Roleplaying: Is it possible to do all quest lines with one character?

rawr22

My first character when Skyrim came out was a good mage, so I did the collage, dragonborn, and civil war quests and then felt I couldn't really do any more.  Why would Arch Mage, Slayer of Dragons, and hero of Skyrim suddenly become a lowly thief and join the thieves guild?  I felt I had to start another character in order to do the thieves guild and dark brotherhood quests.

I think it may be possible if you pre-plan you quest order: Do civil war/dawnguard, retire from the army and fall to a life of crime with thieves guild, progress to killing with the dark brotherhood, find out you are Dragonborn and have a change of heart, help people with the companions before deciding to learn magic with the college in order to compliment your combat skills.   The problem is stick to such a strict order is hardly immersive and is really boring if you do it the same way each playthrough.

How do you guys roleplay multiple quest lines with one character?  Or do you pretty much have to start a new char to do different parts of the game?  Are there any mods that help?

Same question goes for Oblivion.

I usually stick to 1 guild per character or the RP gets kinda rediculous. Honestly the way the mages guild is set up most any character can join since being arch mage is just a little title given for your sevice to the college and less of a standing at the college. All of the other guild have some kind of moral dilemma or forbidden action that needs to be taken to proceed to the head of the guild so its harder to do all of them and not lose your characters individuality.

It's best to get a mod that moves the gems aswell if your playing a thief so you dont have to join every group in skyrim to finish that quest.

The mod 'in your shadow' is also useful for cleanly stopping your character from becoming the dragonborn. main quest end at dragon rising (you don't absorb the dovah's sil after killing it) and the word walls can't be read. Did a could of runs with it was pretty fun. I don't use shouts anyway so It didn't make that big of a difference for me.

The collage is a grey area because you HAVE to go there for info on the Elder Scroll. That being said on the flip side it would be funny as hell to get turned away due to utter lack of magical talent (like most of my characters) and tell parthanaax (SP) "they wouldn't let me in"

You don't HAVE to go there ever.... you can go straight to septimus' outpost. You can even start septimus' quest without starting the main quest the level requirement is 15, I believe. In a lot of my playthroughs my characters haven't started any of the main or guild quests but have elder scrolls strapped to their backs. Immersive creatures adds a lot of content to the sea of ghosts so I'm usually out there exploring (if I don't have frostfall on).

I join all factions. Story ties in well. At the beginning character helps out in river wood. Goes to whiterun finds out they maybe dragonborn. Doesn't care to be the savior of the world because nobody is paying. Join the companions to help raise some money to get a house but not much money isn't comn in fast enough main quest leads you to riften where u join the thieves guild to really rank in the money. While still doing jobs for companions. Then the dark brotherhood tries to have you killed do you try to find a way to get there attention by stealing a contract. You make a choice. Money or honor.(this will also lead you to riften) You progress main quest further yet trying to avoid the college you end up there to get a treasure Barried in sarthal and or to find elder scroll or moth priest or azuras star or to gain access to information or skills like alteration to turn iron into gold. (Non magic users gain access with a shout demo) Then oh look you end up in every faction I just complete them in different orders depending on where each quest leads me be it Main or Radiant. I roleplay by keeping being dragonborn quiet because folks are trying to kill me. Thalmor And cultist. Putting self before the urgency of the main quest makes this possible. Don't have to be evil just self consumed.... after enough dragon attacks and loseing a follower in to a dragon... you get the gravity a things soon enough. All in all you tired of the war time to help end it. (Kill a certain powerful person while in darkbrotherhood which will help your cause)

I play my 4th Charakter now. None of them is the Dragonborn.

Maybe one da I'll do a heroic bearded nord-dude with a giant axe who eats dragons for breakfast and slays alduin in the end.

But for now I have a not not even 2 characters who did the same questlines. That is also the reason why I haven't had a skyrimchar that passed lv 40 in a while ^^

Some day I'll also play a insane bad guy that kills people for fun and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll get someday the feeling that I have to play as a mage and then I'll visit that damn college.

