3ds Max 2014 Armor Editing Help

Alright, first off I'd like to say that I'm very new to 3ds Max, but I'm trying to learn it slowly. Now, I tried deleting part of a mesh in Max, and then exporting it to a .nif using the Nif Exporter Plugin for 2013. It looked fine when I opened it in Outfit Studio and Nifskope, but this is what happens in game:

post-332589-0-72001000-1393041888_thumb.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Ok. Id like to say this, try using 2012 if you can. Its used by most, and Nightasty uses it for his tutorials, plus has alot of plugins. And for your "problem". 

I think you rigged it wrong, it looks like your were sliding it around in max. Don't do that. make sure to only move a few vertices at a time, not the entire item. 

Also, only edit it as a "Editable Poly", and after that, you have to turn it back to an "Editable Mesh", then set up a smooth modifier, then a Skin wrap, convert to as skin, then add BSDismember Property, and export as .nif. Then, you have to set up the BSLightingShader property, set BS UV Set Number from 1 to 4097 in NiTriShapeData, and update Tangent Space in NiTriShape>mesh. 

Ok. Id like to say this, try using 2012 if you can. Its used by most, and Nightasty uses it for his tutorials, plus has alot of plugins. And for your "problem". 

I think you rigged it wrong, it looks like your were sliding it around in max. Don't do that. make sure to only move a few vertices at a time, not the entire item. 

Also, only edit it as a "Editable Poly", and after that, you have to turn it back to an "Editable Mesh", then set up a smooth modifier, then a Skin wrap, convert to as skin, then add BSDismember Property, and export as .nif. Then, you have to set up the BSLightingShader property, set BS UV Set Number from 1 to 4097 in NiTriShapeData, and update Tangent Space in NiTriShape>mesh. 

That sounds way over my head.

That sounds way over my head.

it's not as a bad as it sounds, just keep practicing. It's just painfully boring.

I think the armor isn't importing correctly. Even with the 'Import Skeleton' option ticked I get no skeleton. The textures don't show up either. Is this because Max can't find the files correctly? I'm using Mod Organizer, I'm not really sure if that would be an issue.

you say you use max2014 but a plugin for 2013 do this plugin works for 2014 ?

also when you install the plugin you have to point it to the mesh/texture folders, but max will not show the texture's(collors) when the nif point to lets say

d:/skyrim/data/texture/armor/xxxx, the path in the nif shoud be texture/armor/xxxxxxxx

btw th right order to load the mesh is, import skelly(tick the box on), hide skelly, import mesh without skelly(tick the box off)

Okay, so I'm going to take a guess and say that I have to change some things in this part of the config file:

[Skyrim]
NiVersion=20.2.0.7
NiUserVersion=12
NiUserVersion2=83
; Installation Folder
InstallPath=[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim]=@"Installed Path"
RootPath=${InstallPath}Data
ExtractFolder=$(RootPath)
MeshRootPath=${ExtractFolder}
TextureRootPath=${ExtractFolder}
UseSkeleton=1
Ske${MeshRootPath}\Meshes\actors\character\character assets\ssets\skeleton.nif
RootPaths=${RootPath};${MeshRootPath};${TextureRootPath}
TextureRootPaths=${RootPath};${TextureRootPath}
TextureExtensions=.dds;
TextureSearchPaths=${RootPath}\Textures;${TextureRootPath}\Textures;${TextureRootPath}
SupportPrnStrings=1
Rotate90Degrees=NPC Head
SkeletonCheck=NPC*
DummyNodeMatches=* NonAccum;_;NPC COM
bhkScaleFactor=69.9912

What do I need to change, and what does it need to change to?

Followed Nightasy's tutorials to the letter, now I get an error while exporting that's just a bunch of boxes.  :-/ Maybe I need to switch to 2012. Another 2 days worth of downloading... All this trouble just to delete some panties.

Two days of downloading? What? It's a free download from Autodesk... :blink:

My college has terrible internet connection. I go from ~3 MB/s at home to 300-800 KB/s here. :( The Max 2012 download is averaging at 200 KB/s right now. Then you pair that with spotty connectivity...

Followed Nightasy's tutorials to the letter, now I get an error while exporting that's just a bunch of boxes.  :-/ Maybe I need to switch to 2012. Another 2 days worth of downloading... All this trouble just to delete some panties.

dnt think its going take forever, think that way : ok will take 2 days, but after that no more messed things and all goes work fine for past and futures armors.

Upload the nif and we can see if it make any differences rexporting on some other version.

I'm trying to delete the panties from the Bikini portion of the mesh.

attachicon.gifCuirass_1.nif

Imported then exported from max 2014 (nothing else), made a few edits to the nif in nifskope and it works fine in game.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98lqcsoet939jm6/Cuirass_1.nif

You will need to point the armour to its texture in the nif.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k9jhdm95k65hmsj/Nopan.nif

With out the pants.

Upload the nif and we can see if it make any differences rexporting on some other version.

I'm trying to delete the panties from the Bikini portion of the mesh.

attachicon.gifCuirass_1.nif

Imported then exported from max 2014 (nothing else), made a few edits to the nif in nifskope and it works fine in game.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98lqcsoet939jm6/Cuirass_1.nif

You will need to point the armour to its texture in the nif.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k9jhdm95k65hmsj/Nopan.nif

With out the pants.

The body for the no panties one you made is misaligned, but I did get one working now that I have 3ds Max 2012. Now I just need to set the texture paths and whatnot.

The body for the no panties one you made is misaligned, but I did get one working now that I have 3ds Max 2012. Now I just need to set the texture paths and whatnot.

No its not.

so398o8tvubyvc17g.jpg

i just downloaded it and put it in game.

Now that I think about it there is a good chance that I forgot to put in your file entirely.  :s

Anyways, I got it working on my own! Yay!

post-332589-0-62523700-1393470079_thumb.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, and there is a good chance I will be coming back to this thread with more problems.

Archived