Universal Working Bathroom Fixtures (CWSS and DLCs)-1-8 and its bugs

I guess everyone who uses CWSS Redux knows this addon... And also, they know how many problems it creates in any game with serious mods. For a long time I suffered with him and finally decided to figure it out myself.
So, what does it actually do (or rather, should it do)? It just replaces vanilla fittings with fittings from CWSS Redux.
Well, why is there a rather large archive with scripts and some other crap? We throw it out completely.
Open the mod in F4edit. Some quests, global settings ... everything is in the furnace! There are only cells left ... We are looking ... Some of them the author spoiled with some of his precombines (which create problems). We replace it all with vanilla.
Well, let's try what we did ... Oh miracle, everything works!
But maybe it's just that everything has already been registered in the old saves?
Starting a new game ...
Before the war - pissing, showering,...
Vault 111 - pissing, showering, filling bottles ...
Sanctuary - pissed, washed in the shower and in the bathroom ...
The question is ... what the fuck did the author?

11 hours ago, Spikeyarashi said:

What did the author... ? Go on I came upon this post looking for confirmation about precombines being broken by that mod, now I'm curious about the script thing you mentioned

Scripts? I wrote that I threw them out along with the rest of the archive. And what did they do ... Well, some of them, for example, checked the version of CWSS Redux (a very important matter?).
In this mod, if you do not cheat any garbage, scripts are simply not needed. In general, what is the function of this mod? But this one

image.png.9fd0b143af5eb4dead7d9a085fe9908f.png

replace one item with another. And that's it! Everything else is the inability to rationally approach the solution of the problem. By the way, now the mod can be placed right after the esm - in the worst case, other mods will return some of the plumbing to vanilla.

Edited by vjnmrf

I see, thank you for your reply! I was just curious if those scripts were breaking anything, I haven't noticed more than one or maybe two CWSS active scripts in my current save with both universal fixtures + CWSS Redux and if it was something I should consider for playing with sim settlements for example.

TY for the explanation

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is an xEdit script that does the same thing as Universal Working Bathroom Fixtures. It is truly universal. It even converts locations added by mods with vanilla toilets and showers. It includes some instructions for fixing previs/precombines.

I haven't tried the above yet. Still using the old Universal Working Bathroom Fixtures. I experience a strange issue with the old mod. In some locations the furniture is not interactive.  Dugout Inn showers for example. I discovered this is due to precombines. The game showed the old precombined model which is not interactive. Disabling precombines in my ini fixed.

bUseCombinedObjects=0

Currently playing without precombines. Still getting 60FPS. I might leave them off. Or I might switch to the xEdit script.

Edited by kaxat
14 hours ago, kaxat said:

There is an xEdit script that does the same thing as Universal Working Bathroom Fixtures. It is truly universal. It even converts locations added by mods with vanilla toilets and showers. It includes some instructions for fixing previs/precombines.

Warning (I'm the author) - I believe it only works with an older version of CWSS, I haven't checked FO4 for ages. And yeah, replacing statics like this breaks previs though I had success with the instructions I've posted. Although those won't fix possible problems with locations added by mods.

The 100% correct approach to this would be a scripted replacement - in the same style as Dynamic Things for Skyrim does. 

10 hours ago, phillout said:

Warning (I'm the author) - I believe it only works with an older version of CWSS, I haven't checked FO4 for ages. And yeah, replacing statics like this breaks previs though I had success with the instructions I've posted. Although those won't fix possible problems with locations added by mods.

The 100% correct approach to this would be a scripted replacement - in the same style as Dynamic Things for Skyrim does. 

Can you speculate a little on why it would be broken? Since all it does is replace one model with another.

I am having an issue where the replaced furniture activates the CWSS animations. But doesn't actually clean textures that Get Dirty applied. I wonder if that is related. I have not investigated yet.

Scripting is interesting. I do not believe you can disable the existing model without disabling that precombine. But you can add models. Thus a script would need to add an overlapping model and get some clipping. Or add an invisible one that is probably slightly bigger.

14 hours ago, kaxat said:

Can you speculate a little on why it would be broken? Since all it does is replace one model with another.

I am having an issue where the replaced furniture activates the CWSS animations. But doesn't actually clean textures that Get Dirty applied. I wonder if that is related. I have not investigated yet.

Scripting is interesting. I do not believe you can disable the existing model without disabling that precombine. But you can add models. Thus a script would need to add an overlapping model and get some clipping. Or add an invisible one that is probably slightly bigger.

