IGNORED

RPG gems

DBSS99

I have in my vast and awe inspiring PC game collection, some hidden and rare copies of RPG awesomeness, like:

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen

Fallout 1 & 2

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Icewind Dale

Knights of the Old Republic

Divine Divinity

Neverwinter Night's

Valkyrie Profile

Gothic 1,2, & 3

What gems does everyone else have hidden away?

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES)

I could list an entire list of other games that have been collecting dust on my shelf or that have gone missing years ago but that is the one that I can never let go of. It was never an award winning game or one that many people have played (or even heard of) but for me it has ALL the elements I want from a game; Exploration, Strategy, Upgrading, History, and the ability to take on challenges that were far beyond your level but if you had some luck and were good at what you were doing there was a small chance you could win.

The game set you as a sea captain let loose on the oceans during the age of exploration in Europe. You could focus on trading, be a pirate, be the admiral of the spanish armada, or travel the world and explore the farthest reaches of the globe. The entire time you made discoveries, found hidden treasures, fought storms in the open ocean, and had one on one sword battles with the enemy captain of battling ships.

In many ways I see it as a very limited precursor for games like Skyrim. The exploration, freedom, various faction allegiances, sense of adventure, and "different game everytime you play it" vibe is what I've looked for in games ever since. I've been looking for a game to replace it for years and have come up with nothing. Never been a fan of RTS, modern/future combat, and games that were too linear. Going back now the game is a relic but it still amazes me that no games have even tried to take and improve on the concept.

(PS, I know about the various sequels and even the recent mmo in the Asian territories but without a proper translation I just won't get the same enjoyment out of the games that I did with that one.)

[video=youtube]

Presto, I was afraid of mentioning Uncharted Waters as it might show my age :)

Damn that was a fun game!!! I spent a crap ton of hours playing it. I can honestly say that I spent more time playing it than all other console games to date combined. By the time I gave my system away to a nephew some years ago I had such a ridiculous fleet that EVERY country would immediately flee when I approached. :)

Sadly they just don't make games any where close to as addicting as this sucker was!

Presto' date=' I was afraid of mentioning Uncharted Waters as it might show my age :)

Damn that was a fun game!!! I spent a crap ton of hours playing it. I can honestly say that I spent more time playing it than all other console games to date combined. By the time I gave my system away to a nephew some years ago I had such a ridiculous fleet that EVERY country would immediately flee when I approached. :)

Sadly they just don't make games any where close to as addicting as this sucker was!

[/quote']

Wow, didn't even realize that game was almost 18 years old now! It was one of those games I bought back in the day when I only had saved up allowance money and had a single game to play for months at a time. I played games like this, FFIII, Shining Force, and Civilization to the point of obsession and being able to play them with my eyes practically shut.

Things are different now though. I have at least 2-3 games that I'm playing at any given time not to mention a game or two on my iPhone. Also if I'm playing a game on my console then I'm streaming a movie on my PC and if I'm playing on my PC I'm watching whatever I have recorded on my DVR on my TV.

I just don't have the same attention span or focus that I used to have back then. Too many distractions, add ons, upgrades, and sequels to focus on a single vanilla version of any game at one time. There are many games that I regularly don't even beat anymore because they just aren't as engaging and there is always something else out there to jump into and explore.

I got into the whole RPG addiction really late in the game. My first RPG being when I was 13 which was Final Fantasy VIII. With that said I'd say the old gems from that time to me would probably be as follows:

Suikoden 2

Legend of Legaia

Star Ocean the Second Story

Tales of Destiny 2

Sadly not even the newer incarnations of some of these game matched their predecessors brilliance and epicness. Ahh well.

• 3 weeks later...

Wizardry 8 is an old favorite of mine. Vast 3D world to explore, open gameplay, turnbased combat, hugely customizable party to create, lots to discover.

I play Angband and it's variants, as well as TOME4 roguelikes.

Gothic 1+2 are highly rated but I suck at the combat so I never got far into it.

Vampire: the masquerade: Bloodlines is a wonderful game, far far better than the hack and slash V:TM predecessor. Needs mods though, mostly bug fixes.

Arx Fatalis came out about the same time as Morrowind and was 3D, first person, gesture based magic....basically a gigantic dungeon. Seriously good if you have patience.

I have every single Breath of fire game.

1-4 are absolutely amazing. If you want you can play 1 & 2 on an emulator. 3&4 are on PS1 (not sure how well a emulator will work) and If you wanted to buy them It will cost you I think I saw BOF1 on amazon for like 1000$.

Bof 5 was a piece of crap IMO but it's on the PS2 and if you search enough gamestops and used game stores you could find it cheep or amazon. I'm angry capcom gave us that garbage and than stopped the series tho.

I got into the whole RPG addiction really late in the game. My first RPG being when I was 13 which was Final Fantasy VIII. With that said I'd say the old gems from that time to me would probably be as follows:

Suikoden 2

Legend of Legaia

Star Ocean the Second Story

Tales of Destiny 2

Sadly not even the newer incarnations of some of these game matched their predecessors brilliance and epicness. Ahh well.

