RTD: Souls and Swords

As I glance at my battered equipment, it has served me well, but alas, it is indeed time to either seek repairs or purchase some new equipment. As I begin to wonder as to where the best shop would be to perhaps browse their fine selection of wares to purchase new equipment, the scent of ash overwhelming my nostrils reminds me that this place is on fire and we need to get out now!

The fire spreads quickly, and there is much to do.

"Ryn, can you do anything for the woman?"

Hoping she is still conscious and can understand me. "Listen, we do not have the luxury of time any longer. The fate of your ally must be decided now. Strike him down, let him burn, or attempt to save him, if you think there is time."

I quickly check to see how bad the fire has spread, and if there is more than one possible escape route.

I kneel over Cassandra's body, calmly assessing her condition. "Her breathing is shallow... It'll be a bit of a gamble to see if I can save her." Using my healing arts, I focus my power into sealing Cassandra's wound, hopefully at least stopping her from dying until we can safely tend to her later.

[[i've changed the formatting of actions, so it makes more sense when I type out what happened. Basically your actions and the rolls thereof are posted first, without their effect, then the "whole situation" paragraph. Does it, indeed, make more sense?]]

_________

Tyr

Roll = 4, 2

Ryn

Roll = 5, 4

---

Ryn makes his way to Cassandra and leans over her, assessing her condition. [5] The sword thrust that incapacitated her missed her spine, but exited low. Her internal organs are probably damaged, even with a weapon as narrow as Lord Sorel's rapier, but the only reason she fell over was likely the shock of the attack and the pain.

The fight over, Tyr gives his battered shield a baleful glance, and absentmindedly wonders where he might be able to find replacements. [4] While none of the fallen fighters carried a shield, perhaps Adrastos might have had one if he is indeed one of that Sophitia woman's Holy Warriors. However a good shield is hard to find, especially as they are made to order. One would first have to find a skilled craftsman, and then pay him to produce a shield - which might take a few days of work. Alternately one might find an old family shield somewhere. The Sorel house might have one.

However these musings take time - and the acrid stench of smoke reminds him that, yes, the building is probably burning down. "Ryn," he says to his comrade. "Is there anything you can do for the woman?"

"It'll be a bit of a gamble to see if I can save her," the Paladin says. He summons his healing arts, plying the holy power taught him by the Masters. [4] His hand charged with holy energy, he lays it on the wound. The power pours out and seals the wound, repairing the damage and sending healing power coursing through the young woman's veins. She fairly jolts upright with shock. "What happened?" she says. "Are these... are these Lord Sorel's men? The attack at the mansion must have failed! Gods, my sister, I have to-"

Tyr leans over her. "Listen, we do not have the luxury of time any longer," he says sharply. "The fate of your ally must be decided now. Strike him down, let him burn, or attempt to save him, if you think there is time."

As she starts, he quickly checks for escape routes. [3] There is a window in the inn room that leads up to the street, but it is far too small for anyone but Cassandra to exit through. The flames in the hall block the exit, but someone moving fast enough may be able to make it to the stairway without taking any harm... though it will be difficult.

Tyr returns to the room to find Cassandra kneeling by the diseased man, Adrastos', bed. "I'm sorry," she says. "I don't think I can save you. Sophitia could have, but she's not here."

She stands and turns away. "Please end it. I don't think I'll be able to do it myself. Paladin... Ryn. If you strike the shard with enough holy power, you might purify him. If you don't, at least his soul will be free."

Tyr mentions that, yes, it would be nice if you could do this quickly. Make it fast, though. Because. The inn. Is on. FIRE.

_________

Kurojin

Roll = 6, 2

---

The fight is over, but Kurojin's struggle is just beginning. Firstly, there's the horrid wounds the dark skinned man left him as a parting gift (along with his lower half, of course, which could very well hold something worth the time). The damage to his arms will not be doing him any favors, but it's the gut wound that is the most pressing.

