SCARS VR Loading Screens

View File

banner2.png.9a69bf273da6fcd9712afe0107577aee.png

SCARS VR Loading Screens

Survival - Creatures - Abuse - Rape - Slavery

As a nubile yet strong adventuress I want a very dark and brutal Skyrim.  I wanted to create a set of loading screens to reflect this gritty world. 

I think of them as dreams, fears, or tavern stories that serve as a cautionary tale for overstepping my ability or under preparing for a dungeon dive.
This is a loading screen mod meant for SkyrimVR.  I will work on adapting it to SSE toward the end of development.  
In VR there will be sets of 2D panels that wrap around the player. These panels will tell "stories" of life in this oppressive Skyrim.

Current Status:

Working Alpha V.4.2 (see proposed versioning below)

No tool tips

141 loading screens - stories are triptych panel configuration - containing multiple images for each panel - new rare five panel stories

Next update:
I NEED A HERO! I have the 16X9 nif in the download section called HELP.nif  - I have several 2 panel stories that I want to release be need the modified mesh.

Hopefully someone can help with the mesh work

(I need a curved mesh for the diptych panels.  The aspect ratio needs to be 16:9.  There will be two 16:9 curved panels to give a 180 degree around the camera effect.  It could look like a panel with four 20 degree bends equally spaced.  I have never used blender and I assume someone can do this way faster than me.) DM for the flat mesh I need modified.

Installation:
Download the .txt file.  It will show the DL link for Mega where the mod is hosted.  (This gets around the 200mb limit for LL) Download the mod and install as usual.

HOWEVER YOU MUST CHANGE you skyrimVR.ini or your loading screens will be miniature.  Skyrim has a max size for the loading screen Nif meshes.  These will need to be increased to allow large images that surround the camera.

Change these skyrimvr.ini settings (use ctrl + F to quickly find the fUIMistMenu_MaxModelSize & fUIMistMenu_CameraFOV_G)

fUIMistMenu_MaxModelSize=655.0000
fUIMistMenu_CameraFOV_G=30.0000

Note for skyrimvr.ini

This file is usually located in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim VR\

However
If you are using MO2 you need to adjust the ini within MO2 as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ov9b1Gr6Ho&t=196s

If you do not like the mist get this mist remover.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

See the file previews.  There are two examples of the panels and their layouts.  The loading screens are to be viewed left to right and the panels from top left to bottom right These are scaled down in resolution and size. Note these images don't capture the true size in VR.  In VR they are towering images that wrap around the camera.  The screen shots of multiple panels are from 15ft back to give an example of how the panels curve around the player camera.

Design Philosophy:

Spoiler

All the images are high quality 3D renders. The images in this mod are mostly lore plausible (granted devious devices and a whole slew of other LoversLab mods are no where near canonical).  The locations, clothing, accessories, etc. should all be mostly believable within a (heavily) modded Skyrim.
The loading screens thematically follow these major mods from my LO: Defeat, Simple Slavery, Creature Framework, Devious Devices, Sexlab Survival, Parasites, Bathing, Fertility, Fill Her Up, & Various Added Creature Mods
I have adjusted the image properties to be best viewed for my setup (Index).  Images have reduced lightness/brightness to deal with unwanted god rays.  I also prefer slightly darker images. I have increased contrast to combat SkyrimVR blurriness, but I also use CAS sharpener.  I often ever so slightly desaturate the images as they approach the end of the story if it is non-consentual.  This matches the mod Better warnings fading to black and white as stamina is depleted which is great in a no UI VR.

Examples of content you will find:

Spoiler

This is from the possible images for this pack, but not representative of what is currently in the .esp

Mostly: Creatures, Non-Con, Creampie, Slavery, Bondage

Plenty: Animals, Consensual, Solo, Group
Some: F/F, Tentacles, Parasites, Gore, Excessive Bulging
Few: Pinup, Bathing, Famous Video Game Characters, Futa (maybe cropped to be unnoticeable)
None: M/M

Compatibility:

Spoiler

This should be compatible with anything as it only changes the loading screens and main menu logo. I have switched other loading screens out with this mid play through without problem (sextreme & iluvloading).