SO2 is one of the best console RPGs ever made, period. It had a really small print run in the UK but I put my name down for a 2nd hand copy at my local game swap stores. 2 weeks later they rang me and had a copy traded in at another store but they'd send it over for me to collect. They were nervous to tell me it was going to cost £20... when copies on eBay were going for £60.

I never had an 8-bit console, having a Commodore 64 right up until I got a MegaDrive (Genesis) and I think the first RPG I got for it was Phantasy Star 2, another all-time classic. I changed to a SNES only to find that none of the decent RPGs ever got an EU release.

After that it was a PS1 and I think that's got some of the best games ever made for it. Others that spring to mind are Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Front Mission 3 and Vandal Hearts (last 2 not strictly RPGs but still awesome).

I have in my vast and awe inspiring PC game collection' date=' some hidden and rare copies of RPG awesomeness, like:

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen

Fallout 1 & 2

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Icewind Dale

Knights of the Old Republic

Divine Divinity

Neverwinter Night's

Valkyrie Profile

Gothic 1,2, & 3

What gems does everyone else have hidden away?

[/quote']

Planescape: Torment. I never could figure out how a game could sell platinum and not get a sequel.

I miss here some series/games but maybe some here are too young to know them :P

Final Fantasy I-IX

Final Fantasy Legend (SaGa) Series

Some other FF spin offs, like Tactics or Mystic Quest

Dragon Quest Series

Chrono Trigger

Seiken Densetsu Series

Breath of Fire II+III (never really liked I and IV - V was a real shit)

Parasite Eve I (II was ... crap)

Legend of Dragoon

Lufia II

Terranigma

Illusion of Gaia

Soulblazer

Alundra I

Might & Magic IV-VIII

Suikoden Series

Vampires Dawn (the best non hentai RPG on RPGMaker)

etc.

Could post way more but ... should be enough :P

No one seems to have mention Persona yet, nor Shadow Hearts, therefore I must!

Persona 1 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin recently got release on PSP, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is the second part of Persona 2 and released long ago on the PS1 without Innocent Sin, kind of odd since it works off the story of Innocent Sin directly. Personally I only played Eternal Punishment, it was a different kind of interesting experience without the previous knowledge of Innocent Sin.

Persona 3 has 3 versions, Persona 3 and Persona 3:FES on the PS2, and Persona 3 Portable (P3P) on the PSP. Skip the vanilla if you have never played it before, go straight for FES it has more content, the biggest change in P3P is being able to play a female main character. I played the vanilla and FES, awesome game, it really shows how to have so little in terms of asset but still put off an amazing game.

Persona 4, only one version released on the PS2 so far, there is another version, Persona 4: The Golden, in the works and to be release on the Playstation Vita, no words of outside of Japan release yet tho. P4 is very similar to P3 in a lot of ways, but also vastly different in settings and tone, but just as awesome.

There are three main Shadow Hearts all on PS2 game with a "prequel" under a different name, Koudelka, on the PS1.

Skip Koudelka if you want, two characters and one location shows up on Shadow Hearts 1 and they are fairly story critical areas and characters, but they don't really dabble into the details of Koudelka, so no harm in skipping since the game is kind of meh.

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant (1 & 2 in the series) however are quite an interesting pair. They were developed by two different studio, but directly linked to each other, and plays off each other VERY WELL. If you plan to play one you pretty much have to play the other.

Shadow Hearts: From the New World (the third game) got another studio again. Still pretty interesting, but leaves behind the story of 1 and 2. It does however references the story of 1 & 2 in one very cool ways. Kind of skipable, but not a bad game.

Gonna plug one of my favorite games here, shadow tower abyss

wasn't released in english for years, but some awesome dudes (who also released a translation of the awesome dungeon-crawler-maker sword of moonlight) released a translated .iso recently, which is here, 2nd post: http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=234.70

You can play it on a ps2 if you have freeMCboot, but it emulates absolutely perfectly too.

The game itself is a horror/dungeon crawler, it's a spin-off of the king's field series, and is in turn a precursor to the more well known demon's souls and dark souls.

Like king's field, it's first person, unlike king's field, it has guns!

It also has a very creepy, barren atmosphere, you have to rely on intuition, as anyone that could help you either attempts to kill you or dies.

Combat is pretty innovative too, melee is controlled with the right stick, and battles are based upon damage to limbs, often enemies will just keep going after you decapitate them, though.

some screenshots:

xhvUG.jpg

K1gQM.jpg

4M3AF.jpg

khS0P.jpg

JBccJ.jpg

RAc7l.jpg

Yes credit needs to be given to P3:FES and P4. The only drawback are its long and samey dungeon crawling but the plot and systems in both games are terrific and engrossing. You can quite easily become emotionally involved in the game which is hard to find these days. Both modern classics.

I've never been a fan of the Shadow Hearts series. I know they're quite good games but they just weren't my cup of tea.

Thanks for that Shadow Tower Abyss link. Sounds like it's worth a look.

Archived