Is anyone else a big Final fantasy fan?

I consider myself to be a giant Final Fantasy fan boy. I have enjoyed ever final fantasy from FF1~FF13. I have bought every single one mostly all in collectors edition when possible. I have like all the strategy guides all in nice condition. I am even looking forward to FF13-2 and REALLY looking forward to FFVS13.

I see final fantasy get a lot of shit because they usually try something new with every game. But I thoroughly enjoy every single one. Maybe this is the blind fanboyism I always people talk about.

I'll also tack on that I love the kingdom hearts series. But the developers really need to stick with one game at a time. either kingdom hearts 3 or VS13. Been waiting for almost 6 years for one of them. :-/

I surely am a die-hard fan of several FF games.

There are many games in the series I don't even know/have never played, especially the older ones and all of the more recent parts that came out (shame on me, I never found the time to do so), but those parts I love I really worship and idolize like practically nothing else.

They are the parts VII, VIII, X and especially X-2 which I consider a 'fashion simulator with RPG elements'. For the other parts I cannot speak, but the mentioned games are really special to me. Just like another high-profile series of games, the idea to change the underlying concept with every new episode, making them standalones under a common title, is bold and quite clever.

Just like the 'Legend of Zelda' games, FF manages to experiment with fundamental changes to each game's mechanics and successfully pulls it off, creating gameplay principles that get gratefully ripped off by other developers, becoming hallmarks of the industry in the process.

What I like most about my beloved FF episodes is the style I'd describe as 'Mana-Punk', that type of Science Fantasy combining/merging magic with hyper-technology. Robots and mech suits powered by elemental sprites, arcane energies used (and abused, see 'ShinRa') as fuel sources, crawling mega particle cannons and antigravity flying school buildings are the stuff of legends, interesting and entertaining.

My favourite in that regard is part VIII because of the Jules Verne-like style involved, with richly gold-ornamented machines, futuristic and yet Victorian-looking uniforms and intricate superstructures (Verne's 'The Begum's Fortune' with its steel city comes to mind).

There are many other aspects about FF which are trademarks of the series to me, especially (since every story is first of all about them) the oftentimes clichéd but always engaging characters that manage to suprise you with their many quirks and turncoat personalities (cough cough, 'Cait Sith' anyone?). Main characters, swordsmen that are badasses and bumbling fools at the same time that sometimes aren't even able to open a fridge door without a long internal conflict, stunned by the horrible repercussions and advantages such a deed might possibly have to themselves and everyone else, are interesting and uncannily 'alive' with many human flaws everyone should be able to relate to.

Take Cloud who finally stops being a dumbass the moment he has to watch his charismatic but egomanic arch-rival killing off the most important person in his life, Squall even going into outer space to rescue his special someone while pretending to need no other people in his life, or annoying Tidus who is unable to convincingly fake laughter but whacks enemies like 'Ultima Weapon' with a puny sword, for 99.999 damage with each hit in a wild flurry of slashes and strikes.

"But it's not realistic!", I hear reasonable people naysay, seemingly unable to accept certain game-internal conventions that form the very foundation, the groundworks for Fantasy and Science Fiction in general, literature and movies included.

FF's side characters/minor party members are quite memorable, too. Many cult characters arose to prominence from FF, Vincent Valentine, Tifa, Auron and Rikku just to name a few.

Now, 'Kingdom Hearts' is a similar case even though I'm a hardcore Disney hater (they bought MARVEL COMICS!!! >:[).

Many very interesting elements in there as well, my favourite the possibility to create something - 'Gummi' ships!

For quite a while, I entertained myself by coming up with wild Gummi designs, not necessarily spaceships per se, one weird example being a 'DOOM 2'-style flying double-barrel Shotgun! My main gripe with the games (besides Disney) was the main character's outfit with the strange 'clown shoes'...