Thinking quickly, Kurojin takes his sword and bathes it with his flaming breath. [6] He overdoes the heat a little. The sword glows cherry-red and deforms slightly, but it is now hot enough for his purposes. He presses the heated blade to his wound and attempts to sear it shut.

[2] The wound heals, if only barely, leaving him still wounded, but at least capable of withstanding a week or so without aid. He will bear a hideous scar for the rest of his days, however.

"I will not die here," he growls.

And for the moment, it looks as though he will not. Flying with these wounds might be a bad idea, but as of right now, in this ruin up in the mountains with only a bunch of corpses and some random stranger's legs to keep him company, it is probably a good option.

The crystal shard shimmers, and a voice seems to speak in his head.

"THE WIZARD SPOKE TRULY, DRAGON LORD. TAKE ME WITH YOU. I AM POWER. I AM GLORY. I AM THE RESTORATION OF YOUR CLAN AND YOUR HOMELAND."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. I CAN HEAL YOUR WOUNDS. I CAN MAKE YOU THE GREATEST DRAGON LORD THAT EVER LIVED."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. I HAVE MADE GODS OF LESSER MEN THAN YOU."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH BUT A FRAGMENT A MAN NAMED CERVANTES CREATED A GREAT PIRATE EMPIRE. WITH MY TRUE SELF HE COULD HAVE RULED THE WORLD."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH BUT A FRAGMENT A BOY NAMED SIEGFRIED WON WARS OF HIS OWN ACCORD. WITH MY TRUE SELF HE COULD HAVE RULED THE WORLD."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH BUT A FRAGMENT A MAN NAMED MITSURUGI WON EVERY BATTLE. WITH MY TRUE SELF HE COULD HAVE RULED THE WORLD."

"TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH BUT A FRAGMENT THE HERO KING ALGOL SHATTERED NATIONS. WITH MY TRUE SELF HE RULED THE WORLD."

"YOU WORRY THAT MY WILL COULD OVERCOME YOURS. DO NOT FEAR. YOURS IS THE STRONGEST WILL I HAVE EVER SENSED. YOU COULD MASTER ME EASILY. TAKE ME WITH YOU, DRAGON LORD. WITH MY TRUE SELF YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD."

It is a grating, harsh voice. Can you trust such a voice?

_________

[[also I'm wondering where Ryn and Tyr hail from]]

I question the voice before I decide what to do

"Do you take me for a fool?" I ask the voice, "If you truly speak the truth about your power then there must be an exchange."

"For this poor fellow it seemed he lost himself. Now If I take you what would I lose?"

"You also say I could rule the world, yet I do not desire such a thing, what would you do then?"

[[Good question... Where did they come from...]]

I can only wait and see what the results are of Ryn's efforts with Adrastos, unless he calls for my aid. In the mean time, I take the captains jack coat, and attempt to lessen the flames licking in the hallway.

(ooc: hmm, I must admit, I started this of thinking we would be adventuring in a fantasy setting, or in other words "Totally not England." Hmm, perhaps he originates from Germanic fiefdoms?)

(Also, just realized that Raphael is totally the guy I played when at a friends when he wanted to play Soul Calibur IV ... Awkward.)

[[There are different grades of fantasy setting, of course. There's High Fantasy like Star Wars and Historical Fantasy like Jonathan Strange. This is more Historical Fantasy with vidya fluff thrown in. Fantasy! It's all over the place. :P

Holy Roman Empire is somewhat "Germanic fiefdom-ish", to be honest, since Germany, along with much of Europe, was part of it around the 16th century]]

While I would much rather carry the man out of the building and take my time assessing the situation, as Tyr keeps pointing out, we are rather pressed for time. Focusing my power into a single strike, I bring my sword down upon the shard, seeking to purify the shard and spare the man if possible.

(I actually usually play as Raphael or Amy... Or characters using their style. I like rapier stances and find the characters somewhat easy to use. Alternatively, Amy's rather attractive. ¬_¬

Hmm... Where Ryn hails from? Perhaps the Paladin Order is based upon some island in the Mediterranean ocean accessible only by ship? Not officially part of any specific country, but large enough to act as its own.)