It is set to 100% replace all other loading screens.  If you have another loading screen replacer, I think whichever is lower on the load order will appear in game.  Future versions may have a FOMOD for frequency to allow other mods to show as well.

I believe some mods like UltraWide will make other adjustments that could conflict.
The tool tips will start with this mod (when added) and then cycle from this mod to Skyrim defaults or other mods' tool tips.  I believe this is inevitable but I am interested in any input here.

If you want this for SSE now, just rename the SCARS .dds texture files to another loading screen replacer's filenames.  Replace the other loading screen's .dds with the renamed version.  They are in 16X9 ratio. Relevant SSE compatibility post.

Upgrading:
Simply download, install the newest version, replace, and remove the older version.

How you can help:

Spoiler

If you see anything that looks like a problem (story out of order, wrong panel in story, texture pathing missing, etc) let me know in the support page.
I need text to describe the stories.  Anyone who wants to write copy can.  With the text, I need the mesh number for the loading screen. The story has to be short (no longer than 225 characters long).
I also have had my eye on an image set that would be perfect for this mod.  If you have 5$, would like to help, DM me.  I would have you can donate to a subscribestar and get me those images!
I need a curved mesh for the diptych panels.  The aspect ratio needs to be 16:9.  There will be two 16:9 curved panels to give a 180 degree around the camera effect.  It could look like a panel with four 20 degree bends equally spaced.  I have never used blender and I assume someone can do this way faster than me.
If you have suggestions for content, please direct message me instead of putting it in the support section.

Image Credits:

Spoiler

I have found these images from all corners of the internet.  I am not the originator of their content. I am only an editor.  If you have questions about any individual artist I will try to remember the source. Kindly send me a message on LL instead of a post on the support page.  If you appreciate their artwork, you should support them in any way you can. If you are the artist and want me to remove any sets please message me details.

I used Photoshop for the image adjustments and layout. The .dds files were complied by the script found here.  I have done mesh editing and texture paths in Nifscope.

Proposed Versioning:

Spoiler

.1 (alpha) - DONE
- create triptych panels
- harvest images for mod
- test altering image properties (balance, brightness, contrast, saturation, etc)
- properly sequence meshes with textures for story order (view left to right)

.2 (alpha) - DONE
- have triptych panels ready as templates (fix shadow issue, alignment, position)
- release first set of triptych stories (smaller set for feedback)

.3 (alpha) - DONE
- release larger set of triptych stories
- work on getting a convex option for diptych panels (180 degree with two 90 degree curved panels)

.4 (alpha) - Current
- finish diptych/Varied panel templates
- release first set of diptych 5 panel stories (smaller set for feedback)

.5 (beta)
- create title screen for SCARS (cut out letters with image in background)
- more experimental panel types/quantity/layout
- work on story descriptions (tool tips) (hopefully outsource to some mod users)

.6 (beta)
- release more varied stories (shooting for less than 2Gb files size to fit in BSA restrictions)
- continue work on story descriptions
- work on different panel layouts

.7 (beta)
- finish crafting full set of harvested images into touched up stories (ungodly amount of image candidates)

.8 (full release candidate)
- finish story descriptions

(full release)

.9 (alpha for sse)
- first pass at SSE version
- SCARS title screen compact into one image for SSE Main Menu

1.0 (beta for sse)
- fix any sse issues

(full release for SSE)

v1.1+
- possible different aspect ratios
- more stories
- more panel layouts
- possible video into for SCARS

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    03/23/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    eyes
  • Regular Edition Compatible

On 3/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, LeroyJenkinsBrother said:

I'd be curious to know what mods you have installed that contribute to a dark and brutal playthrough... I might have missed some of those!

Many of these loverslab mods I've had a difficult time getting working in VR... which ones do you recommend?

Thanks!

