IGNORED

Elder Scrolls Online and MMO Thoughts

hafertaler

So I checked out the material on the Elder Scrolls Online Page, like videos and screenshots.

And one thing kind of pissed me off: the video "Journey to Coldharbour" mentions how Molag Bal has stolen YOUR soul and that one of the mysteries is why he did it and that you have to travel to his realm to solve this.

So far so good, now here is my problem with this: This is a story line for a Single Player game.

I'm not a "pro" when it comes to MMO's, I've only played SWTOR so far and it had the exact same problem, it was only filled with Single Player game quests. As a smuggler you have to find the biggest treasure ever and it boils down to ~1000 credits and a green item (quality right above absolute crap), which is the same amount of loot you get for completing any quest on that level.

In the end of the storylines the same thing happens: as an inquisitor you get a seat at the dark council... you and your other 300k inquisitor friends...

So for ESO it sounds to me like this: Molag Bal has this awesome plan to rule the earth (or something), but there's just one thing, there are just around one million guys/girls who can hinder his plans with their souls intact so he has to steal the souls of these one million people .... or to complete his ambitions he needs just the souls of one million special people, hopefully he doesn't misplace one of those. Either way it comes down to a not so perfect plan if you ask me.

I hope you get what I'm complaining about, but this would work soooo much better in a single player game where repercussions and actual effects could be seen after something happens or where not everyone playing this game is affected by the same fate. Granted, everyone playing a single player game is affected by the same fate as you, but in their own game or world or whatever you like to call it. It's less immersion breaking for me.

I guess this is a general problem with storylines in mmo's, but I just can't get over it.

So if you have any thoughts about this, please share.

And two things: english is not my native language, so please bear with me on that front and I don't know if I picked the right forum for this thread, maybe it would have been better to post this in the gaming forum and if some moderators think so: I'm sorry : )

Chosen One plots have become a thing in MMOs, and I don't really know why.

I mean in Age of Conan you were some destined hero of destiny, in SWTOR you're the greatest X in the history of X, in Guild Wars 2 you're the greatest military commander of all time (though the limelight does get stolen from you by General Tepid McBoring).

Even WoW which generally tended to avoid this did it in places like Hyjal. "You are the chosen Guadian of Hyjal! Along with those 20 other people running around you."

Bonus points for making an Orc the guardian. "Now, protect this sacred forest... STOP CHOPPING DOWN THOSE TREES!"

I suppose they want to give the player a sense of agency, but that's what single player games are for.

And it's more than a little jarring to come off a plot where you are the great hero and get lumped into a dungeon or raid where you are about as individually capable as a mouse that's about to have a brick dropped on it.

There is already a thread for this in the gaming section.

Good to know, I searched - really - but the question is for what I should have searched? I searched for Elder Scrolls Online, eso and looked over the names of the threads on the first page in this forum and the gaming one, but didn't find anything... can I pull the "Me bad english"-card on this one?

@leddis3: exactly and after saving an amount of x galaxies from certain destruction your next job is to scan some towers with your binoculars.... nobody else was capable enough Oo

Yeah one of the big issues is scale.

Like in SWTOR. I'm the big bad Sith Lord. The Emperor's right hand. Ominous music plays when I appear. I kill people with a wave of my hand. Everybody fears the diminutive psychopath.. and I at least think the Sith Warrior route was fairly well written in this regard.

Then I'd go to a raid (which is set chronologically after all of this) and need the help of 14 other people to take down two measly bounty hunters who spend all day getting drunk in a gambling den.

I'd understand the need to team up to take down some cosmic horror, but a pair of mooks? Seriously? Willing suspension of disbelief is toast.

I understand your complaint.

It does seem odd how a god figure like Molag Bal would risk failing in his master plan by attempting to steal X amount of souls when each attempt has a 50% failure rate or higher.

That being said..I am really excited for the Elder Scrolls MMO.

I don't think ESO really has a genuine plan to implement its storyline in a good way.  I really do think it's just meant to be all "OMG DAEDRIC GOD LETS KILL IT GUYZZZZ!" 

MMO companies keep their casual gamers in their thoughts first and foremost.  That means more of the same WoW-style gameplay.  Sure, it's a different storyline, but that doesn't make it a good game.  Gameplay mechanics must be taken into account, and it just sounds like WoW.  I have WoW.  I'm subscribed to WoW, and I'll probably be unsubscribing from boredom soon.  Why would I want to spend more money to be bored, grinding levels the same way in a different setting?  Sure, I can be a badass lizardman, but I can do that in the single-player ES games.

