Is There a way to move the mods root folder?

17 hours ago, Heinos said:

is there a way to move the mods folder from the documents folder to another place?

There isn't an easy way to do it, but in Windows you can use Junction Links, which can map any folder from a drive onto another folder on a different drive.
It requires the use of the Command Prompt, so you have to do some typing (it's not hard, I used this before, just pay close attention to what you're doing), and make sure you backup your Mods folder beforehand, so in case you make a mistake you don't lose anything (i think you have to use empty folders when creating the link anyways, so probably best to just move the whole Mods folder to somewhere else while you setting things up.)

Edited by PECO_CinErotique
doesn't seem to work anymore within the Documents folder.
4 minutes ago, PECO_CinErotique said:

There isn't an easy way to do it, but in Windows you can use Junction Links, which can map any folder from a drive onto another folder on a different drive.
It requires the use of the Command Prompt, so you have to do some typing (it's not hard, I used this before, just pay close attention to what you're doing), and make sure you backup your Mods folder beforehand, so in case you make a mistake you don't lose anything (i think you have to use empty folders when creating the link anyways, so probably best to just move the whole Mods folder to somewhere else while you setting things up.)

well i didn't started on downloading mods so trying this will not make me lose anything

50 minutes ago, lucifeh said:

I am concerned about your question and your sig ?

maybe i expressed it wrong, the thing is that i need the full path to the documents folder for a command to try something that its easy but gets, a little sketchy tbh

@Heinos Actually, disregard what i wrote, I tried it, and since last time I used it Microsoft seems to have did something to the access privileges (Windows10), and the MKLINK command doesn't seems to work anymore if I try to use it anywhere in the Documents folder (I get "access denied" errors). I'm pretty sure it can be solved through some settings, but I'm really not interested enough to get into that. Maybe someone can come up with a solution or software to do it, so, good luck, but I'm afraid I'm out at this point.

A (relatively) easy way I've recently stumbled upon is to spoof the hard coded directory: C:\Users\----\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 using Link Shell Extension.

(Essentially creating a false folder that is still read by the game without occupying space on the C; drive) 

1: copy the entire sims 4 folder from the electronic arts folder in my documents and paste it to where you intend to put the new folder (such as the d: drive).

2: delete the original sims 4 folder (the files in this location are no longer needed)

3: download and install link shell extension Link Shell Extension (schinagl.priv.at) (scroll to downloads "all windows 64")

4: once installed go to the new location for the sims 4 folder, right click and select pick link source.

5: go back to the electronic arts folder in my documents (should be empty now) right click and select drop as... [junction]

(i'm not taking credit for this, I just came across this videowhen searching how to move the mods directory because my drive was out of space) 

https://youtu.be/Y1jnrnNFKMI. <------ [source]

On 1/12/2023 at 8:41 PM, exorchrist6 said:

A (relatively) easy way I've recently stumbled upon is to spoof the hard coded directory: C:\Users\----\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 using Link Shell Extension.

(Essentially creating a false folder that is still read by the game without occupying space on the C; drive) 

1: copy the entire sims 4 folder from the electronic arts folder in my documents and paste it to where you intend to put the new folder (such as the d: drive).

2: delete the original sims 4 folder (the files in this location are no longer needed)

3: download and install link shell extension Link Shell Extension (schinagl.priv.at) (scroll to downloads "all windows 64")

4: once installed go to the new location for the sims 4 folder, right click and select pick link source.

5: go back to the electronic arts folder in my documents (should be empty now) right click and select drop as... [junction]

(i'm not taking credit for this, I just came across this videowhen searching how to move the mods directory because my drive was out of space) 

https://youtu.be/Y1jnrnNFKMI. <------ [source]

Well, it just works
Thanks Bro