Yeah I hear you.  For the most part almost all SSE mods I have tried work.  I put it at a good 90-95% functionality.  However, there are some VR camera/body/controller specific issues that come up.  Out of those I have found probably 75% have a work around or I am okay without that specific feature.  After nearing 1000 hours in flatrim,  SkyrimVR feels fresh and even better.  So ultimately, I feel like any sacrifices made in the transition are worth it.  By far a fully modded SkyrimVR is the best gaming experience I have ever had.

I knew the specifics of my mod list would come up and I have planned on creating a step by step for a SCARS list but fear the pedantics.  I have around 250hrs in SkyrimVR and have imported much of my MO2 for SSE over to VR. 

Spoiler

image.png.02fc1b591fb8f96b4ee37371bb0e3c51.pngJust testing XD

Basically my mod list was not built up from scratch for VR. I am still (even after hundreds of hours) crafting my list.  I also am waiting for certain events to trigger in this test run to check for functionality.  I am also waiting for spell wheel VR to release. When I turn off the mod search brain, I will not alter my list and settle into life in Skyrim.

When I say brutal Skyrim, I want it full of racist/sexist/hasty inhabitants but I don't want to feel overly burdened with debuffs and continual Devices hindering typical play.  Even after so many hours I still enjoy being a "heroine" despite the amount of distress the world places on me.  Much of the brutal world is built with mods like Horrified Prisons, Diabloesque Decorations, Sexlab Survival, Defeat, Simple Slavery, Devious Followers Continued, Devious Carriages, etc... As for now anyone else inquiring about my set up will have to deal with this as a reply, until this mod is complete.

A few notes for this list:

- I do not support it.

- There are mods in it that have broken elements in VR without tweaks/workarounds/etc that I will not detail yet

- Some mods are tests/patches/compatibilities that are not publicly available and are still in a trial phase

- There are several plugins that are merely placeholders (not activated) that have or will be cycled out on the official full play through on a new save

- FEMA is completely borked for VR.  Do not attempt!

- Currently testing Corruption with weightmorphs for body change instead of Hormones (which is having issues)

Spoiler

WILL NOT SUPPORT - just for reference

Spoiler

updated 4/18/21 loadorder.txtmodlist.txt

If you are looking for VR specific support check out the Virtual Reality section of LoversLab.

3 hours ago, JayDrizzle said:

Yeah I hear you.  For the most part almost all SSE mods I have tried work.  I put it at a good 90-95% functionality.  However, there are some VR camera/body/controller specific issues that come up.  Out of those I have found probably 75% have a work around or I am okay without that specific feature.  After nearing 1000 hours in flatrim,  SkyrimVR feels fresh and even better.  So ultimately, I feel like any sacrifices made in the transition are worth it.  By far a fully modded SkyrimVR is the best gaming experience I have ever had.

I knew the specifics of my mod list would come up and I have planned on creating a step by step for a SCARS list but fear the pedantics.  I have around 250hrs in SkyrimVR and have imported much of my MO2 for SSE over to VR. 

Hide contents

image.png.02fc1b591fb8f96b4ee37371bb0e3c51.pngJust testing XD

Basically my mod list was not built up from scratch for VR. I am still (even after hundreds of hours) crafting my list.  I also am waiting for certain events to trigger in this test run to check for functionality.  I am also waiting for spell wheel VR to release. When I turn off the search I will not add anymore mods and settle into life in Skyrim.

When I say brutal Skyrim, I want it full of racist/sexist/hasty inhabitants but I don't want to feel overly burdened with debuffs and continual Devices hindering typical play.  Even after so many hours I still enjoy being a "heroine" despite the amount of distress the world places on me.  Much of the brutal world is built with mods like Horrified Prisons, Diabloesque Decorations, Sexlab Survival, Defeat, Simple Slavery, Devious Followers Continued, Devious Carriages, etc... As for now anyone else inquiring about my set up will have to deal with this as a reply, until this mod is complete.

A few notes for this list:

- I do not support it.