EDIT: Sometimes I wish I would be one of these people who just does everything with the same char and and has an almighty half-god in the end.
But I just CAN'T do it x)

hello people, I hope you can understand everything!

what is the wage skyrim? is wage to be at the end of the main queste a stupid hero. you fight for justice and to preserve the peace, and what you get for it, you destroy the dragon threat, and what you get for it?
what about "tibet septim" a dragonblood, he became the emperor of Tamriel! not receive this you should wage as dragonblood.

german \ deutsch !

hallo leute , ich hoffe ihr könnt alles verstehen !

was ist der lohn in skyrim ? der lohn ist , am ende der hauptqueste ein dummer held zu sein . du kämpfst für gerechtigkeit und um den frieden zu wahren und was bekommst du dafür , du vernichtest die drachenbedrohung und was bekommst du dafür ?
was war mit " tiber septim " einem drachenblut , er wurde zum kaiser von tamriel ! solltest du als drachenblut nicht auch diesen lohn erhalten .

Well current playthrough finished:

1. Dark Brotherhood - Not that great. But setting up Stealth Archer is easy with their gear.

2. Thieves Guild - I love some of the places, but the side missions are boring. Nightingale Bow and suit is useful.

3. Bards College - Just some dungeon crawl here and there, the lack of 'bard' activity makes it a joke faction.

4. Stormcloaks - Get into fort, kill everyone - was fun when I summoned Odaviing the Dragon for help.

5. Main Quest - was OK until dragons turn into HP sponge. Dragon Priest Mask is excellent for casting.

6. Companions - Too damn easy and being a werewolf is a drawback, not an advantage.

I'm halfway past Mage's Guild, doesnt seem to be anything special, but 75 Destruction spell is pretty OP.

what is the wage skyrim? is wage to be at the end of the main queste a stupid hero. you fight for justice and to preserve the peace, and what you get for it, you destroy the dragon threat, and what you get for it?

what about "tibet septim" a dragonblood, he became the emperor of Tamriel! not receive this you should wage as dragonblood.

german \ deutsch !

was ist der lohn in skyrim ? der lohn ist , am ende der hauptqueste ein dummer held zu sein . du kämpfst für gerechtigkeit und um den frieden zu wahren und was bekommst du dafür , du vernichtest die drachenbedrohung und was bekommst du dafür ?

was war mit " tiber septim " einem drachenblut , er wurde zum kaiser von tamriel ! solltest du als drachenblut nicht auch diesen lohn erhalten .

Die Umstände sind allerdings unterschiedlich; du musst bedenken, dass zu Zeiten von Tiber Septim es noch keinen Kaiser gab und seine Ernennung zum ersten Kaiser Tamriels damit die dritte Ära eigneleitet hat.

In 4E 200, sprich in der Gegenwart von Skyrim, gibt es schon einen Kaiser. Auch wenn die Vernichtung Alduin's eine große Tat ist, war es doch nicht Weltbewegend genug, als dass dadurch eine ganz neue Ära eingeleitet werden würde, da die Verhältnisse noch immer gleich blieben.

Des weiterem solltest du im Hinterkopf behalten, dass Skyrim an eine nordische Denkweise angelegt ist, und dadurch ist das Held-werden, das in Legenden und Liedern besungen und gepriesen werden, eine größere Belohnung als ein schlichter Titel.

-----

You have to consider various things here: Tiber Septim was the first emporer; there was no one before him, and by becoming emporer he started an entire new era.

In the present of Skyrim (4E 200) there already is an emporer. Even though defeating Alduin was definitely an important feat, it wasn't worldshaking enough to begin a whole new era, since the political relations remained untouched.

You also have to keep in mind that Skyrim is based on nordic thinking, in which becoming a hero who has several songs and legends that sing about his/her heroic feats is a greater reward than a mere title.

german \ deutsch !

