RTD: Souls and Swords

[Have Tyr and Ryn armed up? It's not necessarily a de-facto thing]

Tyr

Roll = 3

Ryn

Roll = 5

---

Ryn gets to his feet and sends forth a tendril of power, searching for his allies. [5] In retrospect, doing so might have been the act of a paranoiac, but it never quite hurts to be safe. He explores the inn, though the presence of the ruby ring - and its dark power - interferes with his senses somewhat. Sophitia's electric yellow presence and Tyr's gray one are still in the area, as is Cassandra's - though there is something strange about hers. The innkeeper appears to be up and about, while the hall downstairs appears to be filled with bustle and chatter - no doubt regulars gathered for breakfast and to discuss the queer events of the previous night.

Tyr, too, is up and about, and well-rested. Long months on the campaign trail have made soft beddings unnecessary for one such as him, but the lack of necessity does not mean that it is unappreciated. He heads out of the door and finds Cassandra in the hall.

"Good morning," she says cheerily. She does not look as though she is having a good one - Tyr detects the faintest hint of dark circles around her eyes, a sure sign of a lack of sleep. "My sister's still asleep, as is Lysander."

"Is there any business we need to take care of today?" Tyr asks. At 9 of the clock it might be a simple matter to pawn off the goods they've acquired, or find a collector with a fat purse.

She nods. "I think we'll be able to sell off our excess gear now, although I think some breakfast might be in order, first."

"And what then?" asks the mercenary. "Is our plan to make leave of this place still in the works, or has the plan been altered overnight?"

"We might have to consult Sophitia about that," Cassandra says. "Although I think she'll be glad to be quit of this city for now. Earlier this morning I heard some travelers talking about lizardman and bandit attacks, and also someone talking about needing guards for a merchant caravan to Venice - that's a journey of half a week or so. It would be a good cover story for us leaving Genoa, assuming the authorities haven't noticed us yet."

Cassandra stretches languorously and yawns. "I'm going to go downstairs and ask around. Are you coming with me, or do you have other plans?"

Kurojin

Roll = 4, 1 [critical failure]

---

Kurojin draws his cloak tightly around himself and proceeds down to the village, the sun's rays rapidly heating his body. His wounds appear to be properly holding, even with his haphazard first aid attempts the previous day, but the pain is still present - a dull, numb ache that never ceases to remind him that he had recently been torn open by a weapon.

As he nears the village, it becomes apparent that something terrible has happened here. The smoke trails he noticed earlier are in fact emitting from the burning roofs of cottages. Animalistic howls and the screams of the villagers can be heard at this distance. It appears the lizardman bandits have come to play. [4] From this distance he can see that one lizardman is at the center of the carnage. He has great feathered wings and brandishes two battle-axes. He is busy setting fire to some poor soul while his band of lizardmen watches, hooting in glee.

[1] Kurojin's cloak snags on a branch and pulls free, exposing his true nature to the world... although it would appear that nothing is around to see him. But suddenly he realizes just how exposed he is.

A guttural roar catches his attention. A hulking lizard-man has spotted him. It drops what appears to be the remains of a small child and makes its way towards him.

The shard suddenly flares up in heat and color, warming Kurojin through its cloth wrapping. "I HOPE YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO TRY AND PREACH TO THIS ONE, TOO, DRAGON-LORD. HE DOES NOT LOOK MUCH LIKE ONE FOR CONVERSATION."

[below content takes place during the time period of my previous action]

"Ahh" I stretch out of the bed, the sheets slipping off of my gloriously nude body. I Stretch out, enjoying the limberness and light-footed feeling of being without my armor after wearing all of the previous day. I then proceed to take the time to re-don my armor and sword. Well, time to go find Ryn and the rest, and see what business we need to take care of today. I should also see if our plan to make leave of this place is still in the works, or if the plan has been altered overnight.

[End of altered post]

I shall gladly accompany Cassandra downstairs. Offhandedly I wonder what Ryn is up to. Probably being paranoid and using his powers for some mundane activity like checking up on the rest of us.(;))

(ooc: I took the pleasure of writing Kuroshu's response)

I preach at the lizard-man

[LMAO, wow totally got me there. I was going to steal the Raimo guy's pants... but I didn't... stupid me. I do hope this lizard is friendly.]

