IGNORED

New Fall Out 3 player

Anderill

So, I am a long time Skyrim player, and have my "niche" of about 100 mods that I use. I am about to buy and start playing FO3, and I am looking for suggestions for mods. I want them to be somewhat lore friendly, though, never playing a Fall Out game before, I don't know what that means.

I like slightly non-lore friendly, like Skyrim's LSAR, but not, say the Skyrim Light sabers.

So what are some must have mods? Adult mods included. :)

Hmm.... I suggest one playthrough without any mods at all, so that when you DO get mods, you can appreciate the differences.

If you must, I highly suggest

Mart's Mutant Mod                                          Adds new and more challenging things to fight!

Fellout                                                           Get rid of the ugly green tint on everything

Imp's More Complex Needs                             Adds survival immersion revolving around food, drink, and Nutrition needs (Calories, protein, fat, etc)

XCALIBUR or is it now called CALIBURX?           Adds in new ammunition types that many gun mods need to function properly

FEM Female Enhancement Mod                    Adds extreme variety to female bodies, like real life. Not everyone on the planet is built the same.

Guest endgameaddiction

Apocalypse Armory v2.0 - replaces the vanilla guns and adds more guns. Best weapon pack for FO3. You can find it on here.

ENB - If you choose to use ENB. I'm not sure how complatible Fellout may be with ENB as I stopped using that mod long ago. Still a good mod.

BOE (Book of Earache) - Which, has CALIBR, CALIBRx and XCALIBR. it's a really good weapon/quest mod.

AWOP (A World of Pain) - Lore friendly mod that adds some locations (interiors).

FWE (Fallout Wanders Edtion) Makes survivling and combat more immserse. I don't use it, but it's one of the popular mods.

before you consider installing these mods. You'll want...

FOSE - Fallout Script Extender

Archive Invalidation Invalidated

FOMM - Fallout Mod Manager (has Archive Invalidation Inlavidated built in it for easy installing with just a click)

or NMM if you prefer NMM.

Just be aware that 99% of the mods off FO3 Nexus are not NMM support. I never liked NMM, but if it works like FOMM, you can install most FOMOD package mods by archive. If not then I suggest sticking with FOMM for Fallout 3. Just remember to turn off updates to avoid the error pop up when installing a FOMOD.

I'm sure you are very familiar with SKSE. So you know what it does and you know that most mods rely on this to be able to run. Well FOSE is the same thing. It's not a must have but most of the popular mods use it so I recommend it anyways. Archive Invalidation Invalidated corrects textures so you can either install it with the program or enable it through FOMM.

There's also BOSS to help correct your load order. I never used it as I always prefer to manually do everything and correct everything. BOSS will fix up your load order but it's not 100% accurate from what I've read. You could always use FO3Edit which is the same as TESEdit for Skyrim. It will prompt an error if it see's a mod in the wrong load order.

I actually recommened you heavily mod fallout 3 cause although its a wonderful game it has the usual story 

with Betha great game but the bugs and just plain annoying stuff .Aprox 1/3  of the mods with fallout 3 where just to deal with annoying stuff.

=======================================================

Some thing that I will drive you insane with fallout 3 if you dont mod it :

======================================================

Some of the guns will fallout apart if you sneaze too hard near then ie you get 5 shots before they fall apart

The amount of trash and stuff every where will make your eyes bleed and induce and epileptic fit in 5 minutes

the cammera is at a crazy angle and you will never hit anything you shoot at And you will be constantly walking into walls rather than walk through a door.

Car explode with more power than a 10 megaton nuclear warhead

goo piles from laser weapon are just F'ing annoying as they never disappear.

There are no iron weapon sights at all

Kill a crowd of enemies with the blood mess perk and you will never ever find all there equipment as there will be body parts from here to the moon.

Dont forget to save just before you leave the tutorial cause it like oblivion tutorial cept 5 times longer but very fun to do once.

========================================

Awesome stuff

=========================================

bear in mind that betha games seem to get more twitchy and hard to mod the older they are.Or maybe the tools just where not as mature.

There are  just  a tom of awesome character and locations you will love it.

THere are heaps of awesome mods

Now its been along time since I played fallout 3  but there are 3 just awesome companions Brisa, Sydney , and amy wong.