Die Umstände sind allerdings unterschiedlich; du musst bedenken, dass zu Zeiten von Tiber Septim es noch keinen Kaiser gab und seine Ernennung zum ersten Kaiser Tamriels damit die dritte Ära eigneleitet hat.

In 4E 200, sprich in der Gegenwart von Skyrim, gibt es schon einen Kaiser. Auch wenn die Vernichtung Alduin's eine große Tat ist, war es doch nicht Weltbewegend genug, als dass dadurch eine ganz neue Ära eingeleitet werden würde, da die Verhältnisse noch immer gleich blieben.

Des weiterem solltest du im Hinterkopf behalten, dass Skyrim an eine nordische Denkweise angelegt ist, und dadurch ist das Held-werden, das in Legenden und Liedern besungen und gepriesen werden, eine größere Belohnung als ein schlichter Titel.

-----

You have to consider various things here: Tiber Septim was the first emporer; there was no one before him, and by becoming emporer he started an entire new era.

In the present of Skyrim (4E 200) there already is an emporer. Even though defeating Alduin was definitely an important feat, it wasn't worldshaking enough to begin a whole new era, since the political relations remained untouched.

You also have to keep in mind that Skyrim is based on nordic thinking, in which becoming a hero who has several songs and legends that sing about his/her heroic feats is a greater reward than a mere title.

this is a joke, to destroy Alduin was nothing worldshaking?

that has not even been finished, "Tiber Septim"! because the old North have even banned it. we spin once a little further, what would happen if Alduin would not be destroyed, then Alduin would destroy all of Tamriel and the humanity would have ceased to exist.

and there you should find that your heroics becoming only sung in songs. Thanks also pretty sure I can do without full!

german \ deutsch !

das ist ein witz , Alduin zu vernichten war nichts weltbewegendes ?

das hat ja nicht mal "Tiber Septim " fertig gebracht ! denn die alten nord haben ihn ja verbannt . spinnen wir einmal ein bißchen weiter , was würde geschehen , wenn Alduin nicht vernichtet würde , dann hätte Alduin ganz tamriel zerstört und die menschheit hätte aufgehört zu existieren .

und da findest du das deine heldentat nur in liedern besungen werdenen sollten . dank auch schön darauf kann ich voll verzichten !

this is a joke, to destroy Alduin was nothing worldshaking?

that has not even been finished, "Tiber Septim"! because the old North have even banned it. we spin once a little further, what would happen if Alduin would not be destroyed, then Alduin would destroy all of Tamriel and the humanity would have ceased to exist.

and there you should find that your heroics becoming only sung in songs. Thanks also pretty sure I can do without full!

german \ deutsch !

das ist ein witz , Alduin zu vernichten war nichts weltbewegendes ?

das hat ja nicht mal "Tiber Septim " fertig gebracht ! denn die alten nord haben ihn ja verbannt . spinnen wir einmal ein bißchen weiter , was würde geschehen , wenn Alduin nicht vernichtet würde , dann hätte Alduin ganz tamriel zerstört und die menschheit hätte aufgehört zu existieren .

und da findest du das deine heldentat nur in liedern besungen werdenen sollten . dank auch schön darauf kann ich voll verzichten !

Das hast du ein wenig missverstanden. Mit "weltbewegendes" meinte ich hauptsächlich, dass sich die Welt danach grundlegend verändert; nach Alduins Tod allerdings geht alles weiter wie zuvor. Die Welt ist gerettet, aber sie ist immernoch die selbe.

Des weiteren sagte ich nicht, dass ich nur Lieder und Legenden möchte, der Hintergrund zu Skyrim legt dies aber nahe.

---

You got that wrong. By "worldshaking" I mainly ment that the world changed basicly; after Alduin's death though every remaind as it was. It was saved, but it's still the same.

Also you have to keep in mind that I didn't say that I myself want tales and legends as reword, though the background of Skyrim is closely connected to that.

• 3 months later...

I found this looking for dragon priest mods so I'm necro posting it muahaha!... cause I've things to share you know... and also I'm roleplaying a necromancer, so I have to think like one and resurrect dead things...

