Computer Security

AwfulArchdemon

So...I have files on my comp that I don't have "permission" to look at. Right in my C: drive. What the F*** is up with that!? Can't even delete them. I repeat, I have files on my comp that I don't have "permission" to look at. How does one get rid of such a thing? It's some crazy shit like 4d9c57c903f4640ce752f5367a52. I refuse to store something I can't identify on my comp! Any help?

1) Make a back up ... now... hell yesterday.

2) Try to find out what created it. It might be something being used or have been used by a program. Long shot but if you delete something that is needed it can crash your computer. Reason for comment #1

3) I haven't had this issue before myself however It might be possible if you "safe boot" your computer. If you do this it might be possible to access this and delete it.

These are only a few quick solutions to get you going. I am sure that there are others on this site that will have more experience removing files like these.

Best of luck.

Microsoft in its "infinite" wisdom decided that all of us stupid users were too ignorant to be allowed to have full access to all folders and files.  You can indeed take back control of most of those files by simply taking back ownership:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Now files that have very odd names like your "4d9c57c903f4640ce752f5367a52" are generally temp files\folders or sometimes installer files\folders.  Generally you can get rid of them by using your disk clean up tool and toggling on the delete temp files setting.

If you do decide to take back ownership of files just be careful and create a restore point in case you delete something that causes windows to crash.  ;)

1) Make a back up ... now... hell yesterday.

2) Try to find out what created it. It might be something being used or have been used by a program. Long shot but if you delete something that is needed it can crash your computer. Reason for comment #1

3) I haven't had this issue before myself however It might be possible if you "safe boot" your computer. If you do this it might be possible to access this and delete it.

These are only a few quick solutions to get you going. I am sure that there are others on this site that will have more experience removing files like these.

Best of luck.

You think it's a good idea to stick my back-up in my E:? I have no external hard drive...

Microsoft in its "infinite" wisdom decided that all of us stupid users were too ignorant to be allowed to have full access to all folders and files.  You can indeed take back control of most of those files by simply taking back ownership:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Now files that have very odd names like your "4d9c57c903f4640ce752f5367a52" are generally temp files\folders or sometimes installer files\folders.  Generally you can get rid of them by using your disk clean up tool and toggling on the delete temp files setting.

If you do decide to take back ownership of files just be careful and create a restore point in case you delete something that causes windows to crash.  ;)

There's a lot of info in this thing, and it's chillin' right above another funky folder (69e62ae7b079413dcf45). Haven't tried to get ownership of that mug yet, but I'm gonna back-up 1st. Thanks for the ever-so-convenient link. :)

this

and also i was "smart enough" to medley with windows and result was reinstallation so be careful 

for deleting temporary files i recommend cc cleaner every two weeks

CCleaner happens to my comp every week! ;)

The moment Steam dumps Windows is the day I never user a Microsoft product ever again.

If I can run most if not all of my games on Linux I would definitely consider not using Windows. At least not as my primary machine. Perhaps a emulated one for the one or two times I have to use Windows for programs that I haven't found a similar product on Linux .. yet.

Steam is working on that AngryBird, look at SteamForLinux.

Some of the reviews of the games they have running on Linux is ... drum roll ... absolutely f***ing fantastic. If Linux can finish the Wine project and be able to fully emulate all aspects of Windows it might be the day when everybody "Dumps Windows and never user a Microsoft product ever again"

just do not delete those files that normaly you should not see    --+ one of them is the licence key +--   if you delete without a real backup you will need to reinstall windows again or at the least 30 days suscribe windows again.

you can find some tools by looking through google.

You think it's a good idea to stick my back-up in my E:? I have no external hard drive...

Get one. Really get one. Something external. It isn't a back up until it is somewhere else. Power can fail. Accidents can happen. Externals are reasonable in cost You don't need to back up everything just the important things to the external. Taxes, personal photos etc. Things that you can re download like Steam games, some movies etc not as important if cost is a concern.

Get one. Really get one. Something external. It isn't a back up until it is somewhere else. Power can fail. Accidents can happen. Externals are reasonable in cost You don't need to back up everything just the important things to the external. Taxes, personal photos etc. Things that you can re download like Steam games, some movies etc not as important if cost is a concern.

I confess, I have no idea what an external hard drive costs. I just know prices for x-box hd's. :P As long as it's not like $200 or something, price isn't a big issue.

(ps. you sure like aliens. :D I'm surprised you don't want an Alienware. ;)) How do I go about using it? Never used one before. Sounds important.

I confess, I have no idea what an external hard drive costs. I just know prices for x-box hd's. :P As long as it's not like $200 or something, price isn't a big issue.

(ps. you sure like aliens. :D I'm surprised you don't want an Alienware. ;)) How do I go about using it? Never used one before. Sounds important.

Example. They are cheap. This one is large. You can choose portable if you need it just cost more per gig for storage. Use is simple. Get one for your computer. PC or Mac comparable. Chances it is a PC. Plug in the USB, Power cable for it if needed. (Portables don't need a power cable power comes through the USB) Go to My Computer (PC) and you will see another drive. Drag and drop data. There are more comprehensive ways to protect data but this will at least allow you to drag and drop data from your documents and such. Photos and other important things. It is a step in the correct direction. Your local computer store can help you figure out what you want / need and how to use it effectively. Later you can learn more advanced backup techniques. That is the benefit of brick and mortar stores. Face to Face support.

