Equipping NPCs with created weapons

Hey, folks, I've been reworking my first Skyrim mod almost from the time I released it this morning, and I'm trying to equip enemy NPCs with copies of vanilla weapons that I enchanted with a custom enchantment. I also reworked the values of the poison to work with other mods.

Two problems with the rework effort: the custom enchanted weapons aren't showing up, and the poison that I created in the first mod is missing from the enemies' inventories.

To rework the mod, I started a completely separate file from the original (I don't know if this is relevant).

I have no clue what went wrong since I am just learning this stuff.

I tried to search for the poison in the console, and nothing came up.

I placed the custom enchanted weapons in the enemies' inventories, because I don't know how to make them equip weapons.

HELP!

P.S. I searched for tutorials on this, but I've come up empty-handed.

Guest xthejester

You need to make your custom items a master file. (.esm), then load them up in the ck with the other .esm files like Skyrim, Update, Dawnguard, etc.

No, you don't need to put them in an esm. If the don't even show up when searching via the console then the mod is not active for whatever reason as they should show up there no matter what. If you are adding items directly to the inventory of npc's any mod that is loaded after it that changes that npc will overwrite it. You are better off adding the items to the leveled lists, you can add items to bandits and such much faster that way. If you have any other mods that add items to leveled lists use wrye bash's bashed patch, just make sure to add the 'relev' tag to your mod in wrye bash or you have to add it to the patch manually. 

Guest xthejester

So if I wanted to make an NPC be the only person in Skyrim wearing a set of custom armor...I wouldn't need to make that custom armor mod into an ESM?  Because I know you do if you want to use custom hair and the like.

Guest xthejester

No, you don't need it in an esm. The main reason to use an esm is when other mods use items from it. You can put all your custom items in the mod with your npc.

Are you modifying an existing npc or creating a new one?

I was planning on creating a new one.

You can do whatever you want, no esm required. For armor you need to make an outfit if you are going to use custom armor. To do that first make a leveled list and add the armor items to it. Second create an outfit and put that leveled list in it. Third, select the outfit on the inventory tab for the npc. To add weapons, just add them directly to the npc's inventory. Make sure the combat style for the npc (1 Handed, 2 handed etc) matches the weapon.

Guest xthejester

Yeah. I'm not advanced enough to make leveled lists yet. And how do you even load up the custom armors in the CK without the mod being made into an esm through wrye bash? I was lead to believe only esm files could load data into the ck.

Yeah. I'm not advanced enough to make leveled lists yet. And how do you even load up the custom armors in the CK without the mod being made into an esm through wrye bash? I was lead to believe only esm files could load data into the ck.

Are you wanting to use armors from another mod? If so you can use Wrye Bash to ESMify the mod you want to use the armors from and you can use it as a master in the CK and just ESPify it when you are done.

Leveled lists are easy to make, especially if you just want to give everything in it to someone. Place the items in the list and check the Use All box in the upper right corner and it will add all the items in the list to your npc. Weapons need to be added to their normal inventory though.

OK here's what I did: I saved the new mod as an .esp, as is appropriate. I just still get mixed up when talking about .esp vs. .esm. What I intend to do with the new mod is have copies of the vanilla weapons with custom enchantments (already done) placed in the inventories of the enemies (also already done), and they need to equip the appropriate weapon class (such as materials used to make each class) according to the level of the PC in any given encounter. I may also try to scale the custom poison I made in this same manner.

For a better understanding of my intentions check out my download as well as the support topic: http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/874-crippling-poisons/

No, you don't need it in an esm. The main reason to use an esm is when other mods use items from it. You can put all your custom items in the mod with your npc.

Actually I'm modifying enemy faction NPCs, as well as planning on creating at least two custom NPCs for a later mod, so, either way, I stand to learn a lot from this thread.

Actually I'm modifying enemy faction NPCs, as well as planning on creating at least two custom NPCs for a later mod, so, either way, I stand to learn a lot from this thread.

If you are modifying a large number of npc's your best bet is to modify the leveled lists they already use for their armor and weapons. Search the lists for bandit and it should bring them all up.

If you are modifying a large number of npc's your best bet is to modify the leveled lists they already use for their armor and weapons. Search the lists for bandit and it should bring them all up.

I undertook the tedious effort of doing that and equipping the inventories of individual bandits instead of looking them up in the leveled lists. Would this have anything to do with the fact that not all of the bandits received items in their inventories when I specifically assigned them those items?

Guest xthejester

Are you wanting to use armors from another mod? If so you can use Wrye Bash to ESMify the mod you want to use the armors from and you can use it as a master in the CK and just ESPify it when you are done.

Leveled lists are easy to make, especially if you just want to give everything in it to someone. Place the items in the list and check the Use All box in the upper right corner and it will add all the items in the list to your npc. Weapons need to be added to their normal inventory though.

Yes. As I have no skill (or even know-how) at all when it comes making custom meshes/textures, I was planning on using a custom armor from another mod. It's for a unique NPC "boss" 

The way I've been adivsed to do it is to take the armor mod esp, convert it to an esm in wrye bash, load it as a master in the ck, then make it an outfit for the npc.