Currently I have 4 characters

-My main one is Alice, a mix of spellsword, battlemage and bladedancer... She's the same as she was in Oblivion, only in the roleplay story, she's Sheogorath too, with a bad case of memory loss that she inflicted upon herself in order to have some fun. She's very kind and generous, always helping those in need and blasting the crap out of unpleasant people (oooh fire!!... KAbOOm!!)... Also, she always had a thing for madness, a good kind of madness, creativity, imagination and cheese it is... so playing with people's heads is also fun...(mmm... brain pie!!). She has a longer roleplay backstory going back to her mortal days as the daughter of a rich family who decided to go on adventuring... perhaps, some day I'll make her fictional sister appear in a story as well...

-I also wanted to make a Paladin... a Nord one, blonde looking guy, shining in heavy armor. Also a good guy, perhaps too good. In fact he's so good he's full of it. One can get tired of so much self-righteousness. But he's a prince on a white horse so what else could be expected... Has a fondness for heavy armor, blades and shields... crossbows occasionally and of course, restoration, the school of Faith.

-Then there's my necromancer... one hell of a headache to create. Vanilla necromancy sucks so I had to get a ton of mods like enhanced perks and I'm thinking of a certain "Undeath" mod that let's you be a Lich ( :D) Her name is Alma, Spanish for Soul, possibly roleplaying the idea of making her be known as "Diilsyl" which would be a dragon tongue mixture meaning "Undead Soul" according to some quick google research on dragon tongue. Just love the look of dragon priests... Despite the death, I still made her cute, but dark looking. Her motivation is not evil, but power and knowledge with domain over live and death itself, and she'll do whatever it takes to get it, no matter who stands in the way.

Had to mix, reanimation, healing, frost destruction, poison and a mod that allows the use of staves actually to be useful along with a crapload of other gameplay changes, plus a mod that allowed me to bound a dagger to the left hand via hotkeys. Still need to poison it manually on right hand though.

-And my final one is the least serious of them all. My berserker druid. I made her to experience the assassin way and some of the sex mods in here. She's THE ONLY ONE who uses them. I disable them all for the others

For me it was never about the sex, it was always about the story. I can't have fun without the roleplay. So her backstory is she's a berserker druid. Like the original berserkers in viking culture, some of them used to run naked into battle, screaming and enraged. She goes around naked too, with some gear to kill of course. Mostly, a bow shooting poison from a hidden location. Then she runs into battle dual wielding axes. Sometimes when nature calls, she can transform into a spirit of nature or her werewolf self. Background story; trained from an early age to be a berserker and live the way these warriors do; naked and savage. As she uses them sex mods, she knows her body is a weapon and a tool, so she doesn't care much for exhibiting it, and she's not afraid to use it. Of course she had to be bisexual

No weird stuff here, only immersion mods.

As you see it can get weird as my main character doesn't like to kill innocent people or stealing, so the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild are very unpleasant places... yet the quests found me anyway... will do them with a frowny face, and will do it for the shinies... (oooh the shinies!!) ...aaand because she likes to poke around other people's business (What's this "brotherhood" about??)

I'm still thinking what I'm going to do with the Paladin. His first idea would be to destroy the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild... well actually the better choice would be to turn them over to justice but you can't do that in the game can you? And what about the College? he only knows restoration but that doesn't make him a mage... And he definitely wouldn't like to be a werewolf or a vampire. What to to with those quests then?... getting the cure? Still feels like it breaks the lore a bit, to have been one of these creatures...

Alma doesn't care as long as it wields her power. The companions questline is a bit out of her element though, bunch of brutes...and thieves are just so beneath her and her mastery of the dark arts...

And the nude tribal warrioress... The funny thing is, I think despite the sex thing, as a serious character, shes the one who has least trouble fitting in everywhere...

Putting it all together...

