less, but as authentic as can be, basically 1:1. I tend to be heavily disappointed when someone makes a HD retexture or Mesh Improvement and then decides to release their artistic creativity onto it by creating a whole new look. I never appreciated how SMIM, or more prominently how aMidian add a bunch of completely random celtic knots in places where it looks awful, not unlike a rebelious teenager picking the worst tramp-stamp in the book, because more knots and curves are trendy. :lol: My motto is that when you promise to polish something, you just don't go and add new things for lolz.

So expect no extra braids, flowers, ornate hairclips people. Just an upgrade.

If they can actually be better than the originals great. Personally I like the original hair though I find I rarely use it except on one main character. Otherwise I use animated hairs or usually a short variant so it's believable with helmets.

+1! The vanilla hairstyles are a waste of space because they look just horrible, and most of Apachii's hairstyles fit on a fashion magazine cover but not into Skyrim. I'd like some hair that looks simple and natural AND beautiful.

That alone is one of my motivations.

What of the braids that are already in some vanilla hairs? Weren't there some?

Anyway, improvements are always welcome, specially for people who don't use things like apachii as replacers for the WHOLE game.

Those'd stay, I should have said extra braids.

Now if you added a little HDT to some of them too, then you would be talkin'.

That's not planned. Many NPC's with HDT acting simultaneously may not do performance a lot of favours. On top of that I cannot guarantee the quality of the final product if it depends on HDT. Solid hairstyles is a matter of get what you see while with HDT it may look different than would be intended because of how it move around. Making separate strands of hair move while keeping the shape of the original haircuts would probably just create awkward clipping. Perhaps on the braids themselves, but I doubt it. However! That won't keep me from open sourcing the mod contents so that others can. :)

i guess also with HDT you cant use high quality textures (yea can, but for not long time i guess) because of constant "impact" and "constrains" will be stressfull for skyrim engine that. Someone can say i use at my body 4k with hdt, but not all bodies or a massive quantity of npcs will use same textures, and besides that its just a "block" (breasts/butt sometimes a belly) not hell meshes in constant movement (hdt)like hair.

I alwalys thought its that why never saw any HDT hair with high quality textures, i can be wrong at that, but till now what i seen i guess its that.

@Emberheart i know you are just working at textures, but that can help if wanna a good quality textures also:

Its a tutorial by Christopher Albeluhn , and i founded really good, at least that help me alot, its how making high quality textures using low quality meshes (gives a "false" impression its a high quality poly meshes).

@Emberheart i know you are just working at textures, but that can help if wanna a good quality textures also:

Its a tutorial by Christopher Albeluhn , and i founded really good, at least that help me alot, its how making high quality textures using low quality meshes (gives a "false" impression its a high quality poly meshes).

What? :) I'm not just working textures, I'm recreating new meshes. And I've textured for a long time, the current meshes cannot be improved beyond what they have been with textures alone. The very way it's built, lack of layered planes mostly, has its limitations. It's a good tutorial for beginning texturers though. It seems to focus a lot on baking normals also, less useful for hairstyles unless MudBoxing the details on it, except for maybe the braids.