Graphicscard dead?

Hey, i wonder if someone may know if my gfx card is now dead.

Here is the thing. First i was not able to morph anymore and then sudden lag within the game.
So i did what i did the last time. I cleaned my card and renewed the paste again.

Only this time, playing fast forward in Sims 4, my screen went black. No resurection.

So, i assume this card is now actually toast. I will try to redo it again and take it apart in hopes this will help.

Anyway, i am lucky as i have a spare card. Very outdated though. Its a Gforce 730Ti with 1GB of onboard ram. It runs with Sims 4. So thats great.

If i would buy a new card, and looking for something around $400 Dollars, what is ok to get?

I have seen a card like Biostar Radeon RX 560 4GB for around $200 Dollar which should be better what i have now, but worst what i had before. Though i just can't afford to pay a $1000 dollars right now.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, wutpickel said:

Hey, i wonder if someone may know if my gfx card is now dead.

Here is the thing. First i was not able to morph anymore and then sudden lag within the game.
So i did what i did the last time. I cleaned my card and renewed the paste again.

Only this time, playing fast forward in Sims 4, my screen went black. No resurection.

So, i assume this card is now actually toast. I will try to redo it again and take it apart in hopes this will help.

Anyway, i am lucky as i have a spare card. Very outdated though. Its a Gforce 730Ti with 1GB of onboard ram. It runs with Sims 4. So thats great.

If i would buy a new card, and looking for something around $400 Dollars, what is ok to get?

I have seen a card like Biostar Radeon RX 560 4GB for around $200 Dollar which should be better what i have now, but worst what i had before. Though i just can't afford to pay a $1000 dollars right now.

Thanks.

Is it that spending a $1000 is impossible or that you can't justify spending that amount?      If it is the latter, then consider buying a new system.   Though this tactic was working earlier this year, suppliers may have caught on as it was becoming "buy this GPU and get this entire computer for only $200 more."

The reason that they can sell this low is because of contractual agreements with companies to purchase X number of GPUs at a set price.   So, you may have to look at off brands (do not buy Lenovo though) as they try to translate low GPU cost into market share (undercut Toshiba for example, while keeping your profit margins what you thought they were going to be in 2020 and 2021 without COVID).  

20 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Is it that spending a $1000 is impossible or that you can't justify spending that amount?      If it is the latter, then consider buying a new system.   Though this tactic was working earlier this year, suppliers may have caught on as it was becoming "buy this GPU and get this entire computer for only $200 more."

The reason that they can sell this low is because of contractual agreements with companies to purchase X number of GPUs at a set price.   So, you may have to look at off brands (do not buy Lenovo though) as they try to translate low GPU cost into market share (undercut Toshiba for example, while keeping your profit margins what you thought they were going to be in 2020 and 2021 without COVID).  

To be honest its both. Can't afford and in no way can i justify that. Besides, i am not anymore a heavy gamer. I just play SIms 4 for now. :)

And Ebay, well everyone heard the signal to sell their junk really high. 

1 hour ago, wutpickel said:

To be honest its both. Can't afford and in no way can i justify that. Besides, i am not anymore a heavy gamer. I just play SIms 4 for now. :)

And Ebay, well everyone heard the signal to sell their junk really high. 

Use your spare card for a while and then recheck the pricing.  Decent graphic card prices are insane now.

2 hours ago, fishburger67 said:

Use your spare card for a while and then recheck the pricing.  Decent graphic card prices are insane now.

You absolutely right. I am surprised how little demanding Sims 4 actually is. It works fine for the most part. So i am having time and no rush.  Still i will try to "repair" the other card if i can. I read that AMD has a black bug. So maybe there is hope. ?

4 hours ago, wutpickel said:

You absolutely right. I am surprised how little demanding Sims 4 actually is. It works fine for the most part. So i am having time and no rush.  Still i will try to "repair" the other card if i can. I read that AMD has a black bug. So maybe there is hope. ?

I had luck too by cleaning off the old thermal grease (completely) and replacing it with fresh.  Overheating GPUs cause weird problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly my old Radeon seems to work again.

So i can hold off on buying a new GFX card for now. 
It lay on the site for some weeks until i decided to try again.