*Important Notice : DMM is now trying to block the access from outside of Japan. (Error Code : 801)

DMM is developing next version of DMM Game Player now, and the New DMM Game player under development blocks overseas access.

Unfortunately, VPN accesss will be blocked as well. 

DMMは現在DMMゲームプレーヤーの次のバージョンを開発しており、開発中の新しいDMMゲームプレーヤーは海外へのアクセスをブロックしています。

残念ながら、VPNアクセスもブロックされるようです。

(Japanese) Link: https://help.dmm.com/-/detail/=/qid=45604/

2.png

Edited by hellven444444
  • hellven444444 changed the title to *Important Notice : DMM is now trying to block the access from outside of Japan. (Error Code : 801)

That warning has been there for years long before the dmm player beta existed.

It happened when you tried to access dmm.co.jp content from dmm.com page.

They will throw that warning and redirect you to dmm.com.

How about giving a link to official statement instead of giving a picture with almost no context & unrelated help page?

14 hours ago, Blarraven said:

That warning has been there for years long before the dmm player beta existed.

It happened when you tried to access dmm.co.jp content from dmm.com page.

They will throw that warning and redirect you to dmm.com.

How about giving a link to official statement instead of giving a picture with almost no context & unrelated help page?

To translate Japanese for you, the "Support page" has added information that says "Don't use VPN" in order to access."

This shows their will to prevent VPN access as well. I think that's a case worth worrying about.

Edited by hellven444444

Not to be a contrarian, but you don't even need a VPN to play Venus Vacation right now. So them saying they don't want you to use a VPN doesn't seem like a cause for alarm by itself; their official stance has always been that they don't want you playing overseas, period, but they've done very little to prevent you from doing so.

Say there's a sign that says "don't walk on the grass." The sign is a statement of will; there's no force that keeps me from walking on the grass beyond institutional respect. If they put up an asterisk next to "grass" and add a footnote that says "don't saunter, traipse, or amble on the grass," nothing has fundamentally changed. I wasn't supposed to walk on the grass before, I'm not supposed to walk on it now, and there's no meaningful obstacle to keep me off the grass if it's my intent to do so

13 hours ago, hellven444444 said:

To translate Japanese for you, the "Support page" has added information that says "Don't use VPN" in order to access."

This shows their will to prevent VPN access as well. I think that's a case worth worrying about.

That is a trouble shooting page. If a doctor advises you not to drink when you have a fever, that doesn't necessarily mean the doctor is a prohibitionist.

Even if DMM does hold a stance against VPN, a stance is often just a stance for Japanese culture. They may still be willing to earn the oveseas dollors behind such an offical stance.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, Dudebro90 said:

Not to be a contrarian, but you don't even need a VPN to play Venus Vacation right now. So them saying they don't want you to use a VPN doesn't seem like a cause for alarm by itself; their official stance has always been that they don't want you playing overseas, period, but they've done very little to prevent you from doing so.

Say there's a sign that says "don't walk on the grass." The sign is a statement of will; there's no force that keeps me from walking on the grass beyond institutional respect. If they put up an asterisk next to "grass" and add a footnote that says "don't saunter, traipse, or amble on the grass," nothing has fundamentally changed. I wasn't supposed to walk on the grass before, I'm not supposed to walk on it now, and there's no meaningful obstacle to keep me off the grass if it's my intent to do so

"日本国外からのアクセスの場合はDMMの一部サービスを利用できません。"

"日本国内からのアクセスの場合は、以下ご利用環境を確認してください。... VPN/プロキシ接続を行っていないか"

Good luck when a new version is released.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:10 AM, lostcolors said:

That is a trouble shooting page. If a doctor advises you not to drink when you have a fever, that doesn't necessarily mean the doctor is a prohibitionist.

Even if DMM does hold a stance against VPN, a stance is often just a stance for Japanese culture. They may still be willing to earn the oveseas dollors behind such an offical stance.

"日本国外からのアクセスの場合はDMMの一部サービスを利用できません。"

"日本国内からのアクセスの場合は、以下ご利用環境を確認してください。... VPN/プロキシ接続を行っていないか"

Good luck when a new version is released.

The page you linked and quoted from is to troubleshoot the "This service is not available in your region" message at the DMM website. In case people receive the message while they're connecting from Japan, it lists some possible causes. One of the causes is being connected through proxy or VPN.

It does not say that VPN or proxies are forbidden to use. It's more like "In case you receive this error while connecting from Japan, please check that you don't route your traffic via a foreign IP".

Even if DMM wanted to block all VPN traffic, it wouldn't be easy for them. Most VPN companies today get around VPN blocks either by constantly switching IPs to avoid blocklists or by using obfuscation to make the traffic completely indistinguishable from regular traffic. Large companies like Netflix or countries like China are struggling to block VPNs. I don't see how DMM would succeed where they did not.

Also I would imagine a lot of Japanese users are also connecting via VPNs. VPN usage is increasing everywhere and Japan is likely no exception. If DMM somehow managed to block all VPN traffic I don't think the Japanese VPN users would be very happy about it. While they might ignore complaints from foreign users, receiving complaints from Japanese users would be a different story.

It remains to be seen if the region block in the beta version of DMM Game Player is even permanent or if it's just for the beta version. Either way you will still be able to play if you start the game while being connected via a VPN server in Japan.

• 1 month later...

Welp, new version of DMM player just rolled out and its just as we feared. They are allergic to your dirty foreign money and region locked the whole storefront. Bet the people who doubted it is finding it pretty funny.

Can anyone with VPN access confirm if it still works that way?

New DMM player blocks foreign access of the game. You can still start the launcher and access the game, but you CANT play on your own PC. New standart launch of the game is the browser version. To play as you usually do, you need a VPN to start the local installed game! (Orange Button: Browser Version | White Button below: Local Installed Version)

Anyone not wanting to buy a VPN service, use TUNNELBEAR! It got 500MB free traffic each month, which is enough to start up the game! Just dont download or stream while you have the connection to japanese servers.

Also, install the VPN software while Anti-virus software is disabled or you wont be able to connect to other servers.

Edited by knight77

I started it with ProtonVPN, and then disconnected. Didn't stop me from accessing the game. I tested it again to make sure. It doesn't stop me from launching the game from the DoAXVV launcher. Only from the DMM Launcher if you're not using a VPN. ProtonVPN works for me. They have a free version that has no data limits, but it limits you to free servers. Luckily, Japan has 3 free servers. I installed it on my laptop that has no mods without it effecting my settings. I'm gonna try on my desktop that has the mods.

7 minutes ago, HarryOne said:

I started it with ProtonVPN, and then disconnected. Didn't stop me from accessing the game. I tested it again to make sure. It doesn't stop me from launching the game from the DoAXVV launcher. Only from the DMM Launcher if you're not using a VPN. ProtonVPN works for me. They have a free version that has no data limits, but it limits you to free servers. Luckily, Japan has 3 free servers. I installed it on my laptop that has no mods without it effecting my settings. I'm gonna try on my desktop that has the mods.

I can connect with VPN in the desktop version and all mods are working for me.

Yeah, it didn't effect my mods or the settings of my mods. That's nice. At the very least, the new DMM players has the courtesy of "reinstalling" the game in the same folder, so it doesn't actually change anything. Oh, and I confirmed that the free JPN servers of ProtonVPN work to launch the game. Just make sure you launch DMM with the VPN connected. It will recognize that you're using a VPN with the free servers if you connect after launching DMM.

Edited by HarryOne
3 hours ago, HarryOne said:

I get an error if i disconnect, when exactly did you disconnect?