Barotrauma Adult Mods?

From what I can tell, the mod is mostly pregnancy and futa, with bursting. They implemented "sex" by defining a penis as an appendage and made it "thrust" by making it be able to be used for attack, like a husk stinger.  When it hits, it can cause pregnancy. There are items you can buy in vending machines that cause a variety of effects like growing a dick and pregnancy. There are many kinds of pregnancy, which increase belly size. If it exceeds a limit, bursting occurs though this can be prevented with one of the medications from the vending machine. I think there's new clothes (like a tentacle suit?), but I haven't tested/translated them. There's also an (untranslated) mission in the files that I've been trying to force to occur with no luck. It looks like a drinking contest where the character unknowingly drinks a liquid that impregnates them. This mod also looks like its a heavily modified version of some other mod, just from how the files are structured, though I don't know what it is.

Honestly, I don't think you can do much better than this mod for content package type mods. Content packages seem very rigid in what they allow to occur, its not a proper scripting system. The barotrauma engine also seems very limited, in that you can't define and use custom animations at any time since the game lacks actual animations; it implements them as physics on a ragdoll. Even implementing these fake animations, I believe you are limited to redefining animations the game knows about like "Run" and "SwimFast", and cannot add custom animations which are fired when conditions are met. You might be able to do better with lua for barotrauma, but with a cursory glance you would need to patch the game executable itself with that mod; its more invasive than content packages. Even then, you would probably still be limited to moving the ragdoll with forces to simulate animations, unless you manage to create your own rendering system somehow on top of it.

I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, I can see why Strange Europa has been the most in-depth barotrauma mod I've seen on here. With content packages, the best you can get is essentially reskins, new status effects, new enemies, new items, and new missions. Massive behavioral changes seem untenable without a lot of work, like proper animations. I was hoping I could learn how to mod barotrauma by updating Strange Europa but honestly looking at all the limitations of content packages has kinda killed my motivation. I'd love to hear someone else's experience with barotrauma mods. 

All that being said, I can try disabling parts of the mod that people don't like if I'm requested, like bursting and futa. I'm also open to extending it if requested; one of the earlier comments here mentioned spawning something during birth, which seems possible. 

On 4/26/2023 at 8:26 AM, Matias Torres said:

I downloaded the Strange Europa mod from this thread and patched it enough to load in the latest Barotrauma. Still throws a bunch of warnings though, but most seem harmless/the game corrects them. My testing has been light, and I didn't completely translate the mod. I also don't speak Chinese so what is translated is likely pretty shitty. I put the script to create a patched mod at https://gitgud.io/matiastorres/strange-europa-patched and have a build at https://anonfiles.com/afQb66neza/

Is it possible to modify the character files and replace the males with the ones from EuropaWaifu++? And add ofc the penis to them from Strange Europa? I don't know how to do it, but maybe someone here knows how?

2 hours ago, Halakason said:

Is it possible to modify the character files and replace the males with the ones from EuropaWaifu++? And add ofc the penis to them from Strange Europa? I don't know how to do it, but maybe someone here knows how?

It seems possible, but its a lot of work. Barotrauma mods can override character files by species, not species and gender. Furthermore, I don't think its possible to vary a ragdoll file by gender as well. That means only one character mod and one ragdoll file file can be active for humans. This seems somewhat like an engine limitation as all ragdolls/limb configurations are uniquely id'ed/looked up by species name, so allowing 2 character files for a single species would likely require a lot of changes on the Barotrauma side.

The only way to combine those mods would be to literally combine those mods' character files. However, the sprite layouts, limb setups, and probably animations too are completely different between both mods.  You would have to rearrange all the sprite sheets from one of those mods to agree with the other, then ensure that limb setups and animations still work. I think fixing the limb setups might require editing the art from one of the mods as well since the limb setups are different, like extending and shrinking limb parts to ensure they connect correctly visually. 

TL;DR: Possible, but it looks like a lot of work.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, Matias Torres said:

From what I can tell, the mod is mostly pregnancy and futa, with bursting. They implemented "sex" by defining a penis as an appendage and made it "thrust" by making it be able to be used for attack, like a husk stinger.  When it hits, it can cause pregnancy. There are items you can buy in vending machines that cause a variety of effects like growing a dick and pregnancy. There are many kinds of pregnancy, which increase belly size. If it exceeds a limit, bursting occurs though this can be prevented with one of the medications from the vending machine. I think there's new clothes (like a tentacle suit?), but I haven't tested/translated them. There's also an (untranslated) mission in the files that I've been trying to force to occur with no luck. It looks like a drinking contest where the character unknowingly drinks a liquid that impregnates them. This mod also looks like its a heavily modified version of some other mod, just from how the files are structured, though I don't know what it is.

