RTD: Souls and Swords

"Lysander, lying is a sin... Even more so when you lie with blood upon your blade. You could not have seen Sorel," I draw my shortsword and heater shield, preparing to defend Sophitia. "Your story is inconsistent with our own. So, who did you really stab?"

(Bit confused with how the timing is worded.)

• 2 weeks later...

You know what sucks about forgetting to pay your internet bill in a third world country?

a) the fact that you have to pay it

B) hefty penalties

ANYWAY I'm back now after rectifying that whole mess. Be running the turn in a bit.

(at least it's better than that one time I disappeared from a forum because I got hit by a car)

Tyr

No roll

Ryn

No roll

---

"Liar!" shouts Tyr, drawing his trusty longsword and raising his shield. The point gleams in the dim light. Lysander takes a step back.

"Liar?" the holy warrior says. He looks genuinely bewildered. "I swear to you that I have crossed swords with the monster Sorel, and I have his blood on my sword to prove it!" He brandishes his sword. The blood looks nothing like that Tyr saw on Sophitia's blade earlier.

Cassandra and Sophitia look from the mercenary to their comrade. Cassandra draws her own weapon, an imposing short sword much like her sister's. "Something is very definitely wrong here," she says to Sophitia, and steps forward beside Tyr.

"Lysander, lying is a sin," says Ryn. "Especially when you lie with blood on your blade. You cannot have seen Sorel, because we saw him, nearly an hour ago." He draws his own sword and unslings his shield, putting himself between the holy (?) warrior and Sophitia. "Who did you stab?"

The man stares at them in confusion. Even in Sophitia's tired eyes, he can see doubt. "It is true, I swear!" he cries. "The monster and his minions must have addled your minds!"

[3, 2]

In his Lysander's flailings, Tyr notices something. There are two trickles of blood from Lysander's neck, insignificant wounds, perhaps, but suspicious nonetheless.

Sophitia raises her head wearily and casts her gaze on Lysander. "We are tired, the fighting has cost too much. All of you, sheathe your swords. Especially you, Lysander."

He looks at her in dismay. "But my lady... you must be in the power of Lord Sorel's agents! I see it now: these men are under his influence!"

The warrior steps forward, weapon ready. "Lysander!" Sophitia says in a warning tone.

"No! You must be freed! I will slay Sorel's minions, and break your bonds!" says Lysander.

Kurojin

Roll = 4, 6, 3

---

[4] Kurojin silently makes his way down the defile, tucking his claws. He plans to ambush the man who has unwittingly separated himself from his friends, and with proceeds with that goal in mind.

"YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO REDUCE YOURSELF TO SKULKING IN THE SHADOWS WERE YOU ONLY BRAVE ENOUGH TO ACCEPT ME AS YOUR SERVANT", blathers the shard. Thankfully it speaks only into Kurojin's mind, for if it were speaking aloud the entire mountainside would be in uproar.

[6] He tracks the man to a shallow embankment nearby which a spring flows. He appears to be relieving himself into the stream with more than a little spite; whoever will be drinking from that water source later on will get more than he bargained for. Thankfully he has made himself completely and utterly vulnerable.

[4] Kurojin's clawed fist crashes down onto the back of the man's head and he falls facefirst into the stream (and, unfortunately, his own urine). Now perhaps things will go the dragon-lord's way.

Hoping to end this conflict before it begins, I grab for Lysander's sword arm, hoping to disarm him. "Let there be no more bloodshed this day, Lysander," I look him dead in the eyes as I say this, hoping to get my point across to him. "Even you should be able to see that we are not a threat to Lady Sophitia."

I blindfolded, gagged and tied the man's hands and feet with cloth from his shirt before dragging him a fair distance to question him."Thou are my servant, but thou shall remain separated with me." I whispered to the shard, "You shall have to prove thyself to me."

After making sure we were far enough I secured the man to make sure he can't escape and then waked him up.

Although I see no wrong in ending this man's life, as he would do the same to me... I have no wish to deal with the the resulting tempers to arise from the others were I to immediately seek to end him.

I attempt a disarming attack against his hand/lower arm, enough to prevent his use of a sword, but nothing to prove fatal.

(We're back bitches, can I get a hell yeah?)

