Is anyone else a big Final fantasy fan?

You guys make me want to play FF12 again..... But I can never find it at a store. I've been to like 4 gamestops. I saw one time they had the special metal case one but I did not have enough money for it than I never saw it again. Guess ill have to try amazon or something.

And trying to use a PS2 emulator hurts my brain.

Not sure if you have a PS3 but if you do it should be backwards compatible with PS2 games' date=' no? Unless you have a much newer PS3 (slim) model...

Lol it's ironic you say that you can't find FF12 anywhere. I'd say about 6 months ago electronic/game stores were overstocked with the Greatest Hits editions. If you have an EB/GameStop nearby, I'd check with them first, unless you really want brand new copies then either Amazon or eBay would be your best bet.

[/quote']

I still have my PS2. Just.... No controller. My brother stole it one day and I havent seen him sense (good riddens IMO). But maybe when I have some spare cash laying around ill go to a few more gamestops. I miss fran and ashe.

Well from what I know about 13-2 they are changing like everything. You can free roam' date=' You can travel time as you wish revisiting new places, It multiple endings, towns, etc, etc.

I honestly think they rushed 13 because MAJOR improvements like this seem like something that should have been implemented in the first place.

[/quote']

i might reconsider on 13-2 if they follow on that path. but honestly i've had enough on 13. now i just want FFvs 13. waited for the game for like years T.T

You're telling me.... I had the misfortune of learning about it back in '06.... Every year no new info... No release date.... No game play.... Than this year we get a taste yet nothing close to a release date....

And the worst part. Japan will get it first and I will have to try so damn hard to not spoil it by watching a walktrhough and staying away from any game forum that might have any info on it.

i know what you mean!! i was so hyped up about that game and was greatly disappointed that it didnt come out when it should have.

I absolutely LOVED FF12. I consider it to be one of the best. The combat system in that one was just awesome.

Lol so awesome it was broken. :)

Case in point' date=' during the final boss fight I had everyone's best gear and weapons, and let loose two of my characters that had the Berserk gambits on, and they killed the boss within minutes before I could even control my main character and do something. I saw a cutscene and was like, "Oh, something's happening!" only to find out I was watching the ending of the game... :dodgy:

EDIT: Back on topic, I would say that as much as I like FF, I really wish they would focus their attention on some of their older and more obscure titles; I wouldn't mind a remake of Terranigma or Bushido Blade.

[/quote']

about that, i too made a quick work of the final boss but after playing on awhile i came to a realization that the final boss isnt the best boss around. what i mean is you might wanna try hunting for marks. these boss battles made the final boss in the storyline look outright dumb. they are WAAY harder and believe me its true when when i got 3 guys with 9999 hp get killed on the way to the hunt itself.

on another note, am i the only one enjoying the gambit system? loved the system. though it makes me lazy, i literally played a significant amount of the game holding the controller with just one hand during random battles or even bosses

I've only played FFX, but I indeed am a fan of the series. I've watch the FFVII Advent Children movie. I wish they would start remaking FFVII and FFVIII. I also have watched the cutscenes for FFXIII so I could understand the story.

FFXIII Versus looks really promising! I did play the KH games, and really liked the combat system it offered.

A FFVII remake has always been something people wanted, but honestly something tells me Square-Enix won't be doing it for the sake of the cult-following and value of the original title, just like how we won't see a true, HD rendition of the all-time classic, Chrono Trigger. If anything, should Square-Enix decide to remake FFVII, they'll either wait for the PS4 (for the new, updated hardware capabilities), or until they finalize their new Luminous engine. A FFVII remake is going to be so ambitious that I can see Square-Enix going to great lengths to make sure they don't blunder it.

Honestly, if they'll feel so stressed out about it, I'd rather have them remake (as in, fully-fleshed out 3D polygonal world) of FFI through FFVI. Especially FFVI. I liked that one. :)

Oh I also forgot to mention that I played the FF Tactics Advance game too, which was quite enjoyable. Yeah I don't think we will see a FFVII remake either (It would probably had been out already). Square just seems to have too much on their agenda, to just remake a game.

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy fan. My favorites were all those that were VI-X. I always praised Final Fantasy games for trying new things but even when trying new things they still "felt" like Final Fantasy games. Ever since FFX-2 came around it slowly started to lose that feeling. This is natural however, since they lost several key members of the original Final Fantasy team including Hironobu Sakaguchi who was pretty much the founding father of the Final Fantasy series. The games nowadays just kinda seem like their a shadow of their former self. I remember reading a review of FF 13 that said "What do you take when you remove all the RPG elements out of an RPG? You get Final Fantasy XIII." which I felt was a pretty accurate description of the game. I was losing faith in the team when FF 12 came out and with the disaster that was FF 13 I've pretty much lost most hope that they will ever create a real Final Fantasy again. I'd love to be proved wrong but I doubt it'll happen.

