How to make a great character

This question i am having is about how to make a preset without going through the racemenu.

Is this possible and if yes, how would i do that?

I always find that in racemenu i do not get my character the way i envisioned it.

But i never looked into the how to do it differently.
So, what would you suggest in doing it?

Thank you

4 hours ago, wutpickel said:

This question i am having is about how to make a preset without going through the racemenu.

I always find that in racemenu i do not get my character the way i envisioned it.

Thank you

I'm terrible at designing characters from scratch, so I agree with @Dodzh. Personally I just used the Imperial Fiery preset from Myst's Racemenu Presets, tweaked it a little bit and changed the haircut until I ended up with something I was satisfied with.

SCREENSHOT.png

Well, i hoped it would be easier. But i get it.

Though, anyone know how you would do it?

In the meantime i will browse presets:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to create my characters based on real people or models from other video games. I use the steam browser to look them up and try to copy their faces. Takes some time to get better at it but it helps you understand how faces "work"

Edited by petiqu

I actually meant that mod had a lot of options. :)

At the moment i like to experiment and spend some time with crafting faces.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dodzh said:

my advice, search and download one preset you like, making one takes way too much time, time I personally rather spend playing.

Yep I second this comment, just get a good preset and change somethings here and there and tada!! you got a Beautyful waifu 20210520195513_1.jpg.84f3ffa796a62425ac4fda613f9b391d.jpg

The car will not go until you fill it up.
There is no other way to make a preset, except until you go to Racemenu and start trying to make a preset.

You need at least 1360 px width screen to read it

If You are on phone open Spoiler below!...

Spoiler

It rly depends on what You think is Beauty... 

if You can draw, it will help you a lot to make good looking character

You can use GIMP to draw Face you like and then use it as reference in game

You can actualy see your reference in Game Window by using little trick

1) Draw face You like

2) use GIMP option to play it as Animation ( it does not matter if there is only 1 frame )

3) on TOP BAR in Animation Menu you have option to unattach Animation from Gimp window

- Make sure GIMP Window is above Skyrim window

4) after You unattach Animation ( 1 frame Animation ) move it over Your character face in Game...

and do changes... easy ^_^

Ofc. there is few "rules" that u need to follow... in order to make good looking character

like for example:

- Nose should never point down, should be UP 

- Mouth witdh, chin position, eye "outer" should make "Triangle formation"

never square or circle... i mean... it depends... but in my opinion square / circle shape looks like shit

and ofc. You always start from Eyes... first You make Eyes and then You build Nose -> Mouth ( in this order )

If You can't draw... You can just look at other ppl arts or try to find ppl atractive to You and make them in game

There is also Mod that can automate it for You -> https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/104130?tab=files

Ofc. this pic is same face at face above ( thats Lucy, but different makeup and Hair ^_^ )

Here is different Preset i made: ( Tatsu )

Tbh. im just watching some ppl who makes

rly good Arts and im following them...

I'm also trying to make it myself... 

so u should try too... 

And You can watch that YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOvvFK_EhrX9exQ-jkLPg8w

72850_20210316112310_1.jpg.5f9ba87d5e672d2a4c7fc21caf119177.jpgIt rly depends on what You think is Beauty... 

1) Draw face You like

2) use GIMP option to play it as Animation ( it does not matter if there is only 1 frame )

3) on TOP BAR in Animation Menu you have option to unattach Animation from Gimp window

4) after You unattach Animation ( 1 frame Animation ) move it over Your character face in Game...

Ofc. there is few "rules" that u need to follow... in order to make good looking character

like for example:

never square or circle... i mean... it depends... but in my opinion square / circle shape looks like shit

and ofc. You always start from Eyes... first You make Eyes and then You build Nose -> Mouth ( in this order )

If You can't draw... You can just look at other ppl arts or try to find ppl atractive to You and make them in game

There is also Mod that can automate it for You -> https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/104130?tab=files

72850_20210401221951_1.png.fa461f2d7e4daf3f12460b606ae94629.png

Ofc. this pic is same face at face above ( thats Lucy, but different makeup and Hair ^_^ )

72850_20201028110208_1.png.d8d32047d636235495d96bf041c2d9d8.png

so u should try too... 

7 hours ago, zer02 said:

The car will not go until you fill it up.
There is no other way to make a preset, except until you go to Racemenu and start trying to make a preset.

I thought, that some creators use tools like GIMP to create a form and import it.

It sometimes looks to beautiful where i think that the creator did not just sit there in the racemenu to create it. But, maybe i just did not see its potential. I do not know.

4 hours ago, -̒̈́̕?̖̪̼?̒̈́̕??̒̈́̕?- said:

You need at least 1360 px width screen to read it

If You are on phone open Spoiler below!...

