(V0.0.5) SmallerTalk - Smalltalk replacement

Sounds fine to me. Could be useful for prostitute/workgirl/similar as well, really (press 'e' to speak to an NPC normally, or 'x' to initiate prostitution dialog, etc).

I'd make the keybinding configurable, though, in case someone or some mod is using 'x' for something else.

Well thats 2 for and none against, so next version, I'll do it this way and we'll see what happens. It will depend on other modders to support the new system by adding the SexoutGreeting topic to all their quest dialogs.

I'll try to whip up working demos of the functionality in some of the smaller mods, maybe conversions of HowAbout, WorkingGirl, and SS?

(by smaller I mean less varied dialog)

Wouldn't mods trip over each other this way? Like' date=' if I made the SexoutGreeting in WorkingGirl toplevel, wouldn't it conflict with SewerSlave doing something similar?

[/quote']

That potential is there. It's up to the modders to set the proper conditions in their dialog topics, just like you have to do for GREETING and other topics to prevent them from showing up under the wrong NPCs.

Generally a faction check on that dialog and any others marked 'top-level' should prevent those conflicts between mods. You have to do the same thing with Smalltalk though; when you don't, odd little bugs pop up, like the perennial dog conversations (I think HowAbout has one of these). ;)

I've created a modified Smaller Talk that uses a slight change to the scripting and adds one GREETING and a response to that greeting. Basically inside the innermost script if-endif block where it starts the GREETING topic I added an integer variable (intTarget) set to 1 (default = 0) and then I start a topic called SmallerTalkGreeting with the condition of GetQuestVariable(intTarget) == 1 for SmallerTalkQuest. It's a priority 90 greeting topic. It has one response that is a 25 priority response so that if the NPC has ANY other topics that would preclude closing the dialogue window, they'll override this response. If they have absolutely nothing that would stop the dialogue from closing, they'll get the priority 25 response instead. The conversation is very simple... the priority 90 greeting the NPC says when activated is "What's up?" and the priority 25 response if they have nothing else is "Nothing." which is a goodbye response and closes the dialogue (so you don't need to use "closeallmenus".

Give it a try and see if it works a little smoother than the existing esp... it does for me but everyone's load list is different...

Thanks for this and the PM' date=' I'll give it a try!

According to the GECK wiki, priority simply changes the *order* things appear such that priority 90 things will appear above priority 25, but they all appear together. Are you saying it works differently?

[/quote']

That GECK definition is correct however a wide priority difference between top and bottom I've seen cause the lowest responses to fail to even appear. That's because goodbye's generally have no selection criteria because they're linked to a topic as a response. In order to guarantee the "Nothing." shows up, you could add the same criteria I used in SmallerTalkGreeting to the low priority response which would, well "should", force it to appear.

Gotcha. Thanks for the ESP' date=' I'll try to check it out tonight or tomorrow. Others should do the same. Sewerslave and HowAbout both require smalltalk, so they're good candidates for testing with this instead.

[/quote']

HowAbout I *know* works with this, it's what I tested it with. I don't have SewerSlave installed though. It also worked with the Useable Cigarettes mod from the Nexus so I can ask anyone I meet for a smoke.

updated esp with the condition added to the response for comparison...

Have you tried the 'named' questable NPCs? That was a problem in the first version as well. For example, Major Dhatri broke *after* you completed the sidequest to kill the three badass fiends; he worked fine before and during.

Glad to know it worked with HowAbout. I have SS here, so I'll try it with that now.

Have you tried the 'named' questable NPCs? That was a problem in the first version as well. For example' date=' Major Dhatri broke *after* you completed the sidequest to kill the three badass fiends; he worked fine before and during.

Glad to know it worked with HowAbout. I have SS here, so I'll try it with that now.

[/quote']

Even with the condition added to the response, it's still getting discarded if they have a higher response "goodbye" flagged response. Fairly typical "undocumented" behavior I've seen from the Fallout engine...hmm, let me take my test character and do his quest and check.

Ok.

I just found another one where it still isn't working quite right. NCR Squatters in Freeside (might have been added by rePOP'd)' date=' "Heard some more people got attacked last night."

This is fairly irritating.. ;)

[/quote']

Sigh, Major Dhatri did not work... I'm experimenting with how to at least get HIM working...

Ok.

I just found another one where it still isn't working quite right. NCR Squatters in Freeside (might have been added by rePOP'd)' date=' "Heard some more people got attacked last night."

