Mesh Rigger (Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion) Beta.89.f (10-26-2014)

Well...that's bizarre.

I can tell you what's going wrong and how to work-around it, but I have no idea how to replicate that error on my end.

For some crazy reason, your install of Mesh Rigger is processing 'C:/temp3/Mesh Rigger/body_1.nif' as if it were being passed two separate files, C:/temp3/Mesh Rigger/body_1.nif and C:/temp3/Mesh Rigger/body_0.nif.

That't what these lines indicate:

nif_list []

morph_set ['C:\\temp3\\Mesh Rigger\\body']

With your settings, those lines in the log should look like this:

nif_list ['C:\\temp3\\Mesh Rigger\\body_1.nif']

morph_set []

I can't replicate that error and I haven't been able to spot anything that would cause it.

So here's my recommendation.

Run the tool.

Click File->Target Options->Process Selected Meshes Only

And select both body_1.nif and body_0.nif. That will allow the tool to rig both morph meshes normally.

i think that may have resulted from me originally trying to process both files, but because of the memory error, i tried the logged attempt with just selecting body_1.

however, i just started fresh with beta 44 and i think it finally worked!  the armor looks great with bbp weighting =)

thanks again gerra6!

Mesh Rigger has been updated to Beta 46

Change Log:

Beta 44 to 46

1. Significant rebuild of back-end framework for greater stability, robustness, and flexibility

2. Significant Improvements to the back-end vertex matching algorithm. This should result in notable improvements to many former problem areas
3. Significant Improvements to the ability of the tool to work with meshes with unusual bone and/or skin transforms.
4. Elimination of 'wayward vertex' problem when rigging meshes with bad or incompatible skinning.

5. 'Adjust Bind Option' has become redundant and has been removed.

Hi gerra6 - I'm now musing Mesh Rigger for all my work on "Remodeled Armor for Bodyslide and BBP" (Soon to be HDT).

I love the way it cleans .nifs - specifically 1) combining partitions of the same part leftover from Blender's silly export process and 2) removing extra unused name strings (which NifSkope can't do).

However, because the weight copy process isn't exact, there are certain parts that I still need to do in blender (breasts on tight fitting outfits, for instance).

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to get mesh rigger to *only* clean the .nif and not mess with or require any weight changes.

Thanks in advance,

Chrono

Sure.

This is an experimental stand-alone version that includes the cleaning features but not the weightpainting/dismemberment partition copy.

In addition to cleaning a nif, it can also be set to replace the current skeleton with one from a template nif. Like Mesh Rigger, this tool will adjust the meshes to account for any differences in bone transforms between the bone binds.

Just copy it into your Mesh Rigger portable install folder.

Note, since this version does not attempt to match vertices between nifs, it should be much faster than Mesh Rigger.

Download:

Upgrade: Copy into Beta 46 Mesh Rigger folder (Mesh Rigger will still work). Clean Nif b_01 Upgrade.7z

Light: Scripts Only. Clean Nif b_01 Light.7z

Fantastic gerra6 - works like a charm!

Doh!  I may have spoken too soon.  The reskinning process works fine if the input mesh was all meant to have the main body partition, but not for any other body parts.  It always combines them to one and switches to the Body partition (32).  All I want is the combination feature for cleaning up Blender's bad habit of breaking partitions into pieces.  It should read and maintain the input partition if it's already a valid Skyrim partition. Boots, for instance, should always get 37 feet, and gauntlets 34 forearms and 33 hands if they contain part of the hand shape.  Lower leg areas often are purposely divided between 32 body and 38 calves;  this should be maintained.

No worries if this is too much!

Hey Gerra.

I'm trying to copy BBB bones from the UNPB BBB version available in Nexus to a mesh that isn't BBB.

I'm selecting only the BBB bones, and when it gets done, it has neck/hand/feet seams compared to the original non-BBB mesh.

If I copy the original nif's trishapes to the naked body, they align perfectly. If I copy the new BBB nif's trishapes to the naked body, they're misaligned (like some offset happened).

Any idea of how to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I decided to just copy all the bone weights and that gave me close to no clipping with no seams. Thanks.

Without seeing the nifs, it's tough to say. It sounds like a skeleton incompatibility issue.

Try the latest version of Mesh Rigger: Mesh Rigger b_78.7z

Let me know it does.

The tool should be able to compensate for incompatible skeletons and merge them, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes the best approach is to just completely re-rig the nif.

hi gerra6,

i'm back with another set of meshes that is giving me difficulty with mesh rigger.  i wanted to clean the mesh since it gives errors in nifscope and seems to sometimes cause ctd in game.

however, i tried both beta 46 and latest mesh rigger and both seem to have trouble reading the files.

from the log.

Warning, unable to parse C:\temp4\top_1.nif
C:\temp4\top_1.nif Could Not Be Processed

thanks for your help.

temp4.7z

i'm back with another set of meshes that is giving me difficulty with mesh rigger.  i wanted to clean the mesh since it gives errors in nifscope and seems to sometimes cause ctd in game.

