RTD: Souls and Swords

Tyr

A small smile rises to your lips, "With you or against you? Heh, the black and white world of dogmatic slaves. Where do I stand? Exactly where I did before you spoke. You have submitted forth an interesting premise, but one that hardly affects me. I have done nothing to you, nor this Lord Sorel. Likewise, neither of you have done anything to me. So I stand in neutral ground. And there I stay in regards to you and however many warriors you pull out of the bushes. The only person here I hold in any honor is that of my companion Ryn. I have fought beside him, and he has shown himself to be a person of worth. So, should he hold you in a higher place than I, I perhaps will attempt to be more understanding. Likewise, should he disagree with you, or you make any threat against him, be warned; my blade shall stand with his should it come to that."

You angle your sword at the two women. Sophitia blanches and takes a step back, reaching for her sword. She is clearly not used to resistance of this level. Her sister, however, does not seem fazed. She looks at Ryn and smiles. "What do you think?"

Ryn

"I'm rather curious more than much else at this point," you reply. "How can we truly know which side to trust with so little information backing either side up? How does one recognize these sword shards? What effect do they have on man?"

Roll = 4

As you bombard the younger woman with questions, you surreptitiously slip a hand inside your surcoat and touch the ring. [roll = 3] You attempt to sense sources of power similar to the ring.

There are several nearby. All of them are inside the mansion. The aura the ring emits is remarkably similar to the one you sensed coming from Lord Sorel and his young daughter, and on a smaller scale, much akin to the books in his study.

You know the ring was a tool of some malevolent power - but how is it connected to this Lord Sorel?

---

"We don't have time for this," says Sophitia sadly.

"You have to admit," murmurs another of the holy warriors from behind her. He is a dark haired man with olive skin and a square jaw. "They have good reasons. Here we are, armed to the teeth, asking them to choose sides in a war they didn't even know existed until this very moment. Would you not be suspicious?"

Sophitia looks at him. "Still, we have to move quickly, before Lord Sorel becomes aware that he's under attack."

Her sister lays a hand on her forearm. "Listen, sister. I'll get them out of the way while you attack Lord Sorel." She turns to Ryn and Tyr. "I think I can answer most of your questions, and" she says, nodding at Tyr, "maybe show you a reason or two to choose a side. But you have to come with me. This place is about to get too hot for comfort."

She reaches out her hand to the two of them. "Please come with me?"

It is a plea, not a command. It seems to Ryn and Tyr that this younger woman shows genuine concern for their well-being, despite their having just met her.

_________

Kurojin

Roll = 6

Your great dragon muscles bunch and tense as you root through the debris. The smell of blood and death grows ever stronger, running the risk of driving you - your kind has always been sensitive to horrifying torrents of blood lust - into a berserker rage.

Directly ahead of you appears to be the corpse of a child. The little boy has had a fireplace poker shoved directly through the top of his head. Clearly some fiend or monster has been through here, one with tremendous strength.

Under a bookshelf extends the hand of a man. It is strangely deformed, and the fingernails look more like claws. In his palm is cupped a glowing object, an almost crystalline - but somewhat organic - shard of some material. [roll = 1] It resembles something, but you cannot recall exactly what.

---

Kurojin becomes aware that the dark skinned man from earlier has returned. He now carries a great scythe, which he uses as a staff as he walks towards you through the rubble and debris. You become aware of a strange light in his eyes.

"Your destiny hinges on this moment, dragon lord," says the man. "Clutched in that dead man's palm is power - real power. Take it, and make it a part of your weapon or your body - and you will have the power to take back your homeland. Refuse this chance I give you, and you will be destroyed."

_________

"Destroyed you say?" I questioned the man, "this place seem destroyed does it not?" I lift up the bookshelf to see more of the deformed man "I believe that this power you speak of is the cause of such." I look at the deformed man the n back to the black man. "Would you care to explain this scene to me?"

I return my sword to its scabbard. "To stay and pick a side, or to follow you and learn more," I murmur, almost as if to myself. "Do you think you this group can handle Sorel?"

With so many similar sources of power to the ring emanating from within the mansion, I have become somewhat concerned to let them simply go inside. There is no way a man could be using this power for good, yet I wish to hear Sorel's explanation of events as well - A difficult decision.