Also if TTW and sexout Fade to Black plug in actually works on Fallout 3 you could do the awesome sex quest -which had fade to black scenes- but was extremely fun called the wasteland reproduction guide but with sexout animations..Forget animated prostitute its nothing compared to sexout.

Pixie K said it best.  Try a vanilla run once to appreciate a modded FO3.  It will "wow" you on the mods you install.  The only stuff you'll want no matter what is a body replacer like Type 3 or Type 6M (my preference for FO3) and the armors available.  Type 6M has some really great armors too done by Izumiko.  It's all a matter of your preference.  Obviously being the type of game it is you'll find endless weapon mods.  Take your pick.

The only adult mod I know of Is Sexis (Sexus?).  There is also "Animated Prostitution", but I think they conflict.  For Sexis, it's nothing like FO:NV's Sexout.  It gets the job done. I found I really didn't use it too much.  I ended up just really enjoying FO3 for the game it is.  It feels a lot different than Fallout New Vegas (FO:NV).

As for FOMM, I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use it for both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas at the same time.  So if you decide you really love FO3 and end up getting FO:NV, you might end up regretting it.  I used NMM for FO3 and FOMM for FO:NV.  Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on that, but I thought I read about that or seen a video explaining it.  Just some food for thought.

You will notice that modding Skyrim, FO3 and FO:NV are all different.  Each is a new experience, so expect some reading to get to know how things work.  FO3 is fun.  Enjoy and good luck.

As for FOMM, I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use it for both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas at the same time.  So if you decide you really love FO3 and end up getting FO:NV, you might end up regretting it.  I used NMM for FO3 and FOMM for FO:NV.  Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on that, but I thought I read about that or seen a video explaining it.  Just some food for thought.

You can use both. When you open it, it will ask you if you want FO3 or FONV. If you make one of the two games as preference, you still will be able to switch between the two games.

Guest carywinton

You can use both. When you open it, it will ask you if you want FO3 or FONV. If you make one of the two games as preference, you still will be able to switch between the two games.

The last version of FOMM before the excellent work of Prideslayer's version does support both FO3 and FNV. It is a single install that handles both games and directories simultaneously. The current work with FOMM has now become a combined effort with Prideslayer and the developer over at Nexus both sharing ideas and such on it, so we can look forward to a really nice version to be available soon with tons of bug fixed and possibly some nice new streamlined features.

You really need:

ENBSeries FalloutNV v0249 (works with FO3 as well)

DarNifiedUI (better interface)

Fallout Script Extender (FOSE)

Nexus mods:

Updated Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - #19122

DIY (better main quest change) - #9680

Sprint Mod - #1854

-or-

FPS Grenade and Sprint Keys - #17359

Dimonized Type3 Body - #4280

Max Level Workaround - #121

Revamped Leveling - #19083

Wasteland Mastery - #2045

Ultimate Perk Package - #1409

Magazines (like FONV magazines) - #19099

Gun Oil (for fixing guns) - #19907

RH Ironsights - #6938

Cool Lasers (they really are! ) - #17320

Nuclear Mines (perfect for traps for behemoths) - #2276

Ranger Compound Redux - #17873

Regulator HQ Redesigned - #17174

Regulator HQ Defense - #12239

GNR Building Redux - #16938

Canterbury Boomtown - #11010

Crowded Cities - #11035

Upgraded Caravan Merchants - #6388

Tenpenny Tower Alternate Endings - #20069

Marts Mutant Mod - #3211

V-Tec Backpack/Fannypack - #14060

Simply Lockers (adds more storage to the Megaton home) - #17964

Portable Mattress - #1710

Ice Cold Water - #4566

Night Vision Goggles - #17390

Digital Nightmare (music replacement) - #20089

Pipboy 2500 - #16836

More Map Markers - #2446

NIce to see a topic on F3.

I am new to the Fallout 3 series as well and would ask some questions...

1. Is there a reason for the low lvl cap (does F3 have less content than NV)?

2. How stable is F3 with more than 60 mods (Steam store page says that Fallout 3 has problems with Windows 7 and since GameByro engine games in general are pretty vulnerable to ctd's I am little bit scared)

3. What do you guys prefer? FOOK 2 or FWE?

@JLF65

what are those #xxxx tags for and thanks for the mod suggestions!

