• 2 months later...

How hard would it be for me to delete the More Bandit Camps slaves?  This mod is the perfect final piece of the puzzle for my mod loadout, but I really dislike More Bandit Camps occupying Skyrim's already limited wilderness spaces, and it is indeed awkward having the stranded slaves alone in said wilderness.  I have next to no knowledge of Skyrim modding and next to no experience with the Creation Kit, but I'm willing to learn—I'd like to know what I'd be getting myself into, though.  I'm pretty okay at modding Stellaris with a text editor, but that's about the extent of my skillset.  

Or, of course, it'd be awesome if there were an option for vanilla-camps-only here. 

---

Also, unrelated, I just want to shout this out:

On 2/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, Herowynne said:

This mod's goal is to be as lightweight and compatible as possible.

I really appreciate this approach.  I feel like there's a strong—completely understandable—tendency for creators to want to implement every additional idea they have, especially in passion projects as most mods are.  Sometimes that produces massive, sweeping projects with amazing results, but more often it just produces bloat.  Three cheers for subtractive design.  

2 hours ago, SleinJinn said:

How hard would it be for me to delete the More Bandit Camps slaves?  This mod is the perfect final piece of the puzzle for my mod loadout, but I really dislike More Bandit Camps occupying Skyrim's already limited wilderness spaces, and it is indeed awkward having the stranded slaves alone in said wilderness.  I have next to no knowledge of Skyrim modding and next to no experience with the Creation Kit, but I'm willing to learn—I'd like to know what I'd be getting myself into, though.  I'm pretty okay at modding Stellaris with a text editor, but that's about the extent of my skillset.  

It is very easy to use SSEEdit to open this mod's ESP file and delete whichever NPC-character-placement references you do not want, under the "Cell" and "Worldspace" groups.

Let me know if you need more guidance with that, and I can post a screenshot or two.

Thanks, that was fast!

Okay, I've never used SSEEdit before, but this is how we learn.

Based on a side-by-side comparison of the list of camps from the More Bandit Camps page on Nexus and the list from your mod here, it looks like there are 15 slaves in expanded content.  Since one of them has my favourite voice and a cute name, and I thought it'd be a fun Easteregg to have a single slave abandoned in the wilderness to search for, I left Pippa in.  So I've got my list of camps and slaves to remove:

Spoiler

6. Camp Arcius (outdoor)

1. Female Imperial F-Shrill Ava the Stolen

7. Camp Bronin (outdoor)

1. Female Imperial F-Commoner Bella the Broken

8. Camp Cloverhedge (outdoor)

1. Female Redguard F-Commoner Agnes the Stolen

2. Female Nord F-YoungEager Nina the Helpless

10. Camp Frostcliff (outdoor)

1. Female Nord F-Nord Sasha the Wretched

11. Camp Hrjoldarr (outdoor)

1. Female Imperial F-Commoner Ashla the Slave

12. Camp Jolfingand (outdoor)

1. Female Breton F-Coward Della the Broken

13. Camp Mossfall (outdoor)

1. Female Imperial F-Commoner Marna the Broken

14. Camp Overwatch (outdoor)

1. Female Nord F-Shrill Zia the Vanished

15. Camp Percius (outdoor)

1. Female Nord F-Nord Hanna the Missing

2. Female Imperial F-YoungEager Pippa the Forsaken

16. Camp Redfox (outdoor)

1. Female Redguard F-Commoner Anna the Lost

17. Camp Steadwatch (outdoor)

1. Female Nord F-Coward Tamitha the Broken

2. Female Breton F-EvenToned Jorena the Slave

18. Camp Vallus (outdoor)

1. Female Nord F-EvenToned Riyana the Forgotten

When I expand the "Cell" tab in SSEEdit, it looks like everything there is Vanilla.  But under "Worldspace", I have indeed located all fourteen slaves who are scheduled for liquidation.  But I'm not sure what I should do from here.  Do I simply select them all, right click, and hit "Remove"?  I've watched a couple of SSEEDit/TESVEdit tutorials, but none of them seem to deal with similar aims; I don't need to create a new override plugin or anything that they discuss, right?  Also, it looks like these are just the instructions to place the NPCs in the world; should I also "delete" (once I'm clear on more precisely what is meant by this) the NPCs themselves?

Thanks again in advance!

EDIT: Just had a thought that would be nice for a future version; probably way beyond what I'm trying to do here, but dunno, maybe it's deceptively simple.  How hard would it be to set it up so that the slaves are in the "bleedout" state when you find them, so that they're immediately eligible to be taken as PAHE slaves?

