Mesh Rigger (Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion) Beta.89.f (10-26-2014)

I can't seem to get the program to create a normal looking armor.

I'm attempting to copy the weights from a TBBP enabled body to a Bodyslide enabled version of the bra from this armor. Quite frequently it seems to make it stretch upwards or shrink.

It's likely me being incompetent with the settings of the MeshRigger, any advice on the settings I should be using to simply copy the weights from one body to another, would be greatly appriciated.

Send me the files that you're working with and I'll take a look and see about posting a guide for you.

My guess is that the problem that you are experiencing has to do with the way that BodySlide handles skeletons. I don't have much direct experience with BodySlide, but from what I can gather, it simply deletes a number of bone transforms from the skeletons when it converts them.

If that sounds like gibberish, don't worry too much about the details...it basically comes down to how nifs get animated in game and all of the various things that can happen when you start modifying bones and rigging.

Without seeing the template. target files that you are working with directly, my guess is that the problem is with one of two settings:

'Replace Rigging'

'Adjust Bind Position'

Replace Rigging basically means that any pre-existing bones and weights will be completely removed from the nif and entirely replaced by bones and weights derived from the template nif. If you are converting a nif from one skeleton to another (such as converting something to be bodyslide compatible), definitely enable this.

Adjust Bind Position is a bit complex to explain. A full explanation would require me to explain in detail how Skyrim animates a particular piece of armor, how bones and skinned geometries relate to an in-game skeleton and how these interact with animations. So, I'll just say, if you are converting to BodySlide, I recommend first disabling this option. If that doesn't give you the results you want, try enabling it.

First off, I totally admire your effort and knowledge and absolutely feel the need to say that. Hope that doesn't sound too cheesy...

Furthermore I'd like to mention at the very beginning that I've done a total re-write of a child mod that is on this site for my personal use, made some of the armours more modest than the ones in the original mod and did new bodies for the kids since I didn't like the old ones. Everything's working fine so far.

I have done new body meshes for both males and females, both weight slider enabled. The bodies are derived from the UNP Skinny body 0 and 1 (males) and the Dream Girl body 0 and 1 (females). I didn't do the bodies with Calientes tools except the import export process for which I used NifCleaner that comes shipped with the Bodyslide 2 tool, the bodies themselves I edited in Blender and after that I exported them using NifCleaner again. Finally I optimized / sanitized them using the Nifskope spells. There were no bogus nodes there, just the link arrays and the blocks needed to be re-ordered, which as I understand is more of a "peace of mind" process. But I did it anyway, since they are always chaotic after export.

Well, as I said, everything's working fine.

BTW: I did some editing on one of the python files for blender according to tutorial site I found on the net:

First off, this is going to save a ton of work.
Before saving a fixed nif, before importing into blender, change dismember info from 32 to BP_TORSO and so on as mentioned already smiley.gif
This can then be weight copied without the need to actually do it yourself.
Reason is that nif import script don't know what 32 means and will import everything as BP_TORSO instead.

However, the problem when exporting is actually very simple. The script is made to export maximum 18 bones pr partition and Skyrim use 22.
This cause error correction to occure and create new BP_TORSO partition with messed up data.
The only reason this works for some meshes is that it is small enough not to impose the limit but if you try to apply it to the whole body it will fail.
Solution is to change the export script limits.
Look in the blender application folder, in .blender\scripts\bpymodules, you will find nif_common.py.
Change
EXPORT_BONESPERPARTITION = 18
to
EXPORT_BONESPERPARTITION = 25

and
min_val = 4, max_val = 18
to
min_val = 4, max_val = 25

This will make the BP_TORSO export correctly smiley.gif

http://www.ladymoiraine.com/forum/index.php?topic=6131.0

The armours for the new bodies are often a problem - well, some of them are. The Outfit Studio sometimes doesn't handle weight copying well (armour doesn't show in Nifskope but in the game, but with strange black areas on them that "swallow" the light, which I think is a weight issue), and the workaround to fix this on Calientes site on the Nexus to apply the weighting manually in Outfit Studio is not elaborate enough (though Calientes tool really is a great step forward in adapting armors, I totally am a fan of her work on this tool). So for the weight copying I tried your tool (tried to copy the weight from the vanilla meshes to the meshes adapted to the new bodies), but in the end the armours were invisible in the game.

The bodies are pretty basic. No TBBP / BBP or other "jiggle" animations of course. But I will be more elaborate on the exact errors, if you wish, as soon as I do the next armours.

Regards,

Ratrace

Well, it should, unfortunately it just failed my re-rigging test. It appears that a recent update inadvertently removed the ability of the tool to fully rig an unskinned nif.

I'll have a new version up later today.