Personally...I think Fellout is too overrated.. Sure it was first mod to remove the annoying green tint but I've dumped the mod right after I've discovered Enhanced Weather + Dynamic Weather ...both work wonderfully together and do the same if not better job than Fellout...as Fellout makes all colors too vibrant and oversaturated for a post-apocalyptic world. On top of that..EW+DW add rain, fog, lightning storms, sandstorms and several other weather moods to the game. ..OR there's Project Reality Mk.I basically same as the 2 before but with some nifty features like heat haze, eye light adapt effect and more...

@dongding
The #### are mod's IDs on nexus.
i.e.: More Map Markers - #2446 is http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2446/

NIce to see a topic on F3.

I am new to the Fallout 3 series as well and would ask some questions...

1. Is there a reason for the low lvl cap (does F3 have less content than NV)?

2. How stable is F3 with more than 60 mods (Steam store page says that Fallout 3 has problems with Windows 7 and since GameByro engine games in general are pretty vulnerable to ctd's I am little bit scared)

3. What do you guys prefer? FOOK 2 or FWE?

@JLF65

what are those #xxxx tags for and thanks for the mod suggestions!

1 - No one at Bethesda ever thought anyone would need higher levels to finish the game entirely. They did boost the highest level for Broken Steel, but that was only going from 20 to 30. The mods I posted allow you to go beyond 30 for the level, and beyond 100 for skills. You can also give yourself more or fewer perks, skill points, or even special points per level up. You can change how much experience is needed to level up. I like playing at a higher difficulty with MMM, so I make the exp for levels lower to level up faster, and give myself more perks per level.

2 - I commonly run over 100 mods on FO3 in Windows XP with only 2GB of ram (I have more ram, but WXP won't use more since ATI/Catalyst doesn't work with the 3GB flag). I've "only" got 68 mods active currently, and can play for 4 to 5 hours without a crash. But still save often - I got lulled into a false sense of security by how stable I was running and lost a few hours worth of play on my last crash. :)

3 - Neither. I make specific mods to the vanilla game - mainly the mods I listed above.

When you're on the Nexus, you can just change the mod # in the URL to go to mods. I just give the number as a shortened form of the URL.

I heard that FWE makes the game much more immersive since it creates a "hardcore"-esque feeling like NV had. I really like that. FOOK 2 seems to be great as well but crases a lot from what I can hear.

And since you're playing on XP, you probably can't really comment on my fear, that F3 will crash more often on Win7 when heavily modded.

Fook and FWE are two different feelings. If you are in love with these games, you'll find yourself repeating the whole playthrough more times: it's exactly here that overhauls like those come very handy, they really let you play the same game in a completely different way. I doubt I could play vanilla gameplay more than 3 times in a row, overhauls are a bless for longevity.

For what concerns the cap in FO3, I uncapped for the first time just few months ago. This last playthrough is the longest I ever had: main storyline + all the DLCs + some mods, when I saw 308 marked locations in one of the screens while the game is loading I couldn't believe I did it. Anyway, I'm ONLY at lv 32, thanks to FWE and its lovely slow progression. Really, I couldn't find enough good words to describe how much I love that mod, NV hardcore mode is a joke compared to FWE. And, mainly, I still die in one/two shots even at this level, it's definetely amazing: I hate Bethesda demi-god mode you reach after you level a bunch of times, in this playthrough I'm a demi-god only against molerats.

I'm running 99 mods, merged patch and master update: absolutely stable, much more than NV

Fook and FWE are two different feelings. If you are in love with these games, you'll find yourself repeating the whole playthrough more times: it's exactly here that overhauls like those come very handy, they really let you play the same game in a completely different way. I doubt I could play vanilla gameplay more than 3 times in a row, overhauls are a bless for longevity.

For what concerns the cap in FO3, I uncapped for the first time just few months ago. This last playthrough is the longest I ever had: main storyline + all the DLCs + some mods, when I saw 308 marked locations in one of the screens while the game is loading I couldn't believe I did it. Anyway, I'm ONLY at lv 32, thanks to FWE and its lovely slow progression. Really, I couldn't find enough good words to describe how much I love that mod, NV hardcore mode is a joke compared to FWE. And, mainly, I still die in one/two shots even at this level, it's definetely amazing: I hate Bethesda demi-god mode you reach after you level a bunch of times, in this playthrough I'm a demi-god only against molerats.