The new games are kinda like bad movie sequels that aren't done by the same director. I think they're losing touch. We'll see I guess.

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy fan. My favorites were all those that were VI-X. I always praised Final Fantasy games for trying new things but even when trying new things they still "felt" like Final Fantasy games. Ever since FFX-2 came around it slowly started to lose that feeling. This is natural however' date=' since they lost several key members of the original Final Fantasy team including Hironobu Sakaguchi who was pretty much the founding father of the Final Fantasy series. The games nowadays just kinda seem like their a shadow of their former self. I remember reading a review of FF 13 that said "What do you take when you remove all the RPG elements out of an RPG? You get Final Fantasy XIII." which I felt was a pretty accurate description of the game. I was losing faith in the team when FF 12 came out and with the disaster that was FF 13 I've pretty much lost most hope that they will ever create a real Final Fantasy again. I'd love to be proved wrong but I doubt it'll happen.

The new games are kinda like bad movie sequels that aren't done by the same director. I think they're losing touch. We'll see I guess.

[/quote']

Sorry if I maybe missed it in your post or perhaps it was supposed to be implied, but have you actually tried playing FFXIII? Personally, I think many of the reviews for the game are just too unfair. I've played FFXIII from start to finish and I can say, without a doubt, it's a Final Fantasy game. It's just a DIFFERENT Final Fantasy game, and at its core, it's a NON-traditional RPG game. Sure, it felt pretty linear for a majority of the game but near the end once places open up there's some (albeit minor) exploration available. Post-endgame, there are monster quests to take up on. I admit that the scope of the game was rather focused and restricting, but honestly I thought it was good enough for what it was. And I'm kind of glad they did it that way, otherwise they could have inappropriately deviated quite far given the situation the characters were in. If its any consolation, it seems like FFXIII-2 has redeemed itself by giving players the ability to do more exploration and side-quests that weren't as prevalent in the original.

If anything, there is Final Fantasy Type-0 to look forward to. In terms of lore, it seems like your old-school, familiar type of Final Fantasy. Gameplay, however, looks a bit more action-oriented but I'm sure there's still that turn-based/ATB battle system. Not much gameplay with Final Fantasy XIII Versus but from what I've seen it looks like a modified version of FFXIII, but we can only hope that there will be more RPG elements to it.

@ HentaiGnome, I sorry to burst your bubble but coming from all FFs to XIII (including XI!), I felt XIII was the biggest letdown out of all the FF series. Sure, it was trying to be a different RPG but it wasn't as great. For me, FF is about the story and the believability of the characters. XIII didn't do that for me. All the characters were fundamentally flawed/ridiculously characterised (seriously I can't stand Fang's voice. Aussies ARE NOT LIKE THAT!) in one way or another. I wouldn't mind the linearity if they did the story right. Unfortunately, they didn't and I felt detached from the experience.

Added to the fact, FF is about tactics and having that stupid Auto-Battle button just reinforces that Square lost what was the passion of FF. Basically, they see it as a money-making series instead of the story and passion of the old. There is nothing in XIII that says it's great. Type-0 will be the FFXIII I would be looking forward for. Plus Type-0 is made by the same team that did Kingdom Hearts, I'm looking forward to that.

Shit. For a second I started to get a decent glimmer of hope and quickly googled "Final Fantasy Type-0" only to pull up the trailer and see it said "PSP Exclusive" at which point I just simply didn't watch the trailer.

It's a shame that all this talk about it being "classic" RPG and such yet the only games that feel like "classic" RPG's don't ever make it to consoles anymore. They're on either the DS or the PSP. I'm 25. If I'm not at my house I'm at work. If I'm not at work or my house I'm with friends. I don't see any reason to spend $150 dollars on a portable device to play games that should be coming out for the PS3/360. I mean it's not like I have time to play them at work or anything. And when I get home I'd rather play a game on a screen larger than 6 inches.

This whole trend for good RPG's going to PSP and DS is starting to get me pissed. I've spent years waiting for a new Suikoden only for me to almost hyperventilate (lol) when they announced the next game AND THEN.....!!!!!!!!

PSP exclusive.