On a side note: Your username makes me think of the similarly named game which I personally consider one of the best ever made though it is an obvious 'Ocarina of Time' rip-off, (sacrilege to state it) even surpassing that legendary game in many ways:

'Okami' had style in spades with its ingenious cel-shaded graphics (the same applies to 'Viewtiful Joe' that I love just as much), a very interesting storyline full of engaging well-designed characters, imaginative memorable events and yet another example of a fantastic setting that combines a magical world, in this case the Japan of legends and folklore, with futuristic technology (later on in the game).

I could rant on and on about it but I think you get my drift: Outstanding Fantasy truly deserves the term/title 'Final'...

HaHa. That was a much better response than I was expecting. And ive been using this user name ever sense I played Okami. It was my favorite PS2 game. And really one of the few game where I did every little thing possible. And beat it like 10 times. It ranks up there as one of my favorite games next to MGS series, and Final Fantasy.

I used to be, until FF13 happened. It just rubs me the wrong way. It reeks of everything that was bad about VII, VIII, and X.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd kill to see them ditch this awful formula and return to their roots in terms of style. They did it with FFIX, and IX was pretty good.

Used to love Kingdom Hearts, too, but they keep procrastinating on that damned third numbered game! Filler game after filler game that adds nothing of any real value to the plot. They only put them out to milk the cash cow, and this fan has gotten tired of it. I'll buy and play Kingdom Hearts 3 because I want to finish the actual plot, but you'll never catch me with another one of those shitty handheld doggy treat games they force feed the fans.

Seriously Square, the PS3 is almost ready to cycle out and you haven't even produced the third KH game. WTF, man.

We have not seen KH3 because the director is trying to do too many games at a time. I want him to finish up vs13.

I think versus 13 will be very good for the final fantasy series and maybe give hope to us.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

Some of the old ones were good, but over time, FF just seems milked dry. I honestly don't see what else they can do with the franchise. Maybe I'll be proven wrong with the next release, but so far, FF is dieing...

I like Final Fantasy well enough, followed the series since the SNES days (hey I'm old but not ancient! Yeah.).

Can't stand Kingdom Hearts though, and before you say "Disney hater hur dur" it's mainly because I loathe Sora as a main character. Also keys are a ridiculous weapon. I don't care that they're enchanted magical doodads from dimension X. I don't care that they're sharpened to an axe point. I don't care that they're the destined weapons of the chosen avatars of dawn or what the hell ever. THEY ARE KEYS. KEYS OPEN LOCKS.

If I see a kid brandishing a giant key I know I can just knock them the hell down.

Anyway I'd rather Square got back to making more diverse games like it did in the early days. More Chrono games, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve (3rd Birthday does not exist), Romancing SaGa, etc.

Never going to happen of course, and there's an ugly rumour going around that FF13-2 was supposed to be the much talked about "Chrono Break" until they retooled it because the Final Fantasy name sells more.

Anyway I'd rather Square got back to making more diverse games like it did in the early days.

Everything you said is totally true! Chrono Trigger, both Parasite Eves, Xenogears, Vagrant Story and even the first Brave Fencer Musashi are among my most treasured games from times long gone (sniff)...

Once more shame on me for never really trying Chrono Cross, so I can't say anything about that one, the same as with all the Xenosaga parts. I was annoyed, even offended by 'Crystal Chronicles', I watched a few times when friends were enthusiastically playing it.

Could never understand why, it all looked and felt just bland, generic and uninteresting.

You're right, Sora DOES suck. Clown shoes and Keyblades. As I stated before, I used the game mainly as a 'Gummi Ship' design program, never wanting to get too involved in 3D modelling software. Always had the feeling of being too dumb to understand/learn to handle them :blush:.

I feel that Final Fantasy peaked at X. Some can argue that it may have even done it at 7 but I think X was the last one that I enjoyed playing. I was a beta tester on 11 and even though that game sucked countless hours of my life I never really felt like it was a FF game, just a game with a FF candy coating. I limped my way through FF 12 and enjoyed it on some levels because it felt like a mix of a MMORPG and a classic FF but ultimately I lost interest about 70 hours in and didn't even complete the game.