Reveal hidden contents

It rly depends on what You think is Beauty... 

1) Draw face You like

like for example:

so u should try too... 

72850_20210316112310_1.jpg.5f9ba87d5e672d2a4c7fc21caf119177.jpgIt rly depends on what You think is Beauty... 

1) Draw face You like

like for example:

72850_20210401221951_1.png.fa461f2d7e4daf3f12460b606ae94629.png

72850_20201028110208_1.png.d8d32047d636235495d96bf041c2d9d8.png

so u should try too... 

Yes, that is what i was thinking. Thanks, dude. I will try that out. (with my limited skills)

Drawing faces is actually pretty hard. I did some drawings, bought a book once and i have to say, its not easy to make it look like an actual being. But i really like to try that just for the fun of it.

Thanks for the tip. :)

17 hours ago, wutpickel said:

I thought, that some creators use tools like GIMP to create a form and import it.

It sometimes looks to beautiful where i think that the creator did not just sit there in the racemenu to create it. But, maybe i just did not see its potential. I do not know.

I have never used any third-party programs to create a number of presets,I think that the main influence on the creation of the preset of the face is affected by these user parameters :
- creative abilities.
- perseverance, attentiveness...
- a lot of good mods and the ability to find them and use them for your own purposes.
- ability \at least a little experience in the sculptor (understanding the x,y,z axis, that is, three-dimensionality).

..and in general-creating a preset is creativity,how to approach the creation,where to start and what mods (tools) to look for-you need to understand yourself.

If you are going to start working with the preset in the next few days, and if you decide to work through Racemenu - this will not be correct, please note that you need Expressive Facegen Morphs for it.
If you decide to work through EСE (Enhanced Character Edit) - then you will not need additional mods for the face shape,moreover, I always prefer ECE,it has a more convenient sculptor,but, not so long ago, I had to abandon it, for a reason-most cosmetic mods and even gameplay, gave preference to the requirements for Racemenu.
And for some reason, ECE has stopped updating..it is sad..I have accumulated my experience in creating presets thanks to ECE.

Edited by zer02
29 minutes ago, zer02 said:

I have never used any third-party programs to create a number of presets,I think that the main influence on the creation of the preset of the face is affected by these user parameters :
- creative abilities.
- perseverance, attentiveness...
- a lot of good mods and the ability to find them and use them for your own purposes.
- ability \at least a little experience in the sculptor (understanding the x,y,z axis, that is, three-dimensionality).

..and in general-creating a preset is creativity,how to approach the creation,where to start and what mods (tools) to look for-you need to understand yourself.

If you are going to start working with the preset in the next few days, and if you decide to work through Racemenu - this will not be correct, please note that you need Expressive Facegen Morphs for it.
If you decide to work through EСE (Enhanced Character Edit) - then you will not need additional mods for the face shape,moreover, I always prefer ECE,it has a more convenient sculptor,but, not so long ago, I had to abandon it, for a reason-most cosmetic mods and even gameplay, gave preference to the requirements for Racemenu.
And for some reason, ECE has stopped updating..it is sad..I have accumulated my experience in creating presets thanks to ECE.

That is very true.

Currently i play Fallout 4 rather than Skyrim SE. So its perhaps a little different from the tools but they do more or less the same i think,

So i made a new character and i am actually pleased with the result. Creativity is always the main point i think. Eyes play an important role.

But mainly, i wish there was a blank template so you can craft within the system your own. Otherwise you change (at least its for me like that) something where the original template shines through.

Anyway, this is my newest result.

Thank you for the input. It really helps. Especially to know the behind the curtain details.

I always try to make my characters believable. Persons that can actually live right now minus the bigger breasts. I am not in to much fantasy for my own character.

2021-06-09 08_36_44-Fallout4.png

Edited by wutpickel
1 hour ago, timmy95 said:

If I satisfy all the requirements (texture, hair etc.), do racemenu presets from Skyrim LE work for Skyrim SE?

the result will be similar or very similar to the source preset:
- if the conventions for sliders are met

- if the textures of the cosmetic mods are not different (skin, eyes,hair)

don't forget about lighting mods.

Edited by zer02
28 minutes ago, timmy95 said:

If I satisfy all the requirements (texture, hair etc.), do racemenu presets from Skyrim LE work for Skyrim SE?

No, it does not. But importing nif file is working , the only thing is that the head .nif file is different in structure. 

You need to use sse nif optimizer to convert a head part from le to se. Then you can import it.

On 5/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, wutpickel said:

Thank you

The race menu and its sliders is just a very first step in creating a pretty or good looking character. 60% of work should be done in sculpting part of a RM. And still, you probably want to use HPH or at least CurtisHead. And a hi-rez textures ofc.

Edited by Crw
My gramma is bad, sry.