- There are mods in it that have broken elements in VR without tweaks/workarounds/etc that I will not detail yet

- Some mods are tests/patches/compatibilities that are not publicly available and are still in a trial phase

- There are several plugins that are merely placeholders (not activated) that have or will be cycled out on the official full play through on a new save

- I have Fluff's active but will not keep it (too many patches required to be made for each mod that adds a beast race)

Hide contents

If you are looking for VR specific support check out the Virtual Reality section of LoversLab.

Wow! Thanks for that list! There are mods on there that I had not known they existed.  Do you ever get the spinning camera issue... particular with zaz animations?  I was messing with the prison mod you mentioned and it happened again this morning... suddenly the camera rapidly spins... I'm sitting here nauseous now... I think it has something to do with the zaz animations at least.

Thanks again!

Yup that is one of the major issues with a few mods in VR.  I can not play without POP, so I found a work around I will explain below.  The camera spin is a known issue in SkyrimVR and can also happen on the intro wagon ride scene.  The other LL mods that I found it happening on are horrible harassment expanded (probably also drunk redux by babo) and naked dungeons when in the bandit captivity event.  I am almost certain that it has to do with an AI package that some mods use and not the zaz furniture itself.  You can test the zaz furniture in isolation by selecting it and your camera will not spin.  The intro sequence, HH, and Naked Dungeons do not use the furniture when the camera starts to spin.

I have contacted Inte, the author of POP and SUM, about this very issue and am awaiting a follow up. 

Now for the work around.  You need to have Skyrim Utility Mod installed to even have POP work.  There are two ways to fix the POP camera spin that I have found.  The first is in the SUM MCM you can go to the zaz pose section and stop the pose.  There are no hotkeys for this so it is a bit immersion breaking, but I accept the brief camera spin as my PC being disoriented.  This option does not work for the other mods that induce the same spin.

So, the second fix is the superior option.  The SUM MCM also has a System tab that has a hotkey bind for a PC AI control UI.  When activated you can choose to "release all*" and the camera spin is stopped.  You can then manually interact the the pillory or whatever.  Consider binding the hotkey to a VIRK gesture (super helpful for getting dressed/undressed, eating, potions, etc) or a Dragon Born Speaks naturally command. Tricky spot locating the .ini for DSN (\Steam\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\Data\Plugins\Sumwunn\DragonbornSpeaksNaturally.ini) for me.  (Something like this could work "stop the spin=press <your keybindgin for PC AI Menu hotkey in SUM>")  I haven't tried the DSN approach to activate the SUM hotkey because I often have troubles with DSN commands.

Currently I am still waiting on Inte for a bit of info on what POP and SUM are actually doing in these cases.  There may be a easier or alternate fix soon™.

Edit - The camera spin is from the papyrus SetVehicle confirmed here under the spoiler for LoveSlaves for FlowerGirls.  I am considering creating VR patches for mods with SetVehicle or (hopefully) there is an easier console command option.  Soon™.

Another Edit - Patches can be found here :

Any other spinning issues leave a support message in that thread.

13 hours ago, ntblood said:

Aren't SUM and POP Oldrim mods? I mean I don't see SE versions.

Sounds like FO4 VR could use your talents getting better animations to play if you ever get to playing that game in VR. I've only seen solo work.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/89767-fallout-4-vr-working-adult-mods/page/3/

SUM and POP had unofficial ports for a year or more by nomaz.  Now they have official conversions done by @Herowynne and they did an amazing job.  The only issue is VR specific and discussed a few posts up.  Find the files in the dl section of POP and SUM and they are at the bottom of the list and named xazPrisonOverhaul - Patched 461 SE.zip and Skyrim - Utility Mod 161 SE.zip  SUM is almost a necessity for VR due to solution to the camera spin problem mentioned above.

It's hard to keep up but there is always the SSE conversion thread here and it is constantly being updated.

I don't have FOVR yet as I am worried my rig can't handle it.  I need a major upgrade but I need a bit more funds and the 30xx series cards seem scarce.  I will get to it eventually while waiting for Starfield to release and the modding scene to establish.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

No major complaints on the first alpha, so I am doubling the amount of stories from 50 to 100.