You can try, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if the author has changed form IDs for the stations so the xEdit script simply wouldn't work at all. I haven't checked so it's a pure speculation. 

Dynamic Things simply disables the references to static objects in the script at run time and injects references to dynamic objects instead. This technique shouldn't affect precombines in any way - it is my understanding that PreVis data gets invalidated only if the game records have been changed while the cell is loaded, not at runtime. This theory is easy to check though, right in the game - by clicking on various static objects in console and disabling them, watching whenever PreVis data gets broken.  I bet it won't, but you can never be 100% sure. I believe Lootable Vertibirds started using this approach as well, after getting just the same results with broken precombines in the initial revisions of the mod and it was working fine last time I've played FO4.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I seem to recall Steve40 mentioning when they made UWBF that they hit problems with just direct replacement (sadly all of that history looks to be gone as it was all on Nexus) - some fixtures needed moving to be usable, and some would be part of 'ruined' areas that are filled with junk - if you use those, you'd clip so far into the ground the game started to have issues. One of the Boston Police Stations was a good example I think, has a couple of urinals half-buried, but I'm going from memory. If you look at some of the replacements, they will edit the position of the fixture as well as the type. Of course, this might also be because it was moving it above the precombined; I have no idea without heavier testing.

There's also a distinction made between the clean sinks and the dirty ones (the latter giving you radiation).

Not to say I disagree with the problems listed in the thread, I'd much prefer working previs - but if anyone takes up the torch of making this work again fully, there might need to be a filter of 'known fixtures' to skip or specifically swap out in a dynamic update.

I'd consider it myself as a fan of the concept, but out of the bits of modding changes I've done, that level of scripting is outside my area of expertise, at least at the moment.

Edited by utkarr
Missed a mod nuance
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm trying to find a solution to changing only the mod added bathroom stuff for some mods I use. One mod is RRTV underground hideout mod it has several showers and toilets but I can't scrap them and replace them with CWSS stuff because there is no workshop in the mod. Adding a workshop would screw up the mod so it would be better to use xedit to change the specific furniture to have CWSS functions instead of removing or replacing them. Although I kinda want to redecorate in that mod since we have so many mods for building but I don't want to break the mod. 

There is an SKK mod for portable workshop but I don't know if it will conflict or if the created items will persist after removing the portable workshop. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, Zor2k13 said:

I'm trying to find a solution to changing only the mod added bathroom stuff for some mods I use. One mod is RRTV underground hideout mod it has several showers and toilets but I can't scrap them and replace them with CWSS stuff because there is no workshop in the mod. Adding a workshop would screw up the mod so it would be better to use xedit to change the specific furniture to have CWSS functions instead of removing or replacing them. Although I kinda want to redecorate in that mod since we have so many mods for building but I don't want to break the mod. 

There is an SKK mod for portable workshop but I don't know if it will conflict or if the created items will persist after removing the portable workshop. 

And what are the problems with RRTV ? Make a patch in FO4edit, it's not difficult. I made myself for Courier Stations and Oberland.

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, utkarr said:

For what it's worth, I seem to recall Steve40 mentioning when they made UWBF that they hit problems with just direct replacement (sadly all of that history looks to be gone as it was all on Nexus) - some fixtures needed moving to be usable, and some would be part of 'ruined' areas that are filled with junk - if you use those, you'd clip so far into the ground the game started to have issues. One of the Boston Police Stations was a good example I think, has a couple of urinals half-buried, but I'm going from memory. If you look at some of the replacements, they will edit the position of the fixture as well as the type. Of course, this might also be because it was moving it above the precombined; I have no idea without heavier testing.

There's also a distinction made between the clean sinks and the dirty ones (the latter giving you radiation).

Not to say I disagree with the problems listed in the thread, I'd much prefer working previs - but if anyone takes up the torch of making this work again fully, there might need to be a filter of 'known fixtures' to skip or specifically swap out in a dynamic update.

I'd consider it myself as a fan of the concept, but out of the bits of modding changes I've done, that level of scripting is outside my area of expertise, at least at the moment.

Alas, nothing good will come from autocorrecting with a script. Actually, the author of the original mod did just that - he changed everything without looking. As a result, we got half-buried working baths, etc. For example, somewhere in a metro station a couple of working sinks and a toilet would be appropriate, but no more. Well, in most places, such as ruins and landfills, they are not needed at all. But this can only be done manually.

• 2 months later...