I've collected all six mermaid races, the animations and the tridents and zipped them into an archive. I hope the original authors are okay with this (after all, I only took what was published here).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6e8r1qx4xriddb/Mereid.7z?dl=0

Out of all the mermaid meshes posted here, the only one that I was able to use in skyrim was Eb's. Is this just a compilation of all of them, or you edited them to be useable in skyrim. The animations that were posted are only the swimming and the two handed magic animation. Are these all the animations, or you've added more?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't check the archive, but you're more than welcome to include my mesh in the archive as well. Firepower02 has a copy of all of the versions of my mesh including a copy that works in Skyrim with crappy weights but with no texture.

I don't have 3ds Max anymore or an interest in creating 3d models or even playing Skyrim anymore, but I'd still be willing to do a bunch of texture paints for this and maybe add a few fins. If someone could provide a fixed up version of my CBBE mesh in .blend format ready for texture painting, I'd totally do it.

I can't remember what exactly all was wrong with my mesh. I think it's just weighted incorrectly so it doesn't line up good in-game. I can't be 100% sure though. It's been over a year since I've seen it. One problem might be that the vertex count between the _0 and _1 meshes were different so the mesh exploded during body slide, but now that there's the BodySlide creator thingy, it might be able to run it though that to fix that problem. I don't know though. There might also have been something weird with the shaders. Or even the actual mesh doesn't line up correctly either. Someone who knows better than I do should look into it.

EDIT:

With having only a limited amount of experience in 3ds max here is the idea for transferring weights from a CBBE mesh to a new mesh.

1. Start with the _0 version of a mermaid mesh and import it into 3ds max along with a standard CBBE mesh with weights

[save as - close 3ds max - re-import]

2. Do a skin wrap to copy the weights from the CBBE mesh to mermaid

3. Import the mermaid animation files and start weighting the mesh.

5. Save as final 3ds max version.

4. After the _0 mesh is weighted, import it into BodySlide to generate the _1 mesh automatically from the weights. This way the vertex count remains Identical.

NOTE: Don't forget to save new versions often. It's easy for you to screw things up. And by you screwing things up I mean 3ds max likes to screw things up.

ANOTHER NOTE: Somewhere in the process you need to create seems so you can create a UVW map. It's baked into the .nif file so you have to do this before you export the .nif.

ONE MORE NOTE: I noticed a few 3d meshes in this thread that were created with tris instead of quads. You should always use quads. They animate better and look better in game. I'm pretty sure the shaders are optimized for quad meshes too.

The problem with moving on solid surface could be subverted by making the mermaid ( or merman ) float in mid air, like one Skyrim actor foot above ground, and have a water effect play underneath. The story immersion explanation would be that since mermaids are magical creatures, they have enough magical power to endlessly cast a water alteration spell beneath themselves when on ground. In-game, this could be further reinforced by doubled or maybe even tripled magicka regeneration while in the water ( 'cause the mermaid doesn 't have to sustain the spell when she's swimming ). I'm not really sure about arctic wind survival, that would be pretty waky, but if the mermaid didn't have morphing legs, all armor's, both vanilla and mod-added would need special versions: boots would be tail padding. SexLab animation compatibility would be completely broken, so when making movement anims, you'd have to make a few basic consensual ex and rape animations, so people could at least use defeat, prostitution and spouses enhanced. Also, the fish scales would have to retract a bit around the part where a woman's vagina would be, to allow for sex (assuming we'll make mermaids mammals).

In all, the mod'd be a fine change in pace, but a lot of work has to be done before it'd be even alpha-ready.

With regard to my previous post

The mermaid race could have a suite of racial traits, mainly bacause they'd be floating on a cushion of water (if my ideas were implemented). A cushion of water would make quite a lot of noise, but terrain would then present a not so big problem, water-based spells could be added instead of flames etc.

Idea:

Hydrodynamics - speed of movement both on land (including "sprinting") and in water could be upped by 20% (across the board)

Splashing stride - 35% decreased sneaking effectivity

Nimble body - a mermaid's body is slimmer and more fragile, but also more agile: starts with 80 health, -40 carry weight and 120 stamina

Marine sorcerer - flames could be replaced by a water-based spell of a similar kind (constant, continual dps), maybe having a staggering effect. Flame spells can set targets on fire for damage-over-time and can be chained together for boosted damage, Frost spells damage stamina, Storm spells damage magicka, Water spells could stagger, and adept and master water spells could knock enemies to their knees or ragdoll them as weak versions of Fus Ro Dah. Additionally, being in water could boost mana regeneration threefold.

Blessed health - mermaids enjoy a number of blessings, the most notable, having an in-game effect, would be increased disease resistance.

I just have to wonder, if your mermaids have enough power to constantly levitate/float on land, why couldn't they just have enough power to gain legs? Also, being a creature that lives mostly underwater, don't you think won't need armors to swim freely?