I wait to hear Tyr's opinion on whether we should fight or flee.

Ryn

You return my sword to its scabbard, your order's weapon sliding into place with a click. "To stay and pick a side, or to follow you and learn more," you murmur, almost as if to yourself. "Do you think you this group can handle Sorel?"

You catch a flash of doubt in the young woman's eyes, but she averts her gaze. Her sister, Sophitia, looks at you. "We have to try."

You give Tyr a look. "The power I'm sensing from the mansion - no one could possibly use that for good. Yet I want to hear Sorel's explanation of events. What do you think?"

Tyr

You level your stare calmly at the younger of the two women. "Stay your blades against us, and ours will do the same."

The younger woman lets out a visible sigh of relief. "For the time being, we will follow," you say to her. "Lead the way."

You sheathe your sword and make to follow the young woman.

---

As Ryn and Tyr move to follow Sophitia's sister even as she motions for her warriors to follow her. "Please take care of yourself," she says to her sister.

The younger woman gives her a doubtful look. It's clear she thinks their chances against the Lord Sorel, even with so many, are slim. Without a word, she leads you off into the darkness as her sister and her followers move in on the mansion, swords flashing in the pale light of the moon.

She introduces herself to Tyr and Ryn as Cassandra Alexandra. Talk is minimal. As they make their way through the city streets, Tyr inquires where they are going.

"A nearby tavern," she says, and looks at Ryn. "You wanted to see what these shards of the evil sword can do?"

"And how to recognize them, yes," Ryn says.

Perhaps half an hour later, Cassandra turns and knocks on a decorated door. The innkeeper opens the door. "It's you, madam," he says. "Beg pardon, but your friend... he has gotten worse."

"Thank you for telling me," she says. She leads Tyr and Ryn downstairs.

Roll = 5, 3

Ryn gradually becomes aware of a red presence - perhaps an evil presence, as it resembles that emitted by the ring, the Lord Sorel, his daughter, and his books. It is coming from a room at the end of the hall, where they are headed.

Tyr smells something - something disturbing, like blood and death. It's a battlefield smell, mixed with something awful and corrupt. "What is that?" he asks their guide, wrinkling his nose with more than a little distaste.

"You'll see," she says, and pushes the door open. The smell increases until it is almost unbearable. Ryn feels the presence more strongly. Clearly this is an uncontrolled version of the same thing that surrounded their erstwhile host. While he was not able to sense the aura of Lord Sorel without intentionally trying, this one leaks, almost bleeds out into the air, seemingly corrupting the very flow of breath.

The room is darkened, but Tyr and Ryn can clearly make out a bed, in which is huddled a shape covered by a blanket. Clearly a man of some kind. Cassandra unlaces a pendant from around her neck and holds it up: it shines with an electric yellow light and bathes the room in its warm glow.

What lies in the bed is an abomination.

It is, or perhaps was, indeed, a man. But he is chained down, and rage contorts his features. When the light strikes his face he thrashes and moans, straining against the chains while his muscles bulge.

"Adrastos," Cassandra says sadly. "He was one of our best. He was my friend. And now..."

There is a large fragment of a ruby-red stone of some kind embedded in the center of his chest, and it looks as though it is slowly merging with his flesh.

"We were ambushed on our way into the city, a red giant with the strength of ten, twenty men," she continues. "We drove it off, but not before it killed half of us and drove this into Adrastos' chest. A piece of Soul Edge, the evil sword. Men want it for the power it gives; a single fragment inserted into a weapon turns that weapon into a copy of the sword. They become compelled to seek more fragments, gain in power... the sword itself drives them on. It wants to be complete."

She casts a pleading glance at Ryn and Tyr. "Lord Sorel wants it to spread its darkness across the world. We don't know how many fragments he already has, but the few he does have are far too many. Will you help us? There are others like him."

_________

Kurojin

"Destroyed, you say?" you rumble at the man. "This place seems destroyed, does it not?"

Muscles heaving, you use one arm to hoist the bookcase off the dead, deformed man and give him a good look [roll = 3]. The man looks to have been transforming into some kind of hideous avian freak of nature before he collapsed, dead. The majority of the change occurred around the red crystal shard he is holding.