Honestly, I don't think you can do much better than this mod for content package type mods. Content packages seem very rigid in what they allow to occur, its not a proper scripting system. The barotrauma engine also seems very limited, in that you can't define and use custom animations at any time since the game lacks actual animations; it implements them as physics on a ragdoll. Even implementing these fake animations, I believe you are limited to redefining animations the game knows about like "Run" and "SwimFast", and cannot add custom animations which are fired when conditions are met. You might be able to do better with lua for barotrauma, but with a cursory glance you would need to patch the game executable itself with that mod; its more invasive than content packages. Even then, you would probably still be limited to moving the ragdoll with forces to simulate animations, unless you manage to create your own rendering system somehow on top of it.

I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, I can see why Strange Europa has been the most in-depth barotrauma mod I've seen on here. With content packages, the best you can get is essentially reskins, new status effects, new enemies, new items, and new missions. Massive behavioral changes seem untenable without a lot of work, like proper animations. I was hoping I could learn how to mod barotrauma by updating Strange Europa but honestly looking at all the limitations of content packages has kinda killed my motivation. I'd love to hear someone else's experience with barotrauma mods. 

All that being said, I can try disabling parts of the mod that people don't like if I'm requested, like bursting and futa. I'm also open to extending it if requested; one of the earlier comments here mentioned spawning something during birth, which seems possible. 

Spawning an enemy as part of bursting definitely seems interesting, if you're willing to test that.

Also with a name like that, "Hero of Cum-birth harbor" randomly popped into my head given you're doing work.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:39 PM, Matias Torres said:

I wasn't even aware that Strange Europa was being kept up to date.  I guess I will give it a try.  

If possible, could you tell me how to disable the bursting?  (I'm really hoping its just commenting out a few lines from 1 file, but I doubt it.)

On 4/30/2023 at 3:11 AM, Matias Torres said:

It seems possible, but its a lot of work. Barotrauma mods can override character files by species, not species and gender. Furthermore, I don't think its possible to vary a ragdoll file by gender as well. That means only one character mod and one ragdoll file file can be active for humans. This seems somewhat like an engine limitation as all ragdolls/limb configurations are uniquely id'ed/looked up by species name, so allowing 2 character files for a single species would likely require a lot of changes on the Barotrauma side.

The only way to combine those mods would be to literally combine those mods' character files. However, the sprite layouts, limb setups, and probably animations too are completely different between both mods.  You would have to rearrange all the sprite sheets from one of those mods to agree with the other, then ensure that limb setups and animations still work. I think fixing the limb setups might require editing the art from one of the mods as well since the limb setups are different, like extending and shrinking limb parts to ensure they connect correctly visually. 

TL;DR: Possible, but it looks like a lot of work.

I mean, Europa Waifu ++ manages to separate armor textures by gender, same thing with the body parts, names etc as well. Maybe what matters is editing humans.xml, merge the male textures/parts from Europa Waifu with the mod (so we can add the genitals) and fix up the animations so everything is compatible and done.

Problem is I don't know exactly how the parts are sectioned out and edited as well as animations. But I do believe it is possible as you said but work is needed.

Someone here who understands more than me can do this?

On 4/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, Matias Torres said:

Hey, if you've got the drive to work/expand on this. Have at it. It'll be fun to watch what comes from this.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:29 AM, Kat84 said:

Spawning an enemy as part of bursting definitely seems interesting, if you're willing to test that.

Yeah sure, I'll try it out. To start I think I'll make a husk spawn no matter what. Probably would be best to eventually determine the type of preg that caused death to choose the spawn, like husk symbiotes spawn husks, and raptor banes spawn the items.

Hero of Cum-birth harbor

LMAO

18 hours ago, jimboguy said:

I wasn't even aware that Strange Europa was being kept up to date.  I guess I will give it a try.  

If possible, could you tell me how to disable the bursting?  (I'm really hoping its just commenting out a few lines from 1 file, but I doubt it.)