Edited by SleinJinn
11 hours ago, SleinJinn said:

But under "Worldspace", I have indeed located all fourteen slaves who are scheduled for liquidation.  But I'm not sure what I should do from here.  Do I simply select them all, right click, and hit "Remove"? 

Yes, exactly.

Also, it looks like these are just the instructions to place the NPCs in the world;

That is correct.

should I also "delete" (once I'm clear on more precisely what is meant by this) the NPCs themselves?

No, that is not necessary.

So, I've done it.  So far, it seems to work correctly.  If anyone who uses More Bandit Camps wants to give me a couple of cell names for COC, I'll double check to make sure they're really gone, but it looks like it should be okay.  Thanks for the helpful guidance!  

Would you like me to send you the edited file or to post it here in case others have the same need?

Edited by SleinJinn
16 minutes ago, SleinJinn said:

Thanks for the helpful guidance!  

Would you like me to send you the edited file or to post it here in case others have the same need?

You are welcome! And feel free to post your modified ESP file here.

(For ease of future searchability.)

DeviousBanditCaptives.esp without additional slaves from More Bandit Camps:

Simply replace the .esp from the download with this one if you don't want to use More Bandit Camps and don't want to have a bunch of random slaves wandering the wilderness.  Note: There will still be one random slave wandering the wilderness; this is an intentional Easter egg.

DeviousBanditCaptives.esp

On 10/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, Herowynne said:

You are welcome! And feel free to post your modified ESP file here.

By the way, did you have any thoughts on this?  

On 10/12/2021 at 3:49 AM, SleinJinn said:

Just had a thought that would be nice for a future version; probably way beyond what I'm trying to do here, but dunno, maybe it's deceptively simple.  How hard would it be to set it up so that the slaves are in the "bleedout" state when you find them, so that they're immediately eligible to be taken as PAHE slaves?

On 10/11/2021 at 6:49 PM, SleinJinn said:

EDIT: Just had a thought that would be nice for a future version; probably way beyond what I'm trying to do here, but dunno, maybe it's deceptively simple.  How hard would it be to set it up so that the slaves are in the "bleedout" state when you find them, so that they're immediately eligible to be taken as PAHE slaves?

I don’t use PAHE, so I can’t comment on how it works.

Regarding NPC bleedout state, I haven’t tried that. I don’t know if it can be set in SSEEdit. Give it a try and see if it works!

1 hour ago, Herowynne said:

I don’t use PAHE, so I can’t comment on how it works.

Regarding NPC bleedout state, I haven’t tried that. I don’t know if it can be set in SSEEdit. Give it a try and see if it works!

I see something in the NPC data called "bleedout override" that's set to zero, so probably I can figure out how to do it.  

So here's a really basic question about using SSEEdit and best practices—remember, I'm a total newb at this.  Should I be editing the installed .esp directly, or should I be utilising "copy as override" or "copy as new record" to sort of patch the installed .esp, I guess?  I'm not really clear on the mechanics of that stuff.  

EDIT:
Hmm.  So I created an override copy and experimented with that field a bit to no avail.  It's 0 by default, so I thought it might be a binary on/off, but changing it to "1" had no effect.  Then I thought it may be the health percentage at which they enter the bleedout state, so I tried changing it to "100", and that also had no effect.  Google seems to have no information whatsoever about the function of this field.  Anyone have any ideas?  It seems to be the only candidate for what to edit based on my ability to make sense of what I'm seeing in the NPC records, but said ability is rather limited, so I may be approaching this from the completely wrong direction, too.

EDIT 2:

Well, actually, it seems like I'm doing something more fundamentally wrong, so I have no idea whether my guesses about the function of that field were right or not.  Just to verify my patch was working, I tried editing the slave's name, and that didn't show up in game, so my doesn't seem to be having any effect at all.  Any idea where I'm going astray?  I guess this comes back to my initial question...

Edited by SleinJinn
40 minutes ago, SleinJinn said:

So here's a really basic question about using SSEEdit and best practices—remember, I'm a total newb at this.  Should I be editing the installed .esp directly, or should I be utilising "copy as override" or "copy as new record" to sort of patch the installed .esp, I guess?

Either approach is valid, depending on your goal.

Skyrim SE has ESL-flagged ESP files for patches, unlike LE, so the patch approach is very useful in SE.

