Jump to content

(solved) Haven't built a new PC in about 10 years! And have a couple of easy questions about RGB case and PSU cable


M.BISON

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi,

 

As title says. Also these might seem obvious :) 

 

The case I'm buying has non RGB and RGB version variant (LIAN LI LANCOOL 3), this wasn't a thing last time I upgraded lol and my current case it kind of outdated imo. Googling this just brings up RGB cases to buy but watched some videos of the case I'm buying and it seems as though. RGB case just comes with an RGB button (to switch patterns for front fans only) and 3x RGB front fans for front, Lian Li has there own software for this as well but I think that only controls all RGB fans in case. Theres only a £5 difference.

 

RGB & NON

 

Questions:

  1. So the MB I got new has ASUS aura sync and the AIO cooler (hydro h115i pro) I have, has iCUE software. Which version of case would I get or it doesn't matter?
  2. I can't remember if this is normal or not because it's been so long but I noticed this on my power supply cables. Is one of the sockets meant to be empty like this? (see screenshot)
Spoiler

1255421008_IMG_20221231_1736121.thumb.jpg.856bdd28ab22ffead5c7a404353b0926.jpg

219127621_IMG_20221231_1735361.thumb.jpg.0954aa3a7af1ff86887d06e7446f2f02.jpg

 

Thanks

 

Edited by M.BISON
Posted (edited)

I'd go non rgb since mine annoys me sometimes while I'm trying to sleep. Plus I read somewhere they're bad for your eyes. I don't think the case type matters so much as you really want to leave yourself enough room in it to change/maintain hardware and have good air flow. Far as the psu cable goes, I really don't know.

 

 

Edited by KoolHndLuke
Posted

Just get the RGB case, i mean you can always turn off the LED's if you want to. Aura Sync controls everything ASUS related, this usually works with the Armoury Crate App, and iCUE controls everything Corsair related, and Armoury Crate and iCUE are compatible to each other you can link both programs so the RGB colors match perfectly. I for example got an ASUS MB, ASUS RYUJIN 360 AiO liquid cooler and Corsair RGB RAM, and it all works perfectly fine together.

 

About the cables, because i can't see the other side of the cable, i can't really tell if that is correct or not. If you only got 7 contacts on both sides of the cable it might be correct. But it does seem to be a bit weird IMO. Maybe just google your PSU, i mean you didn't mention what PSU you got.

 

Good luck and happy new year.

Posted

I wouldn't use that connection on the cable. Power Supplies usually come with several PCI-E connections, so hopefully you have another one you can use. If it's the second connection on the same cable, I definitely wouldn't use it. If your GPU has two power slots, it's usually best to use two different cables. I'm of the opinion that if you're not certain about something when it comes to expensive hardware, it's probably best not to risk it.

 

 

If the case fans are controlled through a button instead of software, then it's entirely a choice on how you want to personally handle that kind of thing and whether or not you actually want RGB. If there's a set pattern or color scheme you want for your RGB, it's probably best to buy some RGB fans from Corsair and control it all through iCUE. (Don't forget those are 140mm fans when you're looking to buy new ones)

 

I would avoid using Asus' software for anything. Do not install armoury crate. Asus combined all their software into that, so if you want to run Aura Sync, you need it. It's a pain in the ass to get rid and people have had issues with it in the past. My issues with it is that it just wouldn't work right and messed with my driver versions. Like it would try to install older versions of drivers on top of my latest ones. Even after uninstalling as much as I could, I still have bits of that program running in the background that I can't be bothered to fully clean out since I just don't want to deal with it anymore. At least it doesn't bother me for anything anymore.

Posted

Thanks for the answers all! 

I checked on google about the power supple cables. The empty "pins" are normal, depending on the cable (cus MB 24 pin also has pins missing) some said its grounding or it's the new method, something about not needing that pin anymore but the plug has just not been updated. Also forgot to mention my psu Corsair rm850x.

 

I forgot to mention I'm getting G.skill trident z neo ram, that also has RGB. Other than Asus aura sync, can it be controlled by corsair ICUE or any other software? I need to further look into the armoury app based on some replies.

 

Also Happy new year!

Posted

Happy new year. I usually remove all possible RGBs in my PCs, including some very little ones.

I really do not need the background light from the PC while I am working.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, M.BISON said:

Thanks for the answers all! 

I checked on google about the power supple cables. The empty "pins" are normal, depending on the cable (cus MB 24 pin also has pins missing) some said its grounding or it's the new method, something about not needing that pin anymore but the plug has just not been updated. Also forgot to mention my psu Corsair rm850x.

 

I forgot to mention I'm getting G.skill trident z neo ram, that also has RGB. Other than Asus aura sync, can it be controlled by corsair ICUE or any other software? I need to further look into the armoury app based on some replies.

 

Also Happy new year!

G.Skill uses a software called "Lightning Control".