[[Hah' date= you know what I mean, just the general DnD setting. Still, no complaints about this version. Roman Empire eh? Thought this was a little latter than that. But yeah that works.]]

((How about a Holy Roman Empire Remnant? Should make more sense... Or you could say your from Constantinople...))

((OOC: I actually usually play as Raphael or Amy... Or characters using their style. I like rapier stances and find the characters somewhat easy to use. Alternatively' date=' Amy's rather attractive. ¬_¬

Hmm... Where Ryn hails from? Perhaps the Paladin Order is based upon some island in the Mediterranean ocean accessible only by ship? Not officially part of any specific country, but large enough to act as its own.))

[/quote']

((I Usually play as Taki/Kilik/Mitsurugi Or characters I made using their styles.

Again Either a Remnant or from Constantinople.))

((@Dragon: Right now I wonder what the amulet is for... You know the one given to me by Sophitia?))

[[Holy Roman Empire is the huge European empire ruled by the Holy Roman Emperor and (technically) the Pope. As many have said, the HRE is neither Holy nor Roman :P

Basically the Holy Roman Empire was THE Empire; successor to the Romans, contender with the Ottoman Empire. It didn't die until 1807 or 1808. That's one hell of an Empire.

The Capital of the HRE is Regensburg, in the Kingdom of Germany - the King's City.

@Kuroshu: You dunno what the amulet does. You'll have to find out. >:) ]]

---

Tyr

Roll = 6, 1, 4

Ryn

Roll = 2, 6, 5

---

"I will try and stem the blaze," says Tyr, as Ryn moves to attempt to purify Adrastos. [6] He loosens' Captain Stavros' jack coat, the chains attached along each sleeve jangling. This heavy leather armor should help reduce the fire at least a little, even if it does stink of blood and other, fouler things.

Heading into the hall, Tyr attempts to smother out the fire by smacking the afflicted areas with the coat. [1] Somehow the coat manages to pick up the lamp oil residue and catches ablaze. Whoever made this jack coat didn't know half the things he should have about making armor or tanning hide. [4] Tyr flings the jack coat away, preventing the flaming coat from harming him, and it lands in the center of the blaze, where it succeeds in smothering out a patch of flame.

Ryn stands beside the bed and grasps the hilt of his longsword tightly. There is no time. Sometimes even the most fervent desire to do good is no match for the reality of a situation, and this is one such case. The woman who could teach you the proper way is not here, and given Lord Sorel's visit just a few minutes ago, could be lying dead in the street this very moment. Her sister has less divine power than the newest initiate. It is up to him.

[2] His sword charged with the divine light, Ryn brings his longsword down on the crystal shard, shattering it into splinters. [R: 4, C: 2] Adrastos is free. Adrastos is also dead, but the point is that he's free.

"The flames are subsiding!" shouts Tyr from the hallway.

Cassandra gets to her feet and lays a hand on Adrastos' forehead. Ryn can't tell if she's crying or not. She turns to him. "Let's get out of here. I have to know if my sister is still alive!" She makes her way into the hallway [3] and neatly hops over the flames, heading for the street. Tyr follows her.

Ryn quickly attempts to loot the corpses, [6], taking Solhofen's greaves, breastplate, and bracers, as well as his sword and Auguste's rapier. Thus encumbered, he manages to run out to the hall and attempts to clear the flames.

[5 - 2 = 3] Though he has some difficulty, he makes it through the fire unscathed. He joins Tyr and Cassandra out on the street and dumps the gear he has neatly acquired.

Cassandra is looking down the street in the direction of Lord Sorel's mansion. A pillar of smoke is rising into the night sky. "The mansion is on fire," she says. "They can't possibly be alive, but... I have to know."

She turns to Tyr and Ryn. "Will you come with me? Lord Sorel could be anywhere by now, but my sister might still be alive."

_________

Kurojin

"Do you take me for a fool?" Kurojin asks the voice in his head. "If you truly speak the truth about your power then there must be an exchange."