Yeah its a bit complicated to disable. There's 3 bursting states with the following identifiers: breastpreg3, bellypreg3, and testiclepreg3. You can either prevent these states from being reached, or you can neutralize their effects. I'll go through both, but keep in mind its probably easier to just use the body enhancer from the vending machine since it will prevent death from these states.

The first method is to prevent these states from being reached. In the "Content\preg\preg_afflictions.xml" file, you'll find the 3 afflictions at the top, with identifiers "breastpreg", "bellypreg", and "testiclepreg". Inside each of these afflictions you'll find a single Effect tag, each with a series of StatusEffect tags. Inside each status effect tag, you'll find an Affliction tag that looks like `<Affliction identifier="breastpreg3" strength="0" />`, with the identifier being one of the bursting ones. You want to find all the bursting states in all of these StatusEffect tags and set the "strength" value to 0, preventing its activation. 

The second method it to prevent these bursting states from causing death. In the same "Content\preg\preg_afflictions.xml" file, you'll find the bursting states in one of the top-level Affliction tags. The final effect tag in each of these has a status effect tag like the following:
```
<StatusEffect target="Character" SpeedMultiplier="1" setvalue="false">
          <Affliction identifier="lacerations" amount="0.05" />
          <Affliction identifier="bloodloss" amount="0.05" />
          <Affliction identifier="organdamage" amount="0.05" />
</StatusEffect>
```
Remove it, or change the amount to 0.  If damage is not taken in these states, bursting is essentially disabled.

All this work is part of the reason I made a script to patch the old mod instead of just doing it by hand. Doing these kinds of changes with code is easier than by hand. I can patch bursting out of this mod for you if you want as well. I think adding "features" for mod "builds", like "no-burst" or "no-testicle-preg" might be an interesting project.

13 hours ago, Halakason said:

I mean, Europa Waifu ++ manages to separate armor textures by gender, same thing with the body parts, names etc as well. Maybe what matters is editing humans.xml, merge the male textures/parts from Europa Waifu with the mod (so we can add the genitals) and fix up the animations so everything is compatible and done.

Problem is I don't know exactly how the parts are sectioned out and edited as well as animations. But I do believe it is possible as you said but work is needed.

Someone here who understands more than me can do this?

Yeah, merging humans.xml is the issue. Textures/animations/ragdolls for both males and females must be handled by a single humans.xml file. Each humans.xml file can only have one ragdoll file. Europa Waifu and Strange Europa have different ragdoll files. In order to merge the ragdoll files, you must change the limb layouts to be the same. Since you are changing the limb layouts to be the same, you must change the art to fit the new layout. Also, since you are changing the limb layouts, you must change the animation files. The fact that you can't specify a human.xml file per gender ends up making this quite a bit of work. Personally, I don't want to try this since it seems like a big project that I have little interest in. Maybe someone else can pick it up. 

6 hours ago, SaintHusky said:

Hey, if you've got the drive to work/expand on this. Have at it. It'll be fun to watch what comes from this.

Thanks. Not sure how far I want to go though. Like I said, I was pretty disappointed by the limitations of this format, but I'll try to keep this mod operational and add a few extra features if I can. Suggestions are always helpful, as I'm not too sure where I want to go from here. I mainly just wanted to get this working again. Now that it is, maybe I'll try to fix more warnings or attempt to translate the mission file or items.

4 hours ago, Matias Torres said:

Thanks. Not sure how far I want to go though. Like I said, I was pretty disappointed by the limitations of this format, but I'll try to keep this mod operational and add a few extra features if I can. Suggestions are always helpful, as I'm not too sure where I want to go from here. I mainly just wanted to get this working again. Now that it is, maybe I'll try to fix more warnings or attempt to translate the mission file or items.

I mean, for what it is rn it's not bad. From what I remember, there used to be clothes that worked with it. But then the original author wanted to redo all of them... And that's the last version we got. Naked. So if there's a person who can sprite... I'd say either clothes or make more enemies/creatures use the impregnating attack instead of their default attack.

17 hours ago, Matias Torres said:

Yeah, merging humans.xml is the issue. Textures/animations/ragdolls for both males and females must be handled by a single humans.xml file. Each humans.xml file can only have one ragdoll file. Europa Waifu and Strange Europa have different ragdoll files. In order to merge the ragdoll files, you must change the limb layouts to be the same. Since you are changing the limb layouts to be the same, you must change the art to fit the new layout. Also, since you are changing the limb layouts, you must change the animation files. The fact that you can't specify a human.xml file per gender ends up making this quite a bit of work. Personally, I don't want to try this since it seems like a big project that I have little interest in. Maybe someone else can pick it up. 