(Edit: Hmm, so there are three players, and an absolute boss running the show, who is telling a tale, some of wich took place on the open sea?

Well then it looks like...

The boys are back

[video=youtube]

This is the tale! of souls and swords!)

(Picturing the three Lonely Island guys as Myself, Kuroshu, and roninvoid; and picturing Michael Bolton as Sand_Dragon is freaking hilarious.)

[[boys.... let's get to it *echoes*]]

Tyr

Roll = 6

Ryn

Roll = 3

---

Cassandra, Ryn, and Tyr all act at the same time. The results are catastrophic. [6] Cassandra wings her shield at Lysander's face, but accidentally applies too much force. The shield whirs by and slices his ear off.

Ryn and Tyr dart in, attempting to disarm the warrior. Ryn manages to avoid the point of the Greek's sword narrowly, [3] and seizes his forearm. "You cannot take my sword, servant of the dark one!" cries the warrior. "I am blessed by-"

He is interrupted by Tyr's sword, [6] coming down upon his elbow-joint with a whickering noise. Ryn staggers backwards, with Lysander's sword in his left hand and Lysander's forearm in his right.

Tyr's eyes widen. Oops.

Sophitia rushes forward as her follower collapses, staring blankly at the stump of his arm. He falls back and passes out. She gives Tyr an incredulous look.

"What are you three doing just standing there?" she cries. "Help me, help him!"

Kurojin

Roll = 1, 4

---

Kurojin sends the shard a very clear message in his mind: it may claim to be his servant, but he does not trust it - it must prove itself first, and then, perhaps, it may be joined with him or not.

Turning his attention to the unconscious man, he sets about attempting to bind and gag his captive. [1] Unfortunately in attempting to tear strips of cloth from the man's tunic, his claws hook a massive wound into the man's body. He wakes up and starts screaming.

If this continues, Kurojin will be discovered. [4] He attempts to stuff the man's mouth with the only thing available: clods of dirt. Hopefully this should work.

"Raimol?" shouts a voice from the direction of the camp. "Did something go wrong?"

Damnation.

"Damn it..." I go behind the man called Raimo and placed my sword on his neck. "I just want to speak with thee," I whispered calmly to the man, "now shoo thy friend or thy forces me to end thy life." I ready my sword to cut his throat the moment he calls for help.

I can't help but stare dumbfounded for a moment at the events that had just taken place. Regaining my senses just as Sophitia calls to us for aid, I kneel down next to her and begin to try to seal Lysander's wounds, knowing I do not have the power to reconnect his now missing appendages.

[[Oh the joys of a Natural 6: you can be certain that things go right. Horribly, horribly right.]]

Tyr

Roll = 4

Ryn

Roll = 2

---

As though she has not heard her sister's entreaty, Cassandra stands rigid with a look on her face that appears to be one of both shock and guilt. On the other hand, at least she only sliced off the man's ear.

Tyr and Ryn spring into action. Ryn holds his hand aloft, summoning the divine healing power, [2] but the magic fizzles. Perhaps it has been a long day, or perhaps the stress of the moment is preventing him from wielding his light-given powers properly.

Tyr meanwhile seeks more mundane measures. [4] Retrieving one of the fallen sword-belts from the pile of weapons and gear, he runs to the stricken man and loops the leather strap tightly around his wrist, providing what might work as a temporary tourniquet.

"Thank you," Sophitia says. She sets Lysander down gently and looks at Tyr and Ryn while Cassandra goes off to retrieve her shield. "That will hold him for now." She sighs heavily.

Sophitia crouches by her fallen follower and points at the two wounds Tyr noticed earlier, on his neck. "Look at these", she says. "I think Lord Sorel has made a slave of him. I would break the spell, but I fear I'm still too weak. And we still must bring Sorel to heel, at least if we're to have any hope of stopping this madness."

Cassandra returns, sheepishly wiping blood off her shield. "I've... seen marks like those before, walking through the city. I think he bites them, and sucks their blood - and maybe even a bit of their soul out."

"Yes," Sophitia says, nodding assent. "We have to track him down, but... I can't just leave Lysander here, like this. And I'm in no shape to fight him, not any time soon."