"If only they can understand reason," I say to the voice jokingly, "yet I think this is not the case."

I ready my swords to counter the lizardman if he tries to attack, while slowly moving away from the other lizardmen's view.

I proceed to seek out Tyr and Cassandra, noticing that they have united through the lingering vision granted by my power. "Well, may as well check what's going on," I comment to myself before exiting my room. It appears as though both of them are still in the hall, just about to leave. I decide to join in their conversation and descend the stairs with them.

Tyr

No roll

Ryn

No roll

---

"I shall gladly accompany you downstairs," says the mercenary. He wonders what the Paladin is up to, though given what he's seen of the good knight, he's probably laying in bed and sending tendrils of divine energy to probe every crack of the inn.

Not that that's a bad thing, no sir!

Ryn pokes his head out through his door and rejoins Tyr and Cassandra. Seeing that they are about to leave, he joins them. "Good morning!" says Cassandra. "We were just about to head down."

Downstairs, the tavern is bustling with business. A number of members of the night's watch, looking rather disgruntled and soot-stained, occupy the tables, clustered around a big man who wears a captain's cape, with the Lombard Cross of San Giorgo - a red cross on a white field - emblazoned on the back. From his body language he looks to be in a rather sour mood.

The innkeeper's son and what looks to be his mother are rushing around the inn, serving hungry customers. The innkeeper appears to be beckoning to a table where a hot breakfast has been set for Tyr, Ryn, Cassandra, and Sophitia.

Although it is early in the day, as is inevitable in all taverns a mysterious stranger in a dark hooded cloak is sitting in a corner, smoking a pipe. There is also the standard complement of off-duty day guards, a few hard men in leather armor who look to be mercenaries, and a salty-looking woman with a pair of pistols hanging at her belt.

"You'd think there was never a fire here," says Cassandra in hushed tones. Where did all these people come from?"

Kurojin

No roll

---

Kurojin paces away slowly, swords drawn - though the weight of his fire-warped sword is noticeably off balance compared to his other one. The quick action he took on the mountaintop definitely saved his life, so perhaps a single blade is not so large a price to pay. Though it is definitely going to be ineffectual in combat.

As the lizardman draws closer, it halts. "SKREE?" it inquires, sniffing the air curiously. It seems to be looking at Kurojin's exposed wings and horns; clearly this one - though seemingly soft like a human - has traits in common with his rough kind.

"ODD. OR PERHAPS NOT SO ODD." says the shard. "YOU ONLY RESEMBLE THEM SUPERFICIALLY, DRAGON LORD, BUT ENOUGH TO GIVE IT PAUSE. SEIZE THE ADVANTAGE. STRIKE OFF HIS HEAD!"

"SKREE!" hollers the lizardman, clearly getting agitated. It licks blood off its chops and cocks its head to one side. Now that Kurojin has gotten a better look at it, it becomes clear that it is not entirely unintelligent - it is wearing crude hide and metal armor on its chest, and wields a primitive but wicked looking axe in the other. "SKREEEEEEEE!"

It's also making a godawful racket.

I dashed forward and sliced it's head off

"I believe 'tis not the best choice of action..." I say to the voice, "but 'tis village needs it's revenge."

I turn to look if the racket has attracted the rest of the lizard men.

[Just how many are there?]

Tyr

Roll = 6, 3

Ryn

Roll = 3, 4

---

The innkeeper has clearly been cutting corners, having regained his business savvy over the night. The meal is hot, but unseasoned, and the beer is very clearly watered down and has flecks of heaven knows what in it. Possibly beard stubble, possibly dirt, and possibly even those tiny animals the doctors are always talking about that cause disease and madness.

[6, 3] As Ryn and Tyr fall to, they overhear snippets of conversation from the table occupied by members of the Guard. The big Captain appears to be berating his Guardsmen - who look short on sleep and rather cantankerous. In what can only be described as "a very quiet yell", he seems to be chewing out his men for something.

[3, 4] A few minutes pass. It becomes clear that the reason for the Captain's anger is the fire the previous night. Several shields and weapons, he says, have been found, and the corpses that were left at the burned mansion of Lord Sorel should have been a big enough clue for the searchers. Shields similar in nature to those left on a few of the corpses, he reasons, are very rare in Genoa, and since Genoa itself isn't on campaign it should be easy enough to find warriors bearing similar shields.