Well, in my opinion, the whole point of having a mermaid race is for people to act like they're the Naga, Nami, or some mythical creature from any mythology you could think of. Think about how much time you spend in the water anyway. If I'm going to spend most of my time on solid ground, then why go through the whole hassle of making a race with a fish tail if I'm just going to shapeshift into the form a human?

Having armors with different models (same way as there are female and male versions, there'd be a mermaid one) would allow people to still apply the same enchantments and armor bonses as they would with otherraces.

Think of the water cushion as the reason for the levitating. As in, the mermaid's not levitating through magic, but she/it's held above ground by the enchanted water itself. So the mermaid wouldn't have enough power to shapeshift, but, since the creature has a natural talent for manipulating water, it could use it as it's wheelchair.

oi, but if my friend does animations, that meaaaans

all we'll need is someone to make textures for suludi's mermaid, and rig and texture the merman, and we'll be done (personally, i'd prefer an assed version, but ehhhh)

after that, i'll toss together the racial bonuses, firepower will do the FINIS stuff, aaaand huzzah, mers for modders resource. :u

edit: Bookburner, if we ever get that anthro shark head, and a shark tail, ohohohoho

Feel free to ass them all you want. ^^

if i was any good at 3d modeling, i would in a heartbeat. :'D

I'm not a big fan of the shark thing, but if the mermaid got to keep her tail on the surface world, could she have retractable scales around the pelvis bone area (animatable or HDT) that would reveal a woman's instruments for sexlab compatibility (telescopic dicks for males)? Also, I mentioned befre that I'd move the breasts upward; I correct myself, I meant move the shoulders down a bit (the breasts seem to be positioned too low and it gives them a slightly saggy look).

Feel free to ass them all you want. ^^

if i was any good at 3d modeling, i would in a heartbeat. :'D

I'm not a big fan of the shark thing, but if the mermaid got to keep her tail on the surface world, could she have retractable scales around the pelvis bone area (animatable or HDT) that would reveal a woman's instruments for sexlab compatibility (telescopic dicks for males)? Also, I mentioned befre that I'd move the breasts upward; I correct myself, I meant move the shoulders down a bit (the breasts seem to be positioned too low and it gives them a slightly saggy look).

exposed dicks/vags/butts in or out the water would be niiiiiice

Just so you get the message correctly, I'll repeat myself one more time:

exposed dicks/vags/butts in or out the water would be niiiiiice

The request:

Dynamical genitalia exposure (applies ONLY if the race keeps its tail and gets NO LEGS on the surface)

- normal UNP and male genitalia hidden in the tail

- either animatable or HDT-controlled "gates" to the "preciousness" (see UNP HDT vagina project)

- with females, scaly "gates" open to reveal man's most beloved orifice, the tunnel of infinite pleasure

- with males, a long an slim, telescopic penis would extend out of seemingly nothing (would require scripting detecting sex scenes)

- custom animations for consensual sex and rape, to maintain SL compatibility (H=human, M=mermaid; m=male, f=female): 1x missionary for all variants - HmMf, HfMm, HmMm, HfMf, MmMf; 1x standing - HmMf; pussy rubbing - HfMf, MfMf; blowjobs standing (human is on the receiving end) - HmMf, HmMm, HfMf, HfMm; blowjobs laying on the ground (mermaid is the one who receives) - HmMf, HfMm, HmMm, HfMf; anal - mermaid flat on the belly (real simple, just so we have an anim with an anal tag).

DOING THESE ANIMATIONS IS A LOT OF HARD WORK, SUGGEST OUTSOURCING ON LL.com

i got the message, i was just saying how nice it would be to have exposed junk, all the time. :U

and sex stuffs? maaaan, thats another thing for another day, hell, if the mermod ever gets done, then someone else can handle all the sexmods

unless you wanna help look for someone. :U

Nah, I'm a mere student of the craft. I probably won't do much better than the creator of AP. However, if you want the mermaid race to be big here on LL, you'll definetly need SL compatibility. Otherwise, just post it on the Nexus.

To start off, modelling the genitalia (perhaps hide them inside the tail), making a few custom armor meshes for the tailed body and adding a note on the download page asking people to contribute to the mod with compatible anims and more meshes might help the mod (if it gets finished) rise more quickly on LL and receive more support. Otherwise, it might be just a small mod left in the shadow of other, larger race mods. Similar to how the unplayability of Snow Elves led to the creation of the True Falmer mod, the only reason to get a mermaid race mod would be because of the initial surge of awesomeness of playing as a mermaid, but once that fades, the race'd have nothing more to offer, even less if they would look like ordinary Nords when on dry land. I just see awesome potential in this, and would like the mod to rise among some of the legends of Skyrim modding... occupy a spot somewhere around UNP, CBBE, Falskaar, the Ashen, Temptresses, Ningheim and Lunari, Sjel Blad castle...

oi, well, like i said mangooo, these mers are hopefully gonna be a modders resource thing, just the bare bones of a mermaid race tha'ts:

Playable

Works with the tail on/off land

You can make followers with

after that, if peeps wanna do SL stuff with it, the race is there for them to work on, but as it is now, just gettin the race made is taking some time.