It looks like it has come down to a critical juncture. Sophitia looks to Ryn and Tyr. "I'm already indebted to the to of you, we both are. If you decide to help us now, there will be no turning back. We might have to wait a month, or more, if we stop to rest, but if we set off to pursue him now we could still catch his carriage... and if we do, I doubt we'll win."

Kurojin

Roll = 4

---

The dragon lord curses. "I just wish to speak with thee," he says to the man called Raimol. "Shoo thy friend, or I shall end thy life." The edge of Kurojin's (somewhat battered) sword rests firmly upon the bandit's throat. His intent is clear.

The man spits out the clods of dirt. "You won't harm me?" he says, piteously.

"Only if you call for help," says the dragon man.

"PAH. IS THIS MERCY? MERCY IS FOR HATCHLINGS AND SUCKLING BABES. SLAY HIM, DRAGON LORD." The shard's voice is as insistent as ever.

"Very well," he says, voice trembling. "IT'S NOTHING!" he hollers. "JUST TRIPPED AND CAUGHT MESELF ON A BRANCH!"

There is the sound of laughter. His friend seems to have moved away. This Raimol fellow must be known for clumsiness.

At the very least, it is time to have a little chat.

[[As a side note, guys, I'm starting up a second RTD which I'll be running simultaneously with this one.

Highlander RTD: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=4591&pid=88595#pid88595

Here's hoping it manages to generate interest for some other people too. My hope is to spark a general upswing in traditional style RPGs on this forum - generally, that's unmarked ground.]]

"We aren't in suitable condition to fight. I suggest we wait," I reply, looking between Sophitia and Tyr. "We're going to need better equipment... And more men."

I look at Lysander, laying down before me. Sophitia may be too weak, but perhaps...

"Lady Sophitia, could you teach me the technique for saving Lysander? I may be able to at least be of some assistance in that regard."

Though I am eager to exact revenge against Sorel, I am not so eager to as to put myself in a position to lose. I agree that it would be best to halt our advances against him for the moment. Without a doubt, at least Sophitia needs rest and recovery, not to mention the rest of us as well.

[[we are now about to run into one of the most spectacular problems with , as they call it, splitting the party: the time skip]]

Tyr

No roll

Ryn

Roll = 5

---

"Sophitia is right," Tyr says. He slides his sword back into its scabbard, under where the ghost sword hangs. "It would be best if we halt our advance against Sorel for the moment."

Ryn nods agreement. "We'll need better equipment... and more men."

Cassandra steps up besides them. "I think you two killed his top men at the tavern, though..."

"Still," says Tyr, "though I am eager to exact revenge against Sorel for that attack, I am not so eager as to put myself in a position to lose. Your sister needs rest and recovery." Tyr pauses, gesturing to the rather battered company. "And so do we."

Meanwhile Ryn has been starting intently at the fallen Holy Warrior. "Lady Sophitia," he says. "Could you teach me the technique for saving Lysander? I may be able to assist in that regard."

Sophitia regards him curiously. "You are a Paladin. Your powers might be similar enough to mine that you could save him. But... it will take time to teach you. When he wakes... if he wakes... he'll still be in thrall to Lord Sorel. We'll have to find lodgings, a place to recuperate."

"I don't think the tavernkeeper will be very happy to see us again," says Cassandra. "But we left Adrastos' body there. We should at least bury him."

"Body?" say Sophitia. "That means... if Dastan truly is dead, then we are the last of Hephaestus' twenty-four. Unless Aeon Calcos still lives."

"Ryn did his best to save him," Cassandra says, smiling sadly. "The shard was too deep."

The leader of the Holy Warriors, her band now reduced to three, sighs again. It has been a week of regrets. "First that red monster, now Sorel..." she says. "I doubt I'm in any position to make decisions right now. Tyr? Sir Ryn? Where shall we go? I must teach the Paladin the art of purification, and we need room and board."

Cassandra looks out into the darkened city streets. "We probably can't stay in Genoa too long."

She's quite right, of course. For all anyone knew, Raphael Sorel was a respectable and wealthy antique collector and noble. There will be repercussions for this attack - from both the authorities and perhaps Sorel's remaining minions. But where to go?

Kurojin

Roll = 3

---

"Thy name is Raimol?" whispers Kurojin to his frightened captive.

