[Out-of-the-loop] What's this new AE / SE headache and what's the recommended setup these days?

I blink and Todd sells us Skyrim again... breaking mods and adding useless junk, as is tradition.

I'm not against something new and shiny, but from what I've been able to gather, AE is just SE with a pile of CCC dumped on it. I thought of just deleting CCC from AE and be on my merry way to modding, but it seems USSEP now requires it, for some funny reason.

Or do I need to dig up ye olde SSE instead to do things properly?

This bad boy will let you get back to SE with no problems :)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

USSEP requires AE, cause there are a few dicks out there that refuse to just leave the SE verion there cause they are dicks.

Good thing there is a nice link to the SE version...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266?tab=files&file_id=209150

Edited by ebbluminous

All you need to worry about is the version of your executable (as usual).

CC is optional (the full CC pile is a paid DLC so you don't need to worry about that, although the 4 free ones are being used as a base now since these also add assets that other mods are using nowadays).

If you downgrade to 1.5.97 and avoid updates you'll stay safely in that version. Note that some mods being released now don't support 1.5.97, expect this number to increase.

My recommendation, stay on current version (1.6.640), avoid automatic updates (as usual) and keep in mind the executable version to check for compatibility when installing new mods (as usual). Downgrading and waiting for backports seems like additional work instead of the easy and stable solution.

If you are willing to downgrade, want USSEP, and for some magical reason the Nexus link to old version doesn't work, I may have or I may have not, by sheer accident, stored a perfectly functional, latest pre-AE version of said mod... somewhere. Of course, that is all theoretical, why would I have done that, surely there was absolutely no reason for me to do it... right?

Edited by belegost
1 hour ago, belegost said:

If you are willing to downgrade, want USSEP, and for some magical reason the Nexus link to old version doesn't work, I may have or I may have not, by sheer accident, stored a perfectly functional, latest pre-AE version of said mod... somewhere. Of course, that is all theoretical, why would I have done that, surely there was absolutely no reason for me to do it... right?

Planning for the Skyrim apocalypse man :)

4 hours ago, ebbluminous said:

Planning for the Skyrim apocalypse man :)

Oh, I have backups of all main .bsa, .esm and execs as well.

Gods, Honour, 1.5.97.