Working Alpha V.3.3

Added 50 new loading screens - stories are triptych panel configuration - containing multiple images for each panel

Next update:
I NEED A HERO! I have the 16X9 nif in the download section called HELP.nif  - I have several 2 panel stories that I want to release be need the modified mesh.

Hopefully someone can help with the mesh work

(I need a curved mesh for the diptych panels.  The aspect ratio needs to be 16:9.  There will be two 16:9 curved panels to give a 180 degree around the camera effect.  It could look like a panel with four 20 degree bends equally spaced.  I have never used blender and I assume someone can do this way faster than me.) DM for the flat mesh I need modified.

Simply download and replace the previous version.  Overwrite if asked and you can disable the v.3.2

17 hours ago, ramparam34 said:

so can i use this for non vr skyrim or not?

If you check under the Compatibility section from the title page it will give you a small how to.  Technically, I think the current .esp will load 100 loading screens but you will only be able to view one of the three panels.  Currently there would be 200 panels that you would never get to see (2/3 of the story).  This is because the SSE loading screen is "locked" onto one image.  I am planning on creating an SSE only version where you have access to all the images, but it will require a bit of work. I want all the panels to be completed before I start that.  A technical and possilby insurmountable hurtle would be; the SSE version will also only have one panel visible of a larger story set.  The full gallery of panels cannot fit into a flatscreen monitor without compressing all the images smaller than would be visibly legible.  For the SSE version all panels could be called by the .esp for a loading screen, just not all panels of a story concurrently (three at once).

Imagine in VR it is like standing back and looking at a gallery full of canvases.  You can step closer to an image set you want to get a better look at.  For SSE you can only have one canvas and it is right in your face.  You can't walk around and see the others.

Let feedback if it works for you.  These images are also in 16X9 aspect ratio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, llokii70 said:

The link goes to a anon download link that attempts to install a trojan unless your security software catches it. Malwarebytes caught it immediately.

Thanks for catching this!  I didn't know there was a popup window, as I use ublock on any site that I DL from.  I have updated the link to MEGA in case there are other users who don't use blockers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, stel said:

fUIMistMenu_MaxModelSize=655.0000
fUIMistMenu_CameraFOV_G=30.0000

In what section this parameters? i dont see it in ini.

Note for skyrimvr.ini

This file is usually located in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim VR\

However
If you are using MO2 you need to adjust the ini within MO2 as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ov9b1Gr6Ho&t=196s

If you do not like the mist get this mist remover.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Killjoy101 said:

Is there a non-VR version of this ? 

This will work for SSE but you will probably only see one of the panels.  I actually have no clue.  Test it and let me know.  You might see all three panels... let me know.  Eventually I will make a stand alone SSE version, but that is a ways off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just thinking of this mod yesterday and wondering if it was still being actively developed. 

Disregard the crossed out parts that I wrote earlier, I did some digging and now understand the situation. 

A couple of suggestions:

1. Consider making a "clean" version that doesn't have the extra dependencies - these master relationships were all created just by removing the loading screens from those mods, and that's something that should be easy to put in a patch.
  2. This mod seems to have more meshes than it needs. It really only needs one mesh for each panel configuration (3 images, 2 images, whatever); then you can just make texture sets in xEdit or CK for the other sets of pictures. I doubt this will make any sort of difference in terms of size, since the nifs are so small, but it would simplify the process of adding more screens. No need to create new nifs and rig up images on that end. I'd be happy to discuss how to do this in more detail in messages if it would be helpful.

Any progress on SSE support, or is it still in the "works, but you can't see the left and right triptych panels" situation?

Edit -- Actually, looking at the assets I think this mod should be pretty easy to get working in SSE, and also reduce the number of meshes it comes packed with as well. However, this mod has a lot of masters that don't necessarily seem to be related to the assets. Would it be possible to get a cleaned version so I can load it into xEdit and see how its structured on the back end?

image.png.1a074442633d64f14ba8559d76c0596e.png

Edited by gregaaz
2 hours ago, gregaaz said:

I was just thinking of this mod yesterday and wondering if it was still being actively developed.