"I believe that this power you speak of is the cause of such," Yyou say, looking from the deformed corpse to the dark skinned man. "Would you care to explain this scene to me?"

---

The dark skinned man sneers, glaring fiercely at Kurojin. "I had taken you for a mere malformed brute like the unfortunate Aeon Calcos, easily manipulated. I was mistaken"

He raises his fearsome scythe. "Your people have come far since I last saw your like, those hundreds of years ago. You can think for yourselves, no longer in thrall to your great cousins. I can admire that. It is a kind of freedom."

The dark skinned man takes another step forward. A fearsome, invisible energy causes the air to crackle around him. "I had hoped to turn you into a servant. But if you will not serve me, then you must die, lizard. Your death is inevitable. Fight!"

The dark skinned man readies to attack you. The ruby shard in the deformed corpse's hand glows, as if in anticipation.

_________

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE:

Zasalamel = 2 + 2 = 4

Kurojin = 6

Turn Order

1. Kurojin

2. Zasalamel

"Is there any way to remove a shard from a person or... Item of some sort?", I inquire, my gaze unwillingly forced upon the shard lodged in the man's chest.

"With such a power it appears as though your group will fair rather poorly in the upcoming battle. However, if there was some means of inhibiting or completely disabling it..."

I draw my blade, it hovers above this abominations neck.

"If there was any way to turn him back you would have done it by now. Surely this monster should be destroyed before it wreaks havoc upon innocent lives, or our own. But he, however, was your ally and your friend. Surely he would prefer someone he trusts and honors to strike him down."

Ryn

"Is there any way to remove a shard from a person or... Item of some sort?", you inquire, your gaze unwillingly fixed upon the shard lodged in the man's chest.

"With such a power it appears as though your group will fair rather poorly in the upcoming battle. However, if there was some means of inhibiting or completely disabling it..."

Cassandra nods. "A weapon possessed by the evil sword can be destroyed, easily. A person is harder. A holy warrior might be able to do it: my sister has purified victims in the past. I can do it too, but it takes far longer..."

"Then why has this Adrastos been left in this state?" you say.

"She is... driven. She'd rather kill any or all who use this power for their own ends first, then help her own followers. She lost her children to this plague, and it's driving her mad," Cassandra says.

Tyr

"Plague?" you say, drawing your sword and letting it hover over the deformed abomination's neck.

"I don't believe that you can turn him back; if you could, you would have done so by now, instead of letting him languish in this state. Surely this monster must be destroyed before it wreaks havoc upon innocent lives, or our own."

She looks at you. "But he was your ally, your friend. Surely he would want someone he trusted and honored to strike him down."

---

"I... I don't know," Cassandra says. "Sophitia said to leave him this way until she came back. We follow her orders."

Ryn frowns, and asks if she can't do it herself. "After all," he says, "regardless of the time it takes any effort would be worthwhile."

"I don't want to risk it," she says. "I might just make it worse."

She takes a seat with her back to the door and sighs.

[roll = 1]

The night air that seeps through the window is perfectly still and calm, and there's nothing that could possibly be going wrong. The attack at the mansion must have gone well, given the quiet that reigns over the night.

_________

COMBAT!

High in the Mountains

Kurojin: called shot at Zasalamel's head

Attack: 4

Defense: 6 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [weapon size difference] = 6 [parry!]

You dash toward the dark skinned man and swing at his head, but faster than you can see, he catches your sword with with the haft of his scythe, notching your sword and cutting his weapon, and shoves it aside, opening you up for a counter!

Attack: 6 + 1 [seen it all]

Defense: 5 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 4 [hit!]

Damage: 3 - 1 [natural armor] = 3 injured

The man brings his scythe around in an unerring strike, but luckily for you you manage to pull out of the way - mostly. The scythe traces a thin red line across your left arm, causing your boiling blood to sprinkle on the ground - where it steams in the mountain air.

Zasalamel: cripple the arrogant dragon man: first strike each of his legs.

[left leg]

Attack: 4 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [called attack] = 4

Defense: 6 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 5 [miss!]

[right leg]

Attack: 5 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [called attack] - 1 [successive attack] = 4

Defense: 1 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 0 [hit!]

