How long until a Skyrim version of OBMM comes out?

IrisCerania

Just as the thread title said, i am wondering how long it might take until we get something like OBMM for Skyrim. If anybody can say an estimation of how long it might take, it would be nice.

Also, has anybody tried using OBMM for skyrim mods yet? I bet it wouldn't work, but before I do any testing I want to know if anyone else tried that already.

There already is one out. It's called Nexus Mod Manager. It's still in beta and extremely buggy. Crashes all the time, archive invalidation seems to be stuck on and activating esp files doesn't work properly. But I'm sure the rough edges will eventually be ironed out.

Spriggin is the alternative to the Nexus version plus it includes several tweaks such as the remove blocky shadows fix too. I don't think the current version of Skyrim supports the LAA flag given the rants on this forum, but I've used the alternative Skyrim4GB launcher and launch the game from there.

Files in mention:

Spriggin: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=211

Skyrim 4GB launcher: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

There already is one out. It's called Nexus Mod Manager. It's still in beta and extremely buggy. Crashes all the time' date=' archive invalidation seems to be stuck on and activating esp files doesn't work properly. But I'm sure the rough edges will eventually be ironed out.

[/quote']

I watched the video tutorial on it, and as soon as the guy said I'd have to uninstall all my Oblivion mods, or something like that, I closed the video. What a piece of crap. It shouldn't be my job to make that piece of shit software work.

I'm pissed because now that this is out, is this going to set the standards for Skyrim's modding community? Just because the Nexus admin posted it on the main page's news section doesn't mean it warrants a download, but judging from the download count, it's rapidly picking up popularity.

As far as I see it, Nexus Mod Manager has some disadvantages and advantages over the old OBMM:

- It needs Nexus user name and password to start

- Crashing all the time and not all features working properly (these will be fixed eventually, I'm sure)

+ Super-easy installation for mods downloaded from the SkyrimNexus

- ... but only for those mods whose author has bothered to make proper folder structure inside the archive.

+ It tries to verify if you have the latest version of the mods you have installed

Like it or hate it, NMM is probably going to be the de facto way to handle mods for Skyrim.

Wave of the future only for those who don't know any better because of all the reasons you just listed.

Besides, super easy install equals folks not reading the readme which means they won't download the required files to make things work, which means they'll come back and whine to the mod maker, who will get flustered and flame them for being idoits and then get banned.......:(

They don't need to reinvent the wheel for oblivion. Obmm works fine. Wrye Bash works even better. Anything more is a complete waste of time.

Just my opinion of course which is only meaningful to me...:)

Edit: Anyway's I have given my opinion several times so I'll just shut up about it and my disdain for it. :)

NMM seems to have gotten past it's most acute problems. It's now crashing only very rarely, if ever. Also activating ESPs now works properly.

I still dislike the need to log in with nexus account, but on the other hand I *love* how it checks the version of the mods I have installed.

I still dislike the need to log in with nexus account' date=' but on the other hand I *love* how it checks the version of the mods I have installed.

[/quote']

Odd thing is, I can rememeber people saying they loved how Steam for updates to the game...

• 2 weeks later...

I've personally had no problems with NMM it has never crashed the esps load correctly, and I like the way it finds updates to mods for you, plus when you uninstall a mod for what I see it reverts back to the files that were previously overwritten which obmm did not do which meant you had to tediously back up folders all the time. I installed a terrain mod with NMM didn't like the results because it kept making my game crash unistalled it and my normal terrain was there without any extra work needed. NMM is not perfect but I'm sure that as they work on it, it will get more and more efficent. I don't understand the hostility towards nexus they provide an awesome service to the elder scrolls modding community.

I've personally had no problems with NMM it has never crashed the esps load correctly' date=' and I like the way it finds updates to mods for you, plus when you uninstall a mod for what I see it reverts back to the files that were previously overwritten which obmm did not do which meant you had to tediously back up folders all the time. I installed a terrain mod with NMM didn't like the results because it kept making my game crash unistalled it and my normal terrain was there without any extra work needed. NMM is not perfect but I'm sure that as they work on it, it will get more and more efficent. I don't understand the hostility towards nexus they provide an awesome service to the elder scrolls modding community.

[/quote']

Most of the beef is about the double standards and needless dick waving that the moderators do. Try posting a mod there and you will quickly figure out why folks here are rightly hostile.

Archived