"YOU ARE WISE, DRAGON LORD. WISER EVEN THAN YOUR GREAT DRAGON FOREBEARS. ASK ME YOUR QUESTIONS. I DO NOT LIE."

"For this poor fellow it seemed he lost himself. Now If I take you what would I lose?" asks the dragon man.

The voice seems to laugh, if such a strange being could understand laughter. "THAT 'POOR FELLOW' WAS WEAK. UNWORTHY. MY POWER DROVE HIM MAD. THE POWER TO RULE THE WORLD DESTROYED HIS MIND. HE SLEW HIS FAMILY. HE BURNED HIS HOME. HE DIED IN AGONY. BECAUSE HE WAS WEAK. YOU ARE NOT WEAK, DRAGON LORD. YOUR WILL IS INDOMITABLE. YOUR HEART IS STRONG. YOUR POWERS ARE GREAT. TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH MY TRUE SELF YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD."

Kurojin makes a noise of doubt. "You also say I could rule the world, yet I do not desire such a thing, what would you do then?"

"YOU WILL DO AS YOU PLEASE, AND I WILL SERVE YOU. THE POWER TO RULE THE WORLD IS THE POWER TO DO ANY THING. THE POWER TO RULE THE WORLD IS THE POWER TO CAST DOWN THE STARS AND TO RAISE THEM UP. YOU WILL KNOW THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH. YOU WILL KNOW WHO GATHERED THE WATERS AND SHUT THEM UP IN VAULTS, AND WHERE LIES THE KEY. YOU WILL BE AS THE STORM IS TO THE FISHERMAN, AS THE FLOOD TO THE FARMER, AS WAR TO THE KNIGHT, WEALTH TO THE MERCHANT, POWER TO THE KING. TAKE ME WITH YOU. WITH MY TRUE SELF YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD - OR DO OTHERWISE AS YOU WISH."

"WHEN YOU HAVE POWER ALL THAT IS LESSER FALLS TO NAUGHT. WHEN YOU HAVE MY POWER ALL IS LESSER TO YOU."

_________

[[i also just revamped your inventory/stats page. Kuroshu, you should probably have Kurojin find some underwear real soon. ;)

What, retconned appearances can do that sometimes.]]

While we're waiting, I doodled.

2pzad1i.jpg

Fun fact: half the time, when I draw someone they end up doing the air guitar.

vhdkch.jpg

[[LMAO Oh man that's funny I do hope you'll change that pic with one where he's wearing pants. Also where the hell am I gonna get pants?! I don't want to use the dead guys cause when a person dies their muscles relax so the waste in your body (shit and piss) goes out.]]

"Heh," I chuckled weakly, "I did not get into this shape to simply succumb to what I refused to do." I looked at my injuries then looked back at the shard. "I will however take you with me, That is if I survive this ordeal"

I take whatever cloth is left and slid it under the shard then lift the corners and tied then together. I went to great effort to not touch the shard itself.

Looking back at the building I can't help but curse under my breath. My power wasn't strong enough, but soon... I know something like this will happen again, and I must be ready for when the time comes. I can't allow this to stop me.

"Cassandra... I'm sorry," I wrap an arm around her to comfort her briefly before getting back to the matter at hand.

"Tyr, will you stand with us? Sorrel's motives are now known, and I doubt he will stop until we bring this to an end," I turn to look at Tyr. I will be going with Cassandra to find Sophitia.

Pausing to think for a moment, I look at the gear I have cast onto the ground. "Also, is there anywhere we can dump this? Perhaps to store it or sell it? We should gear up for the oncoming battle. If Sorrel holds as much power as I suspect, we're going to need it."

A grim smile comes to me.

"My friend, the good lord Sorel tried to kill us, it is only polite that we return the gesture."

My gaze wanders to the burning mansion, though it is unlikely, I do wonder if there were any survivors.

"If need be, we can return for gear. In the mean time, I believe that we should make haste towards the mansion, and hope that luck is on our side."