 

The official software guide of Lightning Control can be viewed here.

Edited by Mexicola88
Posted

Appreciate all the replies! It's helped me a lot. I'm going to skip out on the Armoury crate app by Asus, seems to intrusive for me imo. Going to use a mix of ICUE or Lian li or, and other RGB controllers for fans. For ram will look into G.skill lighting control as pointed out by Mexicola88.

 

Thanks again!

Posted

A quote from the case you wanna buy. "Out of the box, this case comes with three 140mm RGB PWM fans pre-installed at the front, coupled with a 140mm PWM fan in the rear of the case." Because you have a ASUS MB, and these coolers are connected to it. I think you need to use Armoury Crate to control the LED's of them. Except there is a hardware RGB controller with some sort of manual switch or something or Lian Li has it's own software.

 

So you probably have to use Armoury Crate for the case fans, Lightning Control for the RAM, and iCUE for the Hydro h115i pro if it is the RGB version of it. Kinda sucks having to use 3 different softwares at the same time. But it will work somehow that is for sure. If you don't want some rainbow patterns or other special stuff and just create or use basic lightning patterns with RGB color codes. That all shouldn't be a problem.

Posted

Personally I would always go for the non rgb stuff for fans, case the whole lot, I hate colored lights were there is no reason, the only lights I want to see on my pc are warning lights where needed other than that I want a plain no nonsense solid case.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mexicola88 said:

A quote from the case you wanna buy. "Out of the box, this case comes with three 140mm RGB PWM fans pre-installed at the front, coupled with a 140mm PWM fan in the rear of the case." Because you have a ASUS MB, and these coolers are connected to it. I think you need to use Armoury Crate to control the LED's of them. Except there is a hardware RGB controller with some sort of manual switch or something or Lian Li has it's own software.

 

So you probably have to use Armoury Crate for the case fans, Lightning Control for the RAM, and iCUE for the Hydro h115i pro if it is the RGB version of it. Kinda sucks having to use 3 different softwares at the same time. But it will work somehow that is for sure. If you don't want some rainbow patterns or other special stuff and just create or use basic lightning patterns with RGB color codes. That all shouldn't be a problem.

 

Yeah true.

 

I'm looking into some stuff, might depend on what case fans I use. My options so far would be:

  • Use the ICUE software for all fans, by connecting them to corsair commander thing (I think lian li has something similar). Might make more sense and for best compatibly to buy new corsair fans.
  • While checking rgb stuff, I came across these apps that control all rgb like aura sync: open rgb & signal rgb but I need to research them more.

Also my corsair aio cooler is a few years old, was a planned upgrade that I never did but finally using it now. Didn't realise the name sounds similar to their new ones, sorry if any confusion. That aio only has rgb on the pump head. TBH I'm going to change this down the line.

 

Best option, I think would be non rgb case (can use rgb app when I know, what to use and won't need the dedicated button) but tbh either case version will be fine, just whichever I find cheaper. I can see this being like an ongoing rgb project cus the video card I'm looking to get is palit 3080 gamerock oc. Plus if I change case fans and so on, it's added cost to the build I'm doing, already gone a little over :weary:

 

The rgb stuff has grown on me now :sweat_smile:

Posted
1 hour ago, Varithina said:

Personally I would always go for the non rgb stuff for fans, case the whole lot, I hate colored lights were there is no reason, the only lights I want to see on my pc are warning lights where needed other than that I want a plain no nonsense solid case.

 

It's interesting you mention the warning lights because choosing a MB for my new build was so frustrating. It's like manufactures had tiers within tiers and wanted you to spend £250+ to get everything you wanted!? Even for a novice like me, I couldn't find a MB with everything I wanted. They always had trade offs, or spend a bit more but that other MB version also had trade offs. A lot of them didn't even have troubleshoot led's or on/off switch :weary:

Posted

I like LED's, this is how mine looks like.

 

z4mouxaz.jpg

But i added 2 dummy ram dimms so it's 4 RGB ram dimms now. And sadly 2 of my 3 front 120mm coolers LED's broke, i did something wrong and the LED's broke, the coolers still work so i just turned the LED's of them off. Now only the RAM, GPU, and CPU cooler LED's are active, all still in red. That is the least annoying color IMO. It's not so bright and looks cool. Full 255 RGB red.

g7sytnex.jpg

ASUS TUF GT501, ASUS TUF B550-PLUS, be quiet! POWERZONE 850W, Ryzen 9 5950x cooled with ASUS ROG RYUJIN 360, ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ CL16, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 QVO 2 TB SATA SSD, Western Digital Gold 16 TB HDD.
 

I will upgrade or build a complete new rig when RTX 50xx series is released. Maybe i just buy a RTX 5080 then, or i just build a complete new rig. I play all games in 4K, so i don't need extremely good CPU. I am okay with maximum of 120 FPS, i don't need 144 or 265 or even more, like some freaks do. :D 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...