Player Facial Expression Redone for 1.9 (WIP)

Aoikun

Actually, regarding the CK, you could just directly edit the actor's facegen trishapes in Blender. This mod has a guide to do that. You basically export the trishapes as obj, edit them in blender, then re-insert them in the nif.

To give them a certain expression you'd just transfer the morph to the imported obj as a shapekey, then set it to the desired level, affecting the base, which would be the actor's face.

It's still too much work to just freeze an NPC in a phoneme or modifier though...

Regarding a command to apply a certain morph outside of the race menu. What about SKSE?

Can't the same functions that work inside Race Menu be used outside of it?

While you can definitely do that, it's not very practical. It would still be better to just put the desired NPC's face on your character, edit it with showracemenu and then transfer it back to the NPC using the CK. 

As for using SKSE to call the Race Menu functions, I have no idea if that's possible, you will have to ask expired for that. It would be pretty cool, having a menu to change your expressions and reset them back without using the Race Menu.  

Tried Alternate Actors but it seems that it isn't compatible with ECE and Race Menu, facial traits get mixed and weird stuff happens, a shame because it looked promising.

On a side note, still no answer from the ECE guys, and I think I will wait till expired releases the new update to CharGen Extension to release the non ECE version and the DIY tutorial, as I will have to create again all the files and they will be much more optimized and better overall. 

On a side note, still no answer from the ECE guys, and I think I will wait till expired releases the new update to CharGen Extension to release the non ECE version and the DIY tutorial, as I will have to create again all the files and they will be much more optimized and better overall. 

Did you write in tktk's blog?

Thank you, Aoikun, for taking on such a weighty and important project. As the many players here who have liked your post demonstrate, the loss of the mfg commands has been a serious blow to the uniqueness and personalization that we have all striven for since we first got our hands on Skyrim. Whether or not this mod works out, I commend you for trying to right a wrong that we all felt unnecessary and unjustified.

Thank you again,

Buttnine

I think some people isn't exactly reading the first post and is misunderstanding what it does.

This basically takes the expression/phoneme/modifier morphs and adds them to the list of available morphs in Race Menu.

This doesn't fix actors not blinking or failing to properly animate their faces. That requires either for someone or some people to hack the functionality back in the game, or for Bethesda to fix it.

As for mfg, I'd like to know if expired knows about being able or not to make a papyrus script with SKSE functions to call these morphs outside of the race menu.

I think some people isn't exactly reading the first post and is misunderstanding what it does.

This basically takes the expression/phoneme/modifier morphs and adds them to the list of available morphs in Race Menu.

This doesn't fix actors not blinking or failing to properly animate their faces. That requires either for someone or some people to hack the functionality back in the game, or for Bethesda to fix it.

As for mfg, I'd like to know if expired knows about being able or not to make a papyrus script with SKSE functions to call these morphs outside of the race menu.

This is possible but I'd have to find a new hook to inject the functions into the API, the hook I use for NiOverride's functions is very close in proximity and I cannot use the same hook since it will conflict with the overwritten memory space. I was considering merging the features of NiOverride and CharGen into one single plugin but they both do rather different things. It also would not work like MFG in the sense that it transitions from current to full morph, it would be immediate unless you transitioned it via Papyrus, which would be rather slow and probably not look very good at all.

Choosing an appropriate hook location is usually the hard part, it needs to be close to the existing native function registration and it should hopefully be an easy hook like overwriting a function call rather than code-caving.

Absolutely right, unfortunately this doesn't fix what bethesda broke, that is waaaay beyond my skills. This is just  a workaround to at least have the expressions back.

Sorry guys for the lack of updates, but have been rather busy this days. Anyway, got news: tktk1 from the ECE team answered me, he liked the idea and said I can go ahead, but he also wanted to know if I'd like to have my mod as a part of ECE. I still have to talk with them because my mod needs expired's CharGen Extension to work but I'd like to have both a independent non ECE version and the ECE version just integrated into it.

Now what I need is some testing, and you know what this means? Yep, download time. Head back to the main page and read the instructions, no seriously, read them because this is a beta version and I don't want someone screwing up his gamefiles. 

Well... I'm amazed. :P

It really brings life to screenshots... couldn't find any bugs using RaceMenu, ECE and CharGen Core.

EDIT: Did you rename some of those? http://skyrim.jpn.org/images/350/35081.jpg - Because the dialogue/mood ones don't appear in the list for me.

I use the latest version of each single mod I have installed.

EDIT #2: Screenshot was 2880x1620 but LL scaled it down to 1920x1080 :(

EDIT #3: There you go, it takes a while to load though:

*high res image*

post-85595-0-49339200-1377716907_thumb.jpg

It also would not work like MFG in the sense that it transitions from current to full morph, it would be immediate unless you transitioned it via Papyrus, which would be rather slow and probably not look very good at all.

Would it be possible to fix facegen itself through finding out what Bethesda removed by mistake in 1.8 and trying to re-inject it into 1.9 through checking 1.8's executable and hex editing/some kind of patching? Or to at least implement the transition in one of the new functions?

Also, is it actually possible to make it work on NPCs? I've always thought that NPCs are a bit touchy when it comes to their facegen data, since any wrong changes makes them use the chargen tri instead of the facegen nif (snpcw causes that for example).

Well... I'm amazed. :P

It really brings life to screenshots... couldn't find any bugs using RaceMenu, ECE and CharGen Core.

EDIT: Did you rename some of those? http://skyrim.jpn.org/images/350/35081.jpg - Because the dialogue/mood ones don't appear in the list for me.

I use the latest version of each single mod I have installed.

EDIT #2: Screenshot was 2880x1620 but LL scaled it down to 1920x1080 :(

EDIT #3: There you go, it takes a while to load though:

*high res image*

attachicon.giffacial_expressions_1.jpg

The screenshot looks awesome, thanks for sharing. 

I just screwed up when packaging the mod and ended up uploading an older version, my bad. I will update the one with the moods asap. Thanks for pointing that out

EDIT New version uploaded, let me know if there are any bugs, hope everything is ok but I ended up with some confusing names for the folders I'm working with so sometimes I'm not really sure where the "good files" are.  Also cell, are you using Race Menu?  I uninstalled it but I only got the new Extra category without the sliders,  didn't have time to do a proper and clean uninstall / reinstall ECE so I'd like to know if it works without RaceMenu, as mortenhoward said I'm afraid it might conflict with ECE in some way.

Reading through the posts, I remembered Halo's Pinup Poser pack, and if he could do it for poses, why not this mod for facial expressions without having to open up showracemenu everytime?

I think the core of the mod is not yet complete and it's currently chargen extension only. I'd like to use a spell too I could change NPCs' faces that way. But I think there's no need for a rush.

Reading through the posts, I remembered Halo's Pinup Poser pack, and if he could do it for poses, why not this mod for facial expressions without having to open up showracemenu everytime?

The problem is that poses are just animations applied to a rigged mesh (the body) whereas expressions are morphs or deformations applied directly to the mesh, might sound similar but in the second one there is no skeleton or bones to animate. I'm no expert but I think that those pose mods work temporary replacing the idle animation with the pose. This can't be done that way because, well, they are completely different things. There's no skeletal animation with facial expressions and that's the reason mods like SexLab doesn't have them (at least I don't think it has them,correct me if I'm wrong) , because it's not an easy thing do.

Archived