FUCK U KONAMI!!! You just equipped the True Rune of DOUCHEBAGGERY!

Not a problem, it's okay to have opinions and to disagree. If I came off as if I was being rude to anyone, then I'm sorry, it was never my intention.

I do agree that FFXIII is perhaps the weakest Final Fantasy yet (obviously not including the online MMORPGs, aka FFXI and FFXIV) but it does "grind my gears" when I hear these game reviewers stating harsh words like, "Take out the RPG elements in an RPG game and you get Final Fantasy XIII" and such. I mean, if they want to be literal about it then just about 90% of all the RPG video games out there are pretty much screwed because they (in more ways than one) no longer follow the old-school, traditional RPG style like Dungeons and Dragons, or who knows what. Sometimes, I feel like people bash things just for the sake of bashing.

I mean' date=' if they want to be literal about it then just about 90% of all the RPG video games out there are pretty much screwed because they (in more ways than one) no longer follow the old-school, traditional RPG style like Dungeons and Dragons, or who knows what. Sometimes, I feel like people bash things just for the sake of bashing.

[/quote']

I would agree with this. It's a sad state of affairs the RPG genre is in altogether. Most new RPG's that are released now have dumbed down the classic DnD mechanics to "appeal to a wider audience". Great. So I lost customization and character advancement which are huge staples of the genre because you wanted it to "appeal to a wider audience"? Awesome...why don't you just remove the story part so we don't have to role play and throw some guns in there, and make it twitch based too since that's what "appeals to a wider audience". What's that you say? Yes those games are already out there....and NONE OF THEM ARE ROLE PLAYING GAMES's!!! Arghhh!

/end of mental breakdown

But yea. My rant about dumbed down RPG's aside, I would never bash a game just for the sake of bashing. Especially the Final Fantasy series which is, without doubt, the most influential video games I've had the experience of playing in my life. I guess its possible I hold them in such a high regard that seeing the newer titles slowly removing what I'd consider "staples" of the genre (things that have been with the series since the beginning or through most of its incarnations) I just can't help but feel they're taking the series in the wrong direction.

With that said I have looked up information on the sequel to FFXIII and I suppose if I rent it and I feel it's worth buying I may go back and attempt to finish FFXIII just for the sake of continuity. The fact that I have beaten every Final Fantasy I've played until I played FFXII was just a huge blow to my respect for the series. I had never played a Final Fantasy that I had got bored with before....and it just keeps feeling like they've never recovered since.

Shit. For a second I started to get a decent glimmer of hope and quickly googled "Final Fantasy Type-0" only to pull up the trailer and see it said "PSP Exclusive" at which point I just simply didn't watch the trailer.

It's a shame that all this talk about it being "classic" RPG and such yet the only games that feel like "classic" RPG's don't ever make it to consoles anymore. They're on either the DS or the PSP. I'm 25. If I'm not at my house I'm at work. If I'm not at work or my house I'm with friends. I don't see any reason to spend $150 dollars on a portable device to play games that should be coming out for the PS3/360. I mean it's not like I have time to play them at work or anything. And when I get home I'd rather play a game on a screen larger than 6 inches.

This whole trend for good RPG's going to PSP and DS is starting to get me pissed. I've spent years waiting for a new Suikoden only for me to almost hyperventilate (lol) when they announced the next game AND THEN.....!!!!!!!!

PSP exclusive.

FUCK U KONAMI!!! You just equipped the True Rune of DOUCHEBAGGERY!

Yeah' date=' it kind of sucks that a lot of RPGs are going to the handhelds. Personally, I own a PSP so it's not TOO bad, but I still see a majority of RPGs being released on the DS as opposed to the PSP, which irritates me because I feel the PSP is a much better handheld to support those kinds of games. Case in point, I felt that Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, and the FFI, FFII, and FFIV remakes looked really vibrant and crisp on the PSP. Sure, the PSP doesn't have all that tablet and 3D shizzles that the DS has, but for what it does I think it does pretty damn good lol. I'm also in my 20s, and like most people our age, we barely have enough time to play games and when we do, it's usually at home anyway, so I can see where it's almost pointless to play games on a handheld. It's hard to argue, though, because we have to look at it from the perspective of the developers. First, they're Japanese. Second, because they're Japanese, their current cultural lifestyle shows that they're always on the move, which is why mobile phones and handhelds are very popular over there. If these anime RPGs that we enjoy were made by NA/EU developers, they would most likely make it to the consoles instead, or at the very least, to the Apple/Android store for mobile phones.