Haha, yeah I took a prolonged break from VR and development.  I am back with a loading screen update and will begin to work on the VR patches soon.  This mod is more of a personal project that will be slowly, but continually worked on until I complete the posted proposed versioning.  My top priority will always be making patches for VR and actually living in SkyrimVR.

Consider making a "clean" version that doesn't have the extra dependencies - these master relationships were all created just by removing the loading screens from those mods, and that's something that should be easy to put in a patch.

image.png.1a074442633d64f14ba8559d76c0596e.png

Thanks for catching the required masters issue.  I have a patch to upload and I will re-up the original soon.

Here is the Patch .esp for the Version .4.1 that has those masters removed:

SCARS Loading Screens.esp

Edit -- Actually, looking at the assets I think this mod should be pretty easy to get working in SSE, and also reduce the number of meshes it comes packed with as well. However, this mod has a lot of masters that don't necessarily seem to be related to the assets. Would it be possible to get a cleaned version so I can load it into xEdit and see how its structured on the back end?

I still am not sure how it will work with the multi-part stories in SSE.  If you load each of the individual story parts by themselves, they will be disjointed from the other related panels.  This might not be a deal breaker, but rather an inconvenience.  I was and am still unsure how I will adjust this for the SSE release.  I would want to stories unified in one loading screen, but it would be impractical to have them all crammed into one.  Thoughts?

This mod seems to have more meshes than it needs. It really only needs one mesh for each panel configuration (3 images, 2 images, whatever); then you can just make texture sets in xEdit or CK for the other sets of pictures. I doubt this will make any sort of difference in terms of size, since the nifs are so small, but it would simplify the process of adding more screens. No need to create new nifs and rig up images on that end. I'd be happy to discuss how to do this in more detail in messages if it would be helpful.

I would be up for learning, but you are correct that this is negligible on space savings.  I also spend 99.9% of the development time editing the actual image sets into the storyboard style and adjusting the levels/color balance/lightness/etc.

4 hours ago, JayDrizzle said:

I still am not sure how it will work with the multi-part stories in SSE.  If you load each of the individual story parts by themselves, they will be disjointed from the other related panels.  This might not be a deal breaker, but rather an inconvenience.  I was and am still unsure how I will adjust this for the SSE release.  I would want to stories unified in one loading screen, but it would be impractical to have them all crammed into one.  Thoughts?

It's a tricky problem. I looked around and could not find any mods that add VR-like camera behavior to SSE loading screens. Too bad, that would have been the easiest solution. TBH, even the middle panel doesn't look that great in SSE, as they start half way zoomed in and have an empty caption box taking up a lot of screen real estate. 

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a solution would be to use the loading screen conditions to ensure the sequences of panels show in order... so there'd be the normal random chance of any of the "A" panels showing up, but then is 10A loads, this would set off a condition that would force 10B, and then 10C to load on the subsequent loading screens. Thus, over the course of their adventures, the player would see each story organically. This would also help support players who, due to fast loading times, don't have time to fully appreciate the whole story in one sitting.

Having said all that, I haven't worked with the loading screen conditions enough to be confident this is easily - or at all - doable. You might need to consult with more experienced load screen modders for advice.

4 hours ago, JayDrizzle said:

I would be up for learning, but you are correct that this is negligible on space savings.  I also spend 99.9% of the development time editing the actual image sets into the storyboard style and adjusting the levels/color balance/lightness/etc.

If you find yourself in a situation where you think cutting out the Nif work and only doing the texture swaps in xEdit would save you time, drop me a line and I can walk you through how to do texture sets. I did a private mod for Rath's Chainmail that did something similar (the game repacks the same nif over and over with just different textures) and it not only dramatically reduced the size of the mod, but it made expansions a lot less work to add in. Not as strong a use case here, though -- so I'll only bug you about it if you think it will add value :)