About Alienware. Trust an alien to know a fake when they see it. In my opinion Alienware is an overpriced underpowered product full of Hype. I will never buy one now. In the past they were the "bees knees" but now basically crap. There are far better choices for your money in laptops with some models of ASUS and other brands, Or, You can do better building a tower yourself. Don' t know how to build a computer. Many places will build it for you for a few dollars more.

I'll head to Best Buy and snag one. And I'll plug it into my fake, overpriced, underpowered Alienware i-7! ;)

Good and start drag and drop the data that is most important of that Alienware i7 :D as soon as possible. Make sure your antivirus is up to date and that you don't have more than one because they like to fight. That should help protect against some issues that might arise. Later you can start looking into actual proper backups using Acronis which seems to be the easiest to use for the novice. That can create a perfect image of your computer and if something happens allow you to restore everything back on to that computer even if the hard drive dies and is replaced. No worries of the OS drivers and other headaches. It will save your favorites and all your settings. It would be as nothing happened. (at least up to the time you made the last backup) Best buy geek squad can give some directions and guidance to what to do when you get the drive and understand some of the options. Soon you will be backing up like a pro.

Speaking of Backups. You did make a factory restoration CD. Different companies call them differently. There is a program on the computer that allows you to make a full backup on a flash drive, DVD etc. This backup can be used to restore the computer much like Acronis can except only focusing on the settings and programs that came with the computer. This critical. If something happens to the HD in the computer then you are toast. That is unless Alienware shipped a "restore cd" with the computer. If that is the case your good to go. Alienware might be the only company that still does that.

Don't get me wrong about Alienware. If you are getting great results then wonderful. :D  I have just seen way to many come back to the store. I know many individuals in Service Department where I work... that's right I work in electronics store. (not telling what I do, which store or where it is at :P) We just cant get rid of them. Many come back regularly with issues and have to be resold at a markdown. Many times it takes many mark downs until they finally get sold.  When you see things happening like this happening way more than other models it puts you off to the whole concept. I am not to only one. I don't know anyone where I work or others in the local industry that are interested it buying them. I meet others when we go to vendor events where they train individuals and offer prices, movies etc. Best Buy, Frys, Tiger Microcenter etc. I just thought I'd clear up the reason why a alien wouldn't want an Alienware.. :D :D :D :D :D

So your like, live tech support? :) Good shit! (friending you now...) Nope. No problem's whatsoever. The only issue I can come up with about Alienware, is the fact that a system known to handle video games well (specifically), comes with a graphics card than can barely run Sims 3 (fully dependent on graphics), or Skyrim on high graphics (again, graphics heavy). This thing is a monster with a GEFORCE GTX 650. I had to down grade from a 660, because the card barely fit in my comp, and it had a tiny little fan on it (overheated, for obvious reasons).

Alien Respawn has served me well in terminating programs that should not be running.

I will likely get a seriously badass HD to save my whole goddam comp on! No chances will be taken.

Consider, if you will, the fact that hackers target mostly good computers. A beat up old mac is hardly of interest to a hacker. It will likely be used simply to look up sites, and maybe a little online shopping. An Alienware i-7, on the other hand, would likely have a bunch of games on it, meaning many more online purchases. Probably reasonable to assume that many Alienware owners are modders, so that means programs, programs, programs.

Therefore, Alienware users are at greater risk of attack, because their computer has far more interest stuff. This means that many of your returns could be due viruses sent to their comps. Something I'm quite ready for, at this point, considering how many times my comp has been attacted now...

At any rate, thank you for the replies, and I'll be buying this HD soon, after my car gets fixed (need to figure out my HD budget :P), and then I'll check/maybe delete these odd files, after making a backup of my beloved Alienware.

I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you all very much! :)

So your like, live tech support?

Not exactly. I know enough to get in trouble. :P Boy have I ever gotten in trouble before. ..

Consider, if you will, the fact that hackers target mostly good computers. A beat up old mac is hardly of interest to a hacker. It will likely be used simply to look up sites, and maybe a little online shopping. An Alienware i-7, on the other hand, would likely have a bunch of games on it, meaning many more online purchases. Probably reasonable to assume that many Alienware owners are modders, so that means programs, programs, programs.

Therefore, Alienware users are at greater risk of attack, because their computer has far more interest stuff.

Nope the reason you are attacked is because you run Windows. Windows is a majority OS in the world and thus it is a primary target. Simply put. It is easier for hackers to deploy viruses to those computers because there are more to hit. Your comment made me think. Alienware has added software that isn't normally on computers. Perhaps there is some exploits that can be accessed from that software. Kind of like various software exploits of Java and Web Browsers. An excellent antivirus and perhaps Malwarebytes might help.

This means that many of your returns could be due viruses sent to their comps. Something I'm quite ready for, at this point, considering how many times my comp has been attacted now...

Not the case. Graphic cards. Liquid cooling failing. DVD roms not opening. Sure sometimes Viruses happen. The returns are checked before being accepted if it shows any signs of a virus attack. If so they are likely not to get the return. At least not the full amount. The computer has to be in "Like New Condition" Infected computers aren't like new. That doesn't explain why it takes months for a powerful computer to sell

Anyway. The stats of the computer is good to great. If it is running great for you than that is wonderful. Maybe in the future you might get the confidence to build your next computer when this one is ready to retire, or buy another Alienware. :P and take it easy. :lol:

Good shit! (friending you now...)

No problem I am usually easy going.

Archived