Starfield: modding compatibility?

Hi there, before I buy the game, can someone tell me which version of starfield'd be modding friendly? (I mean, steam version, etc...) I want to be sure to be able to use the fantastic work shared here ^^ .

Thanks for all the work doing here!!!

Vor 13 Minuten sagte Yvell:

Hallo, bevor ich das Spiel kaufe, kann mir jemand sagen, welche Version von Starfield moddingfreundlich wäre? (Ich meine, Steam-Version usw.) Ich möchte sicher sein, dass ich die fantastische Arbeit, die hier geteilt wird, nutzen kann ^^ .

Vielen Dank für die ganze Arbeit, die hier geleistet wird!!!

Who is supposed to give a SERIOUS answer to this at this point in time?

54 minutes ago, Yvell said:

I want to be sure to be able to use the fantastic work shared here ^^ .

I'm not aware of anything being shared here for Starfield.
But since it's still like the Creation Engine, I think there will also be a Creation Kit and therefore mods.

Well, at least my hope. Because even before Fallout 4 was released, it was more than questionable whether Bethesda would release it for modding.

This was due to certain mods that existed for Skyrim.
But the construction of settlements was also controversial for Fallout 4. And lo and behold, both are there today and for many people are the reason why they bought and play FO4.

And if Bethesda isn't completely dumb, there will of course be modding.?

What normally happens it that peeps will look at the record format of the new game, (esm/esp etc.), use a version of a previous CK for general manipulation and then use xEdit to fondle the differences into the new record structure until the actual tools are released, (which has basically been the same technique since Oblivion). From a graphics side probably a fondled nif scope and whatever base 3D modelling tool is flavour of the month will suffice. 

Edited by spoonsinger
Fish!

There WILL be a construction set, Bethesda said that modders'll be able to create compleat planets if they want.

So I think it'll be script extender too (soon), but I remember of incompatibility (for some mods) when I was playing Oblivion,

and some modders had to specify "steam version", or "not steam version" for some of their work.

I'm wondering if buying the game on steam'll not be a problem later, when installing mods... (as I don't want to buy it 2 times because of that ? )

Vor 40 Minuten sagte Yvell:

Es WIRD einen Baukasten geben, Bethesda sagte, dass Modder in der Lage sein werden, komplette Planeten zu erstellen, wenn sie wollen.

Ich denke also, dass es (bald) auch ein Script-Extender sein wird, aber ich erinnere mich an Inkompatibilität (bei einigen Mods), als ich Oblivion spielte.

und einige Modder mussten für einige ihrer Arbeiten „Steam-Version“ oder „Nicht-Steam-Version“ angeben.

Ich frage mich, ob der Kauf des Spiels auf Steam später bei der Installation von Mods kein Problem sein wird ... (da ich es deswegen nicht zweimal kaufen möchte ? )

What should one answer to such a text?

When the game "Oblivion" came out 20 years ago ... the "steam" platform didn't exist and games from Bugdesta weren't hosted there.

I still have the original game from back then ... but also the GOG version ... which came out 10 years later.

The "StarField" from the computer shop is the same version as in the "steam" shop ... what else!

---

the script extender ... this is NOT a work of "bugdesta" but of volunteer programmers - who do this UNCOMPENSATION!

and with every change the shitty company makes ... they have to do it again

they were really "looking forward" to the AE-version - there are several SKSE in the meantime

?

So... in a variety of ways this looks like a classic new Bethesda game. The file formats seem similar to past file formats, but there's significant differences.

Waiting for official tools will help a *lot* of course.

But, also, all the existing tools which have needed updates across many games will also need updates. Nifskope, for example. xEdit, for example.

And this brings up people issues -- the people who put these together are probably the best candidates for updates. But as these tools get bigger and bigger, and the people who work on them get involved in so many different things, other tools, other people and other approaches (often with different limitations) can.... sometimes be better for some things.

Also, at this stage, it's becoming incredibly difficult to even find adequate file format documentation. And that slows down (or stops) everything else.

Stuff's complicated.