Yes. As I have no skill (or even know-how) at all when it comes making custom meshes/textures, I was planning on using a custom armor from another mod. It's for a unique NPC "boss"

The way I've been adivsed to do it is to take the armor mod esp, convert it to an esm in wrye bash, load it as a master in the ck, then make it an outfit for the npc.

That seems reasonable.

If this is for a unique boss type armor, you really need two things.

1- Make sure you can reuse that armor in another mod. Some authors are picky about that and some are more accepting of reuse in other mods.

2- For a single armor, it is worth going at it the hard way.

Forget about making an esm with that armor.

Study how the armor is set up in the original mod and reproduce it with your own new armor.

You basically have to create an armor add-on for each body part covered by the original armor (cuirass, boots, gloves, etc).

Then create an armor for each body part using each armor add-on.

The way to look at it is that armor add-ons are objects pointing to the actual meshes of the body part.

Don't forget to package the original paths to the mesh and the textures of the armor into your own mod or bsa file.

This video can help: 

I undertook the tedious effort of doing that and equipping the inventories of individual bandits instead of looking them up in the leveled lists. Would this have anything to do with the fact that not all of the bandits received items in their inventories when I specifically assigned them those items?

If you are adding the armor into the inventory then they may not use it. The items in the Outfit list get preference unless the new armor is better then they may use it (no guarantee). The best way to think of the Outfit list and Inventory is two separate containers, one for armor and one for everything else. This is why you can't steal their armor or clothes until you have the appropriate skill / perk. Also, it the npc's have already been active then they probably won't have the new items until they reset.

Guest xthejester

1- Make sure you can reuse that armor in another mod. Some authors are picky about that and some are more accepting of reuse in other mods.

Study how the armor is set up in the original mod and reproduce it with your own new armor.

You basically have to create an armor add-on for each body part covered by the original armor (cuirass, boots, gloves, etc).

The way to look at it is that armor add-ons are objects pointing to the actual meshes of the body part.

Don't forget to package the original paths to the mesh and the textures of the armor into your own mod or bsa file.

This video can help: 

Yeah...I know those are English words. And I'm a native speaker of English.

But I have no clue what you mean.

I'm not releasing the mod for public consumption, so I don't think the original mod author will care either way.

I have no idea how to see how an armor is set up.

I have no idea how to create armor period...As I said, I have no experience, skill, or even know-how when it comes to making custom meshes or textures. So even figuring out how to see how the armor is set up, won't help me make my own armor.

I don't even know how to package anything into a bsa file. I've made precisely 1 mod, and it was a trio of basic followers. All I did was follow the steps listed on a wiki some where. When I tried to share it with a pal, I failed miserably. Because as I tried to send him the .esp I made, what he got did absolutely nothing.

Even making that mod took me forever because I had a fucking impossible time getting their heads to match the rest of their bodies.

I'm just now fiddling around with attempting to make a dungeon. The NPC I have in my mind, with the unique armor will be the boss of said dungeon. But this will be quite some time down the road.

As for watching the video, that was interesting...but it used armor meshes and textures from the vanilla game. How would I even be able to use a custom made armor this way?

If you are adding the armor into the inventory then they may not use it. The items in the Outfit list get preference unless the new armor is better then they may use it (no guarantee). The best way to think of the Outfit list and Inventory is two separate containers, one for armor and one for everything else. This is why you can't steal their armor or clothes until you have the appropriate skill / perk. Also, it the npc's have already been active then they probably won't have the new items until they reset.

I'm not adding armor to anything to my knowledge. I did add the weapons to the inventories of NPCs.

They are not equipping them. I don't think I'll delete the existing weapons that they have equipped, but maybe tweak the damage to be higher than the ones they already have equipped like when we give followers weapons that are superior to what they already have they switch to the better ones.

This video can help: 

Yeah...I know those are English words. And I'm a native speaker of English.

But I have no clue what you mean.

I'm not releasing the mod for public consumption, so I don't think the original mod author will care either way.

I have no idea how to see how an armor is set up.

I have no idea how to create armor period...As I said, I have no experience, skill, or even know-how when it comes to making custom meshes or textures. So even figuring out how to see how the armor is set up, won't help me make my own armor.

I don't even know how to package anything into a bsa file. I've made precisely 1 mod, and it was a trio of basic followers. All I did was follow the steps listed on a wiki some where. When I tried to share it with a pal, I failed miserably. Because as I tried to send him the .esp I made, what he got did absolutely nothing.

Even making that mod took me forever because I had a fucking impossible time getting their heads to match the rest of their bodies.

I'm just now fiddling around with attempting to make a dungeon. The NPC I have in my mind, with the unique armor will be the boss of said dungeon. But this will be quite some time down the road.

As for watching the video, that was interesting...but it used armor meshes and textures from the vanilla game. How would I even be able to use a custom made armor this way?

I understand the thing about failed mods; I had several since I switched to PC Skyrim. It wasn't until Sunday early morning that I began to understand the months of learning in order to produce my first working mod. I tried when I didn't even understand how mods work, and that was bad; my confidence took a hit because I skimmed some tutorials and jumped the pool (which was mostly empty).

Keep up the learning process, and you will produce works of brilliance.

Archived