This is fairly irritating.. ;)

[/quote']

Sigh, Major Dhatri did not work... I'm experimenting with how to at least get HIM working...

My solution was posted in this thread, and was basically hacking his particular greeting. It seemed like a more reasonable solution to do that to just specific 'named' NPCs that have issues, if we can get smallertalk working reliably with the generic ones.

You may come up with something better though, so I'm rooting for you.. :)

Well' date=' my aim is to have the elegance of not touching a single vanilla record... I'll probably go crazy first though...lol.

[/quote']

That is/was my aim as well, but I've revised my outlook. If I (or anyone) can get it working as well as Smalltalk and keep it under ~100KB, I'd be pretty happy. Smalltalk works pretty well, but it touches everything, is a huge mod, and not being able to skip most of the load screens (because it's still loading) just kills it for me.

Well' date=' my aim is to have the elegance of not touching a single vanilla record... I'll probably go crazy first though...lol.

[/quote']

That is/was my aim as well, but I've revised my outlook. If I (or anyone) can get it working as well as Smalltalk and keep it under ~100KB, I'd be pretty happy. Smalltalk works pretty well, but it touches everything, is a huge mod, and not being able to skip most of the load screens (because it's still loading) just kills it for me.

I don't mind the long load time and being forced to watch the screens... what annoys me is that it does not include a single bug fix or community patch change for ANY of the dialogue it edits. All it does is remove the "goodbye" flag from a buttload of dialogue responses... but unfortunately retains every single dialogue error vanilla had...

[/quote']

I don't mind the long load time and being forced to watch the screens... what annoys me is that it does not include a single bug fix or community patch change for ANY of the dialogue it edits. All it does is remove the "goodbye" flag from a buttload of dialogue responses... but unfortunately retains every single dialogue error vanilla had...

Yes, that's a problem too; and being an ESP, it loads after (and can screw up) dialog bug fixes in ESMs.

SewerSlave seemed to work mostly ok. There were a few times when I got their default oddball comment and had to ask again, but it always worked the second time.

I say mostly, because St. James never showed up to collect after five or so days down there. I don't know how that could possibly be related, but I seem to remember him showing up every day or two unless that's changed.

This testing was done with the first version you put up, without the condition modification.

SewerSlave seemed to work mostly ok. There were a few times when I got their default oddball comment and had to ask again' date=' but it always worked the second time.

I say mostly, because St. James never showed up to collect after five or so days down there. I don't know how that could possibly be related, but I seem to remember him showing up every day or two unless that's changed.

This testing was done with the first version you put up, without the condition modification.

[/quote']

Well, try as I might, I could not get Major Dhatri from saying his standard goodbye message and closing dialogue. I think in his particular case, we may need to remove the goodbye flag on his exit dialogues and/or place our own dialogue in his dialogue tree...

Here's what I tried:

GREETING - INFO, which you're testing.

TOPIC (both top level and not) - INFO

GOODBYE replacer with INFO

FORCED topics using StartConversation (the above)

AddPackage in the script with a Dialogue package starting all of the above because StartConversation can fail if they have to walk too far to initiate the conversation.

Ooh, I think I got it...

This version plays a standard greeting as long as the NPC has ANY greetings not "goodbye" flagged but if they have ALL "goodbye" flagged responses, it will do a "What's up? Nothing much... and you? Same ol', same ol'..." dialogue and NOT exit. This leaves me with SexoutNG's "hello there sweetie...", HowAbout's "Hey, I've got an idea..." and my cigarette mod's "Do you have a cigarette for me?" responses and also a default "Goodbye." response. It worked with Major Dhatri leaving me with the mod added responses plus you can ask him for more bounties, he just won't have any.

Give it a go...

Ooh' date=' I think I got it...

This version plays a standard greeting as long as the NPC has ANY greetings not "goodbye" flagged but if they have ALL "goodbye" flagged responses, it will do a "What's up? Nothing much... and you? Same ol', same ol'..." dialogue and NOT exit. This leaves me with SexoutNG's "hello there sweetie...", HowAbout's "Hey, I've got an idea..." and my cigarette mod's "Do you have a cigarette for me?" responses and also a default "Goodbye." response. It worked with Major Dhatri leaving me with the mod added responses plus you can ask him for more bounties, he just won't have any.

Give it a go...

[/quote']

Nice.. giving it a try!