AMD Ryzen 5 Stock Cooler

Hello,

i noticed that my stock cooler seems to not cool enough.
The temp goes easily up to at least 86C. I noticed it first, as the computer was shutting off frequently during Fallout 4.

First, i did not related it to my cooler.

Now, i took it out and applied new paste. But that seems to not helped for the temps. They are still high.

This image has all the information. I am thinking of getting a better cooler.

Cheers

2021-06-15 17_36_03-Greenshot.jpg

12 hours ago, 27X said:

You need a Noctua. Simple as.

Well, i order me one yesterday. I used to have one small one before.

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-l9x65-se-am4/p/13C-0005-00113?Item=9SIAADY5BC4478&cm_sp=9SIAADY5BC4478_1_DM__product_-_-Pers_EmailOCRelatedItemNVTC_exist-_-2021-06-15t18%3a00%3a33.329z&cm_mmc=TEMC-Order-Confirmation-Responsive-US-_-CR-_-RecommendProduct-_-9SIAADY5BC4478

My GFX is more tied airflow. I have a SoundBlaster installed below it, since that were the slot is. And the graphics card is still cooler than the cpu.

I wondered for some time, why my Fallout is sometimes lagging. Character walking like with broken knee caps. But i realize that it was because of the hot cpu. My worst fear was actually that my gfx is dying. At this time and point, that would be the end for me since i can not afford to shell out huge amount of money to buy a gfx. I have one in reserve but its older and not as powerful as what i have.

Anyway, i hope that will solve the problem. 
It seems correct that the stock cooler is great. But as i unmounted the cooler, it seemed not enough paste was there. So i applied more from what i had left. That did not solve the problem. The first time i had a problem with a cooler. Before i had intel cpu's.

Thanks, guys.

Cheers

The stock is better than it used to be by far, but PSU and CPU-integral components are simply not be fucked with if you intend to keep the computer for a considerable length of time.

Edited by 27X

Ah, the PSU. I had several die on me. At the moment i have an EVGA PSU from BestBuy in it. Not the best, i am sure.

That is another thing i want to change. Just not right now. One with modular cable management. 

46 minutes ago, wutpickel said:

One with modular cable management. 

Those are awesome! I got a Corsair 650 W 80+ Gold certified fully modular ATX for a new pc I was going to build. Ended up not being able to and decided to use it and and the gpu to upgrade my old potato. Not having to fuck with extra cables in a mini ITX case really helped with the cramped space. Still want to build a new pc and that PSU is one thing I shouldn't have to worry about for a long time.

Oh, and I found a Samsung 1440 monitor in a thrift store and paid a few dollars for it. You'd be surprised what kind of stuff shows up in those places and the managers have no idea what it's worth (or care really). But yeah I've heard from many places that you just don't skimp on your core components or you'll pay the price eventually.

Edited by KoolHndLuke

Agree.

Though the cooler had not a paste. I think it was already on it. Which lets me believe that it may not suitable for gaming. But that is just my guess really.

Got to check more often the thrift stores. :) Down the line i want to build my pc for 2K. My monitor is "just" HD. Ist ok. I needed a monitor quick and this one had two HDMI inputs so i was able to hook up my SNES mini to it.

So update.

I received the cooler. Installed it.

Same thing happens. Now i am think it maybe the PSU. But that is just my guess.

I mean, with this massive cooler, it should actually work.

Possibly the Corsaid RM Series 750W since that is what BestBuy has which i looked up on Newegg.

I just never had that happen with a cooler. Its not really rocked science. moaw...

p.s. it leads me to believe that the stock cooler was actually ok. Sad.

Edited by wutpickel

Its strange. Fallout still crapped out on me.

Now i installed Skyrim SE to check if the same behavior will happen. It did not. It runs actually great Bethesda style.

I am thinking that a mod is causing it. Do not know for sure, but there are not many options really.

I installed also Ryzen Master and it tells me that i have with Fallout 4 about 60C. The max is 90C. The game still lags though. I assume that is a different issue then.

At least no shutdowns.

Stresstest went also great.

So what gives. Dunno

Nope. Its so weird.

The temps are good. I just reinstalled FO4 and even with a new game lags like heel till the shutoff.

Not sure if that maybe a mobo issue? we had a blackout recently.

Windows?

My GFX? Though it operates normally temp wise. All the fans are spinning.

I even took the cooler out once again and reapplied the paste. Temps are normal. Though i noticed that RyzenMaster and Speccy show different results. But after reading the AMD page, even if it goes to 80C it should still operate.

I never really had that happen. 

FO4 is a standard as it comes installed.

I have an old Gforce GTX770Ti, that i could test.

But honestly. New PSU, new cooler. And still? So strange.

I checked today my old Evga 750Ti. It works fine with that.

seems my Amd card is not working anymore. 

I checked on Ebay for an older RX580 with 8GB. They run about $400 Dollar used. That would be a little better than what i have.

Are 4GB cards ok? That would save half the cost.

Thanks

2021-06-18 14_12_16-HWiNFO64 v7.04-4480 @ GIGABYTE B450 AORUS M - System Summary.jpg

Edited by wutpickel

I took my card apart and do some cleaning on it. Wonder if i should replace the fan's. My AMD software never detected any rpm from them. Though they were moving.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

If you were only having problems while playing FO4, then it isn't a hardware problem. It's with that game somehow.

Sadly, i have to correct that. I actually have the same problem with other games as well. The difference is perhaps how heavy loaded some games are and others not. 
Skyrim seemed fine though the limping walk was there also. I tried Battlefield 1 and it was as bad as FO4.

But that is just my guess.

Anyhow. I managed to disassemble my card and cleaning it. I will put it tomorrow together and see if the fans are still good and up to speed. I think the card is actually ok still, but had a lot of dust and hairs. I have cats.

For years i did not put the side door on my pc because it was broken. Stories.

With 750Ti it seems fine, though at much lesser details. The cards only has 2GB of ram. But good to have a spare card.

Edited by wutpickel

Great news.

After i cleaned my gfx card, it seems to work just fine now.

I started FO4 and before everything was stuttering pretty quickly. Now its the flow. Smooth.
So in conclusion, i think new thermal paste and cleaning did the job. For now, as long it stays that way, i do not need to buy another card. By these prices currently, who would want to do that.

Since the card had no other issues, i think i still have a functioning card.

Here are some photos i took from the card, if you are curious.

Cheers.

p.s. these pictures were taking after cleaning.

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

Edited by wutpickel