Damage: 1 - 1 [natural armor] + 1 [kafziel] = 1

Snarling, the dark skinned man whips his scythe around and at Kurojin making two quick cuts! The first one whirs by the dragon man's left leg, seemingly slicing the air in two as it misses, and the second strikes him successfully in the right leg but bounces off - the dragon lord's scales have served him well.

Blood trickles from Kurojin's injured left arm. "First blood," says the dark skinned man. "You might spare yourself all of this trouble if you would simply submit to me. I have changed my mind: beg me for forgiveness, and I might let you live!"

Turn order:

1. Kurojin

2. Zasalamel

In light of her revelation that it is in fact possible to reverse the process, I stay my blade. For now. The decision of what to do should be hers, not mine.

Though the room we are in reeks a foul unearthly odor, and the beast still rages, my mind does feel slightly taxed. I take a moment to simply calm my mind, just for a moment of mental respite.

"Would it be possible for my powers to remove the stone?", I ask with a hint of nervousness. While the man may still be alive now, if my power is insufficient or I conduct the process improperly, there might be a chance that the man could die - or worse, be completely taken over by the power of the shard.

Tyr

"The process can be reversed? Very well," you say, lowering your sword. You have decided that this man's life lies in the hands of his allies. If they can help him, then they will be the ones to decide his fate.

You attempt to block out the horrendous stench of the room [roll = 5]. As you clear your mind, the smell fades. Clearly it is an entirely mental, or mystical feeling, somewhat akin to the powers employed by Ryn, though perhaps those untrained can sense it just as well - if it is in a source so virulent and putrid as this crystal shard here.

With the metaphysical static generated by the shard fading, you become aware of the noise of... gunfire? Gunfire and swords clashing.

This is not good. You ready yourself. + 1 initiative

Ryn

[roll = 2]

The red presence emanating from the shard wreaks havoc with your Paladin-trained senses, covering your passive powers with a thick crimson smog. - 1 initiative

"Would it be possible for my powers to remove that stone?" you ask Cassandra, slightly on edge. You have never heard of this use of holy power, and if yours are similar to that of the woman Sophitia, you might be able to do it just as aptly as she.

"Possible," says the young woman, "but you'd need someone to show you how. I can't; I learned from my sister, and I don't have enough power or training to do it easily."

You become aware that if you attempt do so, now, you might irretrievably faff up the process, killing the host of the crystal shard, or worse, accelerating the process of its takeover. This would be, to say the least, inadvisable.

---

Forewarned, Tyr shouts "Someone's coming!"

Before Ryn or Cassandra can react, a gleaming sword plunges through the door's lock, near where Cassandra is sitting [roll = 1]. Completely taken by surprise, the young woman fails to react entirely and the sword drives itself through her lower abdomen before withdrawing. She looks down in a mix of shock and pain, then collapses, unconscious and bleeding.

The door bursts open, and a tall man steps through. It is Lord Sorel.

1608qx1.jpg

His elegant clothes are slightly tattered and somewhat soot-stained, but he himself looks none the worse for wear. "Vermin," he says, regarding Cassandra's prone form with a sneer. He looks at Tyr and Ryn. "I don't suppose you two had anything to do with that ill-fated attack on my mansion, did you? No, don't bother answering, I see what I need."

"Auguste! Stavros! Solnhofen!" he shouts, and Captain Stavros, the Butler, and a heavily armored man wielding a huge sword step through the door and face the mercenary and the Paladin. "Kill these two, then take that malfested to the carriages. I would do it myself, but I must and make arrangements; besides, Amy hates to be alone."

"Au revoir," says Lord Sorel with a smirk, and steps out, taking the time to tip a lantern over outside in the hall. It shatters and covers the hall with gradually spreading flames.

"Sorry about this, lads" says Stavros, all trace of an accent gone. "But you, really, truly, should have stayed in the house." He draws his sword and takes a pistol from his belt.

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE:

Tyr: 3 + 1 (forewarned) = 4

Ryn 3 - 1 (surprised) = 2

Solnhofen: 1 - 1 (movement penalty) = 0

Stavros: 6

Auguste: 2

Turn Order:

1. Stavros

2. Tyr

3. Ryn

4. Auguste

5. Solnhofen

_________

COMBAT!

