[AAF] Can someone explain this warning to me? NOT fix, just explain.

I have recently decided to kill my old FO4 and start fresh. To fully embrace AAF and get that running smoothly first of all. So I followed “The Fucking Manual” basically to the letter and I made it up to step 14 (installing “50 Shades” animations) before running into a snag I cannot fix myself.

Everything works! All is fine. I can manually use the animations from 50 Shades, except I get warnings when opening the AAF admin menu. I don't like warnings, I am an old -Werror guy.

The warning I get though, just baffles me. I have no idea what to do with that. What does it mean?

*warning* [086] overlaySet ID “Anal” not found (Caller null).

The fuck?

What does the number 086 mean? Is that an error code or a loading complete percentage? What is an “overlaySet”? Is the overlaySet looking for ID “Anal” or is the “overlaySet ID 'Anal'” missing? Last but not least: Caller null?!? The warning is triggered by a completely undefined entity? Looking for anal? Or does this mean something else...

Basically what I am asking for is not how to fix this but what it means! What is going wrong here? I am sure this makes perfect sense to the programmer who wrote that. I am just completely lost in the forest, man.

My money is on: This has something to do with cum/sweat/dirt texture overlay being triggered at a certain point during animation but I don't have anything like that installed... am I close?

Help? What does it mean?

7 hours ago, Tefnacht said:

I have recently decided to kill my old FO4 and start fresh. To fully embrace AAF and get that running smoothly first of all. So I followed “The Fucking Manual” basically to the letter and I made it up to step 14 (installing “50 Shades” animations) before running into a snag I cannot fix myself.

Everything works! All is fine. I can manually use the animations from 50 Shades, except I get warnings when opening the AAF admin menu. I don't like warnings, I am an old -Werror guy.

The warning I get though, just baffles me. I have no idea what to do with that. What does it mean?

*warning* [086] overlaySet ID “Anal” not found (Caller null).

The fuck?

What does the number 086 mean? Is that an error code or a loading complete percentage? What is an “overlaySet”? Is the overlaySet looking for ID “Anal” or is the “overlaySet ID 'Anal'” missing? Last but not least: Caller null?!? The warning is triggered by a completely undefined entity? Looking for anal? Or does this mean something else...

Basically what I am asking for is not how to fix this but what it means! What is going wrong here? I am sure this makes perfect sense to the programmer who wrote that. I am just completely lost in the forest, man.

My money is on: This has something to do with cum/sweat/dirt texture overlay being triggered at a certain point during animation but I don't have anything like that installed... am I close?

Help? What does it mean?

Probably you are using my patch for anims and override its overlay set data xml with something else. So there is no more configuration for anal set

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 2:32 PM, Tefnacht said:

What does the number 086 mean? Is that an error code

What is an “overlaySet”?

is the “overlaySet ID 'Anal'” missing?

Last but not least: Caller null?!?

Yes. 086 is an error code. Helps to have them when the mod is translated into many languages.

An overlaySet is a group of 1 or more overlays that can be applied to a character.

Yes. The warning is that the mods you installed are configured to use an overlaySet called "Anal". But, it is missing for some reason.

The calling function cannot always be identified. In this case, it's not really relevant anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

@dagobaking

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was still working my way through “The Fucking Manual.”

For a while I was still confused what an “overlay” is supposed to be in the AFF context but it became more clear as I dived deeper into it. Its not the most intuitive name now, is it? I won't pretend to understand most of the XML files that configure AAF but I get some of it.

Is there a plain web resource listing all the AAF error codes? I am deathly allergic to Discord and I am still not sure what error 086 actually was all about.

Suffice it to say, I ignored the warnings and just zombie-like followed TFM and (most of) the warnings went away in later steps. Maybe it was my own fault for being overly cautious and running the game from a clean save after ever mod package I installed.

Let me just say: AAF is a total pain in the backside to install. However, once you get it right it is fantastic and also surprisingly robust. AAF deals with faulty or corrupt animation packages rather gracefully. Pretty impressive. I just wish there was better documentation outside Discord. ...do you people ever update the wiki's anymore?

3 hours ago, Tefnacht said:

Is there a plain web resource listing all the AAF error codes?

Let me just say: AAF is a total pain in the backside to install. However, once you get it right it is fantastic and also surprisingly robust. AAF deals with faulty or corrupt animation packages rather gracefully. Pretty impressive. I just wish there was better documentation outside Discord. ...do you people ever update the wiki's anymore?

The error codes help troubleshooters understand what is happening when they can't understand the language the error is in. They are of no extra help for users since the error message itself tells you what the error code means.

The wiki is up to date.

Installing AAF is quick and easy. Installing an entire build with dozens or hundreds of mods is a different story. I just focus on the AAF part.