There's not much else to say regarding ESO.  It really just sounds like WoW, and I've heard about some unique parts about it, but those unique parts are minor, and they're being put out there like they're industry-changing world events for all of us to behold.  That's never a good sign.

Not to mention, the visuals just look goofy.  I get that most people don't have a gaming computer, but come on.  Really? 

Really I'm not fond of a Daedra being the antagonist.

I never liked it in Oblivion either. To me the Daedra Princes worked best as background characters or manipulators.

Of course this being an MMO he'll be the first of many, so let's hope there's something more original in store.

And hopefully no downscaling like SWTOR with it's "OMG galactic threats! OMG civil war! OMG world eating emperor! OMG Hutts... wait.. what? Hutts? Really?"

And yes if you're wondering I pretty much do bash SWTOR every chance I get. Because screw that game.

Free to play in half a year, and the console versions will bomb horribly.

But let's be honest, the whole chosen one thing has been used in Elder Scrolls before. In Morrowind, you're this and that and the other thing while Azura loves you, while in Oblivion you're a divine crusader blessed by the Nine (until you're naughty and then everybody says they used to look up to you), and in Skyrim you're some guy who shouts I'M A FUCKING DRAGON BITCH and then yiffs. Molag Bal was picked because I think they just got tired of it always being Dagon; Arena, Battlespire and Oblivion were enough for him.

I bet you anything that they never make any reference to Molag being the KING OF RAPE in the MMO.

I bet you anything that they never make any reference to Molag being the KING OF RAPE in the MMO.

Be sure they wont.

Either way it's interesting the fact that they make it like a sp game but.... that's what swtor did and it didn't even reach one year before it went fp2(damn now im angry i even bought that game). I do hope i'm wrong i really do, but when you see all this new p2p games failing and going f2p (and they say oh we have talked whit the community and it's better..bullshit.. well i know that perfectwolrd entertainment is doing well but hell that's another story) you start to see a pattern. 

Be sure they wont.

Either way it's interesting the fact that they make it like a sp game but.... that's what swtor did and it didn't even reach one year before it went fp2(damn now im angry i even bought that game). I do hope i'm wrong i really do, but when you see all this new p2p games failing and going f2p (and they say oh we have talked whit the community and it's better..bullshit.. well i know that perfectwolrd entertainment is doing well but hell that's another story) you start to see a pattern. 

Eh Perfect World have and excuse, their games were f2p from the start (anet also has an excuse since GW and the vastly inferior GW2 were f2p from the start as well.)

I wasn't all too interested in this anyway, for me TES games are massive single player experiences, not multiplayer ones. And while I don't mind the "you're the chosen one now do this, this and that" storylines (I played GW for years and that was the basic premise of its storylines) I do think that trying to turn a series that's mostly single player into an MMO is a bad idea, they should've just spent the time, money and effort in making TES:VI.

But don't you know? MMOs are a total cash crop ever since WoW came out in 2004! Even though, you know, almost every single one that's tried to cash in has failed and become either free to play, or ceased to exist completely within a very short time, thus making all the time and effort that went into making them a hard sell because without the monthly fee, they have to trick people into paying small sums for items, or levels.

So come on, jump on this nine year old bandwagon to fortune that has a nearly 95% failure rate!

Free to play in half a year, and the console versions will bomb horribly.

But let's be honest, the whole chosen one thing has been used in Elder Scrolls before. In Morrowind, you're this and that and the other thing while Azura loves you, while in Oblivion you're a divine crusader blessed by the Nine (until you're naughty and then everybody says they used to look up to you), and in Skyrim you're some guy who shouts I'M A FUCKING DRAGON BITCH and then yiffs. Molag Bal was picked because I think they just got tired of it always being Dagon; Arena, Battlespire and Oblivion were enough for him.

But you see Dagon is the only one who even begins to make sense as someone who directly interferes, being the Prince of change and destruction.

That's his job!

But yeah, King of Rape. I still remember how Age of Conan was considered "hardcore adult" because the women could have bare breasts with low res nipples and everything. But with a thong painted on, of course. And no male nudity.

Archived