What does ENB actually do?

So I've used ENB for both LE and SE for a while, pretty much only because I've been told to. For modding LE its pretty much required as it allows for more computer power to be used and you can turn off the graphical settings which is what I do. But, at least from what I can tell, it doesn't really do anything other than graphical enhancment for SE. For the sake of argument, let's say I have no interest in making the game look better and am ok with the original SE graphics, is it still a good idea to use ENB or is it better left behind?

Well, it still has some bug fixes and perfomance settings.

Still, you're right as far as it doesn't have such huge impact as it has for LE performance, so I'd say if you don't want the visual changes, I'd declare it as optional, but I suggest getting other opinions, too ^^

i have used enb for oblivion when i hade an old PC ( performance issues ) .  got a new ( a laptop ) and forgot about it .

with again a newer laptop i tested skyrim LE , than passed to SE , never needed emb i do not see much difference but a lot of settings and work for small embellishment ( just my thoughts , and my eyes ) .  

if you do not see like me the differences and shades than you do not need it ! ( it is just a mod and optional ) .  The contrary is valid !

First, this is LE not SE.

Second, the are two parts to what people call an 'ENB'. Roughly speaking, one is ENBoost and the other is a preset. ENBoost is basically a memory management tool and the preset is what gives the pretty graphics.

7 hours ago, ashesIIashes said:

For modding LE its pretty much required as it allows for more computer power to be used and you can turn off the graphical settings which is what I do.

For LE ENBoost is pretty much mandatory. It does not have anything to do with computer power, whatever that is. You do not turn off the graphical setting; you just abstain from installing a preset.

Whether the ENBoost part is required for SE I have no idea. As for the graphics, I don't know but would imagine that it is a personal choice thing - happy with the vanilla SE look then you don't need a preset.

6 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

if you do not see like me the differences and shades than you do not need it !

If you have a preset installed correctly then the changes should be very visible, whether they represent an improvement or not. If you do not see any changes then you have not got the preset installed correctly.

Edited by Grey Cloud