And don't even get me started on the last game. The game just bored me from the start. I never got into the story because from what I understood of it I didn't care and from what I didn't understand I wasn't intrigued enough to try to figure it out. The battle system felt forced just so that it was different and the dungeons were boring linear paths that gave me no enjoyment. Many games today are opening up the freedom for players to explore and develop their characters for a unique experience while I feel that FF is force feeding you the experience and making the characters over the top specific personas that if you don't connect with them you lose all interest in the game.

They need to step back and take all the great talent they have and use it to create a game that is more than simply updating the last game with better graphics and a oddly forced battle system. Final Fantasy has been one of my favorite game series of all time and I remember saving up $90 over the course of 6 months as a child to buy FF3 on the SNES so many years ago. I was enthralled by that game and played it over and over and over again for more than 200 + hours. Now I can barely be bothered to rent the latest game with my Gamefly subscription because I doubt I'll play the game more than 3 hours and be bored with it.

I love final fantasy, too. I've played (or watched my brothers when I was little and too bad to play them myself) almost every one except 13 (I don't have a playstation anymore :( ).

I absolutely LOVED FF12. I consider it to be one of the best. The combat system in that one was just awesome. I wish they stuck with that in FF13... though I noticed they kinda made a hybrid of ff12 and the old school random encounter system, so it's not all bad.

Though I gotta agree with people on here, even though I haven't played it, FF13 doesn't look that good :( I watched some videos and the characters just felt meh, and the cutscenes were meh... It was just (like Presto said) boring. I was saddened :(

Well from what I know about 13-2 they are changing like everything. You can free roam, You can travel time as you wish revisiting new places, It multiple endings, towns, etc, etc.

I honestly think they rushed 13 because MAJOR improvements like this seem like something that should have been implemented in the first place.

Well from what I know about 13-2 they are changing like everything. You can free roam' date=' You can travel time as you wish revisiting new places, It multiple endings, towns, etc, etc.

I honestly think they rushed 13 because MAJOR improvements like this seem like something that should have been implemented in the first place.

[/quote']

i might reconsider on 13-2 if they follow on that path. but honestly i've had enough on 13. now i just want FFvs 13. waited for the game for like years T.T

Well from what I know about 13-2 they are changing like everything. You can free roam' date=' You can travel time as you wish revisiting new places, It multiple endings, towns, etc, etc.

[/quote']

i might reconsider on 13-2 if they follow on that path. but honestly i've had enough on 13. now i just want FFvs 13. waited for the game for like years T.T

You're telling me.... I had the misfortune of learning about it back in '06.... Every year no new info... No release date.... No game play.... Than this year we get a taste yet nothing close to a release date....

And the worst part. Japan will get it first and I will have to try so damn hard to not spoil it by watching a walktrhough and staying away from any game forum that might have any info on it.

Well from what I know about 13-2 they are changing like everything. You can free roam' date=' You can travel time as you wish revisiting new places, It multiple endings, towns, etc, etc. [/quote']

See the time travel and multiple endings here give credibility to the rumor that this was going to be a Chrono game.

When has that ever been part of Final Fantasy? (Time kompression does not count!).

Also maybe I'm just a cynic but it seems to me pointless to make a time travel story about the Final Fantasy with the least interesting history of the entire series. Hell I still don't know what that Cocoon business was all about.

I absolutely LOVED FF12. I consider it to be one of the best. The combat system in that one was just awesome.

Lol so awesome it was broken. :)

Case in point, during the final boss fight I had everyone's best gear and weapons, and let loose two of my characters that had the Berserk gambits on, and they killed the boss within minutes before I could even control my main character and do something. I saw a cutscene and was like, "Oh, something's happening!" only to find out I was watching the ending of the game... :dodgy:

EDIT: Back on topic, I would say that as much as I like FF, I really wish they would focus their attention on some of their older and more obscure titles; I wouldn't mind a remake of Terranigma or Bushido Blade.