I mean' date=' if they want to be literal about it then just about 90% of all the RPG video games out there are pretty much screwed because they (in more ways than one) no longer follow the old-school, traditional RPG style like Dungeons and Dragons, or who knows what. Sometimes, I feel like people bash things just for the sake of bashing.

[/quote']

I would agree with this. It's a sad state of affairs the RPG genre is in altogether. Most new RPG's that are released now have dumbed down the classic DnD mechanics to "appeal to a wider audience". Great. So I lost customization and character advancement which are huge staples of the genre because you wanted it to "appeal to a wider audience"? Awesome...why don't you just remove the story part so we don't have to role play and throw some guns in there, and make it twitch based too since that's what "appeals to a wider audience". What's that you say? Yes those games are already out there....and NONE OF THEM ARE ROLE PLAYING GAMES's!!! Arghhh!

/end of mental breakdown

But yea. My rant about dumbed down RPG's aside, I would never bash a game just for the sake of bashing. Especially the Final Fantasy series which is, without doubt, the most influential video games I've had the experience of playing in my life. I guess its possible I hold them in such a high regard that seeing the newer titles slowly removing what I'd consider "staples" of the genre (things that have been with the series since the beginning or through most of its incarnations) I just can't help but feel they're taking the series in the wrong direction.

With that said I have looked up information on the sequel to FFXIII and I suppose if I rent it and I feel it's worth buying I may go back and attempt to finish FFXIII just for the sake of continuity. The fact that I have beaten every Final Fantasy I've played until I played FFXII was just a huge blow to my respect for the series. I had never played a Final Fantasy that I had got bored with before....and it just keeps feeling like they've never recovered since.

I can see your frustration and I would be a hypocrite if I said that I wasn't frustrated in some ways with the recent FF games. We're upset because we actually care. We care enough to see that the FF franchise isn't as strong as it used to be and it almost seems like it's just getting worse. We just have to stay positive and hope that Square-Enix is simply using this opportunity to "test the waters" with various things until they find the equilibrium that will once again appease both the old-school fans and the newcomers.

Welp..... It seems Final fantasy is jumping on the whole Incomplete game train. 13-2 is seeming to have tons on DLC. Lightning is apparently going to be a DLC character. Doungeons will be DLC. It's utter bull shit.

But all the people that play the game and buy the dlc are gunna be like "well its ONLY 10$ what can't afford that?" When they are completely overlooking how stupid this is.

Times like this I wish it was on PC so I could buy the game. And just download the crap they are trying to rip you off with.

Than I'm also looking at vs13. What if they also jump on the DLC train. It could completely ruin a game I've been waiting almost 6 years for.

Stupid greedy companies.

Evilokami I don't want to get all businessy on you or anything but you do realize why every company is going the DLC route right? Companies like Gamestop are making billions of dollars off game developers products by "buy backs" then selling them for $5 cheaper and consumers just buy the cheaper copy without thinking. This continues over and over again and the people making the biggest profit is Gamestop NOT the developers. With DLC developers can guarantee profit since DLC cannot be traded. Thus people that buy used games have to pay devs for DLC. Want to stop development from being forced to go the DLC route to actually get paid for their work? Then make it illegal to sell used video games. Otherwise DLC is here to stay.

Evilokami I don't want to get all businessy on you or anything but you do realize why every company is going the DLC route right? Companies like Gamestop are making billions of dollars off game developers products by "buy backs" then selling them for $5 cheaper and consumers just buy the cheaper copy without thinking. This continues over and over again and the people making the biggest profit is Gamestop NOT the developers. With DLC developers can guarantee profit since DLC cannot be traded. Thus people that buy used games have to pay devs for DLC. Want to stop development from being forced to go the DLC route to actually get paid for their work? Then make it illegal to sell used video games. Otherwise DLC is here to stay.

I can understand DLC of something extra. something that was not there in the first place.

But DLC in most games are already in the game. It's like if you buy a house and you have to key to every room except for a few. You have to go and buy the key to those rooms even tho you own the house.

DLC like in oblivion where it added a whole new world and new quests. That is fine. But adding a doungeon that will take an hour to beat is stupid.

I can understand DLC of something extra. something that was not there in the first place.

But DLC in most games are already in the game. It's like if you buy a house and you have to key to every room except for a few. You have to go and buy the key to those rooms even tho you own the house.

DLC like in oblivion where it added a whole new world and new quests. That is fine. But adding a doungeon that will take an hour to beat is stupid.