44 minutes ago, SleinJinn said:

experimented with that field a bit to no avail.  It's 0 by default, so I thought it might be a binary on/off, but changing it to "1" had no effect.  Then I thought it may be the health percentage at which they enter the bleedout state, so I tried changing it to "100", and that also had no effect.  Google seems to have no information whatsoever about the function of this field.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with setting NPCs to bleedout. Perhaps someone else will provide some info.

30 minutes ago, Herowynne said:

Either approach is valid, depending on your goal.

Skyrim SE has ESL-flagged ESP files for patches, unlike LE, so the patch approach is very useful in SE.

Could you explain that a bit further?  I don't really understand these flags, but maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.  When I created my override .esp file, SSEEdit offered me a choice of various combinations of ESL and ESM flags and file extensions, and not knowing what any of it does, I just defaulted to the .esp option with neither ESL nor ESM flagged.

1 hour ago, SleinJinn said:

Could you explain that a bit further?  I don't really understand these flags, but maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.  When I created my override .esp file, SSEEdit offered me a choice of various combinations of ESL and ESM flags and file extensions, and not knowing what any of it does, I just defaulted to the .esp option with neither ESL nor ESM flagged.

Yes, SSEEdit offers all the different varieties of Master and Plugin files. If you are creating a patch for SE, then an ESL-flagged ESP file is the best choice.

6 hours ago, Herowynne said:

Yes, SSEEdit offers all the different varieties of Master and Plugin files. If you are creating a patch for SE, then an ESL-flagged ESP file is the best choice.

Can you say why?  I think I understand the difference between .esp and .esm, but I don't know anything about ESL, unless it stands for "English as a second language".  ?

Anyway, I can confirm that that wasn't the problem; I tried an ESL-flagged .esp, and it still isn't doing anything.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Here's exactly what I've done:

1. Open SSEEdit, select none, and then select DeviousBanditCaptives.esp
  2. Expand DeviousBanditCaptives.esp, right click on "Non-Player Character (Actor)", and select "Deep copy as override into..."
  3. In the window that opens, select a new .esp with the ESL flag and call it DeviousBanditCaptives_-_PAHE_Patch
  4. Change Pella the Slave's name under "Packages" -> "FULL - Name" so I have an easy verification in-game if it's doing anything.  

... and it's not doing anything.  So I can't say what effect any changes to the "Bleedout Override" field would have.  

3 hours ago, SleinJinn said:

I tried an ESL-flagged .esp, and it still isn't doing anything.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

You have to activate the ESP file that you created, so that the game uses it. If you use MO2, you activate the ESP file by ensuring it is checked in the MO2 right pane.

You can post the ESP file here in a comment, and I can take a look at it.

Ah ha, get focused on learning the new stuff and forget the obvious thing.  Of course.  Thanks yet again.

EDIT: Okay, so adding the .esp I created as a mod (on Vortex—I know I should probably switch to MO2, but I'm just not ready to undertake that big project at the minute), it "works" inasmuch as I can see it's doing something—the name change went through.  But nothing I do with the "Bleedout Override" field seems to accomplish anything.  So I don't really have any idea how one might accomplish the task of forcing them to be in the bleedout state when you encounter them.  If anyone else does, I'd love to hear it, and I'll create and share a PAHE patch.

Edited by SleinJinn
  • 3 weeks later...

I just want to say that I've been looking at getting back into skyrim with the Anniversary edition about to drop and this mod looks great.

I also really appreciate the active support, the understanding that active support is so great (since that's one stated reason for not just importing needed files from dependencies) and the focus on a lean approach. 

Just keep up the great work. I'll be sure to give it a try after the anniversary update comes out.

• 1 month later...

I was able to combine this mod with Damsels in Distress. So now you can have sex with them using the dialogue from DiD1. All I did was give them the faction from the other mod.

I also removed the relationship records, so now you gotta increase relationship rank to make them a follower. I really just wanted to leave them where I found them. They will serve their new bandit owners when the cells reset.

DeviousBanditCaptives.esp

Features:

-requires DiD1 -the mod linked

-no bandit camp requirement thanks to Antiope_Appolonia.

-have to increase relationship/make friends to make captives followers.

use mods like SLEN or RDS (relationship dialogue system)

-can start sex using dialogue from DiD1.

you won't get dialogue for already loaded captives. you will get it on newly spawned ones.

i guess faction data gets baked in and i don't know how to reset it. i tried resurrectactor and recycleactor.

Edited by ssskn