"For example," roars the Captain, "take that fellow over there!"

He points a finger directly at Tyr. "Why, that shield he's wearing on his back looks exactly like one of the shields on those unknown warriors at the Sorel house! All you have to do is find shields like those, and you've found the culprits!"

Uh oh.

"Erm, Captain Lorenzo?" says one of the Guardsmen, a youngish looking woman in the Lombard chain and surcoat. "That shield."

"Yes, Domenica?" the Captain barks.

She stutters. "It's just that..."

"Spit it out, young woman!" says the Captain. "I haven't all day!"

"It is almost exactly like the ones at the manor," she says. "Down to that Grecian letter on its boss."

The Captain turns slowly and eyeballs Tyr from head to toe. He downs his mug of beer, wipes the suds off his mouth with the back of his hand, and gets to his feet. "So it is," he says loudly. "So it is!"

He gestures to the Guardsmen to follow him. The two men groan audibly, while the woman visibly shrugs and rolls her eyes. They get to their feet as well and form up reluctantly behind Captain Lorenzo.

"You!" says the Captain. "You there, I say, the fellow with the gaudy shield! The one with the lady and that Wolfkroner!"

He seems to have taken Ryn's bearing of a Wolfkrone shield as marker of his allegiance. Perhaps this can be spun to their advantage?

"Sir," says the Captain, putting his hand on his sword. "I demand to know how you came by that shield! It is a matter of great import!"

Cassandra looks to Ryn and Tyr. This might be trouble.

Kurojin

Roll = 2, 4

---

Sword at the ready, Kurojin heed's the shard's advice and swings quickly, attempting to kill this strange creature before it can warn its comrades. [2] The steely edge arcs toward's the creature's mottled throat, but it ducks at the last second, and with the rage of the lizardman people in its eyes, it hollers an ululating battle cry.

[4] Kurojin looks to the the crowd of hooting lizardmen and their leader in the village. None of them have noticed, but now that the creature is forewarned, it doesn't look as though he'll get a second chance. The creature advances towards him and hollers again, brandishing its deadly axe.

"IT WAS WORTH A TRY," says the shard, with the hint of a sneer in its grating mind-voice. "SHOW THIS PRIMITIVE SAVAGE REAL STEEL, AND TEACH HIM THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DRAGONS AND LIZARDS."

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE:

Kurojin = 6

Lizardman = 1

Turn Order

1. Kurojin

2. Bobo the Lizardman

"Of course good captain" I say calmly, standing up on my feet, and my eyes meeting his. "I acquired it from the slain corpse of a warrior, near the Lord Sorel's mansion. I saw need to acquire a new shield, as my previous had been damaged moments before while I and my compatriots were slaying a group of fiends who made an attempt upon our lives." I pause, a look of faux complexion on my face, "That makes, hmm, how many foes that we have dispatched since we met, Ryn? And to think, we've yet to find a real challenge."

(Wolfkroner? How could that be used to our advantage? Oh well - If Tyr's using intimidation, I may as well try the opposite approach. Maybe the mix might work.)

I sigh as I move to stand up. From the sound of it, it almost seems as though Tyr is trying to provoke the guards unnecessarily. Attempting to talk our way out of a possible fight, I speak as well. "Sir, I apologize for my companion's unjust anger. We have had a long night and have just awoken. I suppose with the way you were talking, he decided to play along - However, what he says is true. We were attacked by some ruffians last night. Perhaps the same ones that burned the Lord's mansion. Tyr's shield was claimed as a battle trophy."

[if you meet anyone from wolfkrone, of course]

Tyr

Roll = 4

Ryn

Roll = 5

---

"Of course, good captain," says Tyr in reply to Captain Lorenzo's demand. He stands, drawing himself up to his full height. "I acquired it from the slain corpse of a warrior, near the Lord Sorel's mansion. I saw need to acquire a new shield, as my previous had been damaged moments before while I and my compatriots were slaying a group of fiends who made an attempt upon our lives."