So after a little digging this is what is confirmed for 13-2 (just to clear up my other post)

-There are multiple endings and paths

-There is a true ending that you can try and obtain

-There is a system called the Historia Crux, where you can travel through time. When you gain a Time Fragment (there are 160), I believe you uncover another paradox.

-There is jumping

-Random battles are kinda back, but you can escape them, and before battle you can attack them with the Mog Clock system which gives you stat bonuses for the battle

-There will be a whole city's worth of mini-games and whatnot

-There are a lot of NPC's this time around with quests

-There are over 150 monsters to collect and you can customize them and even put visible accessories on them

-Environments are bigger

-There are dialogue options

-In battle, there are special attacks called "Feral Links" and do special attacks via Quick Time Events

-There is no longer a cap on the Crystarium

-There will still be a number of pre-rendered CG cutscenes, but less than what XIII had. Also, there are no pre-rendered in-game cutscenes. Now there's only in-game and pre-rendered CG cutscenes.

I absolutely LOVED FF12. I consider it to be one of the best. The combat system in that one was just awesome.

Case in point' date=' during the final boss fight I had everyone's best gear and weapons, and let loose two of my characters that had the Berserk gambits on, and they killed the boss within minutes before I could even control my main character and do something. I saw a cutscene and was like, "Oh, something's happening!" only to find out I was watching the ending of the game... :dodgy:

EDIT: Back on topic, I would say that as much as I like FF, I really wish they would focus their attention on some of their older and more obscure titles; I wouldn't mind a remake of Terranigma or Bushido Blade.

[/quote']

hahaha that is true... come to think of it, I did the same thing at the end :) Though, that seems like it happens in a lot of final fantasy's. I remember I played the end of my brother's FF10 and Yuna one shot the last boss with Holy :\

I sort of grew out of Final Fantasy I think. I loved them growing up, and to this day i'm odd in that my favorite int he series are VIII and IX, but the last seven or so years i've found myself more inetrested in western games. Bioware titles and Bethesda games mostly.

I put 3 years I recall fondly into XI. I The last FF I actually played all the way through was XII and I was a little disapointed with the political story, since I enjoy character stories most. Crisis Core, FFXIII, Dissida and such I played but never completed any of them. They just for soe reason couldn't hold my interest. Though I do want to finish XIII in time for -2.

I loved the Kingdom Hearts series, but only played One and two, and some of Chain of Memories. The latest titles I haven't really had any interest in.

Case in point' date=' during the final boss fight I had everyone's best gear and weapons, and let loose two of my characters that had the Berserk gambits on, and they killed the boss within minutes before I could even control my main character and do something. I saw a cutscene and was like, "Oh, something's happening!" only to find out I was watching the ending of the game... :dodgy:

[/quote']

hahaha that is true... come to think of it, I did the same thing at the end :) Though, that seems like it happens in a lot of final fantasy's. I remember I played the end of my brother's FF10 and Yuna one shot the last boss with Holy :\

Damn, I wish I had it that easy in FFX but overall I agree, the final boss fight wasn't too bad. IMO, FFXIII's final boss was a lot more challenging. Maybe I didn't set up my paradigms and crystariums correctly, but in truth I died quite a number of times during that fight. I admit I was too hasty at the beginning, but eventually I learned to be patient but that also meant dragging the fight along. And even then, I couldn't drag it too long otherwise the boss itself speeds up and does some ultimate attack. Yeah, either I screwed up in FFXIII or the final boss fight was actually meant to be that hard. Oh well, I beat the game eventually so that's all what matters to me.

I sort of grew out of Final Fantasy I think. I loved them growing up' date=' and to this day i'm odd in that my favorite int he series are VIII and IX, but the last seven or so years i've found myself more inetrested in western games. Bioware titles and Bethesda games mostly.