Already using a Reshade, really helps with removing that classic washed out look, putting some vibrancy into the color palette.

FPS from what I have read could be better, I have a really good PC so have not noticed the problem personally.

CPU's on high end modern are really important for FPS right now, and FPS favors AMD gpu right now.

I hear there will be an update, no idea if that will fix the issue or not on sept 6th.

Modders have put up a DLSS mod, this is supposed to really help and DLSS 3.5 actually helps all the RTX gpu's not just 40 series, really interesting stuff.

Even if SFSE needs the Steam version, my guess is that it will take some time until mods that actually need to be created.
Unless there are a lot of engine fixes needed. My game has been fine so far. *knocks on wood*

No tools like xEdit yet, so only asset edits like texture, INI tweaks and console commands for now.

Since you can set commands to run on start with the INI, a lot of mods are using this to tweak game settings like difficulty etc.

I tried hex editing a very simple Skyrim mod, it did not work but also did not crash, so I think the ESP did not get loaded at all...

Another possible asset edit is menu files it seems, quite a few mods that move or hide stuff, also smooth UI mods for 60 and 120 fps.

Advanced assets like models probably need updated tools, especially for stuff like animations.

xEdit

ElminsterAU

It's getting there. Give it time.

21 September 2023

Starfield: another 30 record definitions checked

25 September 2023

Rewrote Resource Cache for better performance

SFSE Starfield Script Extender (Steam support only)

A note from Ian, "No, you can't just jam the DLL in to the Game Pass version and expect it to work. The Game Pass and Steam executables are very different, alternate loaders are not calling functions at the right times, the whole thing is a mess."

On Nexus

19 September 2023

Address Library for SFSE Plugins

Contains a database to make SFSE DLL plugins version independent easily

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3256

21 September 2023

StarHUD UI

StarUI HUD gives you full control over most HUD widgets and provides an updated loot list and better item cards with DPS and V/W.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3444

22 September 2023

powerofthree is doing Starfield

Collection of fixes and misc gameplay tweaks. SFSE plugin.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3621

16 September 2023

Console Command Runner

Console Command Runner is an SFSE plugin that automatically runs a list of console commands from user defined .toml files.

Eventually when the CK releases this mod will be made somewhat redundant, but in the meantime I hope that it can enable more people to start modding Starfield.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2740

23 September 2023

Console Tweaks

This mod enables console command hotkeys, and increases console buffer

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3766

22 September 2023

SKK Console Utility Script

A new Papyrus script with a number of QOL global utility functions (homeship, storage, companions, unlimited followers, spawn hostiles, vendor credits) to call from the console or HOTKEYS.INI. No hacks, no conflicts.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3622

25 September 2023

Papyrus decompile and compile command files

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3921

Quick workflow wrapper files to decompile the base game Papyrus scripts with CHAMPOLLION and compile your own scripts with CAPRICA.

BAE

Bethesda Archive Extractor is on Nexus

ESM Explorer

A very basic and simple ESM viewer, with a side order of archive viewer/extractor. Supports all versions from Morrowind to Starfield

xTranslator

(Starfield Edition) is on Nexus

ESP-ESM Translator

Can read, decompile and translate scripts files (pex). Can modify scripts without recompilation needed (All Games). Can translate MCM.

StarfieldCustom.ini

to Enable Loose File Mods (Now with sTestFile ESP Loading Support)

Elianora

Worked for Bethesda on clutter and lightning and is uploading modding resources on Nexus

Sex Mod Framework

is being discussed

Ousnius

BodySlide and Outfit Studio

See post below this for more info

Edited by GOodTimes

No, not compatible, no suiting tools. For a game which offers a technique, which is 10 or more years behind with little physics on body and clothing-with a handful of changes, which would all not be necessary for the perform of it´s content, this is very questionable to become modded again. Bethesda gamebryo/havok chicane, part IV.

Answering the original post durr sorry op,

The answ3r which game version is best for modding on is the steam version of the game.  The script extender crew will not make it work for gamepass versions. Yes there will be modding for other versions but script extender will only support steam version and that means a lot of framework mods will be gated to that version of steam.