game used to work just fine - came back to it yesterday and what happen is, I run SKSE, it does the vfs thing, then it says Mod Organizer is locked while the application is running SkyrimSE.exe, then that box goes away and MO2 is available again.

Steam made me reinstall skyrim (but I made a copy of my install folder first then copied that back over the new install) 

What log should I be looking for to figure out what is wrong?? Can anyone help, this is distressing!

When is that anniversary edition suppose to come out? Did you have automatic updates turned off? I would check and see if you now have the skyrim anniversary edition installed and if you do then there's not much that can be done till SKSE is updated. 11/11/21 was when skyrim anniversary kicked in.

5 minutes ago, myuhinny said:

When is that anniversary edition suppose to come out? Did you have automatic updates turned off? I would check and see if you now have the skyrim anniversary edition installed and if you do then there's not much that can be done till SKSE is updated.

I saved my pre-AE folder before the steam install then dropped my copy back on top.
I had update turned off and removed the manifest file, but when I went back to the game Steam was insisting that Skyrim was not installed (though I had not changed anything since it last worked)

All I have done is added and removed some mods, so unless the install has messed with somethine else, I think I need to check which logfiles I should look at to figure out of skse had a problem or if skyrimse.exe did or whatever

1 you launch MO2   :  it is your Mod Manager everything goes though your mod manager ( installing mods and running the game )

2 you launch  SKSE through MO2 ,  than Mo2 Locks , than skyrimSE is launch through SKSE  asking you to load a game or start a new game .

if the game is not launching verify you game version skyrimSE.exe  is not 1.6 ( AE )  but 1.5  .   and running the correct version  skse loader .

verify if no missing masters . and not LE Mods . also exclude any added CC Mods ( might bug ; you can put them back when all is working  ) .

you might need to restart a new game ( often the case ) .  verify also UAC and anti-virus exclusions .

good luck