High in the Mountains

Kurojin: use the gunpowder bag and BLOW THIS GUY UP

Attack: 6

Defense: 4 + 1 [seen it all] = 5 [hit!]

Damage: 3 + 3 [gunpowder bag] - 2 [armored robes] = 4 [heavily injured!]

Roll to stay up: 6 [success!]

"I DO NOT BEG," roars Kurojin, and hurls his gunpowder bag at at his tormentor. The bag hits the man in the gut, and just as it bounces off the dragon lord ignites it with his fire breath. The projectile erupts into flame and casts the dark skinned man backward, grievously injured - but he remains standing.

Zasalamel: deprive the dragon man of his sword: show him the thunder!

[called shot: right arm]

Attack: 5 - 1 (called attack) = 4

Defense: 4 [hit!]

Damage: 4 - 1 (natural armor) = 3 [injured!]

Roll to stay up: 6 [success!]

Roll against shock: 1 [shock!]

Zasalamel summons the magical arts he has learned over his centuries of study and hurls a lightning bolt at Kurojin. The argent blast strikes the dragon man in the arm. A scent as of cooking meat fills the air, and Kurojin's sword drops from nerveless fingers [arm useless for 1 round].

---

It is hard to tell who is worse off. "Submit!" snarls the dark skinned man at Kurojin, one hand pressed to his injured, bleeding abdomen. "Submit, you fool!"

_________

COMBAT!

High Horse Tavern

Stavros: shoot the mercenary

Attack: 5

Defense: 2 + 1 [shield bonus] + 1 [melee combat bonus] = 4 [hit!]

Damage: 6 - 3 [chainmail] - 2 [shield] = 1 [no damage]

"At 'em, boys!" cries Stavros as he raises his pistol and fires at Tyr. At close quarters, the weapon is just as effective. The shot plows through Tyr's shield and bounces harmlessly off his armor, dropping ineffectually to the floor.

Tyr: MANEUVER - Power Attack!

Attack: 4 + 1 [melee combat bonus] - 1 [powerattack] = 4

Defense: 3 [hit!]

Damage: 5 + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [powerattack] = 7 [fatality]

Tyr swears a grim oath as he brings his sword around to strike Captain Stavros, his erstwhile host. "I am going to kill you three," he mutters, his longsword whirring through the air. "And then I am going to kill your master."

The weapon slices cleanly through Stavros' flabby neck and drops his head on the ground. The body stays upright for an instant, then crumples, soiling itself.

Ryn: Called Attack - Right Arm

Attack: 6 + 1 [melee combat bonus] - 1 [called attack] = 6

Defense: 3 [hit!]

Damage: 2 + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [2h bonus] = 4 [heavily injured]

Roll to stay conscious: 5 [success!]

Ryn puts the fallen girl out of his mind for the moment, as there are more pressing matters to deal with. He draws his sword and slashes fiercely at Auguste with a two-handed grip.

The deadly blow rips a gash open along the Butler's arm. He howls savagely, making the wolf head he wears suddenly seem much more fitting. Ability trigger: Savage

Ryn: Called Attack - Upper Torso

Attack: 4 + 1 [melee combat bonus] - 1 [called attack] - 1 [second attack] = 3

Defense: 6 [parry!]

Ryn follows up his brutal arm slash with a sweeping horizontal blow at Auguste's torso - but the Butler brings up his rapier just in time and redirects the forceful strike, straining his weapon against Ryn's heavier sword, but leaving the Paladin open for a counterattack!

Attack: 1 - 1 [arm damage] - 1 [savage] = -1

Defense: 5 + 1 [melee combat bonus] = 6 [parry!]

The wolf-headed Butler drives his rapier at Ryn. However the attack is clumsy and easily blocked, straining his rapier even more and leaving him unguarded!

Attack: 5 + 1 [melee combat bonus] = 6

Defense: 5 [hit!]

Damage: 3 + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [2h bonus] = 5 [mangled]

Roll to stay conscious: 3 [failure!]

