i give up

Guest wellbredbitch

Guest wellbredbitch

no i don't play with a controller. i use mouse and keyboard.  that is just to answer your question. the good news is that i have fixed it. the game i mean. what ever i deleted must have been the residue from a previous game as Uriel suggested. i played to the point that i am in helgen keep and saved it. the high res textures look much better than the standard game. thanks for all the advice and help guys. loverslab members are the best online community i have known.

That's good news. I had to learn the hard way, before running across people who would help (like the awesome folks at LL), that if you want to start a fresh, new game and not have any issues you have to hunt down every last scrap of your previous games and nuke the shit outta' them. :P

Now that you got it fixed, and about to mod the game again, why not take the time first to learn how to use MO? That way, you can keep your Skyrim installation clean.

You can keep a game clean by yourself, MO or similar software is mostly done to save time or to help beginners. As long as you are aware what you install, organize your game manually I find to be the best solution. Maybe it's just me, I usually depend on myself alone in special when I am the one installing mods, so I have to know what I did where. Don't need a tool telling me something is conflicting when I should know in the first place if the said mod does.

Bad opinion, as some stuff MO does can't be applied manually w/o putting unneeded stress on the engine.
NMM is for beginners and still not very fail-safe.
Wrye and MO are for experienced user, whereby MO offers the most functionality and is (aside from self created SymLinks) the only way to keep your Skyrim installation 100% vanilla, freeing you from having to reinstall/restore it again.

Functions worth knowing in MO:
- load BSAs w/o having to load it thru a dummy plugin or the iNi

- fixes the string length, making the old Nitpick SKSE plugin obsolete

- allows multiple profiles with own saves and iNis

- support for Bain and NMM installer scripts

- some other stuff, making it very usefull

So after all, using MO is a suggestion and the recommended Mod Manager.

Manual works too, but to have it work similar to MO, you would have to backup your game and play with incremental backups and restores.

So in the end it comes down to user friendlieness and the method one prefers as everything has its pros and cons.

Example: MO is very modder unfriendly if you don't create own tools to fix it. i really had to write a replacement for the compiler, so i don't have to copy all needed source scripts into one single dir and then link it properly.

I've done the manual thing myself. More than any other way actually. But having to keep backups to replace removed/overwritten parts is a pain in the ass and time consuming.

Now that I've figured out how to use MO I am loving it. And no messing around with order of overwrites as you do with manual installs. You simply move a mod or mods up/down the list to achieve the same effect. And again without touching the Skyrim folder. Plus MO even has a manual install option to boot (instead of automatically placing folders).

Mod Organizers priorities feature is a gem of it's own.

For instance, you can keep Multiple versions of meshes for armor (BBP,UNP,CBBE,UNP Skinny,7B etc) all active at the same time. When you change body mesh/skeleton, all you have to do is set the priority of the mesh you need highest in its group, and done.

Same goes for texture sets, RaceCompatibility setups and Framework version (though they are best setup under a different profile).

No easy way to any of that manually.  :shy: