I get the subtle hint. But I'm not making a crawl animation. I want my mermaids to use legs on land and a tail in the water. Everything else is just useless and ridiculous in my opinion.

Maybe I was hinting, but it was a different kind of hint.

I will explain the kinds of mermaid.  First, the one you have in mind, that has legs on land, and tail in water, is just like any other humanoid race that will equip a tail when they start to swim. They don't have any race changing script, which is a good thing because the game sometimes CTDs with that script. Upon returning to land, or even just in shallow water, as long as they are no longer swimming, they will get legs. Also since the game may sometimes take slow to process, there will be instances where they are standing while still tailed. They won't get a tail when it's raining. It's just like the mermaids in the sims 3 island paradise.

The second mermaid, what mtaman has in mind, is a mermaid that involves a race change. When they start to swim, their legs will transform into a tail, that's when the race change happens. When they get back on land, or in shallow water, they will still be tailed and flopping/crawling, until a certain amount of time and get legs. They also have the choice when to be tailed or have legs whenever they want, since it won't look weird when they have tail on land and not use walking animation.

I get the subtle hint. But I'm not making a crawl animation. I want my mermaids to use legs on land and a tail in the water. Everything else is just useless and ridiculous in my opinion.

Maybe I was hinting, but it was a different kind of hint.

I will explain the kinds of mermaid. First, the one you have in mind, that has legs on land, and tail in water, is just like any other humanoid race that will equip a tail when they start to swim. They don't have any race changing script, which is a good thing because the game sometimes CTDs with that script. Upon returning to land, or even just in shallow water, as long as they are no longer swimming, they will get legs. Also since the game may sometimes take slow to process, there will be instances where they are standing while still tailed. They won't get a tail when it's raining. It's just like the mermaids in the sims 3 island paradise.

The second mermaid, what mtaman has in mind, is a mermaid that involves a race change. When they start to swim, their legs will transform into a tail, that's when the race change happens. When they get back on land, or in shallow water, they will still be tailed and flopping/crawling, until a certain amount of time and get legs. They also have the choice when to be tailed or have legs whenever they want, since it won't look weird when they have tail on land and not use walking animation.

Wouldn't a mermaid race with legs seem very generic in the long run while playing Skyrim on-dry-land-based content? Having legs could reduce this race into mere nords with custom water spells. What's the creators opinion on this?

Suppose that she does not have legs..you will face the following issues.

1. Creation !

Vannila start starts from Helgen.. At beast you will be able to crawl to the nearest LAKE. if you dont find any wolfs on the way. Wich you will

Alternate start mods starn Gods know from where... so.. crowling and dying again.

2.Game play.

Suppose you do make it to the sea.. Now what? You wil swim a bit and then... then what? You will loot a couple of chests in shipwrecks and find some armor that you can't use since you can't go to land, Find some money that you can't spent since you can't go on land, and propably a sword that you also can't use since there is no battle underwater. 

In other words, if the mermaid can't have legs and walk on land she is practicaly... a Fish.

And a dead one if you find any Slaughterfish. Because they Do attack underwater.

My opinion. :-)

Suppose that she does not have legs..you will face the following issues.

1. Creation !

Vannila start starts from Helgen.. At beast you will be able to crawl to the nearest LAKE. if you dont find any wolfs on the way. Wich you will

Alternate start mods starn Gods know from where... so.. crowling and dying again.

and propably a sword that you also can't use since there is no battle underwater. 

And a dead one if you find any Slaughterfish. Because they Do attack underwater.

So what if she fights those enemies while crawling? or she could get legs.

Mermaids are not like any other playable races, being a half fish, it enables them to attack underwater. If you actually read some of the posts.

Well I still prefer if they can walk. If the player can turn to a mermaid similar to turning to a werewolf, or automaticaly when in water..

Anyway..

You played a mermaid...

So the animations are there...(i.e. the skeleton too)

The spells are there,

the behaviours are there..

So why isn't this a ready mod? 

You dont have the mesh?

The good thing is, we will probably release two versions, or three, depending on what type of mermaids people want. It's not too difficult to change.

Yes I played a mermaid, but I didn't say it was a mermaid with an exploding untextured mesh, and the male version is even not rigged. The mermaid's crawling on land is the same crawl on all fours animations, it's not very mermaidy since mermaids don't have knees. That is why.

Because the upper body was supposed to be the upper body from the bodytype the player is using. 

That's what the original plan was. When they started this thread they were examining that the tail would be equiped as an armour piece.

Even if it is not, and in order to become a mermaid the entire body changes, then there will have to be versions that use the upperbody of at least the popular body types. CBBE, 7B, UNP.

Even if, only one body is used (UNP for example) then one has to take this tail and replace the lower body from that bodytype. 

So in other words, as it is, no it cannot be used in Skyrim.

What I am trying to ask...

So you dont need this then:?

attachicon.gifmertail.jpg

Where did you get this? WANT NOW as a resource for myself (not really for Skyrim -wellmaybe- but I am slooooowly learning 3DS Max and Bodypaint. I'd make some changes to it to fit my personal taste.

If you'd post the source, publish the file if you're the author, or just PM me about it, I'd be very grateful.

1. Creation !

2.Game play.

Suppose you do make it to the sea.. Now what? You wil swim a bit and then... then what? You will loot a couple of chests in shipwrecks and find some armor that you can't use since you can't go to land, Find some money that you can't spent since you can't go on land, and propably a sword that you also can't use since there is no battle underwater.

In other words, if the mermaid can't have legs and walk on land she is practicaly... a Fish.

My opinion. :-)

I adressed this a few posts back. I'll try to reformulate my thoughts into a condensed format.

We'll assume mermaids are very magical beings, not just some half-fish thingies that seamen rabble about in the port bar.

Let's say they'll get powers fit for magical beings of the deep, lore-wise, and those powers are water spells!

Now, the player would get to fling balls of water at enemies, having a stagger or even knock-down/ragdoll effect (based on spell tier) analogous to the other destruction spell classes (fire ads burning and is extra deadly against animals and the undead; lightning burns magicka; ice depletes stamina).

Now that we've got the lore background, my solution to land-based mobility:

The mermaid could summon a cushion of water beneath herself with surface tension mimicking rock, and the mermaid would use it as a hover skateboard or magic carpet of some sort to wheelchair herself around the place. The creature would stand in a waterbowl, standing upright in an 'S' shape. The water cushion summoning would be automatic, triggering whereever the base game would use walking, running, jumping or sneaking animations. Really, it would just be a custom animation path for this race including an attached water VFX and SFX. To further reinforce the lore, we could give the mermaid increased magicka regeneration while in water, 'cause she doesn't have to indefinitely sustain a spell.

Because the upper body was supposed to be the upper body from the bodytype the player is using. 

That's what the original plan was. When they started this thread they were examining that the tail would be equiped as an armour piece.

Even if it is not, and in order to become a mermaid the entire body changes, then there will have to be versions that use the upperbody of at least the popular body types. CBBE, 7B, UNP.

Even if, only one body is used (UNP for example) then one has to take this tail and replace the lower body from that bodytype. 

Then why the heck did you ask if we will need it? We can't even use it in game,.

Then why the heck did you ask if we will need it? We can't even use it in game,.

10740233-emoticon-pointing-a-gun-on-his-

oook, then, sorry,

Forget that I asked 

:sleepy:  :sleepy:

If you guys want to try, I conformed a mermaid body to Unified UNP, so you can use bodyslide2 to shape it to any body. But I didnt tested it in game yet.

This is it:

I can even try to fit it into a male body if you guys want. I'm not a pro, but if what you need now is at least an "alpha model" for testing purposes, that should help.

holy shiiiit yes. :'D

as far as im concerned this is fuckin perfect. :'D

and as far as male bodies gooo, which one are ya thinkin bout usin? :U

I use a custom male body that uses resources I still dont have permission to share. The only other male body I have downloaded is the one used by SOS.

So, for the moment, your choices for male body are SOS or anything else you can upload or show me where to download.

In the attachment goes the Bodyslide files to create mermaid bodies and example mermaidbody_0 and mermaidbody_1

This body requires xpmse 2.14 skeleton.

I also think you'll need the original "Unified UNP" bodyslide files to create other shapes in Bodyslide, you can find that mod here in LL or in the Nexus.

UNP Mermaid Body.7z