The mercenary pauses, a look of faux complexion on his face, and turns to Ryn, "That makes, hmm, how many foes that we have dispatched since we met, Ryn? And to think, we've yet to find a real challenge."

[4] The Captain's mustache veritably bristles and his face goes red. "Sir, I would appreciate it greatly if we were to take a walk out behind the inn, to continue this conversation."

The young lady beside him pipes up. "Erm, sir, I'd really prefer it if we weren't to get into any... conversations so early in the day."

One of the guardsmen nods fervently. "Seeing as we haven't had breakfast yet, and my wine's cooling right quick, sir, maybe we could delay the... conversation? This man's not bothering no one, sir, and he looks very... talkative."

The Captain gives his men a look of disgust. "In my day, a good private talk was just the thing for an empty stomach! Loosens the limbs, sharpens the mind! I've had good conversations with plenty of people over the years, though they weren't up for a second one any time after that." He lays his hand meaningfully on his weapon, a simple but efficient looking arming sword.

Ryn gets to his feet, hoping to forestall a possible fight. ""Sir, I apologize for my companion's unjust anger. We have had a long night and have just awoken. I suppose with the way you were talking, he decided to play along - However, what he says is true. We were attacked by some ruffians last night. Perhaps the same ones that burned the Lord's mansion. Tyr's shield was claimed as a battle trophy."

"Ruffians?" says Captain Lorenzo, twirling his mustache. He glares fiercely at Cassandra. "And this one had no part of it, to be sure?"

She smiles her most winning smile. "I'm a merchant's daughter, sir, visiting Genoa to see my family. My sister is upstairs. Sadly, my dear brother was waylaid by those bandits the other night, and lost his hand. Thankfully these two were there to give us aid."

"See sir?" says Domenica. "He took that shield off one of the vagrants responsible for the burning of Lord Sorel's mansion. I really don't think there's any need for... conversation outside."

The Captain harrumphs loudly. "Very well, then. I would still like to have a look-see about you people; this hardly sits right with me. If you saw the bandits responsible for the burning of the Lord Sorel's mansion, then you can aid our investigation. Come to the Constabulary at five of the clock this evening. Good day to you!"

Captain Lorenzo stomps out of the tavern in high dudgeon, tromping off into the street. The various occupants of the tavern watch his progress - some of them with a wary hand on their sword belts - and then return to their business.

The guardsmen wait until he is out of sight from the window. The young lady, Domenica, turns back to Tyr. "Listen - just between the three of you and us three, what did happen last night? You had to have been near the mansion to get one of those shields."

She smiles slyly. "Don't worry - we're not looking for 'conversation', just answers. I'm personally hoping Lord Sorel is dead and gone in that pile of rubble."

"Aye," says one of the guardsmen. "A right terror, he was. The Captain won't believe none of it, says it's all fishwifery and rumor, but I seen him at night, stalking the streets and preying on all what get in his way. We're just lucky we never ran into him on a patrol, otherwise-" the guardsman draws his thumb across his throat. His meaning is clear.

COMBAT!

Kurojin:Called attack - Lower Torso

Attack: 4 - 1 (called attack) = 3

Defense: 2 [hit!]

Damage: [cosmetic damage]

Kurojin dashes at the lizardman, bringing his undamaged sword around in a vicious sweep at the creature's stomach. The attack whiffs, however, tracing a gash in the lizardman's armor but dealing no other damage. The lizardman howls and winds up for an attack.

Bobo the Lizardman: Strike this winged fellow down with your axe!

Attack: 1

Defense: 5 [parry!]

Hooting wildly, Bobo brings his axe around for a for a strike of his own - but the winged dragon man parries the blow neatly with his badly pitted and corroded sword, notching the blade and sending sparks flying. Bobo staggers, leaving him open for a counter!

Attack: 2

Defense: 2 [hit!]

Damage: 3 [injured]

Roll to stay conscious: 2 [failure!]

Kurojin raises his sword and tags the lizardman with a ringing blow to the skull, striking him mainly with the flat. Stunned, the lizardman falls to the ground, unconscious.

---

The lizardman lies facedown in the dirt, blood seeping from a wound in his skull. The capering and hooting of his band can be heard from where Kurojin is standing, but they are still focused on their looting and have yet to notice him.