I'm running 99 mods, merged patch and master update: absolutely stable, much more than NV

If you don't like feeling like a demi-god, just use MMM with partially unleveled enemies and increased spawns. I was feeling demi-god-ish myself until I came down from the vault my last play-thru and stumbled onto a DOZEN raiders at Springvale Elementary, all better armed, armored, and much higher level. :ph34r:

A few levels later, I was going toward Big Town and stumbled on a fight between Super Mutants, Outcast Brotherhood, and raiders. I died a dozen times trying to involve myself in that Battle Royale. :lol:

With increased Behemoth spawn chances, you'll encounter Behemoths in places you'd normally never see one, like that church north of Big Town. They're a lot tougher in MMM as well. MMM does a good job of putting the normally-overpowered Lone Wanderer back into his proper place in the food chain. ;)

I played with MMM (and MoMod in both NV and Skyrim) for a long time. While they give a real taste of difficulty as you say, and also "unlevelled" for me is synonimous of "realism", they were one of the main causes for my instability and I had to remove them all. There's only a mod that adds creatures which I'm actually using and it doesn't give me problems, but unfortunately it is for  NV. All the other ones I tried during these years always gave me serious issues on stability, that's a real pity but I really wouldn't like to come back to CTD every few minutes... :-/

I find that there's a point on my system where there's too much loaded. If I watch carefully, I'll see signs of it before a crash - usually missing textures. To keep from crashing, I have to monitor how much memory I use in-game. If I want to use a big heavy resource intensive mod (like MMM), I need to keep some of the other things turned off to avoid that magic usage boundary. I cut back on player homes with lots of textures, maybe switch off the armor replacers. Use a custom armor that isn't 200MB. That sort of thing. Skyrim is a bit better about this now with the new memory patch; I just wish there was something like that for FO3.

I never had issues with memory, with the 4 gb patch. But concerning the number of mods, there are two different theories. On a side, illustruous mates tell us it just depends by our system, always. On the other side, on Nexus forums it seems they found a "magic number" which is 139 active plugins, over that limit you can have random issues with random mods, no matter what system you have. In any case I prefer surely stick below that limit, whatever it is, my NV has very few mods since a while and I tend to overcharge only my Skyrim: since as you say things like SSME etc. do miracles, actually it is running around 190 esp and it's quite stable

Guest endgameaddiction

Oh yeah, after you've gone through the game and DLCs, I really advise you to check out Alton, IL mod. It's pretty much another DLC. In fact, I suggest getting your level ups before doing this. I haven't tried it at low level, but I wouldn't recommend it.

We forgot to mention one of the most bad ass mods ever to exist for Fallout 3. EVE.

And if you are looking for Book of Earache, I've heard the link to the location is dead. I'm unaware if it is, but I've uploaded the BOE v4.4 if anyone wants it.

BOE - Download Me!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The DC Interiors Project" yet. Beyond NMC's texture packs, it's probably the second most valuable mod I have in my list. It opens up a ton of world spaces that were previously blocked off and really lets you scavenge the ruins of DC, rather than just passing it by on the way to an objective. It adds a ton of decorative items as well, most of which were already in FO3 as static objects. Plus, the gnomes hidden throughout the wasteland are awesome. It's pretty much a pack-rat/collectors wet dream.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/5573/?

Because it modifies so much of the DC area, you might end up running into conflicts with mods that use the same buildings. I haven't run into any yet, but keep an eye out if you install it.

Also, if you like smaller, more confined spaces, you might want the check out the "SOSUS Station Home" mod. It's basically a two-man underwater listening post for enemy subs, which fits well into the FO Universe. tdx73 is a master at creating great small living areas with a lot of amenities packed into a tiny (and more believable) package. The only complaint is that it's a bit too "clean", and some of the resources are fairly low resolution. The only reason why I'm building my own home mod and not using that full time is because I've been crashing a lot in small interiors after installing Marts Mutant Mod. Anyhow, if you ever get FO:NV, definitely check out his Mobile Truck Base too.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19199/?

If you have much interest in decorating your home, then "Feng Shei" is pretty much mandatory. It lets you take just about any inventory item and place/rotate it precisely, scale it up and down, and then lock it in place so that you don't have to worry about overlapping hit boxes and Havok weirdness destroying your whole setup. And if you get the Updated Beta version, it's the next best thing to having the power of the G.E.C.K mod tools - in game.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/11532/?

Archived