I put 3 years I recall fondly into XI. I The last FF I actually played all the way through was XII and I was a little disapointed with the political story, since I enjoy character stories most. Crisis Core, FFXIII, Dissida and such I played but never completed any of them. They just for soe reason couldn't hold my interest. Though I do want to finish XIII in time for -2.

I loved the Kingdom Hearts series, but only played One and two, and some of Chain of Memories. The latest titles I haven't really had any interest in.

[/quote']

I don't blame you. Final Fantasy has this way of attracting teens and a certain demographic of gamers, but for most people I know (including myself) we eventually kind of "grow out of it". I'm still into Final Fantasy and will play the games that come out, but I no longer rave and rant and eat up everything about it like I used to.

In all fairness, with the exception of maybe Dissidia, you really should finish Crisis Core and FFXIII. If you enjoyed FFVII then you'll like Crisis Core for its nostalgic value, plus it gives you personal insight on one of the most important side characters to ever surface on the Final Fantasy universe.

As for FFXIII, it's not that bad of a game as most people make it out to be. As long as you realize that Square-Enix was trying something new then you may (or perhaps, may not) learn to appreciate it for what it is. If anything, it is still a Final Fantasy game.

Dissidia... well, I'm on the same boat as you in that I tried playing the game and eventually quit. It's not that the game was boring or anything, but it's just that I realized that nearly close to the end of the game I screwed up in how I leveled up my characters to the point that I just couldn't beat the final boss. It was then I realized (albeit too late) that there was a way to powerlevel your characters. But I believe the NA version got nerfed so the powerlevel glitch no longer applies anyway. So my only solution is to delete my saves and completely start from scratch. But with my limited time as well as with all these new games coming out, I feel like I'll have to put that game on the backburner for now.

I won't say BIG, but I am a Fan of the series.

Now I have been wondering since It's been a while.

In FFXII Did Ashe had a thing for Vaan? Since in Revarent Wings I swear She mentioned to Penelope that she does but there was someone who feels more strongly for him...

I won't say BIG' date=' but I am a Fan of the series.

Now I have been wondering since It's been a while.

In FFXII Did Ashe had a thing for Vaan? Since in Revarent Wings I swear She mentioned to Penelope that she does but there was someone who feels more strongly for him...

[/quote']

It's been a while since I've played the game so I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right there weren't any major plot events that showed Ashe had feelings for Vaan. I can't even remember the slightest hint of it. The only romantic relationship I'm aware of is the possibility of Vaan x Penelo considering that they were childhood friends. And if anything, we're all aware of Ashe x Rasler. So if Ashe mentioned something about liking Vaan, it had to be feelings that grew over time between FFXII and Revenant Wings, and even then those feelings were probably of strong admiration (considering the events that unfolded), but sometimes could be construed as love. Also, when Ashe mentioned "someone", she was most likely referring to Penelo but not outright.

You guys make me want to play FF12 again..... But I can never find it at a store. I've been to like 4 gamestops. I saw one time they had the special metal case one but I did not have enough money for it than I never saw it again. Guess ill have to try amazon or something.

And trying to use a PS2 emulator hurts my brain.

You guys make me want to play FF12 again..... But I can never find it at a store. I've been to like 4 gamestops. I saw one time they had the special metal case one but I did not have enough money for it than I never saw it again. Guess ill have to try amazon or something.

And trying to use a PS2 emulator hurts my brain.

Not sure if you have a PS3 but if you do it should be backwards compatible with PS2 games, no? Unless you have a much newer PS3 (slim) model...

Lol it's ironic you say that you can't find FF12 anywhere. I'd say about 6 months ago electronic/game stores were overstocked with the Greatest Hits editions. If you have an EB/GameStop nearby, I'd check with them first, unless you really want brand new copies then either Amazon or eBay would be your best bet.