Ryn seizes his chance. With Auguste unguarded, he drives his sword at the man in hopes of ending the fight. The thrust plunges deep into the left side of his chest, splintering ribs and puncturing a lung. Ryn lets Auguste slide off his sword.

Auguste: Puncture the Paladin's heart! Called Shot: Upper Torso

Can't attack: missing a lung

Solnhofen: slash the mercenary twice

Attack: 2

Defense: 4 - 1 [weapon size difference] + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [shield bonus] = 5 [parry!]

The great armored soldier brings his huge sword up and around at Tyr, nearly cleaving the ceiling in half. The weapon comes crashing down, but the mercenary manages to catch it with his shield and shove it away. The shield is beginning to fall apart, but he has opened the opponent up for a counter!

Attack: 5 + 1 [melee combat bonus] = 6

Defense: 6 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 5 [hit!]

Damage: 5 + 1 [melee combat bonus] - 3 [breastplate] = 3 [injured]

Tyr steps forward, inside the soldier's guard, and strikes viciously at his abdomen. The sword cuts deep, and manages to penetrate the breastplate, but is damaged in turn.

Attack: 4 - 1 [second attack] = 3

Defense: 2 + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [shield bonus] - 1 [weapon size difference] = 3 [hit!]

Damage: 4 - 3 [chainmail] + 2 [greatsword] = 3 [injured]

Enraged, the soldier brings his sword down on Tyr again. This time he is not quick enough to block, and the great sword crashes down on his arm, driving the chainmail rings into flesh and cutting him slightly.

---

With Stavros dead and Auguste dying, the minions of Lord Sorel have fallen far more easily than Ryn and Tyr would have expected them to fall. All that is left is the great soldier Solnhofen with his black armor and black mask - and his fearsome greatsword.

However two against one is hardly a contest. Solnhofen looks as though he is going to try and even the odds by first striking Ryn in his right arm, then striking Tyr in his left arm.

NEW TURN ORDER:

1. Tyr

2. Ryn

3. Solnhofen

_________

COMBAT!

High in the Mountains

Kurojin: Maneuver: Tail Throw! [second action canceled]

Attack: 5 - 1 [non-throwing weapon]

Defense: 2 [hit!]

Damage: 3 [cumulative injury: mangled!]

Roll to stay conscious: 5 [success]

Kurojin whips his tail around and flicks his dropped sword at the dark skinned man. "I could say the same to you," he rumbles as the projectile unerringly makes its way home.

The longsword sails at the man and, before he can properly defend himself, embeds itself in his gut. He grimaces in agony as the sword lances through his internal organs and protrudes out the other side.

Zasalamel: DECAPITATE THE DAMNABLE LIZARD. Called Attack: Head!

Attack: 6 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [torso damage] - 1 [called attack] = 5

Defense: 6 [miss!]

Positively frothing with rage now, Zasalamel swings his deadly scythe in an arc at Kurojin's neck - and just narrowly misses as the dragon man dodges the blow.

---

All semblance of rationality has left the dark skinned man, although the whole business with the sword through the abdomen is probably not helping matters. It looks as though he is going to move to take the crystalline shard in the dead man's hand.

New Turn Order

1. Kurojin

2. Zasalamel

_________

[[firefly: Wow. so much for Stavros.]]

[[roninvoid: And that was the first instance of a parry-chain we've seen in this campaign. Came out in Ryn's favor, too.]]

[[from now on I'm going to be giving out the actions of opponents you have higher initiative than; that way we can get the impression of a flowing, more "real" combat.]]

"Let's end this!" Before the dark-skinned man can move or make it to the shard, I stabbed his abdomen with my other sword and then processed to use both swords to slice him in half

[[i swear I'm nervous I'll die on my second fight... Never was confident is solo fights. I usually take the stealth approach so that I'm not in harms way... but not sure how that would play out in RTDs]]

[[a stealth approach would work out totally fine' date= except in the first fight you were attacked on a ship, and in the second fight you got yanked around by a magical immortal dude. No chance to sneak there, tbh]]

[[Well Shit His immortal... I'm so screwed}}

[[a stealth approach would work out totally fine' date= except in the first fight you were attacked on a ship, and in the second fight you got yanked around by a magical immortal dude. No chance to sneak there, tbh]]

[[Well Shit His immortal... I'm so screwed}}

[[nah, you recall the specific conditions under which he's immortal, right? metagame knowledge ftw! he's no Connor MacLeod.]]