I think Bethesda seriously needs to put a way to REJECT quests other than "not talking to people" in their next games

That way you can actually say NO to some ugly quests that involve killing your folks for example, and you'll be rejected from some places if you don't measure up to their talent requirements, you could still help but perhaps another way, and perhaps there could be an option to plea in case you still wanted to be accepted, but that would require training and dedication to adding more talents from a different class to your present

Oh and.. I came looking for dragon priests... and I still couldn't find a mod that turns you into one.. only that Undeath mod... cool stuff, being a Lich. But I think the model's a bit different. And I'm still looking for a way of having more than two dead minions without making it overpowered like 50 killing machines. 5 or 7 are OK. But mostly you found that in a "daily power" and that sucks

That was my maniac playing and mod collecting weekend

Good think I'm on vacation for a few days  :P

For me, as I've still only been playing for less than a month, I'm a stickler about that first character getting to see and do it all.  When I ended up with tons of quests, because I do a lot, then go back home and play with my adopted kids (noticed she would frown sometimes and then become happy when she does this), I decided I would make another character to just focus on certain quests.  My problem soon became apparent with my second toon, I really liked the first one character, my currently lvl 34 Nord.  Someone once told me *smiles* that it's always that first character you go back to, and for me this is true, the hours it's taken into playing my nord, I devised my plan of attack by just doing a questline and following it through.  I like the adventure, and even get excited about new things to acquire (Shadowmere is my latest thing to be excited about).  So, I don't know how long it would take to do everything, though I'm not sure if you can actually go back and forth in picking the Stormcloaks or Legion (picked the Legion), but I'm sure going to try on this first one!  I bored myself completely with a second character, because I missed what my first one had done already.

Yeah... doing the same quests over and over again can get tiresome, but you have to if you want the same status

Still can't make sense of a good person joining the Dark Brotherhood

I only make peace with it by thinking many contracts are people who have done wrong to others and deserve to die

In my opinion, in the role of my own moral judgement I'd let them continue existing, I could even help them, but I'd not join them.

I think I'll have to make use of console commands to stop certain quests from now on

When I was still playing on my PS3, my first character literally did everything possible (I checked the wikis to make sure). Obviously, you can't technically do all questlines in one playthrough (i.e. you can't play through the Imperial questline and then do the same for the Stromcloaks), but I did everything else possible (earning a Platinum trophy). The very last thing I did was face Alduin. I chuckled afterwards when Tsun suggested that there was still stuff for me to do in Skyrim. "Uh... no, not really."

Freaking Mage Guild quest!!  :@  :@

I had assumed that at least my main character Alice would complete all the quests, be Archamge, Harbinger, Assassin and Thief...

I even found a fix for that disgusting Boethiah quest, a mod called "Boethiah for good guys" plus Namira and another one

It's like Bethesda pushes us to the dark side

Fuck that

I can live with certain quests and certain mods

But my paladin has NO FREAKING BUSINESS in Winterhold College!!!! :@  :@  :@  :@

He AINT A FREAKING MAGE SO WHY THE HELL DOES HE HAVE TO BECOME THE ARCHMAGE???!!

Jeez...

There are at least 5 other quests that REQUIRE you to go to Winterhold, so the mage's quest is a must if you want to play the game  :(

But my paladin has NO FREAKING BUSINESS in Winterhold College!!!! :@  :@  :@  :@

He AINT A FREAKING MAGE SO WHY THE HELL DOES HE HAVE TO BECOME THE ARCHMAGE???!!

Didn't you hear? The only requirements to become Archmage are knowledge of the Firebolt spell, a basic ward, Flames, and Frostbite. It's a good thing Tolfdir runs the show when my character is Archmage because my character only knows about half a dozen spells and most of them are Novice level!

Didn't you hear? The only requirements to become Archmage are knowledge of the Firebolt spell, a basic ward, Flames, and Frostbite. It's a good thing Tolfdir runs the show when my character is Archmage because my character only knows about half a dozen spells and most of them are Novice level!

It's funny how it takes more time to get into the mages guild in Oblivion than it takes to become Arch mage in Skyrim. Hell you actually needed to be a mage to advance in Morrowind...