Unfortunately that nif appears to have a corrupted data block that prevents my tools from processing it.

Essentially, whatever is causing Nifskope to give errors also leaves my tools unable to parse the nif.

Unfortunately that nif appears to have a corrupted data block that prevents my tools from processing it.

Essentially, whatever is causing Nifskope to give errors also leaves my tools unable to parse the nif.

Gosh why are nifs so problematic. biggest headache in modding for me is nif meshes.

It's ether downloaded or saved/exported nifs have issues like corrupted data, bad bones, ect or converting armor becomes very hard to morph it properly. I need to learn 3DS Max or Blender, and stop relying on bodyslide.

Which would you recommend, blender or 3ds? and what version?

And any good guides you'd recommend?

Well, for meshes with bad bones, Mesh Rigger can generally sort it out. Bad bones comes up most often when you're working with a composite nif that contains different meshes that were originally skinned with different, incompatible skeletons.

At this point, Mesh Rigger should be able to sort through the bone mess and fix the incompatible skinning on the different nifs.

As far as 3d Modeling goes, I mostly worked with Blender 2.49b. It's pretty old and out of date, but it's the version that we had a Nif importer for.

*Hopefully*

The tool should be able to handle a mesh with no skeleton (other than a scene root), no skinning, no dismemberment partitions, etc and automatically copy the needed bones, weights, partitions, etc from a template (a mesh with a similar body style).

It won't touch any material or rendering properties.  It also might not play nice with meatcaps.  I should confess, I've mostly tested the tool on Oblivion and Skyrim nifs.  My Fallout/FNV specific testing has been fairly light.

Please, try it out, report any bugs, and I'll see what I can figure out.

It depends a bit on the mesh, but not really.

Although you can set the tool loose on an entire directory tree...that can take awhile.

Let me know if anything crashes.  I have a version of Mesh Rigger that uses my latest framework (from the Clothing Converter thread) and should be a bit more stable that I can post if need be.

Mesh Rigger v.0.81

This experimental update incorporates many of the modifications made to the Back-End Framework that were made as part of the Clothing Converter project.

Download:

Portable Package 0.81 (All In One): Mesh Rigger b_81.7z
Light Download 81_a (scripts only. Recommended if you intend to use 64 Bit version of Python): Mesh Rigger b_81 Light.7z

ChangeLog

v.0.46 to v.0.81.a

1. Vertex nearest neighbor search has been replaced by a nearest surface search.  This provides a significant improvement to the quality of copied weightpainting.
2. Multiple updates, bugfixes, and changes to the back-end framework.  Full Change Log coming soon

Nope.

I'd probably go looking for an m3 importer for Blender (I think there's one for 2.5x it may work for later versions), import it into the appropriate version of Blender, export it as an obj file, import that obj file into 2.49b, adjust the obj file to have the correct dimensions and orientation for a nif, and then export it as a nif.

Not exactly a simple process.

Nope.

I'd probably go looking for an m3 importer for Blender (I think there's one for 2.5x it may work for later versions), import it into the appropriate version of Blender, export it as an obj file, import that obj file into 2.49b, adjust the obj file to have the correct dimensions and orientation for a nif, and then export it as a nif.

Not exactly a simple process.

I was thinking I may have to do this... :/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is an absolute miracle tool.  My experience with it so far hasn't been flawless and I'm still working on it, but only a few hours (mostly reading) into a project that I thought might be out of my reach or at least extremely time consuming, suddenly feels like a matter of simply working out a few minor kinks.

I'm trying to add TBBP compatibility to a long-abandoned favorite of mine, the Rebirth Body.  On my first try I selected the whole Rebirth Body folder, which included some 1stperson .nifs.  When I used the output as a replacer, the NPC had a very large gap at the neck, and was missing her hands and feet.  The breasts also had some subtle weird "kinks", but I suspect that was because I selected only the BBB bones from the template (a CBBE Slim-type that I output from BodySlide).

After that I had a few crashes whose cause was not obvious to me, but after playing around with options -- including the option to choose bones, and making sure to pick a template skeleton (I chose the XPMS Extended skeleton) -- I got things to work.

Once I got it to work things went much better.  Instead of the whole folder I only selected the torso and not the hands or feet.  I used the option to delete weights from the target, and I also selected the option to pick which bones I wanted, but I selected all of them when it prompted me.  I put it together with the hands and feet that came with the body, and the resulting NPC body looked pretty much perfect as far as shape goes.  Best of all, the weighting with the HDT physics was stellar.  My only problem at this point is that I have some seams on the butt and torso, around the groin, a gap at the side of the neck, and tiny seams down the forearm and overlap on the front of the neck.

I'm not sure where the problem is -- whether the Rebirth body is just too different from CBBE, or if maybe I shouldn't be using BodySlide output as a template, or maybe it's just an option I should be setting differently on your tool.

Any ideas?

(BTW I was using b46)

PS: In case this is informative, the output window generated a number of errors that said "improper rotation matrix (error is 0.######)" while it was "Generating Bone Dictionary".  I'm unsure if this has anything to do with the problem but I thought it might be relevant :)