(First post :) ) Hehe, fun stuff. 

I simply do not understand why this tool is not more popular, it's absolute genius for anyone who's heavily into modding their games.  The main benefit for me is that I'm able to do something I never could do before the advent of MO - run some clean, lore-friendly hardcore characters at the same time as I'm messing about with other characters in sexy la-la land, all the while messing around with other mods in other profiles without any fear of breaking my "serious" playthroughs.

Once you get your head around it, and get your full kit of executables going (BOSS, Wrye, Skyprocs, FNIS, etc.) it's so easy.

Simple switch of profile, quick run of any necessary executables, and bingo!

I have the same evangelical feeling - "don't you REALIZE?" :)

I notice that NMM is going to have an update soon with something that looks a bit like MO's profile switching.  I hope its higher profile doesn't overshadow the amazing work Tannin has done.

They'd better take a class from Tannin if they hope to make NMM better than MO. I won't switch regardless, simply because I can't see NMM being able to allow compiling in CK. In fact, I can't see NMM being able to do the majority of things MO does.

Even if the new NMM manages to beat MO in terms of userfriendliness (psssh...not friggin likely), I have far too much love for MO, and all that Tannin has done to make MO the kingpin it is today, to go switching to NMM.

Plus, Tannin already said more versions will be made and released, so NMM has some severe catching up to do. Also, what about the virtual path? Unless NMM adds that feature, MO is still tops.

:angel: ALL HAIL MOD ORGANIZER! :angel: 

I simply do not understand why this tool is not more popular, it's absolute genius for anyone who's heavily into modding their games.  The main benefit for me is that I'm able to do something I never could do before the advent of MO - run some clean, lore-friendly hardcore characters at the same time as I'm messing about with other characters in sexy la-la land, all the while messing around with other mods in other profiles without any fear of breaking my "serious" playthroughs.

Once you get your head around it, and get your full kit of executables going (BOSS, Wrye, Skyprocs, FNIS, etc.) it's so easy.

I notice that NMM is going to have an update soon with something that looks a bit like MO's profile switching.  I hope its higher profile doesn't overshadow the amazing work Tannin has done.

I'll answer the question you posed. ..

It isn't that hard to get it up and running however it is easier to get NMM running also NMM is pushed by Nexus as the mod manager to use. It takes some time to get the mods up and running. Many don't want to put forth that effort to "get it". This is the reason that MO is used by more ... experienced modders that can appreciate the added features and functionality of the tool.

I'll answer the question you posed. ..

It isn't that hard to get it up and running however it is easier to get NMM running also NMM is pushed by Nexus as the mod manager to use. It takes some time to get the mods up and running. Many don't want to put forth that effort to "get it". This is the reason that MO is used by more ... experienced modders that can appreciate the added features and functionality of the tool.

I know, I know,  was just being rhetorical :)

The thing is though, I reckon about 40% of aggrieved user questions on Nexus would disappear overnight if people used MO instead of NMM, because the typical user messes things up pretty quickly with NMM as soon as they start experimenting (which it's always tempting to do when you start out), because the load order of loose files is completely uncontrollable (hence you get all the meshes and textures messed up pretty quickly unless you're a methodical person by habit and write things down).  

Pushing MO instead of NMM on Nexus would have solved that problem ages ago, because of MO's ability to let you conveniently change the load order of the data files themselves, and not just .esms and .esps. 

But of course they couldn't push another mod manager, so I guess that's why they're going to incorporate a similar feature in NMM.  It's past time really. 

I think probably an NMM with the ability to change file and .bsa load order would be just fine for the average user, but as Awful said, MO with its cornucopia of more advanced tweaking features will probably continue remain a step ahead for the advanced user.  

A couple of useful things I've found with MO:-

Did you know that you can even "hide" individual files within an installed mod?  Just discovered that the other day! R-click on a mod, choose Information, and you can hide particular conflicting files either from the Conflicts tab (which lets you see both upstream and downstream conflicts!) or in the Filetree, by r-clicking on the file and selecting the "hide" option.  Blow me! 

Another top tip I've found useful is that you can make different-named installed mods from the .7z files for different profiles.  In my early use of MO I didn't do that, and as I'm a heavy profile user (e.g. I've got fairly settled and bug-free enhanced Vanilla, hardcore realism and  eyecandy/sexlab profiles for regular use, but I also experiment with other things like Requiem, etc., from time to time, and play around with mods that strike my fancy - using a base Vanilla profile of course! :)  ) I used to get baffling problems when I tweaked an installed mod for one profile, then switched to another profile forgetting that I'd tweaked that mod for the previous profile.  If you make different copies of a mod for different profiles that have mods with very different requirements, that solves that problem easily, since you will only have ticked within a profile the relevant version of the mod for that profile.

Ashal: I beg you...please make MO the site's Official Downloader. Pleeeeease?? :angel:  Rights...RESERVED! :lol:  I've already confirmed that it's okay. It just needs the site to organize the mod's ID's, and Tannin42 will make MO download them, or more specifically, he will have "nothing to do with it", and I will make MO LL compatible. ;)

I've covered every angle, except the site's needed overhaul. Imagine..."Download With Mod Organizer"...It's like a dream come true! :)

Yay, Tannin42!

Yay...

MOD ORGANIZER

god-1.jpg

Me...personally...I've done nothing to "save my own ass", and it's been very smoooooth sailin' for me. I just love Mod Organizer.

I will never tell someone not to back up their files, especially saves, but me...I've just been wingin' it this whole time, and I'm always ALL GRAVY! canstock6722658.jpg

Mod Organizer is aaaaaall that!

Still good advice though.thumbsup.gif

But now. I switched OS backuping all skyrim content, including all the MO stuff, now it acts weird. If I run Skyrim Launcher, all plugins unchecks, and also can't clean esp's with Tes5Edit, it says it cant delete cloaks.esp (for example) from skyrim/data blabla directorty. Damn you, it's not there is Mod Organizer stupid Tes5edit! No matter how many times I try, Boss will always say the plugins contains those dirty edits. It's like all Mod Organizer set up messed up what should I do? I tried reinstaling it still broken.

;-;

Edit: Just found all my plugins in MO are listed in the appdata, is that normal? ;o

Examine your settings 1st, before nuking. This should be a simple fix, as MO makes (almost) no mistakes. If you changed something, you shouldn't have. It's the only explanation. This thing is a beast now...

If you nuke it, and find it doing it again, please report it to the issue tracker.

Problems don't create themselves though...NUKE! Fuggit. Maybe a program of yours was updating when you were loading up MO, and it acted as a hiccup?? Bomb that bitch, and retry. We'll call it "Alpha Testing". :P

The above brought up a question. I usually have a clean copy of Skyrim and a config version of Skyrim. (all the nice tools). Mostly like I do with my other games (even though I don't have it done with Skyrim yet, still playing a unmodded game and learning the tools to use) Anyway. If backing up it should be just safe to move the Mod Organizer folder correct. All the settings and such should be in that folder (mods backups etc) As long as I place it back in the skyrim folder correctly it should work again properly. Unless I am wrong.

The reason I ask is sometimes I move Steam itself to other drives as needed (upgrades etc) Moving and backing up hasn't been an issue before. (backing up simple 7z file. ) I would want to know this because if I work on a lot of profiles and various mod setups I would be upset if it ended up becoming NUKE time.

I am willing to change my back up procedures to accommodate MO's needs at least for MO and MO games being used. Just need a nice clear understanding of the process and problems.