Hmm.... can you at least merge the limb layout for me? I genuinely have no idea how that works, leave the rest to me when it comes to humans.xml and the animations, been playing around with the ingame editor recently and I "think" I know how it works..

18 hours ago, SaintHusky said:

I mean, for what it is rn it's not bad. From what I remember, there used to be clothes that worked with it. But then the original author wanted to redo all of them... And that's the last version we got. Naked. So if there's a person who can sprite... I'd say either clothes or make more enemies/creatures use the impregnating attack instead of their default attack.

Since my patches are based on a script and not actual physically patching the files directly, I can probably just give the script the old mod files and see if that works out. Do you have the clothed version, or at least the sprites? Also that impregnating attack thing sounds interesting, I'll try to look into it. Would be pretty funny if everything in the game just killed by knocking up your characters. As a side note though, I noticed that this mod overrides the "Watchers Gaze" to induce random preg afflictions; when you hit a character with a dick, they usually gain that affliction, followed by a random preg affliction. That means the Watcher knocks up your characters just by looking at them lol. 

Edit:
Lol, they implemented naked by literally removing all the textures for clothing. The clothes are still in the code, they just have empty textures. If you have the spritesheets for the clothes, I can try to incorporate that into a build.

Edited by Matias Torres
Update
5 hours ago, Halakason said:

Hmm.... can you at least merge the limb layout for me? I genuinely have no idea how that works, leave the rest to me when it comes to humans.xml and the animations, been playing around with the ingame editor recently and I "think" I know how it works..

Not sure I can do that, its a bit of an interactive process. By "merge limb layouts", I mean you need to essentially change the sprite locations in the sheet so that they match the other one, resizing and restyling as needed. I think that might prevent the need to modify the animation files. Honestly, its probably easier to fire up the character editor and make new male/female characters yourself, then just tag on the additional changes from the Strange Europa mod after the fact. The only real changes you would need to make after the fact are adding the dick/breasts/belly and changing the audio sources for death/dying. Adding the extra parts will be slightly fiddly. The easiest way would be to import each part into the sprite sheet, attach it how you would like, and save the sourcerects for each sprite from the character file manually. Then you can convert those sprites in the xml into conditional sprites manually and merge into a single limb. Overriding audio is just a matter of copy pasting a few tags, and they even support being differentiated by gender so its not a big issue. I believe that's all that's needed. Also, I haven't actually built a custom character or used the character editor before, I'm just trying to articulate what's needed from a technical standpoint. I hope I've been helpful, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

Edit:
Here's a good resource for the modding basics. Has a lot of docs for xml, and includes the character editor as well:

https://regalis11.github.io/BaroModDoc/

They also have their code publicly available so you can find undocumented field/tags for the xml:
https://github.com/Regalis11/Barotrauma

Edited by Matias Torres
Forgot Links

Also with a name like that, "Hero of Cum-birth harbor" randomly popped into my head given you're doing work.

Got it done, kinda. Fairly easy tbh, took me like 5 minutes. There isn't really a way to tell what affliction killed a character, so I just had it spawn a husk if a character dies with any of the bursting states active. That means if a character is dying from bursting, but a mudraptor comes along and finishes them, a husk will still spawn. Also note that spawning only takes place after the character succumbs, after CPR fails. I thought it would be weird/hard-to-play if spawn an enemy spawns each time CPR is needed. Any further refinements I should do, like have it spawn items/enemies based on type, or do you just want the spawn-husk-on-burst files? I'm thinking about adding this to the git, but first I want to plan how to add some sort of feature system so its easier to manage all of these small changes. 

11 hours ago, Matias Torres said:

Since my patches are based on a script and not actual physically patching the files directly, I can probably just give the script the old mod files and see if that works out. Do you have the clothed version, or at least the sprites? Also that impregnating attack thing sounds interesting, I'll try to look into it. Would be pretty funny if everything in the game just killed by knocking up your characters. As a side note though, I noticed that this mod overrides the "Watchers Gaze" to induce random preg afflictions; when you hit a character with a dick, they usually gain that affliction, followed by a random preg affliction. That means the Watcher knocks up your characters just by looking at them lol. 