COMBAT!

High Horse Tavern

Tyr: Defensive Stance!

As Solnhofen maneuvers to attack both Ryn and himself, Tyr shifts to a more defensive position, readying his shield to block the inevitable attack. [+1 defense]

Ryn: Double Called Attack - Head!

Attack: 6 + 1 [melee combat bonus] - 1 [called attack] =6

Defense: 2 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 1 [hit!]

Damage: 4 + 1 [melee combat bonus] + 1 [2h bonus] = 6 [THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE]

Thinking quickly, Ryn shifts his grip and stance, angling his longsword at Solnhofen in a horizontal cut. Before the armored soldier can complete his attack, Ryn's sword slices neatly through his head, sending the upper half flying into the corner and giving Ryn a nice view of his tongue.

Solnhofen: Called Attack: Right Arm [Ryn!], Called Attack: Left Arm [Tyr!]

Can't attack due to lack of head.

---

The tavern is clear of foes, though the somewhat more mundane scent of death has been added to the horrid odor exuded by Adrastos on the bed. Smoke begins to fill the room. It looks like the fire Lord Sorel started in the hallway is spreading, and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Lord Sorel will probably be expecting his minions to have killed you, and will be awaiting them at the carriages. It's much too bad all of them are dead, since you could have pumped them for information.

Cassandra lies prone and bleeding on the floor. Her breathing is shallow.

_________

COMBAT!

High in the Mountains

Kurojin: Double Called Attack: Lower Abdomen!

Attack: 3 - 1 [called attack] = 2

Defense: 5 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [injury] - 1 [weapon size difference] = 4 [parry!]

"LET US END THIS," roars Kurojin, leaping at the dark skinned man in order to impale him with his sword. The attack is poorly aimed, though, and the man easily parries it with his scythe and makes a counterattack of his own!

Attack: 6 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [injury] = 6

Defense: 3 - 1 [weapon size difference] = 2 [hit!]

Damage: 2 + 1 [Kafziel] + 1 [seen it all] = 4 [heavily injured]

Roll to stay conscious: 6 [success!]

Taking advantage of Kurojin's overextended position, the man brings his scythe up and around, hoping to bisect the dragon man before he can move. He nearly succeeds; his scythe lays Kurojin's lower torso open and exposes, briefly, his organs to the air.

Attack: 6 - 1 [called attack] - 1 [injury] - 1 [successive attack] = 3

Defense: 3 + 1 [seen it all] - 1 [injury] - 1 [weapon size difference] = 2 [hit!]

Damage: 3 [cumulative damage: damaged beyond repair!]

Furious with rage and pain, Kurojin grabs for his sword, embedded in the dark skinned man's belly. Succeeding, he grabs it and wrenches it sideways, neatly bisecting the man.

Zasalamel: Move to take the crystal shard!

Can't move: some assembly required.

---

The dark skinned man sneers at Kurojin. He can't possibly have survived that attack, and yet he has. "Another time, another place, dragon man," he mutters, coughing blood, and traces a curious sigil in the air with his hand.

A great rift in the air opens up and sucks him in. He is gone.

Severely wounded, there's a great chance that Kurojin might die if he doesn't do something about his injuries. On the other hand, the dark skinned man was kind enough to leave his legs behind.

_________

[[firefly: your shield should probably be replaced soon.]]

[[Kuroshu: you might have to replace your skin. And organs. Assuming you survive the mountains and don't die of exposure.]]

"Not yet..." I grunt trying to keep my self together, "Not even everyone is waiting for me..." I take my sword and heat it with my fire breath and placed the heated blade on the wound to try and force it shut. I then wrapped the wound in whatever cloth I found in the ruins. "I... Can not... Die here..."

[[i do want to change how I look... For reference this was what I had in mind when I was thinking of Human Dragon:]]

breath_of_fire_v___ryu_by_haouform-d4dzylu.jpg

21-dragon_s_fury.jpg

[[Also I'm not sure if my wound closing method works... I think it does... At least in theory it should...]]