Yea but see they're losing SO much money because of the Used Game Sales that the only way they can make up that profit is by doing underhanded things like that to make up for the mass loss in profit. Just think...assuming for a moment there's 10 people that want to buy a game. And they just so happen to buy the same game during different months. The first person buys a new copy then brings the game back to gamestop and trades it in. The next person comes in a month later and buys the used copy' date=' but then trades it in a month later and the next guy buys that used copy. This happens for the other 8 people. As far as the devs are concerned they sold one copy of the game for $60. Yet Gamestop sold 9 used copies and it netted them $540. That's Gamestop profit. None of it has gone to help the developers.

So what do they do? They say okay guys we as the developers are losing money, yet Gamestop is spitting out mass revenue increases while we're showing net loses. Used game sales are through the roof while our sales are plummeting. What do we do? Oh hey..we can release the game, then charge to unlock the content. That way everytime someone buys the game used...even though they're paying Gamestop to buy our game...they then actually have to pay us to play it! Problem solved!

Like I said. It's the used game system. If developers wouldn't be suffering due to everyone buying used copies this wouldn't be an issue. Just remember that if you buy a used game you're [b']NOT [/b]supporting the developers. You're supporting Gamestop.

Yea but see they're losing SO much money because of the Used Game Sales that the only way they can make up that profit is by doing underhanded things like that to make up for the mass loss in profit. Just think...assuming for a moment there's 10 people that want to buy a game. And they just so happen to buy the same game during different months. The first person buys a new copy then brings the game back to gamestop and trades it in. The next person comes in a month later and buys the used copy' date=' but then trades it in a month later and the next guy buys that used copy. This happens for the other 8 people. As far as the devs are concerned they sold one copy of the game for $60. Yet Gamestop sold 9 used copies and it netted them $540. That's Gamestop profit. None of it has gone to help the developers.

So what do they do? They say okay guys we as the developers are losing money, yet Gamestop is spitting out mass revenue increases while we're showing net loses. Used game sales are through the roof while our sales are plummeting. What do we do? Oh hey..we can release the game, then charge to unlock the content. That way everytime someone buys the game used...even though they're paying Gamestop to buy our game...they then actually have to pay us to play it! Problem solved!

Like I said. It's the used game system. If developers wouldn't be suffering due to everyone buying used copies this wouldn't be an issue. Just remember that if you buy a used game you're [b']NOT [/b]supporting the developers. You're supporting Gamestop.

I know the used games sales take away money from the game developers. Hell I buy from gamestop. But I always buy new. But It's still not fair I gotta pay $65 for an incompete game. Than dump another 20+ for DLC.

If they had something that would give people that bought it new like a 1 free DLC pass or something I would be a little happier. I know some games are going with that "online pass" for people that buy a game used.

If they had something that would give people that bought it new like a 1 free DLC pass or something I would be a little happier. I know some games are going with that "online pass" for people that buy a game used.

I can definitely see how it's annoying and I'd agree. Perhaps they will perfect their technique. I know alot of newer RPG's and games have been doing the "reserve the game and get the DLC for free" or the limited edition version will have the DLC with it. Either way it would be nice if they'd find a way to separate the new game buyers and the ones paying Gamestop.

To be honest, I don't see the point of DLC other than the points of making money and having something to 'buy you over'. If the point is to buy you over, then it should be completely different yet still be offered once the game is over a period of time. Look at the Witcher 2. There were a couple of DLCs exclusive only to be released after the 2.0 patch. That is how you do DLCs to buy you over.

If it is to make money, then they should take a leaf out of Bethesda's major DLC packs or Valkyria Chronicle's DLC mission packs. Those took more time and hours to do.

I'm not expecting a lot from FFXIII-2 as it is still a dumbed-down game at heart. If they had listened to the criticisms, then I expect it to be similar to FFX where there is still that RPG standard but not as dumbed down as thought. However, given the screens and excerpts from the developers, I am giving up on Final Fantasy which is a shame. And given how true JRPG is dying as breed (Studio Tales has been folded and others are just dumbing down their RPG status), it is sad to think these used to be held in high regard once.

Some info regarding the latest DLCs for FFXIII-2:

http://andriasang.com/comzew/ffxiii2_dlc/

And an interesting tidbit about tri-Ace's involvement with FFXIII-2:

http://andriasang.com/comzen/ffxiii2_triace/

I love tri ace. That link showed pictures from RoF. which was a good game... That I never beat. I should get around to that.

But Im already getting the costume for the preorder. Unless something just god like is released I may not even bother with DLC.

• 11 years later...