The armours for the new bodies are often a problem - well, some of them are. The Outfit Studio sometimes doesn't handle weight copying well (armour doesn't show in Nifskope but in the game, but with strange black areas on them that "swallow" the light, which I think is a weight issue), and the workaround to fix this on Calientes site on the Nexus to apply the weighting manually in Outfit Studio is not elaborate enough (though Calientes tool really is a great step forward in adapting armors, I totally am a fan of her work on this tool). So for the weight copying I tried your tool (tried to copy the weight from the vanilla meshes to the meshes adapted to the new bodies), but in the end the armours were invisible in the game.

The bodies are pretty basic. No TBBP / BBP or other "jiggle" animations of course. But I will be more elaborate on the exact errors, if you wish, as soon as I do the next armours.

Thanks.

Every now and then I run into that issue. As near as I can tell, it occurs when the Skin Partitions don't get properly re-created.

For the time being, loading the problem nif in Nifskope and running 'Make All Skin Partitions' should resolve that issue if and when it occurs.

*Edit*

Bah. It looks like the tool wasn't properly copying the Dismemberment Partition type from the template nif when 'Replace Partitions' was enabled.

I'll have that fixed with the rest of the bug fixes in the next update.

Mesh Rigger Beta 40 has bee uploaded

Changelog:

1. Bug that could cause certain Skyrim nifs to not appear in-game has been resolved

2. Several miscelaneous performance improvements

3. Several uncommon crash or freeze bugs have been resolved

I'm trying to replace the weights from HDT body 1.4 onto another CBBE armor.

What settings for mesh rigger should I use?

I don't know all that much about skeletons and such, but I do seem to understand some.

The only settings I changed from the default was activating 'replace weights'.

After I selected the all the weights to copy(the popup window) it works for a bit longer than displays this(pic below) and outputs no file >.>

I'm using Mesh Rigger Beta.40 and I tried twice closely following the guide to using it in the OP.

For the template nif, I used the HDTBody.nif(Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\ShapeData\HDTBody) in from HDT body 1.4.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what.

picture

qH9kMSX.jpg

Mesh Rigger Beta 40 has bee uploaded

COOL!

Will test as soon as I find the time. Thanks for the update. I will give feedback, and this time hopefully more elaborate and precise than the last time.

The dismemberment partitions on my bodies are fucked up, yet they work in the game - even with the armours that I already adapted to my bodies. How can that be? Isn't it so that Skyrim uses the dismemberment partitions to apply armor such as boots, circlets etc.?

On the other hand, the decapitation killmove makes my game crash to desktop as soon as it wants to apply the gore / neck meshes (btw: I'm not keen on decapitating Skyrim kids, but I want my mods to work flawlessly).

Maybe copying the dismemberment partitions from the original bodies to the ones I made will solve the problem.

EDIT: The download speed here is about ISDN speed (7 KB/s). Can you make a working mirror if this prob persists?

It's tough to say.

Please look for a folder called 'save' inside of the Mesh Rigger folder. Zip that folder, and the template and target nifs you were working with and I'll see if I can figure out what went wrong.

EDIT: The download speed here is about ISDN speed (7 KB/s). Can you make a working mirror if this prob persists?

Sure thing.

Here's my DropBox Mirror:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghwyd3cipv3t1hq/Mesh%20Rigger%20b_40.7z

On replacing Dismemberment Partitions:

If the option 'Replace Partitions' is enabled, Mesh Rigger will copy the dismemberment partitions from the template mesh to the target meshes using the same basic search algorithm that it uses to copy boneweights. If all goes well, the target mesh should inherit the partition types, locations, and settings from the template mesh.

It's tough to say.

Please look for a folder called 'save' inside of the Mesh Rigger folder. Zip that folder, and the template and target nifs you were working with and I'll see if I can figure out what went wrong.

For whatever reason the log file(mesh_rigger.log)is empty.....But here's everything

warning, the "armor" I was editing is...not lore friendly lol

Also I was having issues(related to the 'smooth seam normals' option) with this armor in Outfit Studio, so it could be related to a similar issue.

It looks like its running out of memory. Those are some serious nifs you're trying to process.

You'll probably need to use the scripts only version with the 64 bit version of Python to process them properly.

Gerra one question does this tool allow me to quickly copy the weight paint from falllout to oblivion mesh ?? if so what is currently the work order to achieve this ??

I tried selecting a fallout mesh a fallout skeleton and used a target mesh from oblivion but this did not work ??

Gerra one question does this tool allow me to quickly copy the weight paint from falllout to oblivion mesh ?? if so what is currently the work order to achieve this ??

I tried selecting a fallout mesh a fallout skeleton and used a target mesh from oblivion but this did not work ??

Sort of.

If the meshes have the same pose, then Mesh Rigger can copy the weights between them. If they don't have the same pose, you'll end up with a whole lot of ugly.

