Failure to start up/CTD - STEP Help needed

I haven't played Skyrim since late 2011 due to computer problems. I recently purchased a new computer so I've started anew. I installed Skyrim and started it up, everything went better than I have ever seen it be. I've grown tired of the same old vanilla look, story and opening sequence so I decided I'd start modding immediately instead of my original plan from back in November of 2011 of beating Skyrim without any alterations before adding them.

I have the basics of modding down and I usually can get everything running smoothly, for the most part, based on that knowledge but I've never used any major overhaul things such as G.E.M.S. or S.T.E.P. This time around, I figured I'd get the essential modding done as quickly as possible by using such overhauls. I've foolishly downloaded and installed many mods without testing here and there to see if Skyrim would work and now I've gotten stuck.

I know I'm missing a needed mod for STEP Core Patch to work, specifically whatever ADS.esp is associated with. I have absolutely no idea as to what mod ADS.esp comes from, so I can't find it's mod file on the nexus or wherever it may be. I'm assuming and hoping that has a major part in my issues.

I'm also fairly clueless as to what to do with load orders. I have BOSS, which is simple to use, but I'm assuming it doesn't get everything right on it's own.

Anyway, the issues I'm having are; I have no idea what mod ADS.esp comes from and every time I start up Skyrim it shows the Bethesda logo, briefly (less than a second) flashes the Skyrim logo on the left side (as if it were about to show the main menu) and then it immediately crashes to desktop.

So yeah, I can't play Skyrim and these issues are driving me further down the road of madness. Please help so I can get past this.

Here's my current load order (bold and italicized are shown as such in Mod Organizer, if that matters) :

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawngaurd.esm
Dragonborn.esm
HearthFires.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
JSwords.esm
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
iHUD.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
STEP Core Patch.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
Dual Sheath Redus.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.eso
Guard Dialog Overhaul.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
imp_guard_helm.esp
imp_helm.esp
imp_helm_dawn.esp
imp_helm_imp.esp
imp_help_dbrn.esp
Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp
Weapons & Armors Fixes_Remade.esp
BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.esp
DD_Dawnguard Additions.esp
DD_Dragonborn Additions.esp
Disease Descriptions_RND Compatibile.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
RND_AnimalLoot.esp
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp
RND_DrinkingFountains-Patch.esp
RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp
RND_PureWaters-Patch.esp
RND_USKP-Patch.esp
NoxUE2.00.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills Dawnguard.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills Dragonborn.esp
SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
WATER DG.esp
WATER Plants.esp
WATER.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
Footprints.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
Moss Rocks_DB.esp
Beards.esp
Birds.esp
Brows.esp
Children of Skyrim - NORD PRESETS 1-10.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
SOS - Carloss32 Canine Addon.esp
SOS - Carloss32 Lizard Addon.esp
SOS - no underwear for beast races.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
aMidianBorn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
BFSEffects.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts - Two Fire.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
ImmersiveFP.esp
Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Texture1.esp
360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp
Extended Slider Colors.esp
XCES.esp
Character_Generation.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
Hell Sword.esp
FreckleMania.esp
HDT Havok Object.esp
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp
Purewaters.esp
AOS.esp
AOS2_DGDB_USKP Patch.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
DiversePriests.esp
DiversePriests_BringOutYourDeadPatch.esp
DiversePriests_ConsistentOlderPeoplePatch.esp

Elemental Staves.esp

I'll post another load order list after I get this working and I've downloaded the rest of the mods I need/really want if it stops working again.

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawngaurd.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

Try changing to this.

You are correct about BOSS it will only move what it has on it's list the rest go where ever. TES5Edit by ElminsterAU http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/? Download it unzip it and run the .exe that is insode it will start to load everything up that you have installed in your skyrim if it hits a error in the load order it will stop and tell you why in the bottom right hand area read it fix it shut TES5Edit and keep starting it till it is able to load everything up without hitting any errors then try your game again.

Also try to watch how many high script using mods you add to your game get too many in one game and you are just looking for trouble. SOS is a high script using mod.

Nothing's helping.

But I noticed that Mod Organizer practically creates an entirely separate Skyrim and Wrye Bash where everything installed with Mod Organizer shows up.

So I'm going to try and start over from the beginning and ignore the STEP Core Patch.esp and everything related to Mod Organizer, instead using NMM to install mods and not open Wrye Bash through Mod Manager. Which will take a number of hours.

I'll update when I'm done with all that.

Mod Organizer keeps everything in it's own virtual directory and not inside Skyrim/data/, which is part of why it's so good actually. ;)

You probably don't even have a registry entry if you've only tried launching it through MO. It needs to be launched once with the plain ol' vanilla launcher, then after that ALWAYS launch it with the SKSE launcher inside of Mod Organizer or your mods won't be read if it isn't started with MO. That may be a large part of your problem actually.

Here's a video to watch and it should help.

Any other problems with MO and you should ask those questions in the Mod Organizer thread in the Skyrim Non Adult section. Your problems will get answered quickly and most questions you could have are already answered in that thread.

I've already started over. I've been using the STEP website as more of a refresher's course on ini files and a guide for when to install what mod while skipping over any mention of Mod Organizer and STEP Core Patch. And so far it's been working out for me. But thank you for the help, I'll definitely keep all that in mind should I fuck up again or whatever other reason I may need to start over.

I think part of the reason all of this has happened was STEP assuming I already knew how to use Mod Organizer and assuming I already had all the mods required for STEP Core Patch to even work already downloaded, which, of course, I didn't/don't.

If it happens again, you can use tes5edit through mod organizer. You might have already read about it in S.T.E.P. about cleaning mods and dirty edits. Activating all mods in Tes5edit and running it will let you know if BOSS missed something. The mod that creates the problem will stop the process of loading in Tes5edit and you will be able to see what the problem is. If tes5edit loads normally, it means mods are not the issue

I got everything working without the use of Mod Organizer and STEP. Skyrim runs fine other than the occasional CTD when rendering something, which is an on and off problem that doesn't really require solving.

I've barely got room for any more mods too, I'm at like 252 or something. I'm probably going to save the last 2 ESP/ESM spots for when I get around to making custom races.

Thank you all for the help though, I'm sure all this info will help someone in the future.

Archived