Is it possible to overcome NMM's 255 mod limit manually?

My skyrim has been at a constant 255 mods for a while, but with LL's amazing mod authors putting out new quality mods I always want to add more. If I just drop/extract the downloaded mods into Skyrim manually while NMM already has 255 mods would that cause CTD or could this actually work?

It is a game limitation not a limitation of NMM (or any other mod manger.)

On Special Edition the limit is  (in some way) doubled, but still not infinite.

The max number of mods (but including also game, update, and dlcs) is limited to 254.

Let's go in order:
1)  manually you can install as many mods as you want
2)  The possible CTD will be calculated by FNIS in the computation of the animations
3)  the mods you install must still have at least the mandatory requirements.
4)  In the event that you manually install mods that overwrite others, identifying the cause of a CTD will become more complex. Once the cause has been identified, it will result in the obvious removal of the entire mod, including the one that has been overwritten and then reinstalled

5) As far as I know, there is no real limit (I have seen with more than 500 mods) to installed mods. It goes without saying that the heavier the game, the greater the problems that will arise

6) The suggestion is not to overdo it but, rather set your modding to only what you want to get out of your Skyrim. Don't install mods just 'cause they're cool. Consider playing with it

39 minutes ago, Grill_Master said:

My skyrim has been at a constant 255 mods for a while, but with LL's amazing mod authors putting out new quality mods I always want to add more. If I just drop/extract the downloaded mods into Skyrim manually while NMM already has 255 mods would that cause CTD or could this actually work?

Use "Merge Plugins" to combine esps into a single esp of like types.

For instance, merge outfit mods you use regularly into a single mod.

Same with followers, etc

Leave the un-merged stuff for things you aren't sure you want to include all the time.

I would not recommend merging complex, scripted mods (like Sexlab mods for instance).

Personally, I'm running around 3500 total mods right now, and my esp count is around 190 thanks to merges.

4 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

Use "Merge Plugins" to combine esps into a single esp of like types.

For instance, merge outfit mods you use regularly into a single mod.

Same with followers, etc

Leave the un-merged stuff for things you aren't sure you want to include all the time.

I would not recommend merging complex, scripted mods (like Sexlab mods for instance).

Personally, I'm running around 3500 total mods right now, and my esp count is around 190 thanks to merges.

When you say use "merge plugins" is that a feature on NMM? If so where is it located?

On 8/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, Lestat1627 said:

1)  manually you can install as many mods as you want

1. The OP is obviously talking about plug-ins not mods.

2. You can install as many mods as you wish but the game does not like it if there are c. 500-600 esps (active and inactive). There is also another limit with some sort of record (the actual name escapes me at the moment) which is about 6000 or so(?).

The OP also has the option of exercising some self-restraint or <gasp> spending some time and effort on understanding how to mod Skyrim.

Edited by Grey Cloud

Reference handles, in se 1047000, is another limit.

One should stay below 900k, as the ref. generated in a save will add to the total.

In esm masters, the temp references will be unloaded and do not count.

The culprit, temp ref in esp will not unload.

So if one is close to the limit, either make some esp esm's or kick out

mods with a huge count. As far I know, Bruma counts up for ca 100k references.

There is a xedit script to count the, I posted it somewhere here, need to look for it.

Here

Edited by T-lam
Link
2 hours ago, T-lam said:

Reference handles, in se 1047000, is another limit.

One should stay below 900k, as the ref. generated in a save will add to the total.

In esm masters, the temp references will be unloaded and do not count.

The culprit, temp ref in esp will not unload.

So if one is close to the limit, either make some esp esm's or kick out

mods with a huge count. As far I know, Bruma counts up for ca 100k references.

There is a xedit script to count the, I posted it somewhere here, need to look for it.

Here

Should take a look at Summerset Isle for Oldrim, that clocks in at 216K ref handles lol.

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2021 at 3:34 AM, redcrow62 said:

idk about you guys but for me I'm able to go way above the plugin limit. don't know why but no matter how many mods I install I'm able to play it smoothly without CTD

and I install everything using NMMdddd.png.2fe94f55129b900fc1a13a148bc59319.png

U can install 5k mods like that but try to run skyrim and see what happend I using in skyrim oldrim more then 400mods. Now u wonder how i did that well simply i merged mods for example i merged 10different eyes mod in one esp same with outfits same with animations also good thing less esp less crash less ctd atleast that is for nmm dunno for vortex how work or mod manager telling in my opinion also alot mods broking skyrim so be carefull what u installing