But it makes sense, Nords don't know anything about magic. Mysticism... just saying.

I never do all questlines with 1 character seems kinda odd to me. Having a paladin also i realise i don't want to be a mage or go to that silly college, but your standard nords are pretty stupid and 1 sided when it comes to magic. So i turn up at the college blag my way in without having to use any spells, visit the restoration trainer, then get give it the high knees untill i need to get the next level of spells. Although i think that resto trainer has some serious social issues.

I have about 6 different characters with different styles, finding that the stealth toon is very op, in and out of most situations before anyone knows i am there......then there is the mage which is like i can kill an entire army with the flick of my finger........

Still there should be more weight to your choices when you join a faction, and the ability to say no to certain quests. I hate the guard remarks of wet dog even after i get the cure for being a werewolf, many a guard has met their end from that. I would have prefered that you had a choice about being a werewolf to advance the companions quests.

I almost always play a wiry thief. For years I've loved the archetype for some reason. So, naturally I joined the thieve's guild, also helped out at the bard's college to brush up on my lying. Also it was a good opportunity to ogle Elisef (or whatever) the Fair to see if she lives up to the name. I hear she's a widow these days. :D

The mage's college was something of an accident. The chick at the front door wanted me to use mage light. Then I bumped into a few other people before I finally got to speak with Urag. Next thing I know I'm sneaking through one of the oldest tombs in Skyrim, hoping for some rare and extraordinarily valuable treasure.

Well shit I was right. Not the market value I was looking for, however.

Now I'm securing the staff of magnus with an affable vampire chick in tow who puts my already D-rate casting to utter shame. She's nice and all, but once I help the wizards with their crazy ball I have to help her resolve some parental issues. She's only really here because some vampires killed Grelka back in Riften, and I was hoping to find someone else to train me in armor skills so I don't have to face-tank my way through competent defensive combat.

And gods damn does my neck itch...

that's just in skyrim most beautiful, which one able to develop freely!
not role playing as in other where they can build only one skills, one has to learn the possibility of all skills in skyrim. that does make the game interesting.

it would be boring if we were just playing as magician, it is so much nicer a combat magician to be with creeping skills.
I hope you can understand everything, have the text written with a translator.

german

das ist doch gerade in skyrim am schönsten , das man sich frei entfalten kann !

nicht wie in anderen rollenspielen wo man nur eine fertigkeit ausbauen kann , hat man in skyrim die möglichkeit alle fertigkeiten zu erlernen .

daß macht doch das spiel erst interessant . es würde schnell langweilig werden wenn man nur als magier spielen würde , es ist doch viel schöner ein kampfmagier mit schleichfähigkeiten zu sein .
ich hoffe man kann alles verstehen , habe den text mit einem übersetzer geschrieben .

It's hard to strictly stick to only one role, but doing most, if not all sorts of quests do help in providing my character some advantages she needs to win; in my case my PC is a huntress, with archery as her best skill (with one-handed and conjuration as secondary skills), but I didn't even have to play the Dark Brotherhood part.

I always found thieves guild/DB and mage guild quests tie fairly well together for me, at least the rational for joining them.

My pure magey char's can't afford the spell books; especially running apoc, there is just soooooo many spells to get.

Usually turning to theft or murder for the coin to get them all.

The mods I use for sneak type characters make it absolutely ridiculous hard to stay hidden (especially wearing any kind of armor). So backing that up with illusion magic is just a natural progression choice. Alteration for the armor for when mistakes happen, as it gets brutal trying to hide when wearing more than 10~20 weight in gear. Logically going to the college to upgrade those makes sense for me.

The companions line is just meh for me. I Tend to only do it, and the main quest line when I roll a heavy armor kinda character....  which is next to never.

Whenever I loose sight of what a particular characters goals were/are though; or start doing things that don't really make sense for them, I generally end up re-rolling something else for awhile...  Don't think I have had a character go over level 50 since my very first play through on a completely vanilla game.

Archived