Ryn

No roll

Tyr

No roll

---

Ryn lays an arm around Cassandra's shoulders to attempt too offer some comfort for his understandable failure to save the man in the bed, but she shrugs him off. The sounds of the panicking innkeeper and several concerned citizens forming a bucket brigade alert Ryn and Tyr to the fact that, yes, their inn-room brawl will likely have consequences. For one thing, they just left four dead men in an inn. An inn that is also on fire.

Tyr's resolve is set. Though Ryn believes Lord Sorel to be of immense personal power, that is hardly a mitigating factor. An attempt on their life has been made; the favor must be returned in kind. It's bothersome that the Lord Sorel didn't attempt to kill them himself; his air is that of a man with better things to do.

"I will be going with Cassandra, Tyr," says Ryn. "I doubt Sorel will stop unless we bring this to an end."

Tyr's smile is grim. This is clearly work he is accustomed to. "My friend, the good Lord Sorel tried to kill us. It is only polite that we return the gesture."

Ryn looks at the gear he has dumped onto the ground.

Tyr assures him that they can return for gear, but if they are to be successful, hurrying to the mansion would be optimal. The innkeeper, somewhat indignantly, takes the problem off their hands by taking the armor and weapon indoors and stashing them behind his bar.

---

The road is relatively long, but Tyr, Ryn, and Cassandra make it to the mansion at a dead run - at least, where the mansion used to be. The home is a smoldering ruin. On the pass is one of Sophitia's followers. His head appears to have been ripped clear off his shoulders. It's impossible to tell what weapon or force did this.

There might still be survivors, or clues of some kind, with some hint as to where Lord Sorel is headed.

_________

Kurojin

Roll = 4

---

Kurojin's resolve is strong. He resists the crystal shard's advances. After all, he did not get into this shape only to succumb to what he refused to do in the first place.

However, he still plans to take the shard with him. The voice is quiet and appears to be gone, now. He slides the crystal onto a sheet of cloth and ties the ends. [4] The shard does not touch his skin, but it still radiates a rather unsettling heat through the cloth. Whatever this thing is, it's definitely alive.

Now there's just the matter of getting out of this hell hole. A bunch of dead humans and some wizard's lower body make for terrible company. Kurojin's cloak should keep him warm, but not for long. The night is a terrible thing to be caught out in for his kind.

_________

I approach the body of Sophitia's fallen comrade, quickly looking it over for clues that might prove useful (and checking the gear). Anything that we can learn about Lord Sorel could aid us in our plight.

"There don't appear to be enough bodies," I comment aloud, "Where could the others be?"

Tyr

No roll

Ryn

Roll = 4

---

Leaving Cassandra to stare miserably at the mansion's wreck, Ryn approaches the corpse of Sophitia's follower, and checks it for clues as to what might have happened (also, usable gear). [4] On the stump of his neck are two small puncture wounds. His body has been slashed and punctured many times. His killer appears to have used a rapier or saber of some kind, of better quality than Auguste's. The head appears to have been severed, forcefully, after the man was dead.

Slightly more disturbing is the fact that his sword and shield are undamaged in any way. This man appears to have been killed without landing a blow on his opponent, or successfully defending himself. Perhaps had he been wearing any armor he might have survived, but Sophitia's holy warriors, from what Ryn has seen, do not appear to utilize chestplates.

"There don't appear to be enough bodies," he remarks, turning away from the corpse. "Where could the others be?"

Tyr surveys the scene with narrowed eyes. His mind is on tactics. "Cassandra, what was the plan of attack?" he asks the young woman. "That would help us know where to start seraching."

She shakes her head. "My sister never wanted me to be involved in the attack, which must be why she sent me with you. The most I know is that she and two others were to take the front door and attack Lord Sorel in his chambers, while the others waited outside to deal with fleeing foes."

She looks to Ryn. "The missing ones must be inside the mansion or Lord Sorel's thralls by now. That one - I recognize the sword. That's the Sigma sword." she sighs. "Poor Achim."

She begins to move towards the ruins of the mansion, unslinging her shield and unsheathing her sword.

