DXing Posted Sunday at 07:11 PM Posted Sunday at 07:11 PM This guide is intended for animators.  I've always thought it was really hard to find information on how to animate for the game, not just for Wicked Whims, but in general, as some of the information seems to be all over the place. A lot of it is process knowledge, that you learn from doing it, and isn't really written down anywhere.  So I wanted to share some of what I have learned so far, for anyone who's trying to understand how to animate, but is completely lost.  Animating itself is already hard enough, and lack of information shouldn't be the main reason why.  0. Where to start [WickedWhims - Tutorials] If you're trying to create packages for Wicked Whims you should start at Turbodriver's Tutorials. Frankly, I don't think there is need to make a tutorial on this myself, all the information you'd need is literally already written down there. If you're patient, follow every direction on the step by steps, you're all set in this regard. But if there is demand for this, or I think of a good reason for a video on this topic to exist, I'll make one.  1. Basic Principles of Animation [YouTube link]  1.1 - Eases  1.2 - Compound Animation  1.3 - Inertia (Anticipation, Body & Mass)  1.4 - Curves  1.5 - Decay  2. Rig, Limits, and Constraints [YouTube link]  2.1 - Tools Overview  2.2 - Setting the Scene  2.3 - Props & Stigmata  2.4 - Rig Overview  2.5 - Dope Sheet  2.6 - Limbs' Limits  2.7 - Root  2.8 - Rotating  2.9 - Shoulders  2.10 - Avoiding Compounded LocRots  2.11 - Neck  2.12 - Foot Rolls  2.12 - Arm Limits  2.13 - Resetting Scene  2.14 - Adding Rig Controls  2.15 - Glasses  3. Animating I [YouTube link]  3.1 - Pose "Theory"  3.2 - Applying Animation Principles and Theory 4. Animating II [WIP]  4.1 - Working with Multiple Actors  4.2 - Loops  4.3 - Cross Axis Compound Animations  5. Tools, Tips & Random Shit [WIP]  Basically a video for all random bullshit I didn't cover elsewhere.  Feel free to give any constructive feedback if anything I've mentioned in the videos is incorrect, or can be improved in any way. I shall expand, adapt, edit and maintain this guide as more information becomes available.  ---- Relevant links:  Blender 2.7 Dagger's-Simite Rig (Compatible with Wicked Whims) TS4SimRipper _s4animtools  Other useful links:  Small guide for creating animations for TS4 + tips and tricks Turbodriver's Tutorials (again, in case you've missed it) Sounds description for animators  3
Simpossible_xx Posted yesterday at 07:26 PM Posted yesterday at 07:26 PM (edited) Absolutely wonderful and useful tutorial, especially the basic principles with lore friendly examples, ahh. Thank you so much for making and sharing it! 💜  It is important to mention that Dagger's control rig has the outdated female bottom body mesh with the misplaced coochie, so you need to replace it with the most recent WW female body mesh.  Also:  1. I think that it would be very helpful if you could explain the usual workflow of creating the animation. Such as determining the idea of your animation and the number of frames, then blocking and making the main movement of your animation (for example looped squats because why not), then adding some extra movements (like breathing maybe), then polishing everything and adding all the small details.  2. Animating facial expressions can be really frustrating and overwhelming sometimes (every time actually ðŸ¤) because you want the expressions to look natural and transition harmonically but there are just so many bones to animate. You can make a natural expression for a pose, but it is much harder to make them consistent and connected, such as eye blinks, eyebrow raising (TheRock.gif), licking lips, transitions between emotions, smiles, moans, orgasmic faces, eye movement, upper lids, lower lids, squints, jaw... I know that the best way to animate facial expression is to animate them from a reference, but sometimes you don't have one or wish to make your own facial animation. Perhaps you could recommend a method to animate them properly? :3  As for useful links, I would totally recommend watching this video about 12 principles of animation for better understanding of the animation and the idea behind doing specific movements. Also, I would strongly recommend for everyone who is interested in making WW animations to look through this WIP thread for animators and make notes on every important info regarding animation. It may be tedious, but that thread features a lot of important info you really need to know, such as proper way to bake your animation or how to add visual effects.  Finally, the most important advice for beginners in animating is to always remember that it is okay to make mistakes, it is okay to be imperfect, it is not about making your seamless animation from the start and there is absolutely no need to spend days on polishing all the small details. Everyone start somewhere, just make sure to follow your passion and keep trying, keep practicing and keep experimenting! Edited yesterday at 07:29 PM by Simpossible_xx 1
DXing Posted 21 hours ago Author Posted 21 hours ago Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it all! Very good points.. Especially the last one.. I always need to keep telling myself that.. 1
Simpossible_xx Posted 16 hours ago Posted 16 hours ago (edited) 6 hours ago, DXing said: Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it all! Very good points.. Especially the last one.. I always need to keep telling myself that.. Absolutely. I've been there many times: procrastinating, overthinking, what if my animation is not good enough, what if I animate this or that wrong and will have to redo everything from the scratch... but when I complete and polish the animation, add the sounds and visual effects and see the final result in game, I just can't get proud enough of myself hahaha, as I really love what I am seeing! Oh, and especially when people are saying that they like my work and enjoy it in their game, it is a wonderful feeling and a great motivation to carry on 🥰  I'm glad to help and will provide more feedback later :3 Edited 14 hours ago by Simpossible_xx 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now