Porting Meshes from Skyrim to Oblivion using Blender

kosukosu1

Going from Oblivion to Skyrim has several stages.

First stage is to convert the rest pose of the body from Oblivion to Skyrim.

For that, I'd recommend using Convert Pose from my tool collection: http://kgtools.org/

It's included in the same package that includes Mesh Rigger, Clothing Converter, and Seam Mender

Next, you want to re-rig the Oblivion nif to use Skyrim bones.

For that, use Mesh Rigger with a *similar* skyrim body as the template.

In Mesh Rigger:

a. Under Game, select 'copy version from template' This will automatically update the Oblivion file version to a Skyrim version

b. Disable Vertex Index Search, UV Search, Select Bones, Copy Havok, Customize Meshes, Flatten Skinning

c. Enable Copy Weights, Delete All Weights, Replace Bones, Replace Partitions

d. Allowed Genders: Both, Template Material Type: depends on your template mesh

OK, once your mesh has been posed and re-rigged, you need to convert the clothing/equipment to fit an existing Skyrim body style and generate the _1 and _0 nifs.

The first step will be to generate a lattice that will handle one of the conversions (either _0 or _1). The lattice is just a file that stores all of the data necessary to convert one nif into the shape of another. Generating a good lattice is generally the tricky part.

Oblivion to Skyrim is going to be particularly tricky. Since this involves a conversion between bodies that use different texture standards (can't use UV search), the initial conversion should start with the most closely matching Skyrim body.

You will want to make two lattices.

1. Oblivion to Skyrim: To nif should be the Skyrim body you want to convert to (I'll assume it was _1.nif). From nif should be the Oblivion body. Uv Search and Vertex Index search should be Off.

2. Weightslider: From nif should be _1.nif. To nif should be _0.nif. (or vice versa if you converted the Oblivion nif to _0.nif) Vertex Index Search should be On. UV search should be on (as a backup, probably won't get triggered)

OK, so now you have your lattices. What next?

3. Run Clothing Converter on the folder of nifs that you want to convert. Default settings should be fine. Select the oblivion to skyrim lattice.

4. Open the nifs from the Clothing Converter output folder in Nifskope. Delete the bodies. Branch-copy the Skyrim body from step 1 onto the scene roots. Save them.

5. Run Clothing Converter on the updated nifs. Use the lattice from step 2.

6. Rename the nifs in the Mesh Rigger output folder to *_1.nif

7. Rename the nifs in the Clothing Converter output folder to *_0.nif

At that point, the meshes should be properly sized and rigged for Skyrim, however it will still have the Oblivion material block and texture block instead of the skyrim shader block.

You'll want to manually replace those in Nifskope. I'll probably make a tool for that, someday...(I've been saying that for months)

• 6 months later...

I did everything correctly up to part "2. [...] copy the bone weights from the Oblivion body"

You say "the corresponding body mesh of the oblivion body" but I have upper body and lower body but only one mesh covering whole body. Should I parent this with upper body or what? Upper and lower simultaneously doesn't work. Or should I split Skyrim mesh or connect Oblivion body parts into single one?

Whatever I choose in next part attaching mesh to skeleton make it screwed. 

"5. Attach the Skyrim mesh to the normal Oblivion skeleton (in Oblivion pose)" I have to import vanila Oblivion skeleton, right?

And what options should be marked in exporting to nif?

I'm using skeleton in your link, HG EyeCandy Body and trying to convert Serana robe from Skyrim.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm lost here "

• Now your body is converted to the Skyrim pose, but you need to apply the pose. To do this, select the upper body mesh and hit the Make Real button
  • Then hit the Apply button for "Scene Root.01" - that's the skeleton"

I using a different blender and these does not display in mine. The "Make Real Button".

. Create a version of the Oblivion body of your choice in the arms-down Skyrim pose, using gerra6's Pose Converter to convert the skeleton to the Skyrim Pose.

•  
  • Open blender 2.49b, import your chosen Oblivion body. I imported the upper and lower bodies.
  • Delete the skeleton (right click skeleton, hit X)
  • Hit 'A'to select all your meshes (should just be the body parts you imported)
  • Import the complete Oblivion skeleton from above
  • In the import options, Choose "Import Skeleton Only + Parent Selected"
  • Your Oblivion body should now be rigged to your complete skeleton:
  • Now let's use gerra6's awesome Pose Converter script - select the skeleton and go to Object -> Scripts -> Convert Pose
  • Note that the chosen object is called "Scene Root.01" - you'll select that on the next part
  • Choose the Convert Pose to Skyrim button and hit Done
  • Now your body is converted to the Skyrim pose, but you need to apply the pose. To do this, select the upper body mesh and hit the Make Real button
  • Then hit the Apply button for "Scene Root.01" - that's the skeleton
  • Now your body should be permanently in that position - hit Tab to go to Edit Mode to make sure your mesh is in the Skyrim pose
  • Go into Pose Mode and choose Pose -> Apply Pose as Rest Pose - this permanently changes the skeleton
  • Export the NIF to get a body you can use for future conversions of Skyrim meshes

Here is a HGEC Body done with these steps to make things easier also includes the skeleton with BBB support : D

Notes. To get to Pose Mod click the skeleton not the body. Also hit Make Real / Apply  - Button. 

HGEC-FULL w skeleton PLUS.nif

Also use

Nifscope 1.1.3
Blender 249.2

Archived