ITEMS:

Σ Sword [Holy, Shortsword] [6/6]

* Hardness 3, +1 attack

Hound Shield [6/6]

* Hardness 3, +1 defense

5 Pistoles

Bloodstained Cloak

Bloodstained Toga

_________

Kurojin

Roll = 3, 6

---

Kurojin rapidly gathers the necessary material to start a fire. [3] The ruin is full of them, and he has an easy time of it that doesn't stress his injured body.

Attempting to control his breath, he lets out a burst of flame to light the fire. [6] He puts too much force into the exhalation, possibly due to his injuries. The gust of flame sets what looks like a bookcase or a table ablaze as well as the meager collection of sticks.

That should keep warm for a while.

The night is chilly, even now, but bearable. An owl soars by and alights on a nearby branch. The ruin is still; there is nothing there but the dead, Kurojin, and his new, talkative shard friend.

"WITHOUT MY POWER YOUR DEATH IN THIS BLEAK PLACE IS ASSURED, DRAGON LORD."

Comforting.

_________

"Sorry, Achim, but I will be taking some of your gear."

I take Achim's cloak, shortsword and shield, pocketing the 5 pistoles in the process.

Now wearing Achim's blood-stained cloak over my armour and toting his former shield and shortsword, I cautiously follow Cassandra.

(EDIT: )

I try to subtly heal Tyr's wounded arm, figuring now might be the last opportunity we get for a while.

(Shortsword + shield, with the stats listed, currently seems like a better choice than two-handed wielding of my longsword, I take it?)

(ooc: ... I wanted that shield dammit. :P For me being a merc and you being a paladin, you sure are the looting type ronin. ;))

(By the way, what was that roll "[R: 4, C: 2]" in post 110?)

Remaining cautious and scanning the surrounding area, I also follow Cassandra further into the ruins.

[[it was a roll to dodge. For what, though? ;) ]]

Ryn

Roll = 3, 1

Tyr

Roll = 5, 4

---

Ryn strips Achim's corpse of his arms, cloak, and money. The Grandmasters of the order might disapprove, but they aren't here at this very moment. He slings the shield on his back and hangs the sword from his belt. Fighting with this much gear, unevenly weighted, might lead to problems, and that cloak isn't helping matters [-1 defense].

Achim's corpse lies there, looking about as disapproving as a headless body can. Cassandra gives Ryn a disappointed look. "The least you could do is leave a warrior the dignity of cover," she says.

She wraps her pendant of Hephaestus around the hilt of her ϝ sword, and it casts its somber light over the bleak scene. "Sophitia!" she cries out. There is no answer.

Tyr follows her, ready for anything, though the poor condition of his own shield and combined with his wounds bothers him. Ryn moves up beside him and lays a hand on his arm. The healing energy causes the injury to repair itself, though the same can't be said for Tyr's damaged chain mail.

Ever cautious, Tyr moves into the hall, scanning the area. [5] The hall's pillars are barely holding up what is left of the roof and second floor. The staircase has collapsed. One of the pillars has been slashed clean through. Another of the holy warriors is embedded headfirst in the burning wreck of the floor. He is a charred ruin, completely unrecognizable. Even his gear is deformed and warped.

The mansion seems entirely absent of life. The door to Lord Sorel's study is flung open, but the bookcases have fallen inside and are on fire with a reddish light. A third man's legs protrude from the debris.

No sign of Sophitia yet.

_______

Kurojin

Roll = 3

---

Kurojin lies near the fire and manages to get into a position that doesn't disadvantage his wounded limbs.

Suddenly, the wind drops.

[3] Every movement of every branch can be heard.

"YOU ARE VULNERABLE OUT HERE, DRAGONLORD," says the shard again. "IF YOU SLEEP, WHO WILL STAND VIGIL? IF YOU REST, WHO IS TO SAY WHETHER YOU WILL WAKE WITH A KNIFE AT YOUR THROAT OR NOT? MEN HAVE KILLED TO POSSESS ME. ACCEPT ME AND YOU WILL BE SAFE FROM YOUR LESSERS."

_________