If the meshes have the same pose, Select your template and target meshes. Set the game as Fallout. Enable Replace Rigging and Replace Partitions. Disable UV search.

This should replace the Oblivion skinning on the nif with Fallout skinning. However, it won't change the version number of the nif, so it might not work.

Note: I am working on a specialized tool intended to convert nifs between Skyrim, Fallout, and Oblivion. Once it's done, it should be able to handle these sorts of tasks.

Good News.  Here's an updated answer.

I've just finished coding an experimental tool that will automatically convert a mesh pose between Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout.

Convert Pose

Features:

1. Convert a Skyrim Rigged nif to either Fallout or Oblivion rest pose

2. Convert a Fallout Rigged nif to either Skyrim or Oblivion rest pose

3. Convert an Oblivion Rigged nif to either Skyrim or Fallout rest pose

Using Convert Pose:

1. Run Convert Pose.bat

2. Click File -> Target Options -> and select either the File(s) or the folder that you want to process

3. Click Game -> and select the game that you want to convert from and to. Example: Game->Oblivion To->Skyrim.

4. Click OK

The tool will automatically convert the mesh pose to be compatible with the selected game. Note: This version of the tool is compatible with the vanilla Skyrim, Fallout, and Oblivion skeletons.

Download: Convert_Pose b_01.7z

Once the nif has been posed, you can re-rig the nif using Mesh Rigger.

Some important settings when re-rigging a mesh using Mesh Rigger:

1. Select Bones to Copy: Disable

2. Replace Rigging: Enable

3. Replace Partitions: Enable

It's pretty basic, and the posted version only supports vanilla skeletons. It will work on non-vanilla skeletons, but won't transform unrecognized bones.

Since Skyrim-Fallout-Oblivion conversions required applying a translation and a scale modification the central bone (Bip01, etc) this means that extra bones won't get repositioned properly. Not a big deal, but it will cause some minor distortions if the nif you are converting is rigged with those unrecognized bones.

I'm working on a more comprehensive version of Convert Pose that will do a better job with unrecognized skeletons.

Of course, Convert Pose is actually just a minor utility that I wrote as part of the larger Nif Converter project. Once Nif Converter is complete, it will be possible to handle nearly all of the nif-related conversion tasks required to convert a nif from one game to another (Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim).

It likely won't handle any texture/UV map related issues, but the current goal is to handle everything else.

It's pretty basic, and the posted version only supports vanilla skeletons. It will work on non-vanilla skeletons, but won't transform unrecognized bones.

Since Skyrim-Fallout-Oblivion conversions required applying a translation and a scale modification the central bone (Bip01, etc) this means that extra bones won't get repositioned properly. Not a big deal, but it will cause some minor distortions if the nif you are converting is rigged with those unrecognized bones.

I'm working on a more comprehensive version of Convert Pose that will do a better job with unrecognized skeletons.

Of course, Convert Pose is actually just a minor utility that I wrote as part of the larger Nif Converter project. Once Nif Converter is complete, it will be possible to handle nearly all of the nif-related conversion tasks required to convert a nif from one game to another (Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim).

It likely won't handle any texture/UV map related issues, but the current goal is to handle everything else.

I'm trying to use this tool to convert this folder of Skyrim meshes to Oblivion, but it seems to crash after just one mesh is saved.

Hi gerra6, thanks for making this tool.

I was trying to use it for taki armor but run into some bind errors even when i don't have the "adjust bind" option checked. I've tried different combinations of the options but the program always fails to make an output mesh.

I am just trying to add BBP/TBBP weighting to the taki armor (attached).  I have previously tried to add the weighting in Outfit Studio and was not able to get it to work and was going to wait for next version of Outfit Studio to come out to fix some of the issues.  Then I saw your tool so I was hoping your tool would be able to add BBP/TBBP.

I have been able to add BBP/TBBP to other outfits using both Outfit Studio and your tool, just not this particular taki armor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

taki.7z

That taki armor has some tricky bugs.

Those error messages are pyffi exceptions. In this case they appear to indicate that the nif is a mash-up of meshes with incompatible rigging and skinning. I'm honestly a bit surprised that it is able to work in-game as is.

Here's an experimental patch that avoids the crash bug and allows Mesh Rigger to process and save the Taki armor (tested and confirmed).

Note: For the Taki armor, I recommend the following settings

*Replace Rigging: Enable

*Replace Partitions: Enable

*Adjust Bind Position: Disable

*Select Bones to Copy: Disable

These settings will completely replace the (apparently) bugged rigging on the Taki armor with rigging copied from your template nif. You may want to experiment with some of the settings in the 'Select Rigid Meshes' menu, however this is optional.

Mesh Rigger Beta 0.43

ChangeLog:

1. Eliminates occasional crash bug that can occur with nifs that contain bad geometry block data.

Download (Upgrades from Beta 40 to Beta 43): Main Doanload updated