Edit:
Lol, they implemented naked by literally removing all the textures for clothing. The clothes are still in the code, they just have empty textures. If you have the spritesheets for the clothes, I can try to incorporate that into a build.

There's the automilker and tentacle clothes that actually scale with breast, belly and dick. So you could look at those.

I don't know why but I can't use the drugs in Strange Europa on my crewmates if their bots. When I grab them and use it on their health screen. It would say they got it but it will transfer to my character health and pretends it was never applied on the crewmate. I don't know if it was intentional or other health mod like neurotrama is effecting it.

Edited by Deviljho-san
10 hours ago, SaintHusky said:

There's the automilker and tentacle clothes that actually scale with breast, belly and dick. So you could look at those.

Yeah, I'll look into those. I think I found an old version of the mod earlier in this thread too with those assets, so I'll attempt to put that in as well. I'm not an artist so I want to avoid editing assets if I can.

3 hours ago, Deviljho-san said:

I don't know why but I can't use the drugs in Strange Europa on my crewmates if their bots. When I grab them and use it on their health screen. It would say they got it but it will transfer to my character health and pretends it was never applied on the crewmate. I don't know if it was intentional or other health mod like neurotrama is effecting it.

No 100% my fault. Barotrauma updated the way item targeting works and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Currently items will target the user of the item, not the item target. Its an easy fix, but a slightly annoying one. I'll work on this too.

7 hours ago, Matias Torres said:

No 100% my fault. Barotrauma updated the way item targeting works and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Currently items will target the user of the item, not the item target. Its an easy fix, but a slightly annoying one. I'll work on this too.

Take your time on it. I'm in no rush. The character sprites are enough for me to enjoy the game. ( I have a weird thing that makes me want to play games with textures and/or sprites that are pleasing for me.) That and real sonar mod is kicking my arse. It proc one time and scared the living crap out of me. lol

4 hours ago, Deviljho-san said:

Take your time on it. I'm in no rush. The character sprites are enough for me to enjoy the game. ( I have a weird thing that makes me want to play games with textures and/or sprites that are pleasing for me.) That and real sonar mod is kicking my arse. It proc one time and scared the living crap out of me. lol

Lol that sounds great. I think I mentioned earlier, but I think this mod is based on another one, probably this one, which might serve you better? IDK. Anyways, I think I patched the medication application issue, fixed the depth unit issue (which only removes some warnings in the debug console) and kinda-patched an issue with mission issuing. This mod was made before the faction rework, so it sometimes tries to issue missions that got deleted. I fixed the one I ran into, but there is most certainly plenty more. I think I want to try to make the script automatically merge the missions from the barotrauma data and the old mod data somehow, but that will require some planning. Here's the build with the fixes I mentioned, LMK if there's any other issues.

[EA-HI] Strange Europa Patched.zip

Did some of the things suggested:

• Translated preg outpost event.
  • Translated preg items.
  • Added option to create mod with clothes (ask me if you want a build with that, mods don't really have settings that can be configured by an end user).
  • Fix the way preg items are applied so they again can be used with the syringe gun.
  • Forced some preg items to be able to be used with the syringe gun.
  • Spawn an enemy on death if in the bursting state.

Note that I haven't tested the clothing mod extensively, I just reused the old clothing assets and confirmed they looked ok.
Also note that the enemy spawned by bursting will usually be a Mudraptor. There isn't a built-in way to spawn anything randomly on death, so I tried to base it off the progression of the bursting state, as in 80-85 = enemy1, 85-90 = enemy2. Mudraptor is at 100, and death caused by bursting usually has a burst progression of 100 unless other damage from other sources are taken. TBH, not sure how the spawn on death burst system should work, would like feedback on that.

Edit:
To test the syringe and burst spawn, I originally docked an outpost and ran around shooting everyone with fertilized eggs. However, I realized that I set the conditionals for spawning as OR and not AND, so every possible spawn ended up spawning from each burst death, which caused a chain reaction as the horde of mudraptors, crawlers, and husks killed each npc in the bursting state, further increasing their numbers. A fucking bloodbath. But maybe it would be interesting to spawn multiple enemies per death?

[EA-HI] Strange Europa Patched.zip

Edited by Matias Torres