"Yessir," the man stammers. He seems little more than a youth, as it turns out, and the blood loss from his gash isn't helping matters. Kurojin becomes aware of the acrid stench of fear,

"What art thou doing in this place?" Kurojin says. [3] He glances towards the campsite and notices a few men stirring, but none walking in his direction.

"G-gathering firewood, sir" Raimol mumbles.

"HE IS A FOOL," remarks the shard. "YOU WOULD BEST BE SERVED BY CUTTING OUT HIS TONGUE, AND REMOVING HIS EYES. IT WILL MAKE HIM NO DIFFERENT THAN HE IS NOW."

Kurojin frowns. "And thy friends? For what reason are they here?"

Raimol gulps audibly. "M'boss didn't say, all's I know is he works for a man name of Cervantes, big time pirate captain, he is, an' he's gettin' some treasure for 'im up in these mountains here. Very well off, we'll be, if we find it."

Treasure, eh? But what could that treasure be?

"I trust that thou shalt not try to run?" I lower my sword but still kept it unsheathed in chase the man tries to run or call for the others "Cover thyn wound else it may attract beasts that lurk in tis Mountains." I motioned him to cover up his wounds. "What thou had fought to receive thy wound."

"So we are unable to free him from Sorel's grasp?", I audibly sigh, feeling some of the energy drain from my body as I do so. It's been a long night.

"Let us pawn off the gear left by the dead and leave the city. If our time here really is as sparse as you would suggest, then we can reestablish ourselves in a different city. Could we proceed with the treatment after we are somewhere more safe?"

(You could avoid the time-skip temporarily until we reunite somehow. Might draw it out a bit longer, but we could get some item shopping done, etc. etc.)

[i'm not worried about reuiniting you guys, since Kurojin is on a completely different trajectory than Ryn and Tyr, I'm just wondering about syncing up the timeframes. Of course things like selling gear and buying gear can easily be handled during a timeskip, as I'll demonstrate in a bit.]

Tyr

No Roll

Ryn

No Roll

---

Tyr ruminates on these facts. "Indeed," he says, "We should do what we can here, then take our leave."

He gestures towards the sisters. "Perhaps you two have some idea as to what Sorel might be doing?"

Cassandra nods. "His goals are probably unchanged. He wants to gather as many shards of the evil sword as he can. We can find him the way we found him before."

"How is that?" asks the mercenary.

Sophitia gets to her feet unsteadily. "An oracle would help, but Delphi is leagues away from here. We had... help from a noble, a rival of Lord Sorel. That's how we found him and discovered his intentions. He is a Venetian merchant Lord - Geo Dampierre. But I don't trust him."

Ryn regards Lysander regretfully. "So we can't save him?"

Sophitia looks to him. "We can. Lord Sorel didn't have enough time to completely enthrall him - all he could do was addle his thoughts. He still recognizes and trusts me. I could teach you the purification technique, or perhaps over time the enchantment will fade." She frowns and touches the stump of his arm. "This might be the more pressing matter, however."

"Very well," says Ryn. "Let us pawn off the gear left by the dead and leave the city. If our time here is really as sparse as you suggest, then we can reestablish ourselves in a different city. Could we proceed with the treatment after we are somewhere more safe?"

Cassandra looks at Sophitia. "Could we?"

"Of course," her sister says. "We owe it to him to try."

Kurojin

---

Kurojin lowers his sword. "I trust that thou shall not try to run?" he says.

"'m in no condition t' run," says the youth. He begins to move in order to bandage himself up.

"Yes," says the dragon-man. "Cover thy wound, lest it attract the beasts that lurk in these mountains. What had thou fought to receive thy wound?"

"YOU," says the shard snidely. "YOU RIPPED THE LITTLE SOT OPEN WHEN YOU TRIED TO GET HIS CLOTHES OFF TO TIE HIM UP, YOU OA-" it cuts itself off. It seems to have been about to insult Kurojin.

It is right, though.

"I thought 'twere you," says Kurojin's captive. "I wake up, here's this horned beast crouchin' over me, 'm bleedin like a stuck pig, well..."

"Then let us go. We must make haste if we wish to leave before anyone begins to draw connections between us and Sorel."

I lift Lysander onto my back. "Perhaps someone else could assist Lady Sophitia? We should head to the inn first. We can treat his wounds there and let you